Should BHVR stop supporting last gen?

I'm just speaking from a hypothetical standpoint here.


many games are dropping out of their support for last gen due to outdated hardware.


If you think about it last gen is actually holding back current gen.


BHVR keeps updating the game and providing graphical updates and new content but it's coming at a cost with last gen performance and working on last gen consoles could actually be slowing down current gen progress.


I don't know what will happen to last gen players but all your purchases should in theory be transfered over to the next gen consoles. So you won't be losing anything but having to buy a new console.

Comments

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339378#Comment_2339378

    They might of only stopped support with the PS5... But if you played any game that updated their game for the current gens. You would know they were unplayable on the PS3. I played a game called DC Universe for years. And when the PS4 came out and they started adding things for the next gen. I can tell you some raids were impossible to play on the PS3.

    Do you know what their inevitable solution was ? They stopped PS3 support long before PS5 existed

    another good example is GTA 5


    because they dropped support for the PS3 after PS4 came out

  • @Yamaoka said:

    Say it with me:

    DBD

    IS

    NOT

    A

    NEW

    GAME

    So it is supposed to work PROPERLY on old gen consoles - period !

    Even though I got lucky enough to get a brand new Series-X I will never respect the selfish mindset of people who want to treat old gen players like 2nd class. The game used to run decently on old gen consoles back then so why should they now accept the horrible performance issue ?

    Just because there's new consoles that are not even available everywhere ?

    but they are graphically updating it to be more inline with new gen

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339426#Comment_2339426

    but they are graphically updating it to be more inline with new gen

    allow me to point you back to this

    image.png

    RE Village, a true next-gen game, on the PS4

    image.png

    DBD, a 2016 game, on the PS4.

    And RE Village runs better

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339387#Comment_2339387

    another good example is GTA 5

    because they dropped support for the PS3 after PS4 came out

    They stopped DLC's a couple years after the pS4 came out. I know because that's when I upgraded.

    The servers for GTA 5 on PS3 are shutting down December 16th, 2021.

    image.png


  • Gotta give lord tony props on this honeypot thread tbh

  • @I_am_Negan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339524#Comment_2339524

    They stopped DLC's a couple years after the pS4 came out. I know because that's when I upgraded.

    The servers for GTA 5 on PS3 are shutting down December 16th, 2021.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/S6Z7D6E710WC/image.png

    okay and when was the last time they updated the PS3 online version?


    because if I recall PS4 got majority of the updates

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339565#Comment_2339565

    okay and when was the last time they updated the PS3 online version?

    because if I recall PS4 got majority of the updates

    I haven't played the PS3 since I switch to the PS4. My point was it will be a couple of years before games will stop getting updates on PS4.

  • Since they promised good performance on min specs and consoles, they should not.

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    many games are dropping out of their support for last gen.

    If you think about it last gen is actually holding back current gen.

    BHVR keeps updating the game and providing graphical updates and new content but it's coming at a cost with last gen performance and working on last gen consoles is actually slowing down current gen progress.

    I don't know what will happen to last gen players maybe they'll move onto next gen but I don't foresee devs working on last gen any longer

    Dude....Current Gen doesn't exist yet unless you got lucky. All of these "Next Gen" consoles don't exist for people in masse. It would be financial suicide to drop support until the silicone shortage goes back to normal. Which may not be until 2025 and thats being hopeful.

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    many games are dropping out of their support for last gen.

    If you think about it last gen is actually holding back current gen.

    BHVR keeps updating the game and providing graphical updates and new content but it's coming at a cost with last gen performance and working on last gen consoles is actually slowing down current gen progress.

    I don't know what will happen to last gen players maybe they'll move onto next gen but I don't foresee devs working on last gen any longer

    No, last gen support should not be dropped. I got DBD for free from playstation plus about 3 years ago, its worked in a relatively good fashion over the years. Its only recently that the game has had a significant drop in quality, game play wise. DBD itself is a 5 year old game so if it was brought to ps4 in a state where its playable I expect it to remain playable despite updates and additions. Like others have said there are many other games that run better despite requiring more resources that don't freeze, crash, or make my system sound like a jet engine. Buying a new system or a pc to play a 5 year old game doesn't make sense if it used to work fine for last gen consoles.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    The game is being held back by itself, not by old hardware. It's not a large, complex, ultra-hi-definition game, so why does it require that kind of hardware?

    The answer is simple; The optimisation is shite. The code is terrible, we already know that, the visuals are badly implimented, it allegedly loads nearly everything into a trial instead of what it needs...

    Uhhhh, this is in reference to LOD right? Not like.....entire maps and multiple maps that aren't even on screen right?

  • @bm33 said:

    Sony expects 70% of playstation store sales this financial year to be from ps4. The head of Playstation Studios said "You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business." Maybe they're stopping for Xbox 1 but Sony is still planning on releasing new games to ps4 for some time still.

    The newest Xbox Series S is actually widely available..... but for all the wrong reasons.

    A. Most of the games titles are either not out yet, or pretty much suck.

    B. Most of the consumers of the product still have no idea which ######### Xbox is the newest Xbox because of the dumbass naming structure.

    C. B shows why you keep things simple.

  • No, they should fix their game because it worked perfectly fine before and it can again.

  • @PigMainBigBrain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339349#Comment_2339349

    Uhhhh, this is in reference to LOD right? Not like.....entire maps and multiple maps that aren't even on screen right?

    I think she means that people went code digging and killer powers are treated like undroppable items and every single asset and every single line of code and for every single power and every single cosmetic for every single killer is loaded into every trial in one long line, which is why later killers are so badly optimised compared to trapper for example

  • @PigMainBigBrain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/264025/should-bhvr-stop-supporting-last-gen

    Dude....Current Gen doesn't exist yet unless you got lucky. All of these "Next Gen" consoles don't exist for people in masse. It would be financial suicide to drop support until the silicone shortage goes back to normal. Which may not be until 2025 and thats being hopeful.

    Friendly feedback BigBrain, the expression is 'en masse', not 'in masse'.

  • @PigMainBigBrain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339373#Comment_2339373

    The newest Xbox Series S is actually widely available..... but for all the wrong reasons.

    A. Most of the games titles are either not out yet, or pretty much suck.

    B. Most of the consumers of the product still have no idea which ######### Xbox is the newest Xbox because of the dumbass naming structure.

    C. B shows why you keep things simple.

    It also doesn't help that the s does have worse hardware than the x so people will look at the specs only and think they're better off waiting for the x

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339358#Comment_2339358

    Hate to tell you. But that's exactly what games do eventually. And even companies themselves. Games stopped supporting PS3 at some point. As did Sony itself. The same will happen for PS4. The same will happen for PS5 someday. No refunds given. Just because you bought it for a particular platform. PS4 is outdated and some day. Probably sooner then you'd like. There will be no support for it

    This is why people should switch to PC over a new gen console anyday, one day the PS5 or series x will have the same issue , PC won't ever have this problem and can be upgraded over time instead of all at once

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339368#Comment_2339368

    This is why people should switch to PC over a new gen console anyday, one day the PS5 or series x will have the same issue , PC won't ever have this problem and can be upgraded over time instead of all at once

    Still end up costing more.

    Also, I'm literally never switching to PC.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339958#Comment_2339958

    Still end up costing more.

    Also, I'm literally never switching to PC.

    You can get a decent gaming rig for like 600 dollars that will run plenty of games , that's fine if you never want to make the switch but don't complain when your out of date hardware isn't running games properly if you decide to choose that path knowing the outcome

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339995#Comment_2339995

    You can get a decent gaming rig for like 600 dollars that will run plenty of games , that's fine if you never want to make the switch but don't complain when your out of date hardware isn't running games properly if you decide to choose that path knowing the outcome

    Except when the hardware is still fully competent of running better, theoretically more intensive software then you have plenty of grounds to complain. See above for my comments on RE Village vs DBD

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339995#Comment_2339995

    You can get a decent gaming rig for like 600 dollars that will run plenty of games , that's fine if you never want to make the switch but don't complain when your out of date hardware isn't running games properly if you decide to choose that path knowing the outcome

    The hardware isn't out of date.

    If I switch to PC, I don't want a "decent" rig that will more or less be the same experience as my current Console. I want a better experience, which can easily hike up prices into the thousands

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340038#Comment_2340038

    The hardware isn't out of date.

    If I switch to PC, I don't want a "decent" rig that will more or less be the same experience as my current Console. I want a better experience, which can easily hike up prices into the thousands

    You can literally buy one for 600 that will run better than your current console I promise you that but it's fine some people like console better than PC and I understand that , some people have been there for years and don't want to start over with every game on a new system , performance wise biting the bullet and upgrading is your best bet

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340038#Comment_2340038

    Except when the hardware is still fully competent of running better, theoretically more intensive software then you have plenty of grounds to complain. See above for my comments on RE Village vs DBD

    Its mainly the way BHVRS code doesn't seem very compatible with console , the game should run fine on console because it's not a super in depth game but for some reason its never ran smoothly

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340058#Comment_2340058

    Its mainly the way BHVRS code doesn't seem very compatible with console , the game should run fine on console because it's not a super in depth game but for some reason its never ran smoothly

    It's never ran smoothly on pc either so maybe the issue isn't with the hardware

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340071#Comment_2340071

    It's never ran smoothly on pc either so maybe the issue isn't with the hardware

    Seems fine for me

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340060#Comment_2340060

    You can literally buy one for 600 that will run better than your current console I promise you that but it's fine some people like console better than PC and I understand that , some people have been there for years and don't want to start over with every game on a new system , performance wise biting the bullet and upgrading is your best bet

    and you have to pay for online to play DBD on console anyways


    So by switching to PC you;re saving money monthly.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340071#Comment_2340071

    It's never ran smoothly on pc either so maybe the issue isn't with the hardware

    That's your opinion , my pc runs this game perfect I never drop below 60fps even right now with all the complaints I don't drop but I'm also on a i9 processor with 16gb of ram and my graphics card has an additional 8gb so it can literally run this game in it's sleep

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340066#Comment_2340066

    and you have to pay for online to play DBD on console anyways

    So by switching to PC you;re saving money monthly.

    I know I can't believe people still fall into the console traps and refuse to believe they would be happier with a pc I used to be the same way until I finally made the jump

  • try playing dbd on the minimum specs, because i was doing that on slightly over said "minimum requirements" for about 2 years and i couldnt exceed 15fps. ever.

    minimum requirements to run the game at an acceptable level and i would never exceed 15.

    even now i get framerate drops (especially since 5.0.0) playing on my new pc, with some pretty impressive specs. modded minecraft with shaders for the shaders of the shaders' shaders can run at smooth 60 on this but dbd cannot keep stable. it's genuinely tragic.

  • Im having lag spikes on xbox one s, and the only way i can play is camping with bubba. Wish i was my fault, but it isnt.


    Or yes...?

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340089#Comment_2340089

    That's your opinion , my pc runs this game perfect I never drop below 60fps even right now with all the complaints I don't drop but I'm also on a i9 processor with 16gb of ram and my graphics card has an additional 8gb so it can literally run this game in it's sleep

    read the above comment about minimum specs. right now im getting fps drops with a gtx 1660, 32gb ram, and a ryzen 7 3700x (as well as a 1tb ssd) playing on low.

    suggested specs are an intel i3- with my cpu equivalent to an i7- and a gtx 760- gtx 1660 btw- and 8gb of ram- 32gb here. so, yeah, maybe it's the software.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340108#Comment_2340108

    read the above comment about minimum specs. right now im getting fps drops with a gtx 1660, 32gb ram, and a ryzen 7 3700x (as well as a 1tb ssd) playing on low.

    suggested specs are an intel i3- with my cpu equivalent to an i7- and a gtx 760- gtx 1660 btw- and 8gb of ram- 32gb here. so, yeah, maybe it's the software.

    Well I'm not sure why you would be having problems I agree that's strange

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340119#Comment_2340119

    Well I'm not sure why you would be having problems I agree that's strange

    Take a guess, and it isn't the hardware

  • Well mine runs fine so I can't really say what your specific problem would be

  • a decent computer costs about the same as console and you don't have to pay for monthly online fees unlike console

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339995#Comment_2339995

    You can get a decent gaming rig for like 600 dollars that will run plenty of games , that's fine if you never want to make the switch but don't complain when your out of date hardware isn't running games properly if you decide to choose that path knowing the outcome

    DBD was released last gen, so this excuse of “old hardware” doesn’t stick. There are plenty of more demanding games running better than DBD on last gen.

    Also, US is not the only country in the world, you know? It may cost that to you, but it’s not the same for everyone else.

  • The updates normally shouldn't cause such issues with last gen. The graphical updates and changes are still well within the capability of those consoles, and they have handled more intense games, which far exceed that of DBD, so I don't believe it's a gen issue.

    BHVR have said they're investigating an HDD issue, which sounds like an error their end and not a problem with last gen consoles anyway. Hopefully, the mid-chapter patch will solve it. However, because the PTB is not for console, I'm uncertain how they'd properly test the fix.

  • There much more graphically intense multiplayer games that run at 60 FPS on PS4/XB1. Overwatch, DOOM, and some COD games run at 60 FPS.

    DBD is a LAST GEN game that’s engine was built in the middle of the last gen consoles life cycle. Of course it was released on PC first but the game isn’t new and isn’t specially designed for new gen consoles.

    A majority of DBD’s playerbase is on last gen consoles, they aren’t gonna just phase them out and be like, “well you just gotta get the new gen console that’s never in stock anywhere. Or ya know, just drop a few grand on a PC.”

    Also Sony won’t stop supporting PS4 games for quite a while (can’t say I’m knowledgeable about Microsoft) so I’m highly doubtful that a game like DBD is going to completely drop support for last gen consoles.

  • @FreakPrince said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340038#Comment_2340038

    DBD was released last gen, so this excuse of “old hardware” doesn’t stick. There are plenty of more demanding games running better than DBD on last gen.

    Also, US is not the only country in the world, you know? It may cost that to you, but it’s not the same for everyone else.

    Except the fact they've been constantly releasing graphical updates.


    you haven't seen the new graphic updates?

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340060#Comment_2340060

    You can literally buy one for 600 that will run better than your current console I promise you that but it's fine some people like console better than PC and I understand that , some people have been there for years and don't want to start over with every game on a new system , performance wise biting the bullet and upgrading is your best bet

    Most of us have hundreds of not thousands of hours into this game, not to mention whatever money spent as well. There is no Cross Progression nor is it coming.

    So anyone wanting to abandon these archaic stone-age devices would have to rebuy this wonderfully stable game, rebuy the dlc's, and any wanted cosmetics. Plus the best part, regrind everything from scratch.

    I don't think many vets will be willing to do all that again. You know the grind of this game.

  • @I_am_Negan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339590#Comment_2339590

    I haven't played the PS3 since I switch to the PS4. My point was it will be a couple of years before games will stop getting updates on PS4.

    rockster dropped ps3 support pretty fast though

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2340153#Comment_2340153

    Except the fact they've been constantly releasing graphical updates

    Graphical updates aren't the problem though (maybe Disturbed Ward and Father Campells Chapel with those smoke effects).

    The real problem are all kind of status effect,icons popping up on your screen (e.g Prove Thyself,Leader,Dying Light etc.) and Hooking/Unhooking.

    Those things that i mentioned are the reason why FPS drops keep happening to us.

  • I think they've already stopped without explicitly saying so.

  • @PigMainBigBrain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339349#Comment_2339349

    Uhhhh, this is in reference to LOD right? Not like.....entire maps and multiple maps that aren't even on screen right?

    I don't know if it loads other maps, but it apparently loads every killer and survivor asset

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339666#Comment_2339666

    I don't know if it loads other maps, but it apparently loads every killer and survivor asset

    Yikes....

  • @Ruma said:

    As a PS5 player..:

    No they shouldnt of course.

    Other games that are more demanding also run on the PS4, they just have to optimize it.

    This game is optimized p i s s poor on PS4. The game literally has an FPS stutter every few seconds where it drops to 0 then goes back to normal. It's annoying during regular gameplay but also can completely mess you up during chases as survivor and killer, as well as on skillchecks.

    The game is near unplayable on PS4. I don't know if Xbox players have the framerate issues.

  • Dead by Daylight just came out on the Switch at about the end of 2019. It hasn't even been two years yet. Or are you lumping the Switch in with the other next gen consoles, since Nintendo is nowhere near about to release another console yet?

    Less than two years, there's no new Nintendo console in the near future, and it runs terrible on Switch, just like on PS4 and Xbox One.

    The devs said they'd get this working on console, they've continued to sell their game and all the new DLC on these consoles, so they need to get it working.

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2339229#Comment_2339229

    But let's be reasonable how long can a game developer seriously support a console from 2013 in 2020+?

    it's clearly taking its toll

    Stop optimization because the dev's don't know what they're doing, yeah ok.

  • At this point l would say they already have.

  • You should focus on swf hating posts and let the serious issues to people who know what they talking about

1 2 3