If DBD was free nobody who didn't invest money would be playing it

DBD has never really been in a good place, either it is matchmaking, cosmetic rewards, the excessive grind, the balancing and overall optimization.


The devs usually take months or years to address simple issues but the store never has issues pumping out cosmetics and when it does it is addressed right away because 🤑


I really wanted to participate in this 5th Anniversary event, even though the rewards are not that good...but the experience is just so unbearable that I a killer main don't want to play killer because survivor side is slightly better


I'm glad the community is expressing their anger and disappointment to BEhaviour who continues to ignore the glaring issues and fail to acknowledge our complaints. I remember when DBD used to give original chapters and meaningful event rewards FOR FREE! But they have grown so big and are now slaves to the almighty dollar and shareholders so the supportive communty who brought them to success is brushed aside, unfortunately nothing will change until they have a real competition or the community just stops supporting them.

Comments

  • It’s reached its highest player count ever just on steam alone, and was in the steam top 10 games despite being 5 years old. The game has things that need fixing, that’s it. Other than that this game has never been in a better spot than it is now.

  • It was free on Playstation+ & Game With Gold, console players are basically playing it as part of a subscription they were already paying for so it was free for them.


    It's also been in two Humble Games bundles when Humble Bundles were rare but super popular, I used to buy them religiously until they started to be every week.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    It’s reached its highest player count ever just on steam alone, and was in the steam top 10 games despite being 5 years old. The game has things that need fixing, that’s it. Other than that this game has never been in a better spot than it is now.

    It got to #5 of all steam games I think.

  • I know it inside and out, I’m sad I don’t have legacy prestige. But I am rewarded in other ways.

  • I didn't buy the game (Game Pass) and I still play it

    While the game has plenty of problems, it also offers a very unique experience you can't really get from anywhere else.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    It’s reached its highest player count ever just on steam alone, and was in the steam top 10 games despite being 5 years old. The game has things that need fixing, that’s it. Other than that this game has never been in a better spot than it is now.

    Ofc they release the Resident Evil chapter that huge for the game and that bring new and old player into the game. But if the chapter was a original no way the game would have get that many player

  • Are you arguing that DBD players have a sunk cost fallacy going on or something? DBD's incredibly cheap, I doubt anyone keeps playing it because they paid money for it.

  • When the game came out I just liked the idea of hunting down and killing people. It really goes no deeper than that. Then the game ended up doing well and they ended up adding all these bells and whistles and all sorts of things.

    Games don't really take that long and you get to hunt down and kill people. They're all proud of their perks and charms and they want to escape through the exit gates and celebrate and be happy...

    ...up on the hook ya go!

  • I spent about $50 on DBD. That includes the cost of the game, cosmetics and a couple of killers/survivors.

    I've spent $50 on a lot dumber ######### that I can't even remember right now.

    I've got 400 hours out of the game. No sunken cost fallacy here boss.

  • I mean, yeah I've easily spent over 100, maybe 150 quid on the game but I've also got over 3.1k hours. Compare that to spending 65 quid on REVillage for about 30 hours and I'm substantially better off continuing to play DBD.

    Not to mention I've spent a load of money in Paladins and barely touch the game anymore. I spent so, so much trying to get this one skin for my main, and eventually got it (yay loot boxes), doesn't mean I can't move on.

  • It's free on xbox and playstation and it's doing the best it ever has. Every game has its flaws. DBD is no different from the rest.

  • If Dead by Daylight was free, the player count would sky-rocket. Whether most of those players stay is another question, but many people would like to get into the game as a result of their favorite streamer (No0b3 for many), but can't due to simply not having the money to spare for the game and/or an online subscription. Trust me, if DBD was free and did not require an online subscription, the current player count would easily triple.

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    If Dead by Daylight was free, the player count would sky-rocket. Whether most of those players stay is another question, but many people would like to get into the game as a result of their favorite streamer (No0b3 for many), but can't due to simply not having the money to spare for the game and/or an online subscription. Trust me, if DBD was free and did not require an online subscription, the current player count would easily triple.

    Yeah but if it was free, the number of hackers and griefers would triple, too.

    People would just be able to make new accounts each time they were banned. It's why I dropped TF2 the second it went free 2 play; my clan had about 6 TF2 servers (and more in other steam games) and the sheer number of people we had banned over the years that flooded back in once it went free 2 play was staggering.

    Some of these people had been nursing their hate for YEARS. Like, they could not comprehend that we had banned them for hacking or racism or downright disgusting player sprays. 🤮 In their minds; They were not at fault, and we were evil for punishing them.

    Oof. I just stopped being an admin and dropped TF2 after that. There was no point in trying to keep a clean server when people we banned would just make a new steam account, jump back in, and do it all over again.

  • DBD is already a F2P model on a paid game.I wonder if they will ever realize the amount of content locked behind paywalls is getting at unhealthy amounts,the grind only increases each chapter.

  • If DbD was free the entire game would just be hackers locked in an eternal eye-watering slap fight.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    It’s reached its highest player count ever just on steam alone, and was in the steam top 10 games despite being 5 years old. The game has things that need fixing, that’s it. Other than that this game has never been in a better spot than it is now.

    The game was in the best spot it has ever been in just before the 5.0.0 patch. Unfortunately its now barely playable for some console owners.

  • @Spencerjnlouis said:

    DBD has never really been in a good place, either it is matchmaking, cosmetic rewards, the excessive grind, the balancing and overall optimization.

    The devs usually take months or years to address simple issues but the store never has issues pumping out cosmetics and when it does it is addressed right away because 🤑

    I really wanted to participate in this 5th Anniversary event, even though the rewards are not that good...but the experience is just so unbearable that I a killer main don't want to play killer because survivor side is slightly better

    I'm glad the community is expressing their anger and disappointment to BEhaviour who continues to ignore the glaring issues and fail to acknowledge our complaints. I remember when DBD used to give original chapters and meaningful event rewards FOR FREE! But they have grown so big and are now slaves to the almighty dollar and shareholders so the supportive communty who brought them to success is brushed aside, unfortunately nothing will change until they have a real competition or the community just stops supporting them.

    The devs usually take months or years to address simple issues but the store never has issues pumping out cosmetics and when it does it is addressed right away because 🤑

    Do you want artists working on fixing bugs or being unable to work at all? Do you expect BHVR will just keep paying their salaries while they sit around doing nothing?

  • @Power_Guy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2332624#Comment_2332624

    Yeah but if it was free, the number of hackers and griefers would triple, too.

    People would just be able to make new accounts each time they were banned. It's why I dropped TF2 the second it went free 2 play; my clan had about 6 TF2 servers (and more in other steam games) and the sheer number of people we had banned over the years that flooded back in once it went free 2 play was staggering.

    Some of these people had been nursing their hate for YEARS. Like, they could not comprehend that we had banned them for hacking or racism or downright disgusting player sprays. 🤮 In their minds; They were not at fault, and we were evil for punishing them.

    Oof. I just stopped being an admin and dropped TF2 after that. There was no point in trying to keep a clean server when people we banned would just make a new steam account, jump back in, and do it all over again.

    If they get banned at all. DBD has possibly one of the worst anti-cheat softwares in an online game, and going through the process to manually ban someone doesn't work unless you have video proof or multiple reports are sent in.

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    If Dead by Daylight was free, the player count would sky-rocket. Whether most of those players stay is another question, but many people would like to get into the game as a result of their favorite streamer (No0b3 for many), but can't due to simply not having the money to spare for the game and/or an online subscription. Trust me, if DBD was free and did not require an online subscription, the current player count would easily triple.

    I was actually not going to get into the game. The Nemesis release had my attention, and I started researching it and that was when... I figured out it wasn't free to play. It was a shock to me.


    Luckily I had the foresight to download it years ago when it was free on Playstation. After getting into it, I think it is worth the asking price, easily. But I only really took the plunge because of the f2p.