Dear Killer Mains,

Just played three matches consecutively where the killer camped then tunneled after unhook. To all killer mains, why use this strategy? As a survivor main, camping and tunneling feels unfun & therefore monotonous, to say the least. If anybody pledges to this gameplay style please explain why, as I may be missing the point.

Comments

  • @Chagi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2317041#Comment_2317041

    Nope, it affected everyone, dont tell me that you hit 100% of all the great skill checks, nobody is buying that bs, old ruin was an amazing perk and the only thing that prevented genrushing, + every great skill check didnt give you bonus progression it would just allow the generator to progress normally. It was an insane stalling perk and in the second they nerfed it gens started to pop like crazy everywhere. I play everyday this game at rank 1-2 both survivor and killer, i know both perspectives, currently most of the survivors spawn together (without a shroud) and most of the times in the immediate proximity of a generator (if you dont trust me use the perk "Lethal Pursuer" and you are gonna see the patherns). As a killer when the old ruin was out you had a pretty good amount of time to get things done, nowadays you finish a chase and 2-3 gens are rammed into your head depending on your luck with pallet spawns (exception being Nurse and Spirit again). That nerf had a butterfly effect attached to it, gens get done faster, killers start to get frustrated because they cant apply pressure, survivors acting cocky (latern clickers and t-baggers), and we land at the final spot, more killers started to proxy camp and tunnel to be able to win a game (just today i had a game against a Freddy in which i ran the poor guy for 5 gens because of the pallet setups).

    So yeah this is the analysis of the butterfly effect caused by the nerf of the perk called "Ruin". It didnt affect only noobs, it affected everyone and brought a relative balance to the gameplay and the amount of players that camped and tunnel back when ruin was good was way smaller than it is right now. I saw a lot of people complaining about this, but currently in the current meta, it's the only thing left for them to do to get the wins. I dont like it, but honestly i understand it.

    100% of course not. It did train me to hit them extremely consistently though. That's assuming it lasted more than a minute.

  • @joeyjordisonsnipples said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2315283#Comment_2315283

    I guess I'm just missing the point in finishing the game fast as killer. To your point about survivors "genrushing", the killer can stop this from happening (i.e perks and chasing survivors off). However, survivors cannot stop killers from camping/ tunneling. My point here is that survivors seem like they're "genrushing" because they're finishing their objective without resist, killers can finish their objectives without camping and/or tunneling.

    When the game spawns all 4 survivors in front of different gens how does the killer have a chance if he doesn't get someone out of the game fast? it's more of a game design issue than anything imo. Sometimes it happens and others it doesn't.

  • @Squirrel_Thicc said:

    I only play scummy if I have a good reason to.

    My reason to play that way is someone brings 2 or more keys. Mori time!

  • I don't know what goes through other peoples heads but for me I camp when I know someone is nearby whether I actually see them or theres scratch marks, either that or cause theres no gens left and I don't see why i should leave if all the gens are done.

  • @Apollos said:

    I swear it used to happen less often, but I experience it at least once every few games now. They either circle the area relentlessly when someone's hooked, tunnel right after someone's been unhooked, or slug as many people as possible. It feels really crappy to leave the match early with 5k points because the killer decided you weren't allowed to play. Or to try to stop them from taking someone else out early and failing.

    When they do that, I always assume it's for a challenge or they're speedrunning to rank up faster or something. Or they're mad at some other survivors and taking it out on us. Regardless, it sucks.

    Yeah, I felt bad doing it to these survivors on The Game. I needed 3 traps... And I hate Trapper. His traps hurt me more than the survivors. To get it, I kind of just stood on one end of the hallway and then they were thirsty for the unhook and ran into it.


    I tried placing them by pallets and near the stairs where they would drop... But the traps never activated. Or they deactivated them? I don't know how it works. I really dislike him as a killer though. The 30k bloodpoints probably weren't worth it, but I have no leveled killers and I am rushing 2k shards for barbecue and chili in the shop. So you know, I do what I have to do. Lul.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2315713#Comment_2315713

    Gen times are 80s. That's base.

    A hook yimer-120s.

    So already, if all 3 are on a gen, then by first chase (15s find first survivor (being generous), good looper/not playing a chase orientated killer 60s on loop, 10 s to hook maybe 5 second on hook/pickup. 90s in total. That's 3 gens done 1st chase. Base.

    Maybe add in a semidecent toolbox on 2 (yellow with wire spool and extra parts-12s) and that's 24s off gens. Maybe a Prove thyself and they hammer two gens as you down someone.

    "Gen rushing" is now basekit if survivors play smart. Add in toolboxes and it's gen massacre time. A purple toolbox with BNP and a charge add on. That's gonna chunk gens.

    If you can't see this in the numbers, then you are just blind.

    When does this happen? Because I know for sure that survivors don’t use a bnp every game. Are you playing tournament dbd?

  • @joeyjordisonsnipples said:

    Just played three matches consecutively where the killer camped then tunneled after unhook. To all killer mains, why use this strategy? As a survivor main, camping and tunneling feels unfun & therefore monotonous, to say the least. If anybody pledges to this gameplay style please explain why, as I may be missing the point.

    Because it works. Your fun is irrelevant to me; my fun comes from chasing and killing you efficiently. That's it; nothing personal and it isn't some moral stance. It's just how the game works.

  • @FrndlyChnswSalzmn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/261525/dear-killer-mains

    Because it works. Your fun is irrelevant to me; my fun comes from chasing and killing you efficiently. That's it; nothing personal and it isn't some moral stance. It's just how the game works.

    That´s exactly why devs should fix the tunnel and camp strategy, and make other strategies more effective than these ones.

    A small portion of killers don´t abuse of it as it´s the optimal play just because they care about others experience.


    The real problem is that this mechanic is completely legal, easy to apply and grants big advantage. Survivors shouldn´t be claiming "fair play" to the killers, but to the devs. Developers should turn the metagame into a more fun mechanic for everyone.

  • @Artemisha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2318262#Comment_2318262

    That´s exactly why devs should fix the tunnel and camp strategy, and make other strategies more effective than these ones.

    A small portion of killers don´t abuse of it as it´s the optimal play just because they care about others experience.

    The real problem is that this mechanic is completely legal, easy to apply and grants big advantage. Survivors shouldn´t be claiming "fair play" to the killers, but to the devs. Developers should turn the metagame into a more fun mechanic for everyone.

    The tunnel and camp strategy si awful and it doesn't work. You have to be really bad at survivor to fall for it.


    It being legal isnt a problem. How about you grow a pair and stop your moaning?

  • @Jaffycake said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2318278#Comment_2318278

    The tunnel and camp strategy si awful and it doesn't work. You have to be really bad at survivor to fall for it.

    It being legal isnt a problem. How about you grow a pair and stop your moaning?

    You should respect people even at online communication and althugh you disagree with their ideas, this way you also will get respect. I won´t talk you back if you don´t show respect.


    Concerning to your oppinion, tunnel and camp works. I see this strategies working pretty well on DBD tournaments, where players probably much better than you and me with more knowledge aboutthe game, apply this strategies to deny bloodpoints on survivors.

  • @Artemisha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2318262#Comment_2318262

    That´s exactly why devs should fix the tunnel and camp strategy, and make other strategies more effective than these ones.

    A small portion of killers don´t abuse of it as it´s the optimal play just because they care about others experience.

    The real problem is that this mechanic is completely legal, easy to apply and grants big advantage. Survivors shouldn´t be claiming "fair play" to the killers, but to the devs. Developers should turn the metagame into a more fun mechanic for everyone.

    Fix it how? Any proposed fix would punish Killers for playing well. Just get better. Plenty of Survivors manage to consistently do well and even escape; you can, too. Probably.

  • @FrndlyChnswSalzmn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2318278#Comment_2318278

    Fix it how? Any proposed fix would punish Killers for playing well. Just get better. Plenty of Survivors manage to consistently do well and even escape; you can, too. Probably.

    I play solo q, man :C. And on Solo Q, survivors can´t just handle hard tunneling. As a survivor, I am going to unhook a camped guy even if huntress is facecamping him (it has happened me some times).


    What I mean is that metagame should turn into a more effective way to play than tunneling and gen rush. One metagame based on explore the map for survivors and take different hooks for killers. Killers tunnel not because they want to punish one specific player, it´s because is an optimal play and they take great advantage. Same happens with gen rush.


    Game design should encourage other strategies than these ones. That´s my oppinion.

  • @Artemisha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2318362#Comment_2318362

    I play solo q, man :C. And on Solo Q, survivors can´t just handle hard tunneling. As a survivor, I am going to unhook a camped guy even if huntress is facecamping him (it has happened me some times).

    What I mean is that metagame should turn into a more effective way to play than tunneling and gen rush. One metagame based on explore the map for survivors and take different hooks for killers. Killers tunnel not because they want to punish one specific player, it´s because is an optimal play and they take great advantage. Same happens with gen rush.

    Game design should encourage other strategies than these ones. That´s my oppinion.

    Now this I agree with. The game design could be changed to be more fun and interactive for both sides, so that the optimal way to play is also the fun way for both sides. But until BHVR does that I'm going to do what gets me the W. What I won't do is play by made-up rules of fairness when the game does not require me to.


    By the way, many of us have begged for a new game mode or changes to the core gameplay for five years. BHVR has refused. Talk to them, not us.


  • @FrndlyChnswSalzmn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2318378#Comment_2318378

    Now this I agree with. The game design could be changed to be more fun and interactive for both sides, so that the optimal way to play is also the fun way for both sides. But until BHVR does that I'm going to do what gets me the W. What I won't do is play by made-up rules of fairness when the game does not require me to.

    By the way, many of us have begged for a new game mode or changes to the core gameplay for five years. BHVR has refused. Talk to them, not us.

    Exactly. Survivors can´t blaim on killers for using something that is legal, altough I don´t like it or use it eventually when I play killer. Same happens with gen rush.


    When we comment on the official forum I assume Behaviour is looking at the threads his community is posting. They should be. I mean....this is direct feedback from consumers of their product. I also sent them a message trough their contact, but didn´t receive any other feedback than "thanks for your message. Appropiate department will read it".


    It´d be great if game turned into a more fun mechanics, or have another game - mode as you said with another rules more oriented to play chill.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2315357#Comment_2315357

    Yeah, I felt bad doing it to these survivors on The Game. I needed 3 traps... And I hate Trapper. His traps hurt me more than the survivors. To get it, I kind of just stood on one end of the hallway and then they were thirsty for the unhook and ran into it.

    I tried placing them by pallets and near the stairs where they would drop... But the traps never activated. Or they deactivated them? I don't know how it works. I really dislike him as a killer though. The 30k bloodpoints probably weren't worth it, but I have no leveled killers and I am rushing 2k shards for barbecue and chili in the shop. So you know, I do what I have to do. Lul.

    Yeah, I've bullied killers a bit with the new RE perks and Head On for my stun challenges lol I usually apologize and say it was for a challenge at the end if we're both on PC.

  • @joeyjordisonsnipples said:

    Just played three matches consecutively where the killer camped then tunneled after unhook. To all killer mains, why use this strategy? As a survivor main, camping and tunneling feels unfun & therefore monotonous, to say the least. If anybody pledges to this gameplay style please explain why, as I may be missing the point.

    There is no point other than they are bad at game, lack skill, and are completely focused on their fun only. Most are very young and aren’t able to take into account the game being fun or balanced for everyone. Good post, but they’ll mob you for daring to call this play style out …..or give awful excuses.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Because it's the most efficient way to play. Blame the game, not the player.

    Except it isn't the most efficient way to play. If 3-4 gens popped while you were trying to down said person then I guess so but Killers need to know when to drop chase and learn how to efficiently patrol and pressure gens.

    Camping a hook all match every match and you'll never improve. Honestly if you just want to camp one person every match and complain chronically you probably shouldn't be playing this game. It doesn't seem like it's good for those with that attitude.

    Again I have no issue with killers camping if 4 gens popped in the first chase or at the end of a match because let's face it, it makes sense to secure a kill that way but I will never get behind the notion that camping survivors until stage 2 and tunneling them off hook is a healthy play style.

    It's like, lazy lol again do we just not want to patrol gens and chase people? If not then maybe play a different game or don't play killer

  • @joeyjordisonsnipples said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2315340#Comment_2315340

    Not really, the killer has many things to do other than camping and tunneling (such as kicking gens and chasing other survivors). If you're are talking about how survivors should do side objectives first, so should killers.

    kicking gens is usually a complete waste of time lol

  • @Tsulan said:

    Killers camp&tunnel because survivors gen rush.

    Survivors gen rush because killers camp&tunnel.

    Creating an toxic experience for everyone.

    I think this is a critical take-away. These two issues sustain each other and neither can be addressed without fixing the other. If gen speeds are slowed down, killers get a fantastic incentive to camp and tunnel more since it would be a direct buff to those strategies.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2315456#Comment_2315456

    I think this is a critical take-away. These two issues sustain each other and neither can be addressed without fixing the other. If gen speeds are slowed down, killers get a fantastic incentive to camp and tunnel more since it would be a direct buff to those strategies.

    Wrong. Killers wouldn´t camp more than now, because they wouldn´t feel as pressured to do so and i can prove this!

    Just look at what the main survivor issue was, back before Undying was nerfed: it was doing totems. Survivors didn´t complain about getting camped or tunneled, but about how killers are getting ez wins, because of the Undying Ruin meta.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2320899#Comment_2320899

    Wrong. Killers wouldn´t camp more than now, because they wouldn´t feel as pressured to do so and i can prove this!

    Just look at what the main survivor issue was, back before Undying was nerfed: it was doing totems. Survivors didn´t complain about getting camped or tunneled, but about how killers are getting ez wins, because of the Undying Ruin meta.

    Just because they had other, more pressing issues doesn't prove they weren't still getting tunnelled and camped.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2320909#Comment_2320909

    Just because they had other, more pressing issues doesn't prove they weren't still getting tunnelled and camped.

    Killers that tunneled or camped didn´t get any value out of Undying Ruin.

    So that was actually a way to slowdown the match for everyone. Making it potentially more enjoyable for everyone, because survivors had more to do and killers would roam more gens instead of tunneling.

    But as we see on the Undying nerf, survivors didn´t enjoy this playstyle. So its back to camp&tunnel.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2320915#Comment_2320915

    Killers that tunneled or camped didn´t get any value out of Undying Ruin.

    So that was actually a way to slowdown the match for everyone. Making it potentially more enjoyable for everyone, because survivors had more to do and killers would roam more gens instead of tunneling.

    But as we see on the Undying nerf, survivors didn´t enjoy this playstyle. So its back to camp&tunnel.

    That's not true. Undying Ruin would still provide a threat and pressure before the survivors figure out that the killer is camping. They could spend a ton of time hunting totems while the killer sets up a camp.

    And if the killer is tunnelling or camping on a 3-gen, Undying Ruin makes that unbreakable.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2320926#Comment_2320926

    That's not true. Undying Ruin would still provide a threat and pressure before the survivors figure out that the killer is camping. They could spend a ton of time hunting totems while the killer sets up a camp.

    And if the killer is tunnelling or camping on a 3-gen, Undying Ruin makes that unbreakable.

    Ruin does absolutely nothing when the killer is camping. So no need to go on a totem hunt.

    3 gen is totally on the survivors side. They are the only ones that can 3 gen themself.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2321030#Comment_2321030

    Ruin does absolutely nothing when the killer is camping. So no need to go on a totem hunt.

    3 gen is totally on the survivors side. They are the only ones that can 3 gen themself.

    Yeah, but you don't know the killer is camping when the match starts.

    And no, killers can choose to pressure a specific combo of gens to push survivors towards a 3-gen. Especially with Ruin.

  • Because its BHVR's way of holding their hand.

  • Because it works, same way why prove thyself and hoping from one gen to the next while your strongest looper occupies the killer. As long as people sweat all the time killer or survivor, expect to be tunneled/genrushed all the time.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2321037#Comment_2321037

    Yeah, but you don't know the killer is camping when the match starts.

    And no, killers can choose to pressure a specific combo of gens to push survivors towards a 3-gen. Especially with Ruin.

    Not really.

    You exagerate on the power of Ruin. It has half the regression speed of what a single survivor would take to repair. If the killer starts chasing 1 survivor, the 3 others can do the gens that prevent them from 3 genning themselves. When he breaks the chase, the survivor just goes back to the gen. Since the killer can only chase 1 survivor at the same time, there is absolutely no reason for survivors to 3 gen themselves.

  • @FFirebrandd said:

    I mean... its effective. I know it isn't fun, and I try not to play like that until gens are done... but like... the game gets so much easier when one of the survivors are dead.

    Its also possible you ended up in a game where three of the Survivors didn't ever want to take chase and the last guy was bad at stealth. I had a game like that recently on Midwich. I was trying to not tunnel the Tapp out of the game, but it legitimately felt like he was the only Survivor in my game. Like I even went as far as just picking up and dropping him on death hook to activate Thrilling Tremors so I could try to find someone else.

    The problem is just that you're basically making your experience better at the expense of the tunneled person.


    And then killers wonder why people get salty at them when they do it. And they wonder why survivors all run the same 4 sweatlord perks, and complain when they do.


    You have your own part in creating this environment too.

  • @joeyjordisonsnipples said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2315340#Comment_2315340

    Not really, the killer has many things to do other than camping and tunneling (such as kicking gens and chasing other survivors). If you're are talking about how survivors should do side objectives first, so should killers.

    Kicking gens is pointless, regression is useless and you can spend 0.1 sec to stop regression. In terms of pressure, having a surv on hook is alot better than kicking a gen.

  • Is the game easier at 4v1 or 3v1?

    At 3-4 gens gone I’d want the game at 3v1.

    Plenty of ways to do that but often chasing each survivor is to the killer’s disadvantage.

    So just as splitting up on gens is to the survivor advantage, eliminating a player early is to the killers advantage.

    You need a pretty flawless game get an advantage over even slightly coordinated survivors. When chasing fails to build adequate pressure, and it often does in a chase extending meta, camping and tunnelling pay off bigger.

    That’s all it is.

  • @Nemesis921 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2315812#Comment_2315812

    The problem is just that you're basically making your experience better at the expense of the tunneled person.

    And then killers wonder why people get salty at them when they do it. And they wonder why survivors all run the same 4 sweatlord perks, and complain when they do.

    You have your own part in creating this environment too.

    I find this interesting because I rarely ever camp/tunnel unless the gens are done. I don't do this because I care about the other side's experience, but rather that I find trying to fight through BT and DS to be very annoying. I lose many, many games because of this. I'm probably averaging 1 kill against good teams. You know what happens at the end of every single one of my games? I get teabagged at the exit gates, flashlight clicked, and told ez

1 2 ›