MMR isn't in the game yet, so allow us to change our Killer.

Exactly as it states, the dev's reasoning for taking away the ability to change the killer last second was for the MMR system to be balanced, but since the MMR system hasn't worked every time it has been implemented into the game, allow us to change our Killers until it's perfected at least.

Comments

  • Two reasons why this is not possible:

    1. MMR is calculating in the Background. Because of that, it is impossible to switch the Killer.
    2. They can turn MMR on/off on their end, the ability to switch Killers needs to be added and removed with a Patch. So when they finished MMR, they can simply turn it on without the need of a Patch.

    And personally, I dont mind that switching is not possible. Killers claim that their Lobby Times are instant, so if they want to dodge because they are scared, they will be in a Lobby right away.

  • I really miss the ability to do this.

    Once MMR is live, they could also compare the MMR of each killer and if some killers are within a certain range, allow the player to switch. Like, if I'm about equally good at Wraith as I am Doc, and their MMRs are about the same, then it'd make sense to let me switch in the lobby when I see a group with four flashlights, otherwise my choices are to play Wraith against that or ditch and have to re-queue up. That sucks.

  • Yeah i don't want to go back to those times were some killer would just switch to a stronger one with stronger builds just because they suspect they might be against a, may jesus forgive me for saying this word, swf

  • Just dodge the lobby

  • @nursewannabe said:

    Yeah i don't want to go back to those times were some killer would just switch to a stronger one with stronger builds just because they suspect they might be against a, may jesus forgive me for saying this word, swf

    Yeah, so instead, your threatening-looking lobby gets dropped seven times in a row before the game finally finds a killer who either feels prepared for it in their current state or just doesn't care. Fun waiting times, right?

    If I'm playing Hag and I see a single flashlight in the lobby, I dodge because my options are Franklins (which I don't find fun and don't currently have on her anyway) or risk barely having a power. I'd play that lobby if I could do virtually any other killer, but since I'm locked in, I'm out. The same is also true to a lesser extent with Wraith and flashlights and Trapper with maps, though really, anyone wanting to play with a hex build isn't going to like seeing a map in the lobby.

    And if I'm just trying out Demo for the first time and don't even know how to use a portal yet, or I want to try this weird Trapper build with no trapper bags, and I get four people with coordinated names and four toolboxes? Yeah, no. If I was playing a killer I was more comfortable with, I'd give it a shot, but as it stands, I'd be setting up for a 4-minute match where the survivors end up really obnoxiously baiting chases around the exit gates just to get some boldness points out of the whole fiasco.

    Killers still have the freedom to choose whether they want to play with you in their current state. They just don't have the option to switch to a different killer, so their choices are to go ham with perks/addons or to ditch you.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2228796#Comment_2228796

    Yeah, so instead, your threatening-looking lobby gets dropped seven times in a row before the game finally finds a killer who either feels prepared for it in their current state or just doesn't care. Fun waiting times, right?

    If I'm playing Hag and I see a single flashlight in the lobby, I dodge because my options are Franklins (which I don't find fun and don't currently have on her anyway) or risk barely having a power. I'd play that lobby if I could do virtually any other killer, but since I'm locked in, I'm out. The same is also true to a lesser extent with Wraith and flashlights and Trapper with maps, though really, anyone wanting to play with a hex build isn't going to like seeing a map in the lobby.

    And if I'm just trying out Demo for the first time and don't even know how to use a portal yet, or I want to try this weird Trapper build with no trapper bags, and I get four people with coordinated names and four toolboxes? Yeah, no. If I was playing a killer I was more comfortable with, I'd give it a shot, but as it stands, I'd be setting up for a 4-minute match where the survivors end up really obnoxiously baiting chases around the exit gates just to get some boldness points out of the whole fiasco.

    Killers still have the freedom to choose whether they want to play with you in their current state. They just don't have the option to switch to a different killer, so their choices are to go ham with perks/addons or to ditch you.

    Imagine feeling threatened by some avatars wearing god forbid some skins

  • It's still calculating people's individual mmr, it's just not putting you up against/ with people in your level.

    Killers will have their own mmr each, so if you suck at nurse then you'll get potato survivors, but if you're amazing as Pyramid Head then you'll get the mlg 420/ 360 elite squad that can no scope you with their flashlights. At least that's what it's supposed to do if it all works well.

  • @nursewannabe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2228843#Comment_2228843

    Imagine feeling threatened by some avatars wearing god forbid some skins

    Sure. Have fun complaining about nobody wanting to play with you.

    I'm here for fun. I'm not particularly skilled at the game and I like to mess around and try new things. I don't really pay attention to skins unless it's a Dwelf (since that's the national animal for nasty players) - P3, bright clothes, Blendette, whatever. But if the survivors have matching names, so free comms on whatever I do, and are equipped with items that are going to neuter my current build or killer, I'm not going to have fun - doubly so when kitted out comm SWFs are a dozen times more likely to BM me and taunt me than anyone else - so why should I have to play with them? They can be someone else's problem, ideally somebody who's more willing to play cutthroat than I am.

    If you queue up for DBD geared up like you're preparing to fight a war, you can't really complain when you get a parade of mother-daughter Stridor Spirits. It's just the other side doing the same thing as you are.

    Or really, you can complain about whatever you like, but it's not going to change the fact that the way things are set up, some killers are going to skip you when your lobby sends off a bunch of warning signals. Either they have the power to get back on even footing with the perceived sweat level or they're going to bail. The result is generally going to be the same - your lobby looks strong, you're going to face strong killers more often than not.

    Belittle me all you want. I'll be over here having a good time.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    Two reasons why this is not possible:

    1. MMR is calculating in the Background. Because of that, it is impossible to switch the Killer.
    2. They can turn MMR on/off on their end, the ability to switch Killers needs to be added and removed with a Patch. So when they finished MMR, they can simply turn it on without the need of a Patch.

    And personally, I dont mind that switching is not possible. Killers claim that their Lobby Times are instant, so if they want to dodge because they are scared, they will be in a Lobby right away.

    @A_Skinny_Legend said:

    It's still calculating people's individual mmr, it's just not putting you up against/ with people in your level.

    Killers will have their own mmr each, so if you suck at nurse then you'll get potato survivors, but if you're amazing as Pyramid Head then you'll get the mlg 420/ 360 elite squad that can no scope you with their flashlights. At least that's what it's supposed to do if it all works well.


    Why is the system beginning to calculate the match's results before the match starts? The devs started collecting MMR data before they switched off being able to change killers in the lobby, so I don't get why they changed their system to not be able to handle that.

    If MMR were on right now, then it would be comparing players' MMR and trying to build a lobby based on that. But why is it already starting to calculate the results of the match in the lobby? Why doesn't it wait until the match starts to be like, "Okay, the player chose _____ killer"? I don't get why the calculation is stuck on the killer the player queued up with rather than being able to go by who the player starts the match with.

    If it's not building a lobby based on the killer's MMR (which it's not right now, skill-based matchmaking isn't turned on), then it shouldn't care about who the killer is until the match starts.

    Once the MMR goes live, when a brand new player queues up, all of their killers will be at the exact same skill level, so in the lobby they should be able to switch between killers and it won't make a bit of difference in terms of how they compare to the survivors they're put up against.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2228780#Comment_2228780

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2228856#Comment_2228856

    Why is the system beginning to calculate the match's results before the match starts? The devs started collecting MMR data before they switched off being able to change killers in the lobby, so I don't get why they changed their system to not be able to handle that.

    If MMR were on right now, then it would be comparing players' MMR and trying to build a lobby based on that. But why is it already starting to calculate the results of the match in the lobby? Why doesn't it wait until the match starts to be like, "Okay, the player chose _____ killer"? I don't get why the calculation is stuck on the killer the player queued up with rather than being able to go by who the player starts the match with.

    If it's not building a lobby based on the killer's MMR (which it's not right now, skill-based matchmaking isn't turned on), then it shouldn't care about who the killer is until the match starts.

    Once the MMR goes live, when a brand new player queues up, all of their killers will be at the exact same skill level, so in the lobby they should be able to switch between killers and it won't make a bit of difference in terms of how they compare to the survivors they're put up against.

    That's a good idea about the game only being able to recognize the killer once the match starts, but I guess it does it earlier during the lobby.

  • @A_Skinny_Legend said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2228902#Comment_2228902

    That's a good idea about the game only being able to recognize the killer once the match starts, but I guess it does it earlier during the lobby.

    That's a really flawed way to collect data. That implies that everything is set in stone when I queue up. The devs sometimes post up stats about perks and stuff, so they're constantly collecting data about everything. Being locked on which killer I queue up with implies the same for perks, so if I queue up with Ruin but then take it off and put on Lightborn, their system will think I had Ruin and it'll influence their data on how Ruin affects gen speeds, even though I didn't actually enter the match with Ruin. I mean, why would they split up when data collection starts, wouldn't it start collecting all the data about a match at the same time?

    Does the system do the same thing for survivors? Is the DS data about how many survivors use DS including survivors who unequipped DS in the lobby?

    edit: typo/grammar

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2228909#Comment_2228909

    That's a really flawed way to collect data. That implies that everything is set in stone when I queue up. The devs sometimes post up stats about perks and stuff, so they're constantly collecting data about everything. Being locked on which killer I queue up with implies the same for perks, so if I queue up with Ruin but then take it off and put on Lightborn, their system will think I had Ruin and it'll influence their data on how Ruin affects gen speeds, even though I didn't actually enter the match Ruin. I mean, why would they split up when data collection starts, wouldn't it start collecting all the data about a match at the same time?

    Does the system do the same thing for survivors? Is the DS data about how many survivors use DS including survivors who unequipped DS in the lobby?

    Yeah it's an odd system if that's the case.

    Idk why it needs to be so complicated, but only they know all the details. Hopefully one day we can have it work in a way that isn't so limiting to our options.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2228846#Comment_2228846

    Sure. Have fun complaining about nobody wanting to play with you.

    I'm here for fun. I'm not particularly skilled at the game and I like to mess around and try new things. I don't really pay attention to skins unless it's a Dwelf (since that's the national animal for nasty players) - P3, bright clothes, Blendette, whatever. But if the survivors have matching names, so free comms on whatever I do, and are equipped with items that are going to neuter my current build or killer, I'm not going to have fun - doubly so when kitted out comm SWFs are a dozen times more likely to BM me and taunt me than anyone else - so why should I have to play with them? They can be someone else's problem, ideally somebody who's more willing to play cutthroat than I am.

    If you queue up for DBD geared up like you're preparing to fight a war, you can't really complain when you get a parade of mother-daughter Stridor Spirits. It's just the other side doing the same thing as you are.

    Or really, you can complain about whatever you like, but it's not going to change the fact that the way things are set up, some killers are going to skip you when your lobby sends off a bunch of warning signals. Either they have the power to get back on even footing with the perceived sweat level or they're going to bail. The result is generally going to be the same - your lobby looks strong, you're going to face strong killers more often than not.

    Belittle me all you want. I'll be over here having a good time.

    Don't forget to have task manager open to dump the lobby when the last second switch in items and characters.