Why are people saying Wraith is now top tier?

Just played as and against Wraith sure he's better. But there's no way he's even touching A tier. Still no chase potential. Still map dependent on wether the twenty meters matter. And exhaustion perks still own him. I'm baffled by the people saying Wraith is suddenly on the level of Oni and Huntress.

Comments

  • All of these comments about wraith being a helpless M1 killer if there are windows ignore the existence of Bamboozle. Run that and purple shadow dance, and wraith’s one big weakness Is erased.

  • @onemind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2178325#Comment_2178325

    Your kidding right? He's atleast b teir mb a if played correctly with addons

    With his strong addons, maybe. He is still very easily countered by pallets and windows, or just proper positioning from survivors.

  • Wraith is weak vs meta-builds and survivors who have good map knowledge.

    Wraith is also one of the default killers and his movement speed is oppressive to people who may not have teachable perks (i.e. sprint burst, self-care, or bond), or do not have a sense of where pallets spawn yet in their first few dozen hours.

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179287#Comment_2179287

    You wrote a Bubba cannot do anything when the survs predrop every pallets, which I disagree with. Imo predropping pallets is not much of an issue for a bubba, he will just mow them down. Thats the only remark I wanted to make.

    No he won't. Because that's literally his counterplay. That's what survivors do to prevent themselves from going down. Because every Bubba under the sun runs Bamboozle. He just has to hope he wasn't going against a good team and the gens won't be done at the end of it.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179546#Comment_2179546

    I agree Oni is way more lethal. Of course he is with his one shot. You were generous enough to watch my crotus match. I look at it like this.

    Wraith - Starts his snowball fast. Gradually rolls down hill as you keep pressure on

    Oni - Gives wraiths snow ball a lead and starts very slow. Then catchs up in a hurry. And they about meet at the same spot in A-Tier

    But of course that's all subjective and ones own opinion

    How does Wraith effectively snowball with no Insta down and a slower attack with cloaking and uncloaking?

  • @WishIcouldmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179709#Comment_2179709

    How does Wraith effectively snowball with no Insta down and a slower attack with cloaking and uncloaking?

    Well there are multiple ways getting everyone injured they they are basically insta down using perks like myc or devour they his is a 140 killer with no terroradius and 1 shots

  • @onemind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179722#Comment_2179722

    Well there are multiple ways getting everyone injured they they are basically insta down using perks like myc or devour they his is a 140 killer with no terroradius and 1 shots

    But that does mean the Wraith would need to bring perks and hope the survivors have no good med kits or healing perks. While Oni doesn't need those.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179038#Comment_2179038

    That's 100 % my feelings. I felt after the speed buff. WITHOUT his post cloak lunge. He was in a very good spot. Even with the busted set ups I use. Now it borders on a little unfair.

    Totally agree, for years people have asked for windstorm to be base and now they've done that which is great, but by adding the ridiculous lunge on top of it they've taken it further than it needed.

  • @WishIcouldmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179038#Comment_2179038

    It's good against unsafe loops. But against good loops and especially windows he's helpless.

    A lot of loops are unsafe especially with his lunge right now. Every wraith I'm going against now is just cloaking straight away after hitting you because they know they can be straight back on you and down you with his lunge unless you manage to get to a safe loop, but then you have to drop the pallet instantly and then once it's gone you're screwed, especially because a decent wraith will go past you and bodyblock any nearby vault.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179722#Comment_2179722

    Just compounding your posts. As long as add ons exist and I can use them. They count. But I freely admit base ONI is better. Because of course he is. But with add ons ? It's close IMO.

    As far as snowballing. You don't need a one shot to start a snow ball, and turn the odds in your favor. I wish I would of recorded it. I'd post it for you. But I didn't.

    I downed someone and hooked them. All seeing spirit showed me my next victim...Went and got my free hit. They were running to a place I had already broken a pallet and dropped chase earlier. I downed them in about 20 ish seconds.. So atm I have one hooked and one down. That means 3 currently are not on gens. Assuming someone is going for the hooked person(they were) So as I picked up..The other hook was saved. So I hook and go back. And thanks to the power of sloppy butcher. They were still there trying to heal. I smacked the person who was unhooked. Since they were still injured and BT was up. Chased the other person since they didn't get far...So the count now is one hooked..One downed..One being chased. That means the 4th has to go for the save and no one is on gens..They got the save right as I hit the person I was chasing...And that's how you start your snowball. They stalled at 2 gens left from that sequence of events. And stayed at 2 gens even after they "recovered"

    You can snowball without an insta down but it's most effective if you do. So based on what I've seen a lot of people are saying it's less base Wraith and the add-ons and perks that come with him. Which can raise a character I don't believe shouldn't be the deciding factor if a killer's power is worthy of Hunting hatchets, Blood fury, or Blighted Corruption.

  • @Kirkylad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179242#Comment_2179242

    A lot of loops are unsafe especially with his lunge right now. Every wraith I'm going against now is just cloaking straight away after hitting you because they know they can be straight back on you and down you with his lunge unless you manage to get to a safe loop, but then you have to drop the pallet instantly and then once it's gone you're screwed, especially because a decent wraith will go past you and bodyblock any nearby vault.

    So on the loops of Badham, the Windows of chapel, or the pallets on the game. Wraith who you will be aware is about to uncloak and visually see uncloaking one of the best to deal with this map.

  • This is my honest, objective experience with The Wraith, so I hope to answer the question as best as I can:

    I've been playing the game for only two months. In that first month I found the Wraith really solid. Fun to play as, as well as against. His powers were impressive, but there felt like enough balance to keep him in check. Yes, he's invisible and yes, he's super fast, but that bell - which I thought was a really cool bit of character flavor as well as an ingenious bit of balance - made it so that if you heard it, you still had a chance to get away.

    I don't know what happened but I now despise the Wraith. I absolutely cannot stand him. He seems just plain ridiculously OP to me. There are two reasons for this: He seems to have lost the cooldown between when he hits his bell to uncloak and can begin moving again, OR the slowldown that he previously experienced when coming out of cloaking was greatly reduced. Additionally, I've played two matches against him where there was no bell. I thought that this was a glitch, but was told that no, he can now play in such a way that he can uncloak silently.

    IF both of these things are true, then we had a killer who could be invisible and incredibly fast BUT had to dramatically slow down and loudly announce his presence when he was preparing to strike, to a killer who can be invisible and incredibly fast AND does not considerably slow down nor need to announce his presence when he uncloaks. In the past I felt that I had at least a fifty/fifty chance of getting away from him when I spotted his blur coming or heard his bell. Now, it has gotten to the point that even if I see his blur rushing in and take off out of the room before he's even begun uncloaking, I still get smacked almost immediately. Then there are the times when I didn't hear a bell and just didn't happen to be looking in his direction when he came flying toward me, so I went from moving around and / or trying to get something done to BOOM, now I'm being attacked out of nowhere. There's no counter to that. People say "oh, just make sure you're always against a wall or window. Well, I can't really make the game service me in that way.


    Long story short, I thought that Wraith was solid middle to upper tier. Easy to use, but quite possible to still counter or evade. Now, in my experience, he cannot be properly countered or evaded. I hate him. People want to disconnect when they see The Spirit, I want to disconnect when I see the Wraith. I'd honestly rather face the Spirit to be honest. At least in her case there are various tells. I feel like I have a chance. In the Wraith's case it feels like a literal example of - and I have been avoiding this word as long as possible - legitimate imbalance. They tipped things just enough in his favor to make fighting him way too unpredictable, at best, or way too unfair, at worst.

  • Wraith is strong right now because of Dedicated hits


    Every Wraith right now hits, cloaks, forces you to commit to a tile because his cloaked speed ignores hit recovery and sprint burst, then when you play the 50/50 on a pallet he hits you through the pallet/window anyways because of Dedicated. If your team isn't focused on doing gens he pretty much has no counterplay

  • @WishIcouldmain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2180021#Comment_2180021

    So on the loops of Badham, the Windows of chapel, or the pallets on the game. Wraith who you will be aware is about to uncloak and visually see uncloaking one of the best to deal with this map.

    Only the few god pallets on badham are safe against him and once they're gone he can get you around every other loop.

    His speed boost can make him get past you and block the windows easily on the chapel.

    In the game with the add on to break pallets quickly he can chew through them and then be blocking the next pallet before the survivor can get to it. I've watched Tru3talent play him on stream without the add on and he's dominated good survivors and was able to bodyblock most loops because of his speed and even admitted he got ridiculous hits because of his lunge.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    Wraith is the new Freddy. Instantly transverse the map with his BBQ, then get a free hit or down with his ridiculous speed boost and lunge.

    Watch a wraith carefully to discover his broken power: they uncloak constantly.

    Quick example:

    I was playing in Midwich yesterday morning. Didn't know who the killer was yet. Another player and I spawned in a room with a generator so why not, we both started working. The only exit I saw was a hole in the floor behind me, and there was a breakable wall about ten feet away. Within ten or fifteen seconds I hear the breakable wall getting hit, so I immediately fled the generator and jumped down the hole. Without exaggeration I saw the feet of the Wraith's feet begin to appear just before I passed from that floor to the one below. I had that much time to get away from him. I was already on the next level down before the Wraith even fully decloaked.

    I desperately ran for my life, turned around the first corner I could find, but within about five seconds he'd already caught up with me anyway. I had enough time to actually LEAVE THE ROOM and get onto a different floor before the Wraith even got halfway through his cloaking procedure, yet he caught right up to me as if I had just stayed in the room and feebly run around a desk. I had several seconds of a lead and it still wasn't enough. That tells me that his cooldown is negligible or nonexistent. I had no chance. LITERALLY before he even entered the room I was jumping down the hole, to the point that he didn't even fully decloak before I was already gone. Yet he still got me immediately. What was I supposed to have done? What chance did I have? How much faster could I have possibly acted?

    There's something wrong with this picture.

  • @miketheratguy said:

    This is my honest, objective experience with The Wraith, so I hope to answer the question as best as I can:

    I've been playing the game for only two months. In that first month I found the Wraith really solid. Fun to play as, as well as against. His powers were impressive, but there felt like enough balance to keep him in check. Yes, he's invisible and yes, he's super fast, but that bell - which I thought was a really cool bit of character flavor as well as an ingenious bit of balance - made it so that if you heard it, you still had a chance to get away.

    I don't know what happened but I now despise the Wraith. I absolutely cannot stand him. He seems just plain ridiculously OP to me. There are two reasons for this: He seems to have lost the cooldown between when he hits his bell to uncloak and can begin moving again, OR the slowldown that he previously experienced when coming out of cloaking was greatly reduced. Additionally, I've played two matches against him where there was no bell. I thought that this was a glitch, but was told that no, he can now play in such a way that he can uncloak silently.

    IF both of these things are true, then we had a killer who could be invisible and incredibly fast BUT had to dramatically slow down and loudly announce his presence when he was preparing to strike, to a killer who can be invisible and incredibly fast AND does not considerably slow down nor need to announce his presence when he uncloaks. In the past I felt that I had at least a fifty/fifty chance of getting away from him when I spotted his blur coming or heard his bell. Now, it has gotten to the point that even if I see his blur rushing in and take off out of the room before he's even begun uncloaking, I still get smacked almost immediately. Then there are the times when I didn't hear a bell and just didn't happen to be looking in his direction when he came flying toward me, so I went from moving around and / or trying to get something done to BOOM, now I'm being attacked out of nowhere. There's no counter to that. People say "oh, just make sure you're always against a wall or window. Well, I can't really make the game service me in that way.

    Long story short, I thought that Wraith was solid middle to upper tier. Easy to use, but quite possible to still counter or evade. Now, in my experience, he cannot be properly countered or evaded. I hate him. People want to disconnect when they see The Spirit, I want to disconnect when I see the Wraith. I'd honestly rather face the Spirit to be honest. At least in her case there are various tells. I feel like I have a chance. In the Wraith's case it feels like a literal example of - and I have been avoiding this word as long as possible - legitimate imbalance. They tipped things just enough in his favor to make fighting him way too unpredictable, at best, or way too unfair, at worst.

    Yes while new Wraith is annoying I still find him counterable. Yes he gets that first hit easily with the lunge and speed. But after that first hit what can he do assuming there isn't a good pallet or window nearby which is less impactful now or an exhaustion perk in play to make your effort to get that first hit vanish. What you're now aware of where he is and will position yourself to be able to quickly vault or drop something to counter him. While his hit run is threatened by good healing perks and med-kits. So in my opinion Wraith can be viewed as the new Freddy depeding on how you view him after his nerf. Definitely annoying with gameplay not too dynamic. But still balanced.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2180041#Comment_2180041

    I mean yes. I think I said that in literally every post I've said lol. Add ons and perks push him over the edge in to being pretty high tier. On top of his uncloak lunge speed that isn't even neccesary.

    Base tier wraith - Solid B tier

    Buffed wraith with all seeing spirit and purple swift hunt - Somewhere in mid A-Tier.

    So new Wraith is the new Freddy. A balanced base but over the top with add-ons and perks. So what do you want to make Wraith fair. Which do you want to nerf his base, add-ons, or perks?

  • I'm not really sure what I could have done differently here to avoid this hit. I'm on my way to the next floor down before the door even breaks and you have to look SUPER FAST to even see that it's the Wraith coming through. Yet he gets me anyway. How much faster could I have possibly acted? How could I have possibly identified who it was that it was about to come through that door? What tactics could I have employed when an invisible super fast killer suddenly comes into the room other than immediately run before he enters, yet STILL get hit?

    If a survivor has to have specific things going in their advantage - such as finding the exact type of tiles at the right time, something they are not in control of - to have a fair chance against new Wraith's cheap shots, then I don't find that to be balanced at all. I normally don't complain about killer imbalance but this right here? This is some bullshit. (Sound removed because it's got some pretty frisky language).


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjEeDE0e6oc


  • @[Deleted User] said:

    He's a noob stomper that punishes survivors who play outpositioned and also pallet camping, hence why some people consider him top tier. He's also fairly easy to play as so it's not hard to come across decent Wraiths. Against survivors that actually know how to play safe and chain tiles he suffers a ton.

    That's true versus any killer though - with the new map reworks if you want to work on a gen at all you are 'outpositioned'.

  • @Kirkylad said:

    The buff was good for wraith but I honestly think they went to far with that ridiculous lunge he gets coming out of cloak.

    Devs seem to be making it a habit of overtuning killers - like Freddy was. Now we will see if people just throw up their hands and die on first hook against Wraiths.

  • @Lynxx said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179038#Comment_2179038

    Devs seem to be making it a habit of overtuning killers - like Freddy was. Now we will see if people just throw up their hands and die on first hook against Wraiths.

    Pretty much they usually over do it with buffs or nerfs. I'd imagine a lot of people are just going to get fed up with it if they aren't already. Spirit has pretty much been the only killer I don't like going against but now I'd honestly rather going against her than a wraith.

  • I think people are overrating his map traversal. Chase powers and 1-hit kills are superior imo. In high-level play you'll need a good 3-gen anyway and you will have to give up gens, so map control is not as important as getting fast downs and pressure survivors by hooking others. Running around everywhere and eating pallet after pallet will not get you anywhere, even as Wraith who can easily zoom around. Getting the first hit is cool but if survivors don't mess up you can have a very rough start without a down till 2-3 gens are done. Don't get me wrong, he is in a good spot right now, he is fun to play and not every killer has to be Spirit level. But winning with him against good survivors is still more of a sweatfest than with other killers. I also can't remember the last time i played against a good Wraith (that wasn't mindlessly chasing). I run Spine Chill though but most of the time i escape against him.

    Also, comparing him to killers like Huntress or Oni doesn't make sense. It's a completely different playstyle and hard to say he is better/ worse. A lot of people hated Wraith because they played him like a chase killer, ran Enduring/Spirit Fury ("because you have to!") and then ate every pallet in the game. Of course they'll say he is the worst killer in the game. But he wasn't that completely bad even before the buffs, i did fine with him in highest ranks.

  • It's not about his chase potential. It's the fact that I don't even need to learn how to loop as wraith. I just have to decloak and try to get a hit. And if they reached a pallet before I hit them.

    Next time I come back to the generator. There won't be a near by pallet for them to throw down. So I get a free hit.

  • @miketheratguy said:

    This is my honest, objective experience with The Wraith, so I hope to answer the question as best as I can:

    I've been playing the game for only two months. In that first month I found the Wraith really solid. Fun to play as, as well as against. His powers were impressive, but there felt like enough balance to keep him in check. Yes, he's invisible and yes, he's super fast, but that bell - which I thought was a really cool bit of character flavor as well as an ingenious bit of balance - made it so that if you heard it, you still had a chance to get away.

    I don't know what happened but I now despise the Wraith. I absolutely cannot stand him. He seems just plain ridiculously OP to me. There are two reasons for this: He seems to have lost the cooldown between when he hits his bell to uncloak and can begin moving again, OR the slowldown that he previously experienced when coming out of cloaking was greatly reduced. Additionally, I've played two matches against him where there was no bell. I thought that this was a glitch, but was told that no, he can now play in such a way that he can uncloak silently.

    IF both of these things are true, then we had a killer who could be invisible and incredibly fast BUT had to dramatically slow down and loudly announce his presence when he was preparing to strike, to a killer who can be invisible and incredibly fast AND does not considerably slow down nor need to announce his presence when he uncloaks. In the past I felt that I had at least a fifty/fifty chance of getting away from him when I spotted his blur coming or heard his bell. Now, it has gotten to the point that even if I see his blur rushing in and take off out of the room before he's even begun uncloaking, I still get smacked almost immediately. Then there are the times when I didn't hear a bell and just didn't happen to be looking in his direction when he came flying toward me, so I went from moving around and / or trying to get something done to BOOM, now I'm being attacked out of nowhere. There's no counter to that. People say "oh, just make sure you're always against a wall or window. Well, I can't really make the game service me in that way.

    Long story short, I thought that Wraith was solid middle to upper tier. Easy to use, but quite possible to still counter or evade. Now, in my experience, he cannot be properly countered or evaded. I hate him. People want to disconnect when they see The Spirit, I want to disconnect when I see the Wraith. I'd honestly rather face the Spirit to be honest. At least in her case there are various tells. I feel like I have a chance. In the Wraith's case it feels like a literal example of - and I have been avoiding this word as long as possible - legitimate imbalance. They tipped things just enough in his favor to make fighting him way too unpredictable, at best, or way too unfair, at worst.

    This is my opinions also but as a wraith main. Like holy crap I feel survivors have zero counter play to me. Sure good survivors will gen rush me still, but that's not a counter.

    Even if you escape to pallet. The first time. I just leave and come back and next time you won't have a pallet.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2179555#Comment_2179555

    No he won't. Because that's literally his counterplay. That's what survivors do to prevent themselves from going down. Because every Bubba under the sun runs Bamboozle. He just has to hope he wasn't going against a good team and the gens won't be done at the end of it.

    Then I have to be a bubba prodigy, bc. I do not have any issues in the majority of my red rank bubba matches. And the games where they instadrop the pallets are the easiest. Of course there are some well-coordinated groups giving me a hard time as well, but thats rather rare, and every killer will struggle with that (apart from Nurse and Spirit, maybe), it's not really more difficult with Bubba than with others.

  • @Kirkylad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2180060#Comment_2180060

    Only the few god pallets on badham are safe against him and once they're gone he can get you around every other loop.

    His speed boost can make him get past you and block the windows easily on the chapel.

    In the game with the add on to break pallets quickly he can chew through them and then be blocking the next pallet before the survivor can get to it. I've watched Tru3talent play him on stream without the add on and he's dominated good survivors and was able to bodyblock most loops because of his speed and even admitted he got ridiculous hits because of his lunge.

    Even the house of pain?

  • Habit of waiting to it's rework

  • @miketheratguy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2178803#Comment_2178803

    Quick example:

    I was playing in Midwich yesterday morning. Didn't know who the killer was yet. Another player and I spawned in a room with a generator so why not, we both started working. The only exit I saw was a hole in the floor behind me, and there was a breakable wall about ten feet away. Within ten or fifteen seconds I hear the breakable wall getting hit, so I immediately fled the generator and jumped down the hole. Without exaggeration I saw the feet of the Wraith's feet begin to appear just before I passed from that floor to the one below. I had that much time to get away from him. I was already on the next level down before the Wraith even fully decloaked.

    I desperately ran for my life, turned around the first corner I could find, but within about five seconds he'd already caught up with me anyway. I had enough time to actually LEAVE THE ROOM and get onto a different floor before the Wraith even got halfway through his cloaking procedure, yet he caught right up to me as if I had just stayed in the room and feebly run around a desk. I had several seconds of a lead and it still wasn't enough. That tells me that his cooldown is negligible or nonexistent. I had no chance. LITERALLY before he even entered the room I was jumping down the hole, to the point that he didn't even fully decloak before I was already gone. Yet he still got me immediately. What was I supposed to have done? What chance did I have? How much faster could I have possibly acted?

    There's something wrong with this picture.

    It feels wrong for sure. To add to that, killer mains say "his counterplay is dropping pallets or vaulting a window"

    No, the Wraith is so fast he can zip around you to block the window or pallet. All a wraith has to do is stand in front of a window and when you get there, start to decloak and there is absolutely nothing you can do. It's a lose lose situation.

    Decloaking should be putting the wraith in the game to play, not a free hit with no counterplay.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2180098#Comment_2180098

    It feels wrong for sure. To add to that, killer mains say "his counterplay is dropping pallets or vaulting a window"

    No, the Wraith is so fast he can zip around you to block the window or pallet. All a wraith has to do is stand in front of a window and when you get there, start to decloak and there is absolutely nothing you can do. It's a lose lose situation.

    Decloaking should be putting the wraith in the game to play, not a free hit with no counterplay.

    I kind of agree with you on part of that. His uncloaking lunge combined with his speed now is absolutely insane, and you kind of need to precisely time it in order to not get hit.

  • Stop chasing with wraith.

  • Thats a god pallet that most killers will have to break. That's why a experienced killer just ignores the gen there and lets it go. But even after wraith has broke that pallet he can cloak and get in front of the survivors and block them and guarantee a hit regardless now especially with his new lunge.

    In the PTB most content creators honestly believed that the lunge was a bug and was going to be fixed before it went live, so the fact it never was is pretty insane and I'll be very surprised if it isn't changed at some point.

  • Top tier no. Give a good Wraith All Seeing Blood and Coxcombed Clapper though and they're terrifying.

  • He’s a top 3 killer now. I got him to P3 in 2 days, pretty confident that I got all 3-4Ks. Every time I play against one I get slammed. He’s scary good

  • @MrsGhostface said:

    He’s a top 3 killer now. I got him to P3 in 2 days, pretty confident that I got all 3-4Ks. Every time I play against one I get slammed. He’s scary good

    Wraith is on the same level as Nurse, Spirit, Blight, and Hag?

  • @MrsGhostface said:

    He’s a top 3 killer now. I got him to P3 in 2 days, pretty confident that I got all 3-4Ks. Every time I play against one I get slammed. He’s scary good

    nah... stop that and think about it for a second. You don't really want to tell us he is on a level with Nurse? Oni? Spirit?

1 2 ›