The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • I always wonder why BHVR never fulfilled their promise of optimization on consoles, surely the majority of the DBD playerbase is on PS4 and Xbox One?

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    I always wonder why BHVR never fulfilled their promise of optimization on consoles, surely the majority of the DBD playerbase is on PS4 and Xbox One?

    I would think so.

  • While this is a very valid complaint, so many of y'all show how entitled and clueless you are that ~nobody even CARES~ in general but also someone wanted to help you out but ~ITS BEEN WEEKS~


    DLC era of gamers are a treat

  • @DoctorDarling said:

    While this is a very valid complaint, so many of y'all show how entitled and clueless you are that ~nobody even CARES~ in general but also someone wanted to help you out but ~ITS BEEN WEEKS~

    DLC era of gamers are a treat

    Clearly, people do care.

    And it isn't entitlement to expect to be able to play the product as it was advertised.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2251825#Comment_2251825

    I was about to comment the same. I mean look how long this thread has grown?? We deserve a response now.

    There was a big thread similar to this about the exact same thing a while ago, and a dev responded, said they were gonna look into it and try to help.

    ...Yeah, a response to this thread isn't gonna do anything but give false hope. BHVR know this so they're sparing everyone by not commenting because they know it's something they currently can't promise.

  • With the resident evil chapter bringing lots of new players into the game, console players especially, surely optimisation on consoles would be one of their top priorities?

    Im glad to see this thread is still going strong at 28 pages and growing

  • @Luciferr_2nd said:

    With the resident evil chapter bringing lots of new players into the game, console players especially, surely optimisation on consoles would be one of their top priorities?

    Im glad to see this thread is still going strong at 28 pages and growing

    With the large console player base and the fact it's been asked for for literally years, you'd think it would've creeped up the priority list by now.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2252726#Comment_2252726

    With the large console player base and the fact it's been asked for for literally years, you'd think it would've creeped up the priority list by now.

    I mean, you'd think so.

    But then again, it took 4 years for Iri Head to be nerfed so.

  • @Luciferr_2nd said:

    With the resident evil chapter bringing lots of new players into the game, console players especially, surely optimisation on consoles would be one of their top priorities?

    Im glad to see this thread is still going strong at 28 pages and growing

    With the resident evil chapter bringing lots of new players into the game, console players especially, surely optimisation on consoles would be one of their top priorities?

    I respect the optimism but that's not gonna happen.

    They will probably sell a nice Resident Evil bundle (That will come with a really cool dynamic theme for PS4 which is gonna screw over anyone that already bought every DLC and base game) like they did with Stranger Things and Silent Hill chapter,then the fans will buy all those cool legendary skins to play their favourite characters.

  • @Luciferr_2nd said:

    With the resident evil chapter bringing lots of new players into the game, console players especially, surely optimisation on consoles would be one of their top priorities?

    Im glad to see this thread is still going strong at 28 pages and growing

    I hope it's one of their priorities because I guess there's more players on console than PC but I don't know.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2252726#Comment_2252726

    I hope it's one of their priorities because I guess there's more players on console than PC but I don't know.

    Yes all together console outnumber PC

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2252726#Comment_2252726

    I hope it's one of their priorities because I guess there's more players on console than PC but I don't know.

    It isn't one of their priorities or else we would have seen any improvements or info since they talked about 60 FPS on all plattforms back in early 2019

  • If by some miracle a representative from BHVR acknowledges the performance issues on this topic, that's them admitting they broke their promise of optimization back in 2019. It wouldn't surprise me if BHVR have told the mods to stay silent on this matter in the hope that this will all blow over. This topic has amassed over 10k views! Surely, a gaming news site must have picked up on this by now.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    If by some miracle a representative from BHVR acknowledges the performance issues on this topic, that's them admitting they broke their promise of optimization back in 2019. It wouldn't surprise me if BHVR have told the mods to stay silent on this matter in the hope that this will all blow over. This topic has amassed over 10k views! Surely, a gaming news site must have picked up on this by now.

    this ain't gonna blow over as long as the freezes and stuff keep happening.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    If by some miracle a representative from BHVR acknowledges the performance issues on this topic, that's them admitting they broke their promise of optimization back in 2019. It wouldn't surprise me if BHVR have told the mods to stay silent on this matter in the hope that this will all blow over. This topic has amassed over 10k views! Surely, a gaming news site must have picked up on this by now.

    Gaming news sites aren't monitoring the forums. Would need to contact them and hope they would say something but odds are they won't. Last time DBD got bunch of bad reviews on steam because of the Twins patch IGN randomly decided (or more likely paid by BHVR) to re-review DBD and gave it a 9/10.

    Could try to get some streamers to bring attention to it but most don't care about console experience because they're on pc, high end ones so they're not having any performance issues. If streamers start speaking up that'd get attention of gaming websites or BHVR much better since they have more influence over players decisions.

  • And they want to update more maps.

    even try to upgrade to a new engine.

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2252946#Comment_2252946

    It isn't one of their priorities or else we would have seen any improvements or info since they talked about 60 FPS on all plattforms back in early 2019

    This. I have been begging for an update about this goal of 60fps minimum across all platforms for forever now.

    If what they've added or changed to the game has made it no longer possible to meet that goal, I'd very much like to be told so, what platforms & why.

    Entity knows we all have listed off the triggers & situations for the lag spikes and studders etc. for years now, so recreating the issues should be easliy done. Devs: what else can we do to help y'all in this?

  • I've changed my internet plan in hopes that the lagging and freezes stop but sadly it hasn't. I even stop playing crossplay to weather the optimization hasn't help,I had one good game with barely to know lag,but the next game I was in I got frozen then kicked resulting in a 28 minute ban ,so it's clear the game is unplayable currently for me.

    I'm under the impression that we are on dedicated servers so, I'm not sure if the problem is on our end.I do believe that this just another cyberattack because our internet provider says we lost over a hundred packages, and that's not supposed to happen.This maybe the reason why they haven't spoken out yet and why their implementing an automated ban system.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2253116#Comment_2253116

    this ain't gonna blow over as long as the freezes and stuff keep happening.

    I'm also not going to let it blow over

  • I appreciate what you're doing man.

  • You guys on this thread are true heroes, you know that, right? Despite knowing that our feedback is not heard, you kept strong and held the line day after day.

    Hell, it is already 28 pages long!

    I wish the best of luck to you console players, and I sincerely hope this thread changes how BVHR handles community feedback. Not just regarding this topic, but everything else in general.

  • @GeneralV said:

    You guys on this thread are true heroes, you know that, right? Despite knowing that our feedback is not heard, you kept strong and held the line day after day.

    Hell, it is already 28 pages long!

    I wish the best of luck to you console players, and I sincerely hope this thread changes how BVHR handles community feedback. Not just regarding this topic, but everything else in general.

    We're reminded every time we log in that there's performance issues so may as well keep reminding BHVR they're still a thing. I think it helps that there's group of people from multiple platforms speaking up about it and random people keep popping in to share their experiences helping us keep it going.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2253853#Comment_2253853

    We're reminded every time we log in that there's performance issues so may as well keep reminding BHVR they're still a thing. I think it helps that there's group of people from multiple platforms speaking up about it and random people keep popping in to share their experiences helping us keep it going.

    very well said!

  • @GeneralV said:

    You guys on this thread are true heroes, you know that, right? Despite knowing that our feedback is not heard, you kept strong and held the line day after day.

    Hell, it is already 28 pages long!

    I wish the best of luck to you console players, and I sincerely hope this thread changes how BVHR handles community feedback. Not just regarding this topic, but everything else in general.

    we really appreciate it! Gonna keep it going until we get what we need.

  • Here's a new clip. Just got back from vacation the other day, so I'm sorry for the lack of new clips.

    Not sure if this is specifically Console, but I've never seen it on PC.

    https://youtu.be/_0Y3oX7FVWI


  • As we were able to make the HUD change, we have to team up again to optimize the game at once. Let's grow the thread!

  • Just had a match where the game froze because of blood lust and it led to a 20 second chase to turn into a minute and 40 second one. I lost 3 gens because the game couldn't handle a zoom effect on the edges of the screen and went on to lose the whole game because the game froze while I was trying to grab someone while they were unhooking. I failed the grab then froze b4 I could swing so everyone got out of the basement



    Okay...

  • I also appreciate our PC cousins adding their support to the cause, and relating their own experiences as well. Thank all of you that have stopped by and contributed! :)

    By now I think we all know resolving these problems benefits everybody who plays this game, no matter where they do. We are in this together gamers!!

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    I also appreciate our PC cousins adding their support to the cause, and relating their own experiences as well. Thank all of you that have stopped by and contributed! :)

    By now I think we all know resolving these problems benefits everybody who plays this game, no matter where they do. We are in this together gamers!!

    Yes, we certainly do appreciate our PC friends joining us to try and help.

    Clearly tho, the mods have bigger issues at the moment.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2255436#Comment_2255436

    Yes, we certainly do appreciate our PC friends joining us to try and help.

    Clearly tho, the mods have bigger issues at the moment.

    Yeah

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2255436#Comment_2255436

    Yes, we certainly do appreciate our PC friends joining us to try and help.

    Clearly tho, the mods have bigger issues at the moment.

    Sadly that's true, no pun intended, but doesnt help our cause one bit.

  • Bit late spotting this thread but this has bothered me for years, I’ve been playing since PS4 version release when Huntress was the newest killer.

    The Road to 60fps silence and lack of colourblind options led me to stop playing before the Twins were announced, and I haven’t played again until recently due to being more put off by the Twins/Trickster.

    Only recently have I played a few games due to actually getting a little hyped about the Resident Evil reveal and am still running into the same problems like many of you describe; killer especially is so choppy at times it severely affects gameplay to the point of frustration.

    Couple that with matchmaking which despite me not logging into the game for over 1 year, only reset my rank from 5 to 9; and I am now deranked to 11 because every game I am matched with a team of red rank survivors who I can only presume have been waiting so long that I am being thrown to the wolves.

    Some other events recently have severely affected my will to play or support the game despite the DLC looking pretty cool; but some sort of closure in regards to the Road to 60fps and what happened, would go a really long way to put my mind at rest.

    Not sure if already linked but this is the dev update where they outlined the plan to get base consoles and low end PCs to 60fps (which even at the time sounded impossible!) and this was back in March 2019:


    @not_Queen said:

    Over the past six months, we have allocated strike teams with the mission of improving the overall health of the game. As announced last December, we have developers working on a new matchmaking algorithm which we are actively testing and are almost ready to deploy. We are also targeting to migrate the game to dedicated servers by the end of summer 2019.

    This blog post is meant to update you on the efforts put on optimization, which aim to enhance the overall game’s performance.

    When we first released Dead by Daylight back in 2016, we targeted 30 FPS on our minimum spec. Up until recently, we optimized the game in bursts; for the console launch and before releasing a new Killer. We are now ready to set a new performance target: Dead by daylight will run at 60 FPS on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and minimum spec PCs.

    Reaching 60 FPS on Dead by Daylight is not an easy task. It is a multifaceted iterative process that started six months ago and will be ongoing for months. Our strike team of programmers dedicated to optimizing the game has their hands deep into the game code. To summarize, optimization improves the frame rate by using less CPU and GPU cycles to update and render the world faster without any apparent loss of quality.

    See below for a high-level view of our optimization roadmap.

    STEP 1: UPDATE TO UNREAL ENGINE 4.20

    Target: Chapter 10 and incremental changes with every engine update (update to 4.21 is planned for chapter 11)

    The engine update was a necessity to move forward with the optimization process.

    All the Unreal engine features below gives us additional tools and means to enhance the performance of the game: the new Apex integration (dynamic mesh simulation), RHI/Render thread split, Epic’s mesh reduction tool & improved animation thread tooling are just a few examples.

    STEP 2: CPU, GPU AND CONTEXTUAL OPTIMIZATIONS

    Target: Chapter 11 and ongoing

    This is the core of the work to improve the performance and the game’s frame rate.
    There are many opportunities for optimization, but here are the three main pillars overarching our efforts:

    CPU optimizations: improving the game’s baseline systems

    This is where the game world is simulated (interactions, character navigation, perks and powers). We will be converting our slowest gameplay blueprints to C++ which should, in specific cases, run ten to two hundred times faster. We are also moving from a tick-based system to an event-based-system. A tick-based system is much more demanding, as it constantly pokes the CPU to know when to trigger an action, while an event-based system can enable an event only when necessary and therefore reduce the stress on the CPU.

    GPU Optimizations: Overall Graphic Optimizations

    The GPU is where the game world is rendered into an image which is then drawn on the screen. The optimization actions listed below mainly affect the game’s visual representation. The objective is to render the world faster without sacrificing quality. We will be updating our anti-aliasing system to TXAA and moving the SSAO to a compute shader, simplify our shadow pass, optimize character outlines, improve LODs, slim render passes, bake more lights, use imposter rendering for specific objects (trees, grass) and more.

    Contextual Optimizations: Performance Spikes for Specific Actions

    We are working on optimizations that pay at any given time when you play (as mentioned above under GPU/CPU) but we also know there are specific actions and/or Killers that will need extra optimization. These are problematic cases where we see major hitches in performance. Here are a few examples: multiple characters moving in close quarters, specific Killer slow down, perks combination, etc.

    STEP 3: UPDATING OUR GUIDELINES AND PROCESSES

    Target: Chapter 12 and ongoing

    While we optimize the existing gameplay and graphic systems, we develop better tools and methods to implement new features. When we have a new process figured out, it is documented and shared with our development team who can then apply these learnings for the creation of new content.

    Our objective is to offer a better performance on all platforms, making the game look smoother and the controls more reactive. Still, doing such majors changes all at once (game engine update and rewriting game code) is bound to briefly disrupt things and require some adaptation time. We hope you understand that this is a transition period and an investment to improve the game.

    Don’t hesitate to share your feedback on our forums or social media if you encounter an issue. Our objective is to keep you updated on our progress in the coming months. The upcoming Dead by Daylight anniversary will be a great timing to give you additional visibility on our progress.

    See you in the fog,
    The Dead by Daylight team


  • I feel like console and low-end PC optimization is going to go the same way restoring lost legacy did: A few months / years of "We are looking into it" and then "Actually we can't do it so we abandon this idea."

  • @Pulsar said:

    Here's a new clip. Just got back from vacation the other day, so I'm sorry for the lack of new clips.

    Not sure if this is specifically Console, but I've never seen it on PC.

    https://youtu.be/_0Y3oX7FVWI

    That seems to be a bug that's related to the Alchemist Ring addon from Blight.

    Had that happen to me aswell when i used it

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2254899#Comment_2254899

    That seems to be a bug that's related to the Alchemist Ring addon from Blight.

    Had that happen to me aswell when i used it

    I don't play blight so I don't understand what happened.

  • Checking on this thread every now and then. A bit side noted but is this the largest thread this forum has ever had? Maybe it could mean something to BHVR.

  • @AnchorTea said:

    Checking on this thread every now and then. A bit side noted but is this the largest thread this forum has ever had? Maybe it could mean something to BHVR.

    you would think but we have yet to get a response from a dev. My only hope is they're at least reading the complaints and understanding our frustration but one comment from them would help.

  • @AnchorTea said:

    Checking on this thread every now and then. A bit side noted but is this the largest thread this forum has ever had? Maybe it could mean something to BHVR.

    I'm just worried that the game is gonna run worse when the RE chapter drops.

  • I'm no game developer but given that they have neglected the performance issues on consoles for so long perhaps the game is beyond repair? I really think this is the case but BHVR won't admit to it.

  • @AnchorTea said:

    Checking on this thread every now and then. A bit side noted but is this the largest thread this forum has ever had? Maybe it could mean something to BHVR.

    Last summer we had one on same subject reach 34 pages before it was closed.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/179630/bhvr-can-we-acknowledge-fps-on-console-is-awful-since-4-1-0/p1

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2256274#Comment_2256274

    I'm just worried that the game is gonna run worse when the RE chapter drops.

    This is my worry about the new chapter. When I saw a dev in ptb feedback say reason they didn't do more than 2 zombies was because of performance issues I instantly started dreading Nemesis game play on console.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2256274#Comment_2256274

    you would think but we have yet to get a response from a dev. My only hope is they're at least reading the complaints and understanding our frustration but one comment from them would help.

    They'll likely do the same thing they did to the last mega thread about this issue. Wait for the complaints to grow unignorable, and then a mod will come in and say "We hear you, but don't have anything to report about this" then they'll close the thread and do nothing for a year. Then a new mega thread will begin about this issue because they haven't done anything to make their game play better on last gen console.

  • Damn, the thread was really closed because people were bumping it for “drama”.

    Or maybe they were doing it because they wanted their valid complaints to actually be addressed, and not lied to when someone says they’ve been “heard”

  • @Nebula said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2256301#Comment_2256301

    Damn, the thread was really closed because people were bumping it for “drama”.

    Or maybe they were doing it because they wanted their valid complaints to actually be addressed, and not lied to when someone says they’ve been “heard”

    Imagine complaining about a genuine issue only to be silenced by mods, censorship at it's finest.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Funny how a dev can afford to respond "OINK" on every thread related to The Pig but can't even answer this with "hey, our team knows about your problem".

    Yeah, it's such a slap in the face.

  • @Nebula said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2256301#Comment_2256301

    Damn, the thread was really closed because people were bumping it for “drama”.

    Or maybe they were doing it because they wanted their valid complaints to actually be addressed, and not lied to when someone says they’ve been “heard”

    Yeah, it was definitely unfortunate but after that now any post on console I'm interested in I select to follow it so I get emailed everyone's comments. This way I can see for myself what people are saying before they possibly get deleted - I have trust issues. 😂

    I do think that once these types of posts get a certain length the higher ups give orders to find a reason to close them because it's something negative staying at top of main forum. So far, from what I can tell, people have been really good at continuing discussions while remaining respectful. Hopefully if we continue this way of reminding BHVR that this is still an issue they will finally do something to address it to make these posts stop instead of just finding reasons to close them.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2256274#Comment_2256274

    you would think but we have yet to get a response from a dev. My only hope is they're at least reading the complaints and understanding our frustration but one comment from them would help.

    I think they are rather looking for a comment to justify closing this thread like they did last time with a 30+ pages long thread

  • Or when someone posts an exclusively positive thread and they post a thank you for the feedback. I have never seen them post a thank you for negative, but constructive feedback.

    An example is this thread: examples of the issues, with videos, people asking if they can do more to help out. The only response: "We will post an update later, maybe" and the sound of crickets.

    I am not saying that they don't care about negative feedback but the signals they are sending makes it look that way to me.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Funny how a dev can afford to respond "OINK" on every thread related to The Pig but can't even answer this with "hey, our team knows about your problem".

    Optimization isn't that devs department and he's not one that is in position to be giving out info. Atleast he does give out information when he can and communicates with players. The communication/pr department are the ones deciding what can/can't be said to the player base.

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2256283#Comment_2256283

    I think they are rather looking for a comment to justify closing this thread like they did last time with a 30+ pages long thread

    If this happens I'm sure a new thread will be created in it's place.

1 … 15 16 17 18 19 … 82