Idea for Spirit counterplay

I haven't seen anybody suggest this, but what if Spirit got more counterplay in the form of chase music? Maybe certain instruments can play when she starts phasing or something like that. I think it'd be a pretty cool addition and it wouldn't be a boring nerf like making her move slower or muffling sounds when she phases.

What do you guys think of this idea? (This is just an idea, not saying that she needs to get nerfed hard.)

Comments

  • @Toblerone007 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2025480#Comment_2025480

    "Stats that show killrate in one of the most volatile games in every single stage of it are flawed by definition.

    Survivors can rush 5 gens without a single hit, open gates and then get bloodwardened on last quater of EGC."

    That's fine the outcome is still a win for killer with that scenario. Lots of pvp games can turn at any given moment. I think if there was a clear win condition then it would be better to analyse the data. Currently most killers are between 2-3 kills average red rank. That's more of a killer team win rather than a survivor team win in my book. Watch your use of the phrase 'by definition'. By definition of what? lol awkward phrasing.

    I want keys nerfed too but that still currently a win for survivor team but yes that's not balanced.

    "If survivor is playing correctly, he is fine 50% of the time against spirit playing correctly."

    Where did you pull that stat from? aha

    "Think outside of the box. Wasting time looking for stealthing survivor is also a distraction. If you combine stealth with chases, you'll give spirit a lot of headache and make her waste enough time. Especially if other 3 survivors are also not idiots thinking that chases is the only way to distract killer."

    I'm aware that it's a distraction from the killer. That doesn't mean they're going to commit to searching. It begs the question: Why are you so against chase? You have this demeanour that you're a terrible player if you're good at chase. I don't get it.

    "And I don't see the replayability in running in circles, so what? Stealth works on all killers, it just so happens that killers like Spirit, who lack tracking and are forced to quickly traverse between gens as well as being basically blind, have much less time to look for survivors, which makes stealth effective."

    Stealth is a pretty clear cut very little micromanagement skill for survivor. That's why it's not replayable like chase. Many of the top killer content creators share an enjoyment out of chasing survivors. It's a huge part of the gameplay for killer and survivor. Stealth means not doing generators.

    "You forgot to mention downsides, that are lack of vision of survivors. I guess you have no other arguments than mental gymnastics.."

    Audio. You're tracking with audio. You see tall grass movement too. You're going to say walk then. You can still hear breathing. A good spirit player gets very accurate with this.

    Please stop using your one liner 'mental gymnastics' and please stop bolding words. Keep it civil

    How is that provocative? What? Just say no lol

    >That's fine the outcome is still a win for killer with that scenario. Lots of pvp games can turn at any given moment. I think if there was a clear win condition then it would be better to analyse the data. Currently most killers are between 2-3 kills average red rank. That's more of a killer team win rather than a survivor team win in my book. Watch your use of the phrase 'by definition'. By definition of what? lol awkward phrasing.

    And none assymetric pvp games use such kind of stats as a measure of things. You picked on my wording, minor moments but ignored the main argument - judging by kill rate in a game where earning a "kill" has less than nothing in common with something being strong or not is a wrong approach in the first place.

    I didn't even mention another main reason why killrate stats are flawed - they don't consider disconnects (early DC = death sentence for other survivors), presence of SWF, items, addons and perks used and many other factors that greatly affect the outcome. All that Killrate stats show is: Killer, killrate and rank. Nothing else.

    >Where did you pull that stat from? aha

    From the same place Spirit haters pull "it's a guess" argument.

    >I'm aware that it's a distraction from the killer. That doesn't mean they're going to commit to searching. It begs the question: Why are you so against chase? You have this demeanour that you're a terrible player if you're good at chase. I don't get it.

    Yet another masterful evasion of addressing the main argument.

    >Stealth is a pretty clear cut very little micromanagement skill for survivor. That's why it's not replayable like chase. Many of the top killer content creators share an enjoyment out of chasing survivors. It's a huge part of the gameplay for killer and survivor. Stealth means not doing generators.

    Being thrilled by killer passing by is pretty replayable, people just don't give it a try, because it's much easier to them to wait until killer is right near them and then run away with SB and start a chase.

    >Audio. You're tracking with audio. You see tall grass movement too. You're going to say walk then. You can still hear breathing. A good spirit player gets very accurate with this.

    Tracking with audio really works when survivor is injured. When they are not, all other sounds are usually overwhelmed by whoosh sound, unless you turn on your volume to maximum, but in that case playing spirit is harmful for your ears.

    >Please stop using your one liner 'mental gymnastics' and please stop bolding words. Keep it civil

    I'm calling things their names. You twist my words, pick on awkward wording, create strawman arguments and avoid answering my main points. You are also trying to make it person by indirectly insulting me (calling me terrible player for example).

    >How is that provocative? What? Just say no lol

    Alright, I'm saying No. I'm not going to waste my time playing with a person who is too stubborn to accept any kind of arguments or facts that contradict his view and who will twist even the most unfavourable things for him in his favour and call it a win. That would be pretty worthless, you've yet to prove anything on words, why do you think you'll prove anything in action?

  • @Profezia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2025538#Comment_2025538

    >That's fine the outcome is still a win for killer with that scenario. Lots of pvp games can turn at any given moment. I think if there was a clear win condition then it would be better to analyse the data. Currently most killers are between 2-3 kills average red rank. That's more of a killer team win rather than a survivor team win in my book. Watch your use of the phrase 'by definition'. By definition of what? lol awkward phrasing.

    And none assymetric pvp games use such kind of stats as a measure of things. You picked on my wording, minor moments but ignored the main argument - judging by kill rate in a game where earning a "kill" has less than nothing in common with something being strong or not is a wrong approach in the first place.

    I didn't even mention another main reason why killrate stats are flawed - they don't consider disconnects (early DC = death sentence for other survivors), presence of SWF, items, addons and perks used and many other factors that greatly affect the outcome. All that Killrate stats show is: Killer, killrate and rank. Nothing else.

    >Where did you pull that stat from? aha

    From the same place Spirit haters pull "it's a guess" argument.

    >I'm aware that it's a distraction from the killer. That doesn't mean they're going to commit to searching. It begs the question: Why are you so against chase? You have this demeanour that you're a terrible player if you're good at chase. I don't get it.

    Yet another masterful evasion of addressing the main argument.

    >Stealth is a pretty clear cut very little micromanagement skill for survivor. That's why it's not replayable like chase. Many of the top killer content creators share an enjoyment out of chasing survivors. It's a huge part of the gameplay for killer and survivor. Stealth means not doing generators.

    Being thrilled by killer passing by is pretty replayable, people just don't give it a try, because it's much easier to them to wait until killer is right near them and then run away with SB and start a chase.

    >Audio. You're tracking with audio. You see tall grass movement too. You're going to say walk then. You can still hear breathing. A good spirit player gets very accurate with this.

    Tracking with audio really works when survivor is injured. When they are not, all other sounds are usually overwhelmed by whoosh sound, unless you turn on your volume to maximum, but in that case playing spirit is harmful for your ears.

    >Please stop using your one liner 'mental gymnastics' and please stop bolding words. Keep it civil

    I'm calling things their names. You twist my words, pick on awkward wording, create strawman arguments and avoid answering my main points. You are also trying to make it person by indirectly insulting me (calling me terrible player for example).

    >How is that provocative? What? Just say no lol

    Alright, I'm saying No. I'm not going to waste my time playing with a person who is too stubborn to accept any kind of arguments or facts that contradict his view and who will twist even the most unfavourable things for him in his favour and call it a win. That would be pretty worthless, you've yet to prove anything on words, why do you think you'll prove anything in action?

    You haven't given in an inch. And I'm stubborn.

    This game is pioneering a genre so reliable statistics for balance is not kill rate. I agree. However, spirit is still performing better. In pick rate too.

    What's the main argument? I'll address it next.

    No it's not. I'm sorry but after thousands of hours I'm not thrilled by the killer running by anymore. Theres no way you can convince me otherwise there. I'm sure some players can get behind me on that.

    You're still tracking with audio and downing with audio. Visuals are scratch marks too. You argued downside of phasing. There really isn't a downside. It's highly highly versatile whenever the survivor is near it healthy or injured. Naturally it's easier to track an injured player though.

    I'm not twisting your words. I'm trying to address them. Name something I twisted and didn't say how it is. Dot point your main argument and I promise I'll directly answer. I do feel I'm not getting that same respect though. I am trying my hardest to take you seriously. Sorry if you took offense to anything wasn't my intent. Sorry.

    Yeah so say no and leave it at that. No need to justify it. Was just an idea. You're really provoking me with that last line but I digress and will leave it.

  • Can they just remove her passive phasing?

    It's annoying when she doubles back and disappears so I don't know which way to turn in that half a second and end up getting hit.

    I've already accepted that her power is what it is and I will end up getting hit 80% of time if they use headphones, be it if I crouch or if I run to the next tile, I just cannot counterplay her.

    So please let me loop her at least when she's not using her power.

  • @Toblerone007 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2025582#Comment_2025582

    You haven't given in an inch. And I'm stubborn.

    This game is pioneering a genre so reliable statistics for balance is not kill rate. I agree. However, spirit is still performing better. In pick rate too.

    What's the main argument? I'll address it next.

    No it's not. I'm sorry but after thousands of hours I'm not thrilled by the killer running by anymore. Theres no way you can convince me otherwise there. I'm sure some players can get behind me on that.

    You're still tracking with audio and downing with audio. Visuals are scratch marks too. You argued downside of phasing. There really isn't a downside. It's highly highly versatile whenever the survivor is near it healthy or injured. Naturally it's easier to track an injured player though.

    I'm not twisting your words. I'm trying to address them. Name something I twisted and didn't say how it is. Dot point your main argument and I promise I'll directly answer. I do feel I'm not getting that same respect though. I am trying my hardest to take you seriously. Sorry if you took offense to anything wasn't my intent. Sorry.

    Yeah so say no and leave it at that. No need to justify it. Was just an idea. You're really provoking me with that last line but I digress and will leave it.

    You're so triggered, lol, calm down before contributing to the discussion

  • @Profezia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2025631#Comment_2025631

    You're so triggered, lol, calm down before contributing to the discussion

    Alright this is last response then.

    Nah pretty sure I brought a lot to discuss mate. Even with your vague answers at time, I can see Spirit's state means a lot to you. Each to their own. Still think she is unhealthy in current state.

    A little annoyed with your snarky behaviour I was genuinely happy to have a discussion on spirit. You seem to have a premeditated response to everything I say though whether or not it actually answers the question.

  • @Toblerone007 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2025887#Comment_2025887

    Alright this is last response then.

    Nah pretty sure I brought a lot to discuss mate. Even with your vague answers at time, I can see Spirit's state means a lot to you. Each to their own. Still think she is unhealthy in current state.

    A little annoyed with your snarky behaviour I was genuinely happy to have a discussion on spirit. You seem to have a premeditated response to everything I say though whether or not it actually answers the question.

    Exactly, you think.

    I disapproved all your arguments and you keep picking on words and doing other kinds of mental gymnastics. I won this discussion long ago.

  • i think a saxophone should play when she phases

  • @Dizzy1096 said:

    Why do people act like it’s a fact she needs massive and obvious counterplay? So she can become the next Demogorgan?

    Half the things ok the survivor side, maps as well have very little counterplay and killers have to learn to live with it. Just use pallets and windows and learn to read Spirits. Its like survivors arent happy if the counterplay is anything more demanding than “press space bar to drop pallet for complete safety”.

    Let suppose that i literally learn the playstile of someone that i never have seen in my life

    Would still remain the main problem

    She is boring to go against.

  • @Profezia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2025923#Comment_2025923

    Exactly, you think.

    I disapproved all your arguments and you keep picking on words and doing other kinds of mental gymnastics. I won this discussion long ago.

    Sorry guess this one's the last reply out of sheer pity.

    Mate. "Disapproved"? Are you sure that's the correct term? aha

    Call it what you will; that's the third time you've used the same one-liner. Yikes.

    Oh you won? Well done dad didn't even hear the fat lady sing. You're sooo good at this sweetie.

    I'll remember you when spirit receives her next change. I'll let you know I was on the old ruin nerf train, first spirit nerf, mori nerf, PH nerf and recent undying nerf train. I tell you I have argued with people who struggle to argue just like yourself. I'd produce similar arguments on reddit and here. I must not know anything. The only other thing that hasn't changed yet is the noed rework train.

    You know nothin' Jon Snow.

    Good luck, I hope you get it your way.

  • @Toblerone007 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2025982#Comment_2025982

    Sorry guess this one's the last reply out of sheer pity.

    Mate. "Disapproved"? Are you sure that's the correct term? aha

    Call it what you will; that's the third time you've used the same one-liner. Yikes.

    Oh you won? Well done dad didn't even hear the fat lady sing. You're sooo good at this sweetie.

    I'll remember you when spirit receives her next change. I'll let you know I was on the old ruin nerf train, first spirit nerf, mori nerf, PH nerf and recent undying nerf train. I tell you I have argued with people who struggle to argue just like yourself. I'd produce similar arguments on reddit and here. I must not know anything. The only other thing that hasn't changed yet is the noed rework train.

    You know nothin' Jon Snow.

    Good luck, I hope you get it your way.

    You fleed because you lost =)

  • I play both survivors and killers, and I play Spirit too.

    The best way to counter her lies in some perks: Iron Will negates her capabilty to find you while phasing. Of course, you need to stop running in order to not show your position with scratches.

    That said, fixated is the ultimate combo with iron will against spirit. Since it has been buffed so you can walk faster while injured, this is the best perk combo to counter spirit.

  • @Breque said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2022868#Comment_2022868

    Let suppose that i literally learn the playstile of someone that i never have seen in my life

    Would still remain the main problem

    She is boring to go against.

    Holding W around large or indoor maps, areas full of god pallets and safe pallets, stacked second chance perks at every opportunity....plenty on the survivor side is boring too. Deal with it.

  • @Profezia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2024311#Comment_2024311

    Just like playing against good survivors as m1 killer is having odds against you:

    if you don't mindgame, you're forced to power through loops and lose the game.

    if you mindgame, you're at disadvantage by definition, since survivor has 3rd person view and can see the direction you're looking at, while you don't have such privilege.

    That is actually a good comparison, in both scenarios there isn't much the player can do and as such it becomes a unfair and unfun situation to be in.

    I don't have a problem with mindgames, in fact I believe that's its absolutely necessary to have in the game but when spirit phases there isn't any clue or hint on where she could be and it becomes a guessing game which isn't fun. With normal mindgames you atleast have some information to go off of but spirit gives you nothing to work with at all.

    I don't want permanent vision on her on all times, I don't want her to be gutted but all im asking for is some kind of hint, even if it's small, that she's phasing in a chase. She'd still be a strong killer.

  • @Dizzy1096 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026083#Comment_2026083

    Holding W around large or indoor maps, areas full of god pallets and safe pallets, stacked second chance perks at every opportunity....plenty on the survivor side is boring too. Deal with it.

    Sorry to say but if like, if your problem is literally that, it just seems that you need to get gud

  • @Breque said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026264#Comment_2026264

    Sorry to say but if like, if your problem is literally that, it just seems that you need to get gud

    So if something is boring for killer the killer needs to get gud but if something is boring for survivor it needs a nerf. Certainly no bias in you is there.

  • @FrostySeal said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2023556#Comment_2023556

    I don't really care too much about the standing still mindgame as it can be ignored in most situations, but if your looping a structure and the spirit starts standing still then your options become incredibly limited and it turns into a guessing game where the odds are stacked against you.

    And really? Playing as spirit isn't even close to proper counterplay. Just spend money to learn how to counter the killer 10head! Yeah sure you may be able to predict what the spirit will do slightly better if they're okish but once again, against good spirits it all turns into a guessing game. Even good survivors struggle against spirit because how unpredictable she can be in a chase.

    Judging by your previous posts it obvious that you have a bias for killer, and it's becoming clearer to me that I can't have a proper debate if your not willing to acknowledge my points. If your countering a spirit consistently in a chase, that's not you being good, that's the spirit being bad.

    that's your problem. are you going to stay in a structure against a nurse. no because you will get hit. then why you stay in a structure when you know she can move fast.

  • @pigsaag said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2024311#Comment_2024311

    that's your problem. are you going to stay in a structure against a nurse. no because you will get hit. then why you stay in a structure when you know she can move fast.

    I don't always stay in structures against a spirit unless I'm stuck in a deadzone and it's my only option, and even if I do run away the spirit will usually realize quickly that the scratch marks lead away from the loop, thus they catch up quickly and you get whacked, or if I start walking away they pay attention to the grass movements or the breathing sounds.

    Unlike spirit, Nurse gives the survivor information on what she's going to do. When she activates her ability it makes an audio cue for the survivor and the survivor can see how long she holds her blink for. Just before she blinks a smoke trail appears and shows where she will be going.

  • @Dizzy1096 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026513#Comment_2026513

    So if something is boring for killer the killer needs to get gud but if something is boring for survivor it needs a nerf. Certainly no bias in you is there.

    I really need to explain the difference between an killer being boring and you literally complain about walking

  • @Dizzy1096 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026513#Comment_2026513

    So if something is boring for killer the killer needs to get gud but if something is boring for survivor it needs a nerf. Certainly no bias in you is there.

    The word 'bias' doesn't look good on you. Just saying.

    I do understand that it's boring to deal with god pallets/windows. That doesn't discount the fact spirit has this issue for survivor.

  • @Dizzy1096 said:

    Why do people act like it’s a fact she needs massive and obvious counterplay? So she can become the next Demogorgan?

    Half the things ok the survivor side, maps as well have very little counterplay and killers have to learn to live with it. Just use pallets and windows and learn to read Spirits. Its like survivors arent happy if the counterplay is anything more demanding than “press space bar to drop pallet for complete safety”.

    No, people act like she needs to have some degree of reliable counter play. Guessing is not counter play and Spirit's entire power is "guess what i'll do next." Is she phasing? Is she just doing the stand still mind game? Can she hear me? When you lose to hear there's no satisfaction, because you can't play better against a Spirit, they just hear you or see you and catch up to you and you die.

    Why do people act like Spirit has reliable counter play?

  • @AChaoticKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2022819#Comment_2022819

    There would still be mindgame potential you just have to be in your power.

    I honestly think the standing still mindgame is stupid and it can be accomplished in the same way if you use your power and stand still.

    true true.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2022819#Comment_2022819

    She may be used less if she got nerfed but I will never leave her no matter what happens. She’s been my main ever since I started playing her and BHVR will never be able to make another killer that I fall in love more than I did with Spirit.

    I respect you for it. The amount of people that drop a killer or weapon in other games just because they got nerfed and aren't broken is way too high and its annoying that people just wanna use the busted stuff

  • @Ramxenoc445 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2022940#Comment_2022940

    I respect you for it. The amount of people that drop a killer or weapon in other games just because they got nerfed and aren't broken is way too high and its annoying that people just wanna use the busted stuff

    Thanks. I honestly am pulling for her to not be an S tier killer anymore. A tier or maybe very high B tier would be fine. I don’t want to seem like a try hard for playing a killer that I love.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2034061#Comment_2034061

    Thanks. I honestly am pulling for her to not be an S tier killer anymore. A tier or maybe very high B tier would be fine. I don’t want to seem like a try hard for playing a killer that I love.

    I'm the same way. I don't wanna play S tier especially in a game like this nobody will enjoy going against it. After freddy's rework I became a Legion main and after being tired of playing hot garbo I decided I'd commit to what I said before and try to git gud with Huntress and I love her and playing her is fun and very rewarding if you do well.

1 2 ›