If you were the devs, what would you do first?

Woo-hoo! You magically get hired as the entire dev team for the day & get to make your own changes to the game.

What would you do first? Would you change a perk, remove a killer, rework a map? You only got 1 day, so get to it!


(I would personally remove Spirit lol)

Edit: I'd add in shirtless Myers too. Yall can thank me later.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @kyogul said:

    remove basement

    active for solo queue only (if you start a game with someone in a lobby, this feature is disabled for anyone in lobby): when someone is hooked, you are able to see where your other teammates are to coordinate saves for pub games, but if they are within a certain radius of a generator their auras are not shown for several seconds and their aura is entirely hidden if they are operating on a generator, and also aura blocked if they are in chase, to ensure that this doesn't become more abused

    remove bloodlust

    remove dead hard

    for each hooked and/or downed survivor, exit gates are regressed by a certain percent, let's say 15% for each survivor

    legion's power shouldn't cancel if they miss

    allow console players to change graphic settings (low~ultra)

    remove perk tiers and only have the "tier" be tier 3 at base

    add a FOV slider

    make spirit's breathing be heard in the direction she is phasing in for survivors and remove her ability to fake phase

    add a noise for when deathslinger is aiming

    allow people to try out different combinations of things in store to know if they want to buy something, like a hair from one set, a shirt from another, and bottoms from a third

    "make spirit's breathing be heard in the direction she is phasing in for survivors" So you're gonna destroy the whole concept of Spirit? The whole concept and idea behind Spirit are mind games.

  • Buff every bad perk of survivors and killers. I need thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. :)

  • @AggressiveFTW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1905300#Comment_1905300

    "make spirit's breathing be heard in the direction she is phasing in for survivors" So you're gonna destroy the whole concept of Spirit? The whole concept and idea behind Spirit are mind games.

    There shouldn't be a killer with absolutely no indication. Going against her shouldn't be a guessing game, it should be an actual mindgame that you can participate in.

  • Fire everyone except for Mathieu Cote, not_Queen, and the Art team. Hire Tru3 to deal with all the balance and design issues and find someone who can actually code properly. A small 20-30 person team.

  • @Beelzeboop said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1905064#Comment_1905064

    I don't know. I would like to play up the daylight horror from the original film, though.

    Maybe a stance system of sorts, switching between a "Searching" stance, where he's undetectable (he comes straight outa nowhere in the movie) but slightly slower, and a "Chasing" stance, where he's faster, has a one hit down, and can break pallets with basic attacks, but is using his fully revved chainsaw, which is slow to use and audible from half the map away.

    Picture this: You're doing gens with your bud, when suddenly BBBBBRRRRVVVVV!!!!!!!! You run away, you don't look back, but you know he's there. The chainsaw fades as you make it to relative safety, but suddenly, it stops. You know what's happened. Your friend is down. You'll have to go back and find him. You search, praying you don't hear- BBBBBRRRRVVVVV!!!!!!!! BBQ and Chili. After a brief chase, you escape. You never found your friend.

    That's just off the top of my head. If I actually had to code it in I would take at least a week to think hard about what to do with this guy. It would have to have some sort of stealth-adjacent ability, as tribute to the fact that they never show the violence as it happens on screen.

    He's important in the history of horror, especially slasher films. He deserves better.

    He really does.

    Can I just say how much I love this idea? I know it's an off-the-cuff one and likely would need fine tuning, but my god, he sounds so much more fun to play in this form, both against and as. It's an S-tier according to my idea of a good killer - one who has the potential to legitimately spook and create moments of excitement.

    I think people misconstrue what Killer mains want out of our Killers, so it's just really nice to see someone else who gets my mentality that the power role we want as killer isn't "Guaranteed to 3k against similarly matched survivors and shut down loops", but "Power fantasy and Atmosphere". It's why I love Mikey so much despite his middle-of-the pack balance - because you FEEL like Michael Myers (though my only change to facilitate this further would be an addon that makes him undetectable while stalking at the cost of stopping movement or something) - going from being a stalking, faceless shape to a unstoppable juggernaut running down his prey. Games with him escalate and have a lot of surprise ambushes, and it just FEELS good.

    I get that people are competitive by nature, but it's easy to forget the emotional payoff of just being a threat, getting a legitimate scare, or being able to legitimately get into the role of a horror movie villain, hence why my entire set of changes was about behavior improvement and binary balance - so the game can focus on the good stuff for both parties.

  • @AggressiveFTW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1905300#Comment_1905300

    "make spirit's breathing be heard in the direction she is phasing in for survivors" So you're gonna destroy the whole concept of Spirit? The whole concept and idea behind Spirit are mind games.

    Mind games that are so one sided they might as well win without you pr input

  • @AggressiveFTW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1905300#Comment_1905300

    "make spirit's breathing be heard in the direction she is phasing in for survivors" So you're gonna destroy the whole concept of Spirit? The whole concept and idea behind Spirit are mind games.

    It's still not fair that survivors have no information to work with. I hate random guesswork just as much as everyone else. I played a lot of Mario Party when I was younger, and there are a lot of minigames from every one of those games that were just complete luck-base with no skill involved. I hated those minigames so much. The same thing applies to the survivor side when playing against a GOOD spirit (bad spirits are very easy to deal with).

  • First thing i would do is take a look at the strongest perks in the game

    1. .DS I would adjust it to etiher

    A. same amount of time but it is disabled if you touch a gen or totem or locker or you heal to full

    B. it is a 30 second timer that pauses while you are in chase still disabled if you touch a gen or tote

    2 I would look at perks like ruin and undying figure out why they are so favored realize it is due to gen times being so short compared to the 12 hook objective of the killer. adjust as needed.

    3 i would remove object adren and noed completely they are unhealthy mechanics in the game as well as insidious.

    4 i would take a look at the grab mechanic and fix it so people

    A. stop getting stuck in animation hell.

    B. it is more balanced on if the grab goes through or not.

    C. if i cant fix it i would change it to a "hard hit" mechanic that its a 1 shot down instead of a grab

    5 I would make it so you can select an auto fill option for the web so you can grab the thing you want and then auto fill the rest

    6 i would change future balancing to the high level rather than low level players ( as its been said before) a full squad of high level survivors has very little fear from the killer if they are playing so sweaty

    7 i would limit the system to 1 second chance perk on per survivor IE DS unbreakable, soul guard, borrowed time ( unless i fixed the gen timers first)

    8 I would take a look at the range needed to hit through windows and maybe put a little box or design outside each window to show how far you have to be away before you cant be hit.

    9 get rid of aim assist.

    10 many other small things

  • @Karao_Ke said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1905249#Comment_1905249

    Ideas like this is what would make DBD scarier again. I love the TCM films & really like the concept of implementing mechanics that represent Leatherface as how he is in the movies.

    To be completely honest, this is probably the best rework idea I've ever heard of for Bubba. Well done!

    Thanks! I have a lot of ideas for reworks, redesigns, and general fixes, if my original comment didn't tip you off.

    I've been studying the horror genre, monster design, art, and game design (both tabletop games and video games) for about five years and counting.

    I actually had the idea to make my own DBD-style 4v1 unbalanced multiplayer game at one point, with high visual and playstyle customizability for both Slashers (Killers) and Protagonists (Survivors), in addition to multiple gamemodes and challenge types.

    By the way, thought it was worth mentioning that there's a ######### Roblox game with better gameplay than DBD. It's called Before the Dawn. I wouldn't say this if it wasn't true.

    Sorry, got way off track there. Anyway, if you wanna ask any other questions, fire away.

  • @Patiencehero said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1905249#Comment_1905249

    Can I just say how much I love this idea? I know it's an off-the-cuff one and likely would need fine tuning, but my god, he sounds so much more fun to play in this form, both against and as. It's an S-tier according to my idea of a good killer - one who has the potential to legitimately spook and create moments of excitement.

    I think people misconstrue what Killer mains want out of our Killers, so it's just really nice to see someone else who gets my mentality that the power role we want as killer isn't "Guaranteed to 3k against similarly matched survivors and shut down loops", but "Power fantasy and Atmosphere". It's why I love Mikey so much despite his middle-of-the pack balance - because you FEEL like Michael Myers (though my only change to facilitate this further would be an addon that makes him undetectable while stalking at the cost of stopping movement or something) - going from being a stalking, faceless shape to a unstoppable juggernaut running down his prey. Games with him escalate and have a lot of surprise ambushes, and it just FEELS good.

    I get that people are competitive by nature, but it's easy to forget the emotional payoff of just being a threat, getting a legitimate scare, or being able to legitimately get into the role of a horror movie villain, hence why my entire set of changes was about behavior improvement and binary balance - so the game can focus on the good stuff for both parties.

    Thanks, its so rare that I find someone who gets it.

    I would love to redesign quite a few of the killers to be "scarier," or to fit their respective series or genres better. I fell in love with this game more for the concept of being a horror icon or even just a scary monster, and I would love to make this feeling dominant for the killer.

    I'd focus on making the game objectively more scary, atmospheric, and fun before actual balance.

    In my studies, I've found that while ideally a game should be both fun and balanced, the former usually beats out the latter.


    BTW, that add-on you suggest would be awesome.

  • @Beelzeboop said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1905308#Comment_1905308

    Thanks! I have a lot of ideas for reworks, redesigns, and general fixes, if my original comment didn't tip you off.

    I've been studying the horror genre, monster design, art, and game design (both tabletop games and video games) for about five years and counting.

    I actually had the idea to make my own DBD-style 4v1 unbalanced multiplayer game at one point, with high visual and playstyle customizability for both Slashers (Killers) and Protagonists (Survivors), in addition to multiple gamemodes and challenge types.

    By the way, thought it was worth mentioning that there's a ######### Roblox game with better gameplay than DBD. It's called Before the Dawn. I wouldn't say this if it wasn't true.

    Sorry, got way off track there. Anyway, if you wanna ask any other questions, fire away.

    Well let me just say that those years definitely paid off, because myself & others love your ideas. The concept of reworking killers & in-game mechanics to fill in the atmospheric horror game that DBD could be is just amazing.

    I don't know why you didn't go through with your game idea, because I really think you should take these thoughts & years of experience and put it towards a game that you can call yours. Even if you have to do a Kickstarter or something, I'll bet it'll be good.

  • @Karao_Ke said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1907196#Comment_1907196

    Well let me just say that those years definitely paid off, because myself & others love your ideas. The concept of reworking killers & in-game mechanics to fill in the atmospheric horror game that DBD could be is just amazing.

    I don't know why you didn't go through with your game idea, because I really think you should take these thoughts & years of experience and put it towards a game that you can call yours. Even if you have to do a Kickstarter or something, I'll bet it'll be good.

    Thanks, but my coding knowledge still probably isn't up to scratch. I'm still learning Javascript, but I'm doing pretty well.

    I also suffer from "Scatterbrained Artist Syndrome," meaning that at any given time I'm working on 17 projects that I'm gonna give up on or forget about before I'm even halfway done. The general treatment is "write stuff the hell down," but I'm severely allergic to the main ingredients, "patience" and "commitment."

    The main reason I wanted to do it was actually to force DBD to improve by giving it some actual competition. If you haven't noticed, Dead by Daylight is pretty much the only "good" 4v1 unbalanced multiplayer game on the market right now, and I kinda wanted to change that.

  • There are two main things I would like to do, if I were able to accomplish both of those in a day.

    The first is taking a look at all the weak/underperforming perks in the game and give them buffs. Some of them I may have to change what they do, but I'd still try to keep it true to it's original design. Take Predator for example: In it's current state its really more of a hinderance than it is a help. What I would do to change that one is make it the anti lightweight, so it makes scratch marks stay around for a few seconds longer.

    The second thing would be a bit more difficult, but I believe it is an entirely necessary change. I would want to add a new core gameplay mechanic to the early game. Maybe make it so that survivors need to find some parts to use to repair generators. Maybe the entity greatly hinders or straight up restricts generator repairing at first, and you need to destroy some alters or something in order to weaken the entity's grasp. I believe this would greatly benefit the game's health. By extending the length of games, it would help to curb killer reliance on slowdown perks. This would make killer mains happy because they could be free to experiment with other perks. I imagine this would make survivors happy too, cause if killers start running less slowdown perks, they don't have to put up with the slowdown perks they find annoying as much. On top of this, adding something like this may make it easier for the devs to create new perks, as they have a new mechanic they can base perks around.


    So in short, buff/rework all the weak perks, add new early game mechanic.

  • 1: Hire a PR department. Seriously, saying things like 'I don't give a **** about DS' or 'Go play Civ 5' is an embarrassment and horribly unprofessional. The fact that these comments keep happening to the point it's basically become a meme is proof some PR is desperately needed.

    2: Implement voice as a standard feature. One of the big issues is that SWF with coms provides a HUGE advantage if used properly. Giving all survivors the capability of voice communication means you only have to balance around voice comms, so instead of ignoring the fact that SWF is a thing and being blissfully ignorant that despite OoO's stats being underwhelming it is far from balanced, you can actually start balancing the game around a single playerbase.

    3: Put a limiter on DS. DS is necessary, but it needs some kind of turn of condition to keep it from being a 60 second god button. Jumping on a gen, healing yourself or another survivor a full health state, basically anything you couldn't do while being chased, turns it off. If you can safely sit on a gen, you're not being tunneled. It still helps as an anti-tunnel perk since if you are legitimately being tunneled it'll still work, but now you can't just safely make progress while the killer sets one of 4 kitchen timers to keep track of your DS.

    4: Make sure the balance team isn't so out of touch with the game that they can't explain simple questions about balance, like why a certain thing is getting nerfed. Not trying to throw shade at Almo here, he's a chill dude and all, but as someone who actually wants this game to succeed and do well, it physically hurt hearing him say "Freddy's getting a nerf because he's OP, Idk why he's OP, but he's OP". If you're going to nerf something, you should at least be able to explain the basics of why when asked. Maybe not all the stats and numbers, but at least the basic premise. Even something as simple as 'He's a bit overtooled right now, and his ability to teleport, lay traps, and make you oblivious in the dream world is just a bit much compared to other killers." would be much better than just flat out admitting you have no clue why something is OP, but you're nerfing it anyway. If it was just kind of a one time blank, ok sure, but it seems like these kinds of things happen constantly.

    5: Stop balancing the game around the lowest skill level and reimplement skill gating mechanics. Old ruin was strong, but it made sure survs learned how to hit great skill checks, or skill checks in general. Old nurse while definitely a bit too powerful, at least required survivors to learn how to mind game, which helped with looping more traditional killers as well and juking. Now red ranks are basically a participation award and the one thing the matchmaking is currently based off of is actually completely useless at determining skill level.

    6: Buff a lot of the low tier perks and killers to bring them in line with some of the better perks. This is the only game I've seen where the same stale meta has been in play for 4 years. There are characters in games that are generally always going to be strong, or abilities, but outside of maybe that one, there's usually at least some variance in the meta over the years. Nope, not with DBD, DS/UB/Adren/BT has basically been the standard for 4 years running. Combine that with the fact that whenever something is meta on killer side it gets gutted (ruin, undying, pop just to name a few) you can see why people have finally had enough. Now the only reason M1 killers aside from freddy and the chainsaw bois are pretty much unplayable is because the survivor skill level has dropped so low that I've managed to adept nurse first try, after a 3 month break, and not being a nurse main. I actually felt bad for them, and it was a r4,6,9,12 I was up against to, so it wasn't like a bunch of brand new r20's.

  • 1) Use good dedicated servers (not Amazon cloud servers meant for mobile games)

    2) Remove Iri Head; Huntress hitbox = Slinger hitbox

    3) Turn Kindred effect on if killer stays within 32m of a hooked survivor for longer than 10 seconds or enters and leaves 32m area repeatedly

    4) Remove addons for nurse and spirit


    got some survivor changes too, but those would be first

  • making anti cheat actually work because the game didnt have many cheaters back in the day, and now its not that rare to see them

  • A very aggressive form of Hit Detection and hit validation. I would put the killers latency available to all players before match Start. Then give players to option to display framerate and ping on the HUD.

    My approach to hit validation will be referenced to the server ticks at 0ms and the player with the best ping wins out with dedicated hits but players can see their ping at all times. The killers client no longer calculates the hit. It's completely calculated by the server as is survivor calculated interactions like grabbing in vaults. Therefore killers will adapt by swinging later and survivors will drop pallets earlier if they have higher ping.

    As for swings looking like they miss I'll make max range lunges from Freddy for example speed him up faster than the killers with longer weapons (just the animation - all lunges will be the same length in terms of their slashbox ) So killers like bubba will look the same max range lunge and pig will look faster so you actually see the weapon make contact with your model.

    I would put a ######### end to all those clips that look like the swing should of missed. Then market the game to be an intensive skill based game like for honor by revamping the ranking system with a leaderboard. I would introduce a rank of the 0.1% best players that lobby for long times for high level games. Like challenger in LoL then a bell curve of ranks. There would be a leaderboard of mmr for all killers and an overall for both survivor and killer.

  • @Thanotos_Omega said:

    See if i could copy over the general concept of exhaustion, rename the new one "Second chance" and apply it to DT UB Deliverance and BT, and give it a permanent cool down so you can only use one of those perks per match, then make sure exhaustion addons ect don't effect it, and add the tool tips to the reworked second chance perks

    Nice idea to combat ds+unbreakable. I don't think BT falls under this category you could imagine what will happen once the killer knows BT isn't available anymore. The perk serves it's purpose fair.

1 2 3 ›