Why Do We Run Self-Care?
Dead by Daylight was advertised and marketed as a horror game every step of the way. I find that Self-Care reduces the risk of being injured as I can heal myself should I get away. This makes the killer and the game a whole less scary as my mistakes don't mean nearly as much. So since Self-Care removes the worry, why do we use it? You paid for a horror game, don't you want to be scared?
Comments
Those are pretty rare and I've only had it in ym games a few times where a duo was running No Mither and it was pretty funny. The killer was trying to just slug and they kept making sure they ran in opposite directions until he finally got the hint to hook them both.
I'm a new player and have watched many vids on the game play. I've received a lot of advice in a thread I created that said to level Claudette first for self-care, but to be honest, I'm just not that excited for the perk. I know it's not generally viewed as ideal, but Dwight interested me more due to his teamwork perks. That just seemed to fit the play style I'd hoped to go for, even though I solo-Q. Something that could help my fellow survivors a little.
Now, of course, I am torn. Or, I was before reading some comments in this thread. Maybe I will just focus on Dwight and learn to play my way.
The same is true for BBQ. It's a meta-perk, I get it. But yet, I really don't care for Leatherface. Not from a film franchise perspective (was never into Texas Chainsaw Massacre growing up, and I'm 45 by the way), and not from a gameplay standpoint. I don't know that I really care enough to grind BBQ. Hey, if I don't hit the red ranks, I don't care. I didn't buy DBD to "rank up," but to play a hide-and-seek horror movie themed game. I didn't even know it had ranks until after I bought it.
I'm much more interested in Myers, Amanda, Freddy, and Huntress (once they fix the hatchet issue).
Well not everybody wants to run Deja Vu, Resilience, Left Behind, and This Is Not Happening. I guess 95% of the player population is trash is your eyes seeing how they run the “meta perks”...survivors and killers both included.
Meta survivor perks: Self Care, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, Dead Hard, and Decisive Strike
Meta killer perks: BBQ, Nurse’s Calling, Hex: Ruin, Enduring, and NOED
So you haven’t ever ran any of these perks?
BBQ and WGLF are both necessary for when you are farming points.
Enduring has it's fun uses (like being paired with spirit fury) but you shouldn't be getting hit by pallets that much anyway.
Btw Resilience + This is not Happening + No Mither is a very fun combination.
It's not necessarily bad to run meta perks, but it is boring when everyone is playing the same thing.
i am talking about how when playing solo its a must perk since most other survivors would rather do a gen or hide then heal me and when they do they mess up on skill checks. Comms should of been added from the beginning for everyone. read my post on this if you want but i feel it should be in the game with risk involved
I only use selfcare just in case there are silly survivors who think they can be funny with their heal trolls.
You can use Self-Care all you like, but I will laugh at you from atop my mountain of Emergency Aid Kits. #Pharmacyisthenewmeta
I'll usually just run with a medkit or even a tool box, since bond and empathy help me find peeps to heal me and vice versa.
I've tried not running SC and instead runa medkit, killer brings Franklin's and just tunnels you. If you somehow get away and they find you still injured they know you're easy prey. Then the response from killers is run pharmacy etc and look through a chest.
Well 3 other people often have the same idea, especially if the killer is running Franklins, and then it's well run this perk. Then you respond isn't you very same killers that say you shouldn't have to run a perk to counter what someone else is running?
Then you run into killers who also throw out the less chest offerings with Franklins and now you have 1 chest that's in the map for 4 people. But you should just throw a chest offering out then which leads to why should I have to do x to counter why?
Most of my games are solo q at rank 1 and quite often you can't always depend on your tea mates healing you at that rank since the killers are usually running Nurses Calling. They're also always looking to nail anyone and everyone healing someone.
It's oftentimes it's better to run off to someplace secluded and heal yourself quietly so if a heal check gets missed 2 people don't get put at risk. That way if the killer is in a chase he's only got 1 person to screw with and not 2 with an easy down of you.
Then remove self-care from your load out. I don't understand the point of the post.
My build is Self Care, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, and Empathy on Meg. I run a typical “meta build” on her since she is one of my strongest survivors seeing how I’ve P3 her all the way.
Once I P3 Claudette however I’m gonna try to do a “ninja” type build with Calm Spirit, Iron Will, and either Urban Evasion or Quick and Quiet. I just can’t bring myself to get rid of Self Care especially if I don’t have Bond because I don’t like relying on my teammates when I could be doing something productive like fixing gens.
I live some rounds with meta perks and I die some rounds with meta perks. Killers run their meta perks so why shouldn’t survivors? I just say use the perks you want and don’t be concered about what the other survivors have as perks.
Franklin’s is easily the most annoying killer perk. It isn’t even that it is OP, just annoying from a survivors perspective.
It's not that nobody should use meta perks, because if that were the case, why even have them in the game in the first place? Survivor or killer, it's that people get so caught up on what is the "best" and then they start to believe that certain perks are absolutely necessary to play the game and push that line of thinking onto other people. People should experiment with perk combinations and pick out perks to suit their playstyle and what they personally think is the most fun.
The devs have shown the statistics of the meta perks several times and they are not the ones who have the highest survival rate at all.
So good on you for trying out new things just because they sound cool to you. And in all likelihood, you will perform better with that setup simply because you enjoy it more.
Also about Franklin's: I use Franklin's with trapper and then booby trap the items on the ground. It's hilarious.
I am working up to making an Obsession build for the Spirit to make her have a "spirit of vengeance" motif. It will be Play with Your Food, Rancor, Save the Best For Last and Make Your Choice. It might not be statistically the most viable build, but holy ######### will it be fun to run
If I play on other characters I usually loot boxes to find medkits, but have had it way too often in the past were teammates thought they were funny by blocking me so I get downed, them tapping me instead of giving a full heal and not giving the killer time to reach, or they stop at 99%. At some point I was like ''Screw this, I'll not make myself depend up on my team. So now I use selfcare and help my team more efficient as I can heal myself (if nobody else can because I rather give somebody the altruism points) quickly and then get back to the objective.
Can't really say I play the game anymore to get tension, it just all depends on how I feel like playing, if I do want to feel more tension I run a no mither build, but if I just play a few games to get some extra bloodpoints, I do run Self-Care.