Unpopular opinion: old movies are overrated

Since I'm seeing a lot more of these posts. I figured I'd throw my own out there.

I think old movies are overrated. While I recognize that they got movies where they are today. They have some of the worst dialogue and writing I've seen.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • Idk, 12 angry men is old but the dialogue is great.

  • I do love a lot of the old horror movies from the 70s and 80s only newest horror movie I'm fan of is scream and it old now being 90s movie

  • @chieften333 said:

    Since I'm seeing a lot more of these posts. I figured I'd throw my own out there.

    I think old movies are overrated. While I recognize that they got movies where they are today. They have some of the worst dialogue and writing I've seen.

    Unfortunately the writing and dialogue hasn't exactly improved by much my personal opinion, and this recent decade it's been "what can we remake this year" so originality has been suffering as well.

  • You could have only said Star Wars but here we are

  • Nah. Even so I think they're amazing. I mean, Resident Evil and Silent Hill both have atrocious dialogue and dub, and yet this is one of the reasons I love them hahahahaha.

  • New movies should have better dialogue/writing because they should be learning from their predecessors mistakes. It amazes me when it's a remake with worse writing/dialogue than the original. 😂

  • @bm33 said:

    New movies should have better dialogue/writing because they should be learning from their predecessors mistakes. It amazes me when it's a remake with worse writing/dialogue than the original. 😂

    Or one remade except with an all female cast. Those are usually the worst.

  • @JinSime said:

    Nah. Even so I think they're amazing. I mean, Resident Evil and Silent Hill both have atrocious dialogue and dub, and yet this is one of the reasons I love them hahahahaha.

    To be fair, wasn't the stilted dialogue and acting in Silent Hill 2 on purpose? The story was told less in what was being said and more how it was said. James sounded clumsy and fake because his entire quest was a self-induced delusion. Angela sounded childish and scared because she was never allowed to grow mentally. That sort of thing.

  • I mean, not really, but I can respect your opinion. How old are we talkin' here? The Shining is nearly 4 decades old at this point, and that film is a masterpiece.

    Citizen Kane is a fantastic character study, ans I think Halloween is genuinely more scary than most modern horror cinema, and both of those are much older than The Shining.

    I like movies, sue me.

  • @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1758565#Comment_1758565

    To be fair, wasn't the stilted dialogue and acting in Silent Hill 2 on purpose? The story was told less in what was being said and more how it was said. James sounded clumsy and fake because his entire quest was a self-induced delusion. Angela sounded childish and scared because she was never allowed to grow mentally. That sort of thing.

    It was also supposed to invoke the Uncanny Valley, at least from what I understand.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    I mean, not really, but I can respect your opinion. How old are we talkin' here? The Shining is nearly 4 decades old at this point, and that film is a masterpiece.

    Citizen Kane is a fantastic character study, ans I think Halloween is genuinely more scary than most modern horror cinema, and both of those are much older than The Shining.

    I like movies, sue me.

    Mainly referring to the classic slasher movies.

  • You're an old movie~

  • Lots of mid-90s & onwards movies hold up by today's standards, because the dialogue sounds realistic. Things pre-dating that though are often overexaggerated or awkward. Not all of course, but especially 70's & back movies are more about an experience that's not as easily relatable, but can be entertaining none the less.

    Anyway, when it comes to the horror genre and DBD, it's all about feeding the nostalgia people feel for these movies. They hit me real good with Silent Hill (albeit because of the games, not so much the movies), and I'm still surprised that even happened.

  • Then in the case of some, yeah. Nightmare on Elm Street is very well written in my opinion, along with Halloween, but I've never been a huge fan of F13, or Child's Play. I hold to my opinion that The Shining is a masterpiece though.

  • @chieften333 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1758568#Comment_1758568

    Or one remade except with an all female cast. Those are usually the worst.

    Most remakes that happen that change the cast to be a specific demographic tend to be terrible. Vice Versa or Like Father Like Son - just didn't work as well as the original Freaky Friday.

  • not many new movies going to be as good as some old ones some new movies now a day are just crappy remakes or reboots of old movies they can't come up with new ideas.

  • @TheButcher said:

    You're an old movie~

    You think that affects me? I've hated myself for years now.

  • I think it depends on the movie personally...I think some of the movies we have now have pretty awful dialogue etc same as with older movies - some great, some pretty poor.

  • Jaws... The Exorcist... even films like Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Good Will Hunting are over 25 years old and are laced with some of the best dialogue throughout.

    As far as slashers are concerned, it’s not really certain any slasher films have masterful scripts; they’re not notorious for their dialogue, never were, probably won’t ever be.

  • @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1758565#Comment_1758565

    To be fair, wasn't the stilted dialogue and acting in Silent Hill 2 on purpose? The story was told less in what was being said and more how it was said. James sounded clumsy and fake because his entire quest was a self-induced delusion. Angela sounded childish and scared because she was never allowed to grow mentally. That sort of thing.

    It really adds up to the context. I can't if it was on purpose on SH2, but it was like that from 1 to 4 at least, and it fits better than the newer dub they made, in my opinion.

  • Sturgeons Law.

    And while we're on the topic: writing? Define what you mean. Character dialogue or how scenes and the plot flows?