Killer on console is nearly unplayable due to the limitations of a controller

I’m not a super good killer by any means, I’m only a green rank and I play on console so my experience is drastically different than a red rank on pc, but playing as a console killer is next to impossible due to the limitations of a controller, especially with the cross-platform system consistently matching me up against survivors on pc. Using a controller makes it harder to chase and hit survivors and causes you to eat up valuable time that could end up losing you the game, especially in game-deciding scenarios. Not to mention killers like huntress and deathslinger are so much worse when using a controller due to the lack of an aim assist (not saying that there should be aim assist for ranged killers because that would hellish to deal with). I’m honestly surprised that bhvr hasn’t already added mouse and keyboard support for console, it would make the game so much easier for console killers and it would kill off any problems caused by using a controller.

Comments

  • @Komodo16 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1735178#Comment_1735178

    Thats not an accurate comparison. And if I have a smooth framerate it doedoeSnt matter because ANALOGS DONT HAVE THE SAME PRECISION!!! Do you understand yet? I am ONLY talking about huntress right now. Who needs good frames to get kills I do fine as a console player, and frames never screwed me over as huntress. Although my limited sensitivity and control of aim has.

    "also the fps does not decide how much accuracy "

    You brought up the discussion of FPS not affecting accuracy, not me.

    The sensitivity on Console is the same as PC as of a few patches ago. The only thing we don't have is the ability to flick. Not super useful on Huntress, just makes for cool clips, but it's vital on Killer's like Oni.

  • @Ramxenoc445 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1733901#Comment_1733901

    They did an optimization patch before at least once. The thing is they don't optimize enough for new or future content. If you can just get one of the newer consoles and it SHOULD be better.. Hopefully for the sake of the console players. I stopped playing there a year ago and have never looked back. My PS pro Li's a glorified video streaming machine for when I'm in bed now

    The base Xbox One and PS4 run CoD: MW at 45 FPS consistently.

    DBD looks nothing like MW, there is zero reason DBD on Console can't hit a STABLE 30 FPS.

  • @NinjaGodX said:

    You can just plug in your mouse and keyboard. That works too

    Not unless you're a ximmer, or using some combo of remote play on pc with a controller emulator

  • I disagree, controller has nothing to do with that, the only killers that get limited because of controller is nurse, blight and huntress.

    The main issue with console is massive fps drops and that was enough for me to change to pc.

  • @anprimgang1978 said:

    I’m not a super good killer by any means, I’m only a green rank and I play on console so my experience is drastically different than a red rank on pc, but playing as a console killer is next to impossible due to the limitations of a controller, especially with the cross-platform system consistently matching me up against survivors on pc. Using a controller makes it harder to chase and hit survivors and causes you to eat up valuable time that could end up losing you the game, especially in game-deciding scenarios. Not to mention killers like huntress and deathslinger are so much worse when using a controller due to the lack of an aim assist (not saying that there should be aim assist for ranged killers because that would hellish to deal with). I’m honestly surprised that bhvr hasn’t already added mouse and keyboard support for console, it would make the game so much easier for console killers and it would kill off any problems caused by using a controller.

    Hate to be that guy cause they're normally gross butttt, ur gonna have to get good, I'm a red rank console bubba player, 0 issues with controller. Maybe turn ur sensitivity up if ur having issues? Dunno

  • I got R1 killer every reset on Xbox and still do with X play turned on. Just practice.

  • I don't know about you guys, but I'm a console player in brown ranks because I don't play 24/7 and I'm pretty good as Wraith and Legion.

  • @AChaoticKiller said:

    hi red rank killer with 7.5k kills on xbox here!

    Killer is VERY playable on console its the fps that makes it ridiculous sometimes, if there was any killer that isn't good for console i would just say blight mainly because fps can be low in a rush sometimes.

    even ranged killers and nurse is playable you just have to get good. I will say that if you want to play killer seriously than having your sensitivity as high as you can take is required to deal with jukes.

    Red rank killer on mobile. Players can 360 relentlessly as you can’t swing and look around at the same time. Best way to avoid getting 360d? Back up. Then they just end up dancing in front of you.

  • Picture this: You're a 115% killer and you feel like you're running through mud. That's the console framerate issue.

    It makes killers catch up to you faster, and gives survivors and extra 3 or 4 loops around that stupid ######### car when you've been going in a straight line with no tricks.

  • i disagree. i play on both pc and ps4 and i prefer the controller over mouse and keyboard. i actually use a ps4 controller when i'm playing on pc because it's just what i prefer. i haven't noticed any "limitations" when playing on a controller. i have noticed that the game doesn't play as well on console but that's something that the devs are aware of and i'm sure are trying to work on. if your games are THAT much worse when you play on console then maybe just stick to pc until frame rates are fixed on consoles ?

  • @MommyDeRose said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1733901#Comment_1733901

    Frames are 100000000% the reason why console sucks for this game. I can’t dead hard as a survivor without getting my teeth pumped by lag, then I dash a quarter of a full dead hard. And half the time it gives me exhaustion but no invulnerability and I go down. As a killer I wish bloodlust wasn’t real cause whenever it activates I get a huge lag spike, survivors dead Harding causes a spike, gens getting finished, survivors using sprint burst. This wasn’t at all an issue 8-12 months ago, but now there are massive lag spikes constantly? Like I don’t understand why it’s now becoming a problem

    the frames are not the problem for me. My game doesn’t freeze when someone uses dead hard or the graphics on some map terrible. I am a rank 1 all-around killer main and I have no problems with console. Maybe your internet is just bad.

  • @Pulsar said:

    Disagree.

    The problem is not the controller's, but rather the FPS.

    People have ZERO problem being amazing at CoD or Battlefield on Console. The issue is that they are simply given less time to react to new information.

    When my game literally freezes when someone uses Dead Hard, even if I predict the Dead Hard, I cannot capitalize on what was a good read because the game is poorly optimized on Console.

    I am sympathetic to the Devs plight, many things to do and not enough time to do them, but it is really discouraging and disheartening to see that Console's haven't really gotten that much love, even though it was promised years ago.

    Trust me, Dead hard and status effects like Sloppy lag out PC players too.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1735336#Comment_1735336

    The base Xbox One and PS4 run CoD: MW at 45 FPS consistently.

    DBD looks nothing like MW, there is zero reason DBD on Console can't hit a STABLE 30 FPS.

    The March 2019 dev update and roadmap outlined a detailed plan to get consoles and low end PCs running at 60fps, but it’s not talked about now nearly 2 years later and we still can’t even get stable 30fps.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/49456/optimization-status-update-road-to-60fps

  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1735452#Comment_1735452

    The March 2019 dev update and roadmap outlined a detailed plan to get consoles and low end PCs running at 60fps, but it’s not talked about now nearly 2 years later and we still can’t even get stable 30fps.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/49456/optimization-status-update-road-to-60fps

    This. No one in console wants to hear "we're aware and addressing it" and the like for YEARS. And no one wants to hear "welp the next gen consoles are so close & maybe they will..." either.

    Together these very much feel like a PS4 and an Xbox1 are being forotten and left behind , intentionally or not.

  • Unless you play Huntress, Deathslinger and Nurse all the time, you're just bad at the game and blame the controller

  • well im a rank 1 xbox player (day one xbox 500gb) and i have been a rank 1 killer since pretty much the release of the game, the controller barely makes a difference and a mouse only slightly helps with aiming and fast sensitivity however PC players also get way better frames, Filters, graphic settings and some even stretch their screens. While most pc players only use a filter its still a huge boost in advantage to seeing scratch marks, red stain etc. but killer is the weaker side in general at high level play but i promise you the controller isnt holding you back, it could be many things from the killer,perks,knowledge,playstyle as well but i will say theres an issue with crossplay connection and frames for any console user.

  • I disagree.

    The two biggest problems for console players are performance and control options.

    The game can BARELY run at a stable 30 FPS, and usually dips or drops completely when certain things happen in the game. Using your power as a lot of killers causes frame drops. Getting a hit through Sloppy or a survivor opening a chest causes frame drops for the entire lobby. Heck even bloodlust and Adren cause massive frame drops with their notifications. This makes killer so inconsistent it's virtually unplayable at times. I have to regularly reset my game every 3-4 trials as killer (and maybe 8 or so as survivor) to fix this stuff for a short time.

    Also the lack of any real control options hurt the game on console. Where is aim acceleration? Dead zones? Separate X and Y sensitivity options? Axial deadzone? And ######### WHY IS EVERY MENU USING A CURSOR ON XBOX?!? I have a ######### dpad you know, it makes menus a breeze. Sorry but I can't stand when any game uses this garbage menu system for a console game. Just proves how little console players matter to developers when they rather give us this trash pseudo-mouse bull ######### instead of actually understanding how a person with a controller plays a video game.

    I have an Elite v2, I can make some of these adjustments on my controller but this ######### needs to be in the game. It would make a huge difference for killers to have all these options.

    But having played a lot of FPS on Xbox, some where I turn off aim assist if the game let's me, I could say for sure that if given more control options my aim with Huntress and Nurse would be near perfect. I have great aim in all these other games that give me these options, but in DBD it's a struggle when the game literally fights you on all these different fronts.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1735336#Comment_1735336

    The base Xbox One and PS4 run CoD: MW at 45 FPS consistently.

    DBD looks nothing like MW, there is zero reason DBD on Console can't hit a STABLE 30 FPS.

    While I agree with you fully for a while I gave them the benefit of the doubt. They made mobile games until this game. Even then it was in a really poor state on release but they've gotten better as time went on. Eventually I'm sure console FPS will be good but trust me I feel you. Even on PC I can run destiny 2 full screen 4k and get 100+fps on an ultra wide but dbd can't even hit 30 if I do that. So I have to play on my old 1080p monitor or play windowed for it to hit 60FPS. They just aren't very good at optimization.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1735224#Comment_1735224

    "also the fps does not decide how much accuracy "

    You brought up the discussion of FPS not affecting accuracy, not me.

    The sensitivity on Console is the same as PC as of a few patches ago. The only thing we don't have is the ability to flick. Not super useful on Huntress, just makes for cool clips, but it's vital on Killer's like Oni.

    No we dont have the same sensitivity. Have you seen how killers spin vs console

  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1735452#Comment_1735452

    The March 2019 dev update and roadmap outlined a detailed plan to get consoles and low end PCs running at 60fps, but it’s not talked about now nearly 2 years later and we still can’t even get stable 30fps.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/49456/optimization-status-update-road-to-60fps

    I am aware, which is why I spoke briefly about it in my original comment.

  • @Komodo16 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1735450#Comment_1735450

    No we dont have the same sensitivity. Have you seen how killers spin vs console

    Yes, I have. I can turn my camera at the same standard rate as a PC.

    The issue is that a mouse can flick and analog sticks cannot.

    The sensitivity is the same, but the ability of the input device is not.

  • @SunderMun said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1733901#Comment_1733901

    Trust me, Dead hard and status effects like Sloppy lag out PC players too.

    I have seen that they do, but on Console, it will legitimately freeze your game for a few frames.

  • I mean i would understand if you said survivors on console with cross play enabled are a bit harder since the average killer on pc is better imo than console due to mouse, but killers on console with cross play should not see that much difference, again imo..you are mixing cross play and controller in one formula (for killers) which are completely separate thing

    Please correct me if i am wrong because i never played dbd on console

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1736108#Comment_1736108

    Yes, I have. I can turn my camera at the same standard rate as a PC.

    The issue is that a mouse can flick and analog sticks cannot.

    The sensitivity is the same, but the ability of the input device is not.

    And even so, if what you say is true then the capabilities of a huntress on console are still limited

  • I wouldn't blame the controller. Mouse is good for looking around but controller is better for movement.

  • I personally don’t have a issue playing killer ps4 controller

  • I've been playing on PC with a controller for my entire 3,300 hours and, aside from ranged killers like you pointed out, I see no problem with playing killer. Like others have said, it could be the console frame rate that is screwing you over.

  • I would say try survivor for a bit. Change it up, maybe you are just tired. Or play something else for a week.

  • When I play killer I don’t feel at a disadvantage at all when playing against a PC survivor as opposed to a console survivor. I play on PS4. As others have stated the main issue when it comes to consoles is FPS as often I find I just outright lose survivors after hitting them cuz the frames just go so low.

  • Disagree. Check out Big Brain Oni Main on YouTube. Extremely good Oni and Deathslinger player, who happens to play on XBox.

1 2 ›