Devs deserve some credit

We all know dbd can be a crap show to say the least. Swf can be insanely string or just stressful. Solo sucks so bad because the ranking and matchmaking is trash. Killer is stressful and boring since you have to play the stronger killers to not have the gens done so quick, unless you have a great build or are a great killer in general. The events recently have just been crap in terms of items and not appearing. I spent a million bp and only got 3 medkit and 1 flashlight. The bugs are insane and the perk changes are dumb at some points.

But lets look at the good, they fixed hook bugs and ds bugs which people hated and the hill bug. These were all game breaking bugs and they buffed certain perks and nerfed PH get hit or get hit BS. They gave us new add ons and offerings which people wanted for a while, yet people then complain abouy how we didn't get a health chapter and we get useless things. They are looking into keys and moris and probably even DS. They reworked maps like people wanted added ways to end infinite. Which if you complain about walls thats kind of dumb, survivors have to do anything to live and killers anything to kill, why should you get to have easy loops right from the get go? All it take is one dang wall break and now that survivor cant abuse it. Like one wall isn't going to cost the dang game.

Anyways my point in all this is yeah, they've screwed up ALOT and they did some good amd some things wete REALLY good and neat. But you guys forget that devs arent robots and thats so ignorant of the dev bashers. Critsizing is ok when its constructuve but when you cant get your head out of your rear and see the good, you shouldnt talk. They are HUMANS and guess what humans have FEELINGS and AGENDAS maybe they had things planned and then bugs came and they have to adress it. NONE of you know why they are taking the routes that they are and are just assuming the worst. This game has advanced SO well compared to what it used to be. The veteran players would agree that bloodlust is good and entity blockers. Also these devs and mods may even have the same view as you, but need to work on the game as per their job so they cant just be selfish and do what only they want

To finish this off I know damn well many of you are teens and have been teens. And parents like to put pressure on their kids to be perfect which is unfair and the kids ends up with issues or performs worse or does better. You guys are the equivalent of those crap parents, how would you feel if every thing you did wasnt good enough and you panic or feel like crap for it. This is MY opinion but I think the bad choices reflect their community, constant dev bashing and arguing amongst ourselves and they see it and dont know how to make you happy. They do one thing no matter what and there will be back lash. They could literally rework legion to perfection and there would be some backlash. Quit acting like any of you actually know whats going on. They're trying even if it doesn't seem that way sometimes, hell the mods literally try and be sympathetic and we are lucky to have great mods who are understanding. Also unless you guys know how to develop a game you cant understand the complexities behind it

TLDR: Devs are human and make mistakes and fall to pressure from consumers. Therefore they will never be perfect but the game is actually moving in a good direction from where it was

Comments

  • I'm not saying you did anything bad just don't get into is what I mean. I got banned for calling someone ignorant which I didn't even realize was bad and then someone personally attacked me for my view in an unrelated post and I said shut up and was threatened with a permanent ban

  • Dude level with me, giving them credit isn't gonna get anything done. If we keep telling them what they do well instead of what they do poorly, it'll just get to a point where they get complacent because it'll seem like the people bringing up the bad is just a very vocal minority, and that's what kills games.

  • @BigTimeGamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698575#Comment_1698575

    Idk how new you are, but here’s a few things off the top of my head:

    • Constantly pushing for the Rift to be a thing while making the grind unnecessarily long.
    • Hosting a Cosmetic competition and then halfassing the winner’s design.
    • This entire “event” despite the event 2 years ago being better in every conceivable way.
    • Selling cosmetics as full linked sets to get more money.
    • Tieing the event to the rift so you can only use the cankers 3 times for only 4k BP.
    • Sounds bugs galore.
    • Changing Discordance out of nowhere with no prior testing in the PTB instead of the laundry list of actual issues.
    • Continued push for breakable walls despite complaints, they even READDED THE GOD WINDOW ON MACMIILIAN.

    I could go on but this is a company that has burned up any goodwill they have earned

    I agree it has been a crap show lately. But I can still see the effort even if people dont. Also rift isnt that hard if you play the game constantly. I dont like the money aspect of it though I hate that. Also I have 1000 hours and started last august. I don't know much about the previous years except from what ive seen and heard from multiple sources. Then again I doubt people would lie about no blood lust amd double pallets

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698552#Comment_1698552

    1. This is moving the goal posts. This game was what it was at release. You can't go back in time and make this game a masterpiece at launch so that the current state looks bad in comparison. You have to compare what the game was to what it is.
    2. The reason why companies like Google roll out their software is because sometimes, especially for bugs that are more rare, it is simply so unlikely that you'll trigger it internally that you need to see how it performs in the wild. That's one of the reasons why the PTB exists. Rather than just testing internally, Behaviour is able to get their changes in front of a much larger group of testers and weed out some of these bugs that only occur on certain maps, with certain killers, running certain perks, on certain hardware, for example. There is not a chance they push code out the door without testing it.
    3. Do you seriously believe that an appreciable percentage of people on this forum know enough about video game development and the state of this game's code base to actually be able to intelligently comment on Behaviour's development quality, prioritization, etc.? Do you seriously believe that an appreciable percentage of people on this forum know enough about business and enough about Behaviour specifically to comment on whether they should be making different business decisions? Very few people are going to check either box, and those that do would demonstrate that in their posts rather than just whining because a bug got added or their pet issue didn't get addressed.
    1. No, it's not. People tend to exaggerate the amount of things they've done to help the game versus the amount of things they've done to break it simply because it was broken at launch. In fact, without the community's constant criticism of stupid ideas they love to put out, the game would've died at the broken lunar event (insta-flashlights and insta-dropping survivors on a pallet). They made these changes because they didn't bother to think about Game Design, and anyone with a single neuron that remembers Game Design would know that a lot of the changes they've made were out of ignorance.
    2. That's not an excuse for extreme bugs. Have play testers, and actually USE the PTB. Most of the things that break this game get through the PTB due to ignorance of criticism, or just are rolled without any PTB in the first place. As an example: If you think they touched a console before playing the game on the current patch while not even knowing the FPS issues were there in the first place (they had to add the announcement), you need to rethink how you view this company's competence.
    3. Irrelevant. No matter what your opinion is, or what mine is (which I agree with you), you don't assume that someone doesn't know a thing about game development when they make a complaint on the forums.
  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698616#Comment_1698616

    he is the single developer of unturned who could do much more than what the entire team of dbd does when comparing gameplay and technical updates

    Can you elaborate on the game and his background. No doubt it's a big achievement and I in no way think the devs are the best devs as I stated

  • @Bravo0413 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698525#Comment_1698525

    I Understand perfectly what you're saying... ive given credit where credit is do... the flood gates need left open this time.... I'll provide them with a thank you when they touch up the game again.

    Well I agree with you in that respect and I fully respect that stance

  • @HypsterMoses said:

    Dude level with me, giving them credit isn't gonna get anything done. If we keep telling them what they do well instead of what they do poorly, it'll just get to a point where they get complacent because it'll seem like the people bringing up the bad is just a very vocal minority, and that's what kills games.

    I dont mean you need to suck up to them but at least admit they aren't the devil like people make them out to be

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698636#Comment_1698636

    Yeah, I mean whatever the reason, it's still a fair point. People aren't likely to change their minds unless you're relaxed when you're talking to them, even if they know their point isn't very strong. And there's certainly more than enough high-tension comments on the forum anyway.

    Yeah thats true just look at my posts

  • BHVR has shown that they're not a company that deserves any "credit". Defending BHVR is not a hill I'd be willing to die on.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698652#Comment_1698652

    1. ~36 new characters including licensed characters from major horror franchises, new engine and improved visuals, rift / archives, massively improved balance, console releases, crossplay, dedicated servers, SWF (people love to hate it, but this game might be dead without it), etc. Community feedback is important, but please give credit where credit is due.
    2. I'm sure they did play the game on console before releasing the patch. Not everyone is running into the performance issues, though, and they have to weigh performance issues for some people against "sorry, we're cancelling the event due to poor performance". You can bet people would have been on them for that too.
    3. I'm talking about the collective, not the individual. I'm not saying that the person who made any one post definitely doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm saying that many, many people are complaining and most of those complaints betray no such knowledge. On the whole, then, most of the noise is almost certainly coming from people who don't know enough to comment on how well Behaviour is doing its job.
    1. Those changes (rather than the content updates) are all things that they've done in the past, yet they hardly do anything to improve upon it once they've released unless there's outcry. I give credit to devs that deserve it, and they don't deserve credit for balancing the game. The community does.
    2. Not everyone? Most, if not all, people are experiencing these issues. If they weren't, they wouldn't have so many people complaining about it. The people not having issues are the lucky minority.
    3. That's fair.
  • @Komodo16 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698566#Comment_1698566

    Dude how many of you guys just REFUSE to READ A DANG POST bewilders me. I LITERALLY SAID THEY HAVE NOT BEEN THE BEST. My whole point was that they have not gotten almost ANY credit for their achievements and they DEFINITELY don't have a community that understands the human brain nor reactions to pressure. Dude i swear people don't care for discussion. "They deserve credit" but they did this they did that. Which Totally gets rid of all the points I made. That is not how a discussion works.

    I've defended them a ton, even when they've made huge mistakes, over and over. But right now the game is unplayable as solo survivor or as a PS4 player, and killer is boring because of the matchmaking giving red rank killers easy games.


    I don't think I need to say what's wrong with the rift, since it seems it's going to be as grindy as Tome IV (they seemed to have learnt from the challenges, though) with the number of fragments we're getting per challenge.


    I loved a lot of the changes that came with this patch, including a lot of the skins, but it became unplayable, so what's the point in new skins that you have to pay for?

    We can give them credit when the game works as intended, because right now it looks like they put profit before game health.

  • I've been playing for almost 4 years and feel this game has improved tenfold. Can it be better, absolutely. Will they continue to improve it, yes. However, they have to work with the player base and unfortunately that's not going to make everyone happy.

    Developing a game like this is not a simple task. BHVR has to take into consideration player skill levels or lack thereof and strike a balance that works for everyone. When Freddy first released, I was perfectly fine with his design. But most weren't. BHVR listened to community and made him more accessible for a wider audience. This happens with a lot of MP games when they first release. Developers have to adjust difficulty to accommodate lower skilled players.

    Which sucks because instead of working to get better at the game, people tend to complain about designs that simply don't fit their play style and want it changed so it does. Which can hurt a player who could have benefited from a new killer that worked better for them.

    Video games are competitive business and the fact that DBD has no rival after all these years says a lot about the state of the game and their dedication to improve it.

  • @Komodo16 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698582#Comment_1698582

    Trust me I agree but they dont let us know everything for all we know the next chapter DS could be fixed or other changes. They cant change every thing at once because it requires testing through PTB and they have to do it in increments

    They can try to skip a chapter. I haven't spent any money on DbD since the last rift because I'm not playing the game as much. It might help in the long run instead of increments... but I guess investors wouldn't want that?

  • I used to give the dev's praise and defend them but not anymore. This new update has really shown bhvr's true colors and I can't give them any credit anymore.

  • @Pawcelot said:

    BHVR has shown that they're not a company that deserves any "credit". Defending BHVR is not a hill I'd be willing to die on.

    If you reas my responses and my post you can see that im only slightly defending them. I still feel the same as others but I refuse to demonize them

  • @SunderMun said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698594#Comment_1698594

    I've defended them a ton, even when they've made huge mistakes, over and over. But right now the game is unplayable as solo survivor or as a PS4 player, and killer is boring because of the matchmaking giving red rank killers easy games.

    I don't think I need to say what's wrong with the rift, since it seems it's going to be as grindy as Tome IV (they seemed to have learnt from the challenges, though) with the number of fragments we're getting per challenge.

    I loved a lot of the changes that came with this patch, including a lot of the skins, but it became unplayable, so what's the point in new skins that you have to pay for?

    We can give them credit when the game works as intended, because right now it looks like they put profit before game health.

    I just played on ps4 last night and it was fine. The issues are relative to peoples console and wifi for half of it and the other half is just bad optimization

  • @MPGamer18 said:

    I've been playing for almost 4 years and feel this game has improved tenfold. Can it be better, absolutely. Will they continue to improve it, yes. However, they have to work with the player base and unfortunately that's not going to make everyone happy.

    Developing a game like this is not a simple task. BHVR has to take into consideration player skill levels or lack thereof and strike a balance that works for everyone. When Freddy first released, I was perfectly fine with his design. But most weren't. BHVR listened to community and made him more accessible for a wider audience. This happens with a lot of MP games when they first release. Developers have to adjust difficulty to accommodate lower skilled players.

    Which sucks because instead of working to get better at the game, people tend to complain about designs that simply don't fit their play style and want it changed so it does. Which can hurt a player who could have benefited from a new killer that worked better for them.

    Video games are competitive business and the fact that DBD has no rival after all these years says a lot about the state of the game and their dedication to improve it.

    People also fail to realize they deal with so much pressure no matter what they do they get ######### and that takes a toll on productivity

  • @HelterSeltzer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698610#Comment_1698610

    They can try to skip a chapter. I haven't spent any money on DbD since the last rift because I'm not playing the game as much. It might help in the long run instead of increments... but I guess investors wouldn't want that?

    I feel they might secretly be working on that. There is no way they dont know about the issues and they probably are trying to figurw it out. It will be hard to fix this game

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698657#Comment_1698657

    I dont know about his background, all i am giving is an example of one man making more progress on a free game than a millionaire company could on a paid game. and unturned is not some dead indie game that was never successful; since 2014 it still has ten thousands of players.

    Hmmm I do agree that they need to rethink their approach but now they have to find out what to do. Also this map change is a BIG improvement and then the graphics still need to be updated I believe right? If so a total game changer could be in the works

  • @Mikeasaurus said:

    I'm sorry, but are you seriously trying to defend the devs over the current train wreck the game is becoming? I respect your opinion, I do, but please stop white knighting for them. This game has been out for 4 years. If it was the first few months, and the devs were fairly new at developing the game, then I'd give them a pass for the issues. But no. It's 4 years. If they seriously can't code a single patch to not break everything in the game at this point, theres something seriously wrong. There's supposed to be a QA department, yet they must be sleeping during work hours because the current state of the game shows they tested little. PS4 currently has the most broken FPS right now. Then side this along with the fact sounds are yet again, broken, the game loads in with a killer standing in a weird broken pose. The 'event' is basically another day where we have to spend money. So, yes, mistakes can be made, but 4 years worth? No. I don't think so.

    Took them months to fix things they broke and they've screwed killers over. Not giving them credit for that.

  • @BigTimeGamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698575#Comment_1698575

    Idk how new you are, but here’s a few things off the top of my head:

    • Constantly pushing for the Rift to be a thing while making the grind unnecessarily long.
    • Hosting a Cosmetic competition and then halfassing the winner’s design.
    • This entire “event” despite the event 2 years ago being better in every conceivable way.
    • Selling cosmetics as full linked sets to get more money.
    • Tieing the event to the rift so you can only use the cankers 3 times for only 4k BP.
    • Sounds bugs galore.
    • Changing Discordance out of nowhere with no prior testing in the PTB instead of the laundry list of actual issues.
    • Continued push for breakable walls despite complaints, they even READDED THE GOD WINDOW ON MACMIILIAN.

    I could go on but this is a company that has burned up any goodwill they have earned

    Jesus ######### christ. This a thousand times

  • @Komodo16 said:

    We all know dbd can be a crap show to say the least. Swf can be insanely string or just stressful. Solo sucks so bad because the ranking and matchmaking is trash. Killer is stressful and boring since you have to play the stronger killers to not have the gens done so quick, unless you have a great build or are a great killer in general. The events recently have just been crap in terms of items and not appearing. I spent a million bp and only got 3 medkit and 1 flashlight. The bugs are insane and the perk changes are dumb at some points.

    But lets look at the good, they fixed hook bugs and ds bugs which people hated and the hill bug. These were all game breaking bugs and they buffed certain perks and nerfed PH get hit or get hit BS. They gave us new add ons and offerings which people wanted for a while, yet people then complain abouy how we didn't get a health chapter and we get useless things. They are looking into keys and moris and probably even DS. They reworked maps like people wanted added ways to end infinite. Which if you complain about walls thats kind of dumb, survivors have to do anything to live and killers anything to kill, why should you get to have easy loops right from the get go? All it take is one dang wall break and now that survivor cant abuse it. Like one wall isn't going to cost the dang game.

    Anyways my point in all this is yeah, they've screwed up ALOT and they did some good amd some things wete REALLY good and neat. But you guys forget that devs arent robots and thats so ignorant of the dev bashers. Critsizing is ok when its constructuve but when you cant get your head out of your rear and see the good, you shouldnt talk. They are HUMANS and guess what humans have FEELINGS and AGENDAS maybe they had things planned and then bugs came and they have to adress it. NONE of you know why they are taking the routes that they are and are just assuming the worst. This game has advanced SO well compared to what it used to be. The veteran players would agree that bloodlust is good and entity blockers. Also these devs and mods may even have the same view as you, but need to work on the game as per their job so they cant just be selfish and do what only they want

    To finish this off I know damn well many of you are teens and have been teens. And parents like to put pressure on their kids to be perfect which is unfair and the kids ends up with issues or performs worse or does better. You guys are the equivalent of those crap parents, how would you feel if every thing you did wasnt good enough and you panic or feel like crap for it. This is MY opinion but I think the bad choices reflect their community, constant dev bashing and arguing amongst ourselves and they see it and dont know how to make you happy. They do one thing no matter what and there will be back lash. They could literally rework legion to perfection and there would be some backlash. Quit acting like any of you actually know whats going on. They're trying even if it doesn't seem that way sometimes, hell the mods literally try and be sympathetic and we are lucky to have great mods who are understanding. Also unless you guys know how to develop a game you cant understand the complexities behind it

    TLDR: Devs are human and make mistakes and fall to pressure from consumers. Therefore they will never be perfect but the game is actually moving in a good direction from where it was

    No they dont not at all. Console sucks, killers still have gross gen speeds stopping them from getting pressures survivor is boring as hell rn, bugs every patch, cant fix bugs consistently. The devs will deserve credit when they get their ######### together.

  • I think paying for the game is credit enough

  • @Komodo16 said:

    We all know dbd can be a crap show to say the least. Swf can be insanely string or just stressful. Solo sucks so bad because the ranking and matchmaking is trash. Killer is stressful and boring since you have to play the stronger killers to not have the gens done so quick, unless you have a great build or are a great killer in general. The events recently have just been crap in terms of items and not appearing. I spent a million bp and only got 3 medkit and 1 flashlight. The bugs are insane and the perk changes are dumb at some points.

    But lets look at the good, they fixed hook bugs and ds bugs which people hated and the hill bug. These were all game breaking bugs and they buffed certain perks and nerfed PH get hit or get hit BS. They gave us new add ons and offerings which people wanted for a while, yet people then complain abouy how we didn't get a health chapter and we get useless things. They are looking into keys and moris and probably even DS. They reworked maps like people wanted added ways to end infinite. Which if you complain about walls thats kind of dumb, survivors have to do anything to live and killers anything to kill, why should you get to have easy loops right from the get go? All it take is one dang wall break and now that survivor cant abuse it. Like one wall isn't going to cost the dang game.

    Anyways my point in all this is yeah, they've screwed up ALOT and they did some good amd some things wete REALLY good and neat. But you guys forget that devs arent robots and thats so ignorant of the dev bashers. Critsizing is ok when its constructuve but when you cant get your head out of your rear and see the good, you shouldnt talk. They are HUMANS and guess what humans have FEELINGS and AGENDAS maybe they had things planned and then bugs came and they have to adress it. NONE of you know why they are taking the routes that they are and are just assuming the worst. This game has advanced SO well compared to what it used to be. The veteran players would agree that bloodlust is good and entity blockers. Also these devs and mods may even have the same view as you, but need to work on the game as per their job so they cant just be selfish and do what only they want

    To finish this off I know damn well many of you are teens and have been teens. And parents like to put pressure on their kids to be perfect which is unfair and the kids ends up with issues or performs worse or does better. You guys are the equivalent of those crap parents, how would you feel if every thing you did wasnt good enough and you panic or feel like crap for it. This is MY opinion but I think the bad choices reflect their community, constant dev bashing and arguing amongst ourselves and they see it and dont know how to make you happy. They do one thing no matter what and there will be back lash. They could literally rework legion to perfection and there would be some backlash. Quit acting like any of you actually know whats going on. They're trying even if it doesn't seem that way sometimes, hell the mods literally try and be sympathetic and we are lucky to have great mods who are understanding. Also unless you guys know how to develop a game you cant understand the complexities behind it

    TLDR: Devs are human and make mistakes and fall to pressure from consumers. Therefore they will never be perfect but the game is actually moving in a good direction from where it was

    They dont deserve the credit because don't listen to player feedback, the only feedback they listen is cry baby survivors

  • The first Hallowed Blight event, players were originally only going to be able to earn 1 full outfit. After complaints from the community, they increased it to 2 outfits. Players were happy about that. This year, they decreased it to 0.

    The old events weren't perfect, but I liked them. Especially the pustula plants. The lanterns weren't terrible, but I liked the plants and hooks better than competing for lanterns. The plants have never come back. Events were pretty much replaced by the Rift.

    People were upset that the Rift was so grindy. The devs lessened the grind a tiny bit by adding more Tome challenges, and people were happy for that. Even if it wasn't enough, it was better than nothing. Guess what, since then the grind for the Tomes has been increasing.

    Yes, give them credit where credit is due. Thank them when they do something good. Criticize when they do something that sucks.

    I'm not thrilled about the PS4 framerate drop. Bugs happen, though, and they've acknowledged it and said they're working on it so that's something. However, this event and the charm codes and the Rift, those aren't mistakes or bugs, those are decisions, and players have every right to be furious that those decisions were made.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/200039/devs-deserve-some-credit

    No they dont not at all. Console sucks, killers still have gross gen speeds stopping them from getting pressures survivor is boring as hell rn, bugs every patch, cant fix bugs consistently. The devs will deserve credit when they get their ######### together.

    Sorry but some means some. As I stated above there are things you cant deny and things you have to see that they have done that suck.

  • @thespiritnomore117 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/200039/devs-deserve-some-credit

    They dont deserve the credit because don't listen to player feedback, the only feedback they listen is cry baby survivors

    Ha not even. No more infinites, instaheals, insta blinds, double bt, double pallets, window and pallet vaccum, entity blockers, bloodlust, breakable walls, fixed ds ans hook bug and hill bug. Nerfed thana and buffed the others and reduced timer in pop which isnt that bad. Dead hard still is finicky. Killer side hit validations. Broken hitboxes. Hatch priority. Ability to tunnel and camp and fast gen speeds. Hmmm seems like its either half and half or favorable to killers

  • One year Microsoft emailed me a printable, paper birthday cake that you'd print out and then fold up into the shape of a birthday cake. I thought that was the lamest birthday present I ever got from anyone, ever. Maybe you could create something like that and email it to the dev's? I will sign it. I'm sure everyone would be more than happy to sign it too.

  • @nytkim said:

    I think paying for the game is credit enough

    and stay for how long we have.

  • @Komodo16 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1699359#Comment_1699359

    Sorry but some means some. As I stated above there are things you cant deny and things you have to see that they have done that suck.

    I dont think they deserve any. Amatuer devs who neglect their community.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @youarewronglol said:

    1st off this sounds like dev made this post

    2nd off "they fixed hook bugs and ds bugs which people hated and the hill bug." no game designer should get props for bug fixing, that's like whatevery one kinda expects to happen

    3rd off like every dev white knight post it says something among the line "they promised x" the devs are always saying stuff but everything that comes out these days is so boring

    Yes me a white knight over the fact that I can see them trying and having to deal with a whole community of people where. Nothing is ever good enough and that they have to constantly deal with babies. So thats why im saying people are giving them too much hate

  • This content has been removed.
  • @youarewronglol said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1700348#Comment_1700348

    " Nothing is ever good enough" I know your just like a dev in a mask or whatever but come on man, the event is just some extra bp and charms, not even free outfits, that's so low. What's their to be happy about? they removed ways to get tokens from WGLF, boy am i excited to play now

    No I just am a person who believes in fairness. Also I didnt know we lost ways to earn tokens. And still my main point has never been to say they arent bad. Just that with what they put up with and what they are trying to do they deserve some credit

  • TLTR: Devs deserve credit they do becuz not much teams cant make such disaster.

  • They do get credit, it our money.

  • @RockoRango said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698528#Comment_1698528

    How is someone supposed to magically know you're 17 and don't know much about development? I'm only a year older than you, yet I've been taking classes at both my school and an external college for more than a year that massively increase my understanding about the subject.

    As a software engineer I'm going to tell you right now that what you learn at school/college is nothing like actual development. Little/no colleges teach about how real world engineering is like and you only really start to know once you get a job or internship. That is why imposter syndrome is such a huge huge huge thing in the field.

    Anyways, I'm arguing against your point #2 - we don't know if their code is spaghetti because something changes and breaks. There are so many factors in this.

    DBD is written in presumably C++ because it uses unreal - I'm gonna give a situation I've been in as a dev in c#, which is also an OOP language. Let's say we have a base class - BaseSurvivor that has base mechanics for every survivor and whatever inherits from that class overrides as needed, whatever. Let's say they have a method on there that calls a static helper class that does some business logic, and we had a bug report come in that says 'hey this isn't providing what we are expecting' and we go in and fix it, but in the process we introduced a new bug. The devs and QA team go through it and test it don't find anything wrong. We ship this update out to the customers, and bingo bango we got another bug report come in because this static helper class was also used in another part of the app and had unintended consequences. That's not spaghetti code, that's just the paradigm. One of the biggest things in OOP is reusability of code, if you need to do the same thing twice, you make it reusable.

    Sprints are also not just one thing being worked on, it's multiple things being worked on at once by multiple people. Blaming something broke because they fixed something could be a completely from something else even though to us, the end user, it seems that correlation = causation for the issue.

    In either case, I don't particularly put blame on issues on devs on a few issues (ie this event) because usually things like this are controlled by product team and priorities and initiatives usually come from the business side of things and they are told what to do. This is why it takes forever for things to happen. Remember when they changed auras and had so much backlash? It's not just as simple as a dev or two going in and reverting things, it's an entire process. Product and project managers need meetings, determine if it's a "hotfix" or if it will go out in a regular update, devs need to estimate time/effort on the tickets created, do investigations, it needs PR reviews, it needs to go through some QA (I assume bhvr has some sort of QA, but sometimes I question that).

    I think the biggest issue facing DBD is that the original devs didn't expect this to blow up and it's just had bandaid after bandaid of fixes that can only be solved by rewriting the game from scratch, and that's not a particularly easy initiative to take nor is it profitable for the business side of things to hold off on what could be a multi-year project to approve it. These are usually put in the backlogs as technical debt tickets and sit there forever and taken up randomly in sprints and not at once. Even if any new code is optimized/cleanly written/whatever, it's still on top of the base code that isn't.


    TL;DR blaming devs doesn't do anything when things like the event come from above them and the business side got initiatives to hit, deadlines to meet, blaming devs for spaghetti code for changing something and another thing breaking is ignorant we don't know what their code base looks like nor do we know if it broke because something else was worked on

  • @saetia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698562#Comment_1698562

    As a software engineer I'm going to tell you right now that what you learn at school/college is nothing like actual development. Little/no colleges teach about how real world engineering is like and you only really start to know once you get a job or internship. That is why imposter syndrome is such a huge huge huge thing in the field.

    Anyways, I'm arguing against your point #2 - we don't know if their code is spaghetti because something changes and breaks. There are so many factors in this.

    DBD is written in presumably C++ because it uses unreal - I'm gonna give a situation I've been in as a dev in c#, which is also an OOP language. Let's say we have a base class - BaseSurvivor that has base mechanics for every survivor and whatever inherits from that class overrides as needed, whatever. Let's say they have a method on there that calls a static helper class that does some business logic, and we had a bug report come in that says 'hey this isn't providing what we are expecting' and we go in and fix it, but in the process we introduced a new bug. The devs and QA team go through it and test it don't find anything wrong. We ship this update out to the customers, and bingo bango we got another bug report come in because this static helper class was also used in another part of the app and had unintended consequences. That's not spaghetti code, that's just the paradigm. One of the biggest things in OOP is reusability of code, if you need to do the same thing twice, you make it reusable.

    Sprints are also not just one thing being worked on, it's multiple things being worked on at once by multiple people. Blaming something broke because they fixed something could be a completely from something else even though to us, the end user, it seems that correlation = causation for the issue.

    In either case, I don't particularly put blame on issues on devs on a few issues (ie this event) because usually things like this are controlled by product team and priorities and initiatives usually come from the business side of things and they are told what to do. This is why it takes forever for things to happen. Remember when they changed auras and had so much backlash? It's not just as simple as a dev or two going in and reverting things, it's an entire process. Product and project managers need meetings, determine if it's a "hotfix" or if it will go out in a regular update, devs need to estimate time/effort on the tickets created, do investigations, it needs PR reviews, it needs to go through some QA (I assume bhvr has some sort of QA, but sometimes I question that).

    I think the biggest issue facing DBD is that the original devs didn't expect this to blow up and it's just had bandaid after bandaid of fixes that can only be solved by rewriting the game from scratch, and that's not a particularly easy initiative to take nor is it profitable for the business side of things to hold off on what could be a multi-year project to approve it. These are usually put in the backlogs as technical debt tickets and sit there forever and taken up randomly in sprints and not at once. Even if any new code is optimized/cleanly written/whatever, it's still on top of the base code that isn't.

    TL;DR blaming devs doesn't do anything when things like the event come from above them and the business side got initiatives to hit, deadlines to meet, blaming devs for spaghetti code for changing something and another thing breaking is ignorant we don't know what their code base looks like nor do we know if it broke because something else was worked on

    How could you not call it Spaghetti code when updates break so much stuff, even things in areas where nothing was changed.. like the Spirit now making sounds when phasing?

  • @thepyramidhead said:

    They do get credit, it our money.

    That is a good one

  • @Pawcelot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1704540#Comment_1704540

    How could you not call it Spaghetti code when updates break so much stuff, even things in areas where nothing was changed.. like the Spirit now making sounds when phasing?

    Because he knows the types of coding?

  • You cannot be trying to say that DBD isn't spaghetti code, its a well-known thing lmao

  • Hey OP! I have only been playing for a few months and I've had a lot of fun so far! At the end of the day, dbd is just a game. I hope things get fixed and that some perks get buffed or nerfed, but as long as I have a good time and so do my teammates and even the killer, then I'm alright! Thank you for not expecting too much out of devs, I can't make a game so I respect people that do these things. Stay positive and let's all hope for the best in 2021 and beyond <3!! Good luck in your next matches by the way, and I hope they're fun :)!

  • @BigTimeGamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1704722#Comment_1704722

    You cannot be trying to say that DBD isn't spaghetti code, its a well-known thing lmao

    No I dont know bur if the guy is experienced with that stuff hr would know better

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I don't think in the past two years, they've managed to release an update that hasn't broken the game in a major way.

    I'm sorry, but that doesn't deserve credit. They keep making mistakes that break the game and never learn from them. That's not something to praise or give a pat on the back to.

    Only people I've been able to give credit as of late is the art team, but even then butchering the contest skins has left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths.

    Good point but they have done good and sometimes you have to look at that stuff to be subjective and I do agree with you

  • @BigTimeGamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1704722#Comment_1704722

    You cannot be trying to say that DBD isn't spaghetti code, its a well-known thing lmao

    Have the devs admitted that? Have you seen the code? Has the source code leaked? Am I missing something here? Obviously, I haven't seen it, I don't know what their code base looks like, I'm just arguing you can't say it's spaghetti code unless you've seen it and bugs can happen regardless if it is or isn't.

    @Pawcelot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1704540#Comment_1704540

    How could you not call it Spaghetti code when updates break so much stuff, even things in areas where nothing was changed.. like the Spirit now making sounds when phasing?

    Please reread my example. And again, when developers do stuff it's usually in sprints where multiple things are being worked on, again: that doesn't mean it's spaghetti code that breaks it. If an abstract or base class is used for all killers, and they fix a bug from one killer in that abstract or base class and it affected spirit, that again is because it's spaghetti code. It's literally the paradigm of oop to have code being reused when you can to limit spaghetti code.


    Edit: if I get proven wrong and shwon proof it is spaghetti code, cool, I'm just offering alternative reasons as a dev and I'm giving devs at least a little benefit of the doubt because I work in the field.

  • @saetia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1704740#Comment_1704740

    Have the devs admitted that? Have you seen the code? Has the source code leaked? Am I missing something here? Obviously, I haven't seen it, I don't know what their code base looks like, I'm just arguing you can't say it's spaghetti code unless you've seen it and bugs can happen regardless if it is or isn't.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1704668#Comment_1704668

    Please reread my example. And again, when developers do stuff it's usually in sprints where multiple things are being worked on, again: that doesn't mean it's spaghetti code that breaks it. If an abstract or base class is used for all killers, and they fix a bug from one killer in that abstract or base class and it affected spirit, that again is because it's spaghetti code. It's literally the paradigm of oop to have code being reused when you can to limit spaghetti code.

    Edit: if I get proven wrong and shwon proof it is spaghetti code, cool, I'm just offering alternative reasons as a dev and I'm giving devs at least a little benefit of the doubt because I work in the field.

    As long as they keep providing spaghetti bugs I'll call it spaghetti code.

  • @Komodo16 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1698535#Comment_1698535

    Im not whiteknighting im pointing things out. Also That's dumb, NO ONE needs to celebrate Halloween. And they do have an event for it, even if it isnt as good as other games like COD which make WAYYYYYYYYYYYY more money. Also the game has been moving great the last 2 updates were trash though and game breaking

    Normally you will be right they don't need to celebrate Halloween but the game they have is a horror one so they are forced to to celebrate. Because you see this time of year is the best time to buy the game and yet they do nothing. They don't have an event and only add a second objective that give and do nothing.

    Devs always have done the bare minimum because they have no idea how they game works.

  • Sorry, we're not giving out credit this year. But you can buy premium credit at the Xbob42 Store, 100 credits for $1, but 15,000 credits (bonus 50%!!! BEST VALUE!) are only $100!

  • They do... and we should see what they do next

1 2 ›