Ehm, hello, BHVR, just admit you didn't want to do that for a free skin.

So, I was watching last Q&A section and I stumbled upon this:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/737094054 (52:35)

They are saying, that the dynamic skin feature, suggested by the Never Stop Slashing creator was wanted, but they were unable to do that because of "technical limitations".

A dynamic skins feature.

A skin that would change the way it looks during the game when certain events happen.

A skin that changes its model when killer does something.

does that sound familiar to you?

Yeah, right, Oni. Whose EVERY body and mask skin is DYNAMIC and changes its ENTIRE model when Oni enters his ability.

Why does the Oni have that feature then, if you are unable to implement it because of "technical limitations"? Or maybe making the mask change TEXTURES is ENTIRELY different from replacing the ENTIRE MODEL of a character?

What technical limitation didn't allow you to do the same with Legion?

Or the potato code is so bad, that you were unable to implement an ALREADY EXISTING feature for the other killer?

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @TheStabbiNAngeL said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630039#Comment_1630039

    I'm pretty sure it's more of a legal issue, the skin is obviously much like the one from watch dog's 2 the character wrench has that mask, I'm sure they would have to go through so much legalities just to have permission to use it. They probably are just saying it's a technical issue because they don't want to embarrass the guy just my thoughts but his costume is completely original however ,so that's the reason they'll still use his design.

    Dude are you listening to yourself lol

  • As I mentioned in my above comment, they could have avoided all this by just choosing a design they were comfortable and capable of creating from the get go.

  • @Artick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1629697#Comment_1629697

    Dude, with all due respect, if you have no clue what you are talking about stop contradicting people that do. The whole "functionality" you keep talking about is this:

    if(power activated) SetModel(power_model)

    else SetModel(regular_model)

    THAT'S IT. Big functionality.

    Literally all they have to do for legion is 3 lines of code. Stop acting like it's complicated, it's not. They just don't want to spend their time creating the different animations/models for the masks. It's not about programming it into the game.

    Do you know how to program?

  • No

    *I apologize for not knowing the correct answer to the OP question. It's just my thoughts on this.

  • @MrLimonka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1627721#Comment_1627721

    I mean, adding a mask that changes expressions is high school level programming..

    The algorithm is very, VERY simple.. the game checks if the player uses said mask, and just displays a different animation on each event, like pallet stuns.

    My bet is that they are just too lazy to add new mask models, especially since the skin will be free anyway.

    I feel like they are mostly doing that because they aren't getting money out of it, so they just make it to where its simple is my guess

  • @Artick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1629697#Comment_1629697

    Dude, with all due respect, if you have no clue what you are talking about stop contradicting people that do. The whole "functionality" you keep talking about is this:

    if(power activated) SetModel(power_model)

    else SetModel(regular_model)

    THAT'S IT. Big functionality.

    Literally all they have to do for legion is 3 lines of code. Stop acting like it's complicated, it's not. They just don't want to spend their time creating the different animations/models for the masks. It's not about programming it into the game.

    Why exactly should I trust that what you are saying is that simple?

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630039#Comment_1630039

    Why exactly should I trust that what you are saying is that simple?

    Because it IS that simple.

    Analyse the algorithm and you will see no flaws. It just works.. It's so straightforward it's stupid.

  • @Ihatelife said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/discussion/comment/1627772#Comment_1627772

    BHVR should do even better since they have more expierience and more powerful tools for feature to create than an one modest programmer with the help of volunteers. Like really what's the point of being creative if these kind of ideas are gonna be scrapped anyway. Lame.

    But that is simply a different scenario, yanderedev uses a different engine with different code so something might be extremely easy there and almost impossible here. I'm not gonna try to defend BHVR here because it is almost definitely possible but that comparison simply doesn't work.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630039#Comment_1630039

    Why exactly should I trust that what you are saying is that simple?

    Frankly, I couldn't care less if you believe me or not since you don't care about facts. Multiple people that are programmers told you that IT IS that simple. How can you insist it isn't when you have no clue about programming is beyond me. What are you basing your opinion on? What knowledge? 


    That's how this discussion went:

    1.Someone tells you it is extremely simple.

    2.You say "but what if it isn't" without providing any arguments. Just "what if it isn't".

    3.Someone else tells you it is that simple and provides pseudocode and the steps needed to do it.

    4.You repeat step 2.

    And so on.


    Do you honestly believe we are all idiots or have some hidden agenda? Do we win a prize if we manage to trick you?

    LMAO have some common sense please.

  • I do or I wouldn't be talking about it. I have a computer science degree and I'm a programmer. What about you?

  • Reminder Legion was originally advertised as a killer who looks like another survivor

    so this is pretty much par for the course

  • @Artick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630341#Comment_1630341

    Frankly, I couldn't care less if you believe me or not since you don't care about facts. Multiple people that are programmers told you that IT IS that simple. How can you insist it isn't when you have no clue about programming is beyond me. What are you basing your opinion on? What knowledge? 

    That's how this discussion went:

    1.Someone tells you it is extremely simple.

    2.You say "but what if it isn't" without providing any arguments. Just "what if it isn't".

    3.Someone else tells you it is that simple and provides pseudocode and the steps needed to do it.

    4.You repeat step 2.

    And so on.

    Do you honestly believe we are all idiots or have some hidden agenda? Do we win a prize if we manage to trick you?

    LMAO have some common sense please.

    Pseudo code does not carry any merit unless it is actually based on something. Anyone can make it look simple if you present it in pseudo code.

    "If (PalletStun) = True

    Set (LegionFace) = x_X

    Else

    Set (LegionFace) = :P"

    Saying "it is easy" and posting made-up code talk is the same as saying "it is easy" and presenting nothing.

    @MrLimonka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630341#Comment_1630341

    Because it IS that simple.

    Analyse the algorithm and you will see no flaws. It just works.. It's so straightforward it's stupid.

    ...how does one analyze an algorithm that is entirely made up for the sake of a discussion?

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/discussion/comment/1627537#Comment_1627537

    No the facemask wasn't the sole reason it won - the designers chose the skin based on many factors and were aware of what they could/couldn't do with it when they chose the winning design.

    I'm not going to comment on why this isn't being implemented, but I don't want false information spread.

    So they willingly chose a skin they knew they couldn't make work? or are you saying they didn't know and are trying to cover their mistake?

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630417#Comment_1630417

    Pseudo code does not carry any merit unless it is actually based on something. Anyone can make it look simple if you present it in pseudo code.

    "If (PalletStun) = True

    Set (LegionFace) = x_X

    Else

    Set (LegionFace) = :P"

    Saying "it is easy" and posting made-up code talk is the same as saying "it is easy" and presenting nothing.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630372#Comment_1630372

    ...how does one analyze an algorithm that is entirely made up for the sake of a discussion?

    I mean, the algorithm is universal and is so simple that it would work if implemented on any programming language. They can literally just copy and paste the algorithm they use for Oni, change the variables a bit and it would work just fine. Trust me, Oni's power has nothing to do with the way the cosmetic algorithm works. It's literally just an if else statement.

    And if it IS difficult to implement (or in other words, if the code is made out of literal spaghetti by a high school student), I doubt it would be much of a problem for a company that hires professional programmers, now would it?

  • @Artick said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630321#Comment_1630321

    I do or I wouldn't be talking about it. I have a computer science degree and I'm a programmer. What about you?

    Physicist. I only asked because your pseudo code seems horribly inefficient, since it's constantly checking whether the power was activated instead of just toggling the change on activation/deactivation. It also gives your claims more credibility if your credentials are on the table, so to speak.

  • @MrLimonka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630459#Comment_1630459

    I mean, the algorithm is universal and is so simple that it would work if implemented on any programming language. They can literally just copy and paste the algorithm they use for Oni, change the variables a bit and it would work just fine. Trust me, Oni's power has nothing to do with the way the cosmetic algorithm works. It's literally just an if else statement.

    And if it IS difficult to implement (or in other words, if the code is made out of literal spaghetti by a high school student), I doubt it would be much of a problem for a company that hires professional programmers, now would it?

    "They can literally just copy and paste the algorithm they use for Oni, change the variables a bit and it would work just fine."

    I see no reason to assume it would be that simple. "Flawless made up code" isn't going to make that convincing.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630493#Comment_1630493

    "They can literally just copy and paste the algorithm they use for Oni, change the variables a bit and it would work just fine."

    I see no reason to assume it would be that simple. "Flawless made up code" isn't going to make that convincing.

    Alright then, so maybe it's your turn now - tell me.. what possibly would NOT be simple about adding a dynamic mask? Especially for a team of experienced programmers?

  • I don't know what's worse, the people simping for BHVR thinking this is anything beyond "trivial" for a professional development team, or the fact that they're right and it probably is too technically complex for a team that has ######### up the sound in their game every patch since launch.

    So we need a new way to phrase this:

    "There are technical issues that prevent this from happening.*



    *Because we're BHVR."

  • @ClickyClicky said:

    Why doesn’t it surprise me that all the uproar is over a Legion cosmetic. Its funny hes such broken bad design yet has the most diehard fanboys on reddit.

    You can’t compare this to Oni. Oni was created from the ground up to transform.

    As far as I remember Spirit is the only killer in the game who changes facial animations and thats done on a cycle I think, not based on context of whats happening in the game. Theres no info on whether this cosmetic would change animations or just be a texture swap but either way it takes time and money to create it and I dont think many companies would be doing that for a one-off skin.

    yea I just looked it up this would of been hard to do I be happy if they just added the other 3 masks

  • @MrLimonka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630588#Comment_1630588

    Alright then, so maybe it's your turn now - tell me.. what possibly would NOT be simple about adding a dynamic mask? Especially for a team of experienced programmers?

    Spaghetti code.

  • Am I the only one who really doesn't care

  • If that's the only reason, then BHVR should just hire new programmers. It's not a small company anymore..

  • Complaining about a free skin for the most annoying killer in the game that no one should play.

  • @MrLimonka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630774#Comment_1630774

    If that's the only reason, then BHVR should just hire new programmers. It's not a small company anymore..

    Even if that were the reason, the fact that it'd be bloody simple to code in stands.

    I mean, it's not just oni. it's the code for EVERYTHING ingame that changes appearance depending on an event:

    exploding gens, lit totems etc.

    code, no matter how spaghetti is always a bunch of Ifs and Elses.

    Tag, if you like I can link you to a lovely little indie-publisher that offers a basic coding language for one to program their own text-based multiple-choice games. sure, it's not graphics, but to give you a feel of how programming works.

  • @skarsguts said:

    Complaining about a free skin for the most annoying killer in the game that no one should play.

    lmao, what's your problem?

  • @TheStabbiNAngeL said:

    I'm waiting for the dev's response then I'll make minds.

    They won't respond; they never do unless it's on Twitter and responding to a post like "OMG they look Awesome! When can I spend my $15 dollars for this skin?! 🥺"

  • The developers will not reply to this thread, most likely it will be closed without giving reasons, like many other threads on this forum. We all understand perfectly well that they just do not want to waste time on the skin that they will include in the free pass. As well as the skin with Claudette. It looks very lazy, even the hair is taken from a different skin, but slightly redone. Same color black / red and same curls. Let's just admit that if these skins sold for money, they'd be better made. Although no, Kate's last skin is also broken and looks shabby. There is no single reason why they cannot make different masks. They are just too lazy to make models and draw it. It's all. This is a simple reason. After all, you could make 4 different masks and the player would decide which mask he wants to play with. But no, you have decided to take the simple path. We have an example in the game where the killer changes the model, and there are no restrictions, but the developers think that their audience is very stupid and will not understand anything and so will forgive everything. But you do a graphics update with a bunch of new bugs, freezes, FPS drops. Yes, that's right. You will have disgusting skins and disgusting game that you do not want to heal, improve, develop and expand. In general, what I want to say is shame, BHVR. Shame, @not_Queen . Once again, you crap, in other matters, as always.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630423#Comment_1630423

    Physicist. I only asked because your pseudo code seems horribly inefficient, since it's constantly checking whether the power was activated instead of just toggling the change on activation/deactivation. It also gives your claims more credibility if your credentials are on the table, so to speak.

    This is correct. The game uses an event system so they just have to call SetModel(or whatever the function for setting a model is called) when the "power activated event" is fired. The initial pseudocode wasn't mean to be the best solution, just to prove that such things can be done in an extremely simple way.

  • This sounds like a feature that would posdible make my PS4 even louder than now with the fan overworking to cool the machine down-luckily it won't happen! My poor mother keeps going "Is that rain?!" or "What's that awful loud noise" every time I'm playing DbD and she's nearby.

  • @cloudface said:

    This sounds like a feature that would posdible make my PS4 even louder than now with the fan overworking to cool the machine down-luckily it won't happen! My poor mother keeps going "Is that rain?!" or "What's that awful loud noise" every time I'm playing DbD and she's nearby.

    yea why I got new ps4 a pro this time new hope it help me but who knows with this game.


    also I main legion and I don't care I mean how the mask meant to work looks hard even for these dev may brake the game more then it already is be a feature this killer doesn't normally have.

    just release 4 different mask there 4 legion killers 4 masks.

  • It's most definitely possible, I'm not sure what the limitations they're talking about are.

    I'm not sure how they do things but surely you could have the 4 mask textures on the mask and have each different animation trigger which of them shows while the others remain hidden.

    You can see they already do this with Oni when he enters demon dash in his minotaur skin where the horns grow, Or Wraith when he activates his power and his model textures are replaced with the shimmer or even to a lesser extent when spirit, or nurse use their power and go invisible (they're textures turn to 0%).

  • @MrLimonka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1630774#Comment_1630774

    If that's the only reason, then BHVR should just hire new programmers. It's not a small company anymore..

    Spaghetti code doesn't get solved simply by hiring new programmers.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1631054#Comment_1631054

    Even if that were the reason, the fact that it'd be bloody simple to code in stands.

    I mean, it's not just oni. it's the code for EVERYTHING ingame that changes appearance depending on an event:

    exploding gens, lit totems etc.

    code, no matter how spaghetti is always a bunch of Ifs and Elses.

    Tag, if you like I can link you to a lovely little indie-publisher that offers a basic coding language for one to program their own text-based multiple-choice games. sure, it's not graphics, but to give you a feel of how programming works.

    Doesn't mean it's simple to just retroactively add that in to a character who was not designed to be able to contextually change their appearance on the fly.

    Also, I've already had some experience with programming in the past. Not a whole lot, but some.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1631076#Comment_1631076

    Doesn't mean it's simple to just retroactively add that in to a character who was not designed to be able to contextually change their appearance on the fly.

    Also, I've already had some experience with programming in the past. Not a whole lot, but some.

    Alright. But iirc the artist did intend the mask to face expressions, and as it is just an image overlay the code from before is valid, and it has been shown it's perfectly possible to do what the devs denied is possible in the Q&A. that's why people are upset.

    It's really just following the same pattern of code as the bits calling for certain sounds (for example, grunting when pallet-stunned. It should be a simple additional if-event calling for a change of texture to the head-piece.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1631076#Comment_1631076

    Doesn't mean it's simple to just retroactively add that in to a character who was not designed to be able to contextually change their appearance on the fly.

    Also, I've already had some experience with programming in the past. Not a whole lot, but some.

    this what I been trying to say this killer didn't start with something like this how it easy to put in.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1631785#Comment_1631785

    Alright. But iirc the artist did intend the mask to face expressions, and as it is just an image overlay the code from before is valid, and it has been shown it's perfectly possible to do what the devs denied is possible in the Q&A. that's why people are upset.

    It's really just following the same pattern of code as the bits calling for certain sounds (for example, grunting when pallet-stunned. It should be a simple additional if-event calling for a change of texture to the head-piece.

    "But iirc the artist did intend the mask to face expressions"

    Obviously.

    "the code from before is valid"

    The "code from before" is just a hypothetical statement. It's not the actual code of the game.

    "It should be a simple additional if-event calling for a change of texture to the head-piece."

    That's an assumption.

  • haha that guys comment calling me a bootlicker was deleted

  • @Ihatelife said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/discussion/comment/1627550#Comment_1627550

    Sorry Mandy, but It's definitely possible to do that. Yandere dev added a guy with special glasses that can express his emotions at any moment. Even the newbie developer can do that.

    You just made a professional team look worse than yandere dev 🤣🤣🤣

  • @humanbeing1704 said:

    haha that guys comment calling me a bootlicker was deleted

    Hey at least someone is reading this thread lol

1 2 ›