Harassment Should Be a Top Priority Right Now

It's gotten out of hand. It needs to be a top priority, and harassment tickets need to start being taken more seriously in the report system. Suspensions and ban's need to start being made immediatly in instances that a player tells someone to kill themself or throws around derogatory terms.

Don't bother saying "Just close chat"

Don't bother saying "It is how it is"

Don't bother saying "Just take a break"

Those are terrible responses. The issue has become out of hand, and needs to be taken more seriously.

@Peanits @not_Queen @AnyOtherBhvrEmployeeThatTalksDrectlyToTheDevTeamOrSupportTeam

Comments

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496261#Comment_1496261

    I‘ll call BS on your observed experiments. And nobody cares about some streamer or whoever that is saying something.

    Nobody cares about EdgarAllenBro? Former Fog Whisperer?

    kk

  • @Peanits said:

    Just to make one thing clear, we already have zero tolerance for extreme insults (e.g. racism, homophobic slurs, telling people to kill themselves, etc.). These people do not get warnings, they are banned without any hesitation. We have always acted on these sorts of reports. The issue is more so that there is no feedback on the reporter's side when action is taken: You don't get a message in-game letting you know that someone you've reported was banned.

    Odds are if you've reported someone for that sort of thing, they were most likely banned shortly after.

    In my opinion you should do what Valve does for Dota2 / Steam Discussions. They let you know when action was taken so you at least know your actions in game weren't wasted. I know BHVR would likely need to set up some sort of messaging system in game per player for this but imo it feels needed to keep the morale of those who actually choose to be a good part of the community motivated.

    Something even as small as

    "A report you made led to action being taken against a player breaking community guidelines. Thank you for keeping the community a better place!"

    OR

    "A report you have submitted against a player has been reviewed and action has been taken. Thank you for the report"

    Nothing else needed just let me know my reports have an impact that's it. It doesn't even need to be immediate just do it a month later or something.

  • @SloppyKnockout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496885#Comment_1496885

    Nobody cares about EdgarAllenBro? Former Fog Whisperer?

    kk

    I haven’t seen or heard his name before so...

    and FORMER fog whisperer? Lol

  • @Kellie said:

    Harassment is apart of every game. If you dislike it so much play super mario 64 or something.

    This is like saying "Harassment is a part of social media. If you don't like it, stay off the internet." or "Harassment is a part of life. If you don't like it, stay at home."

    Nonsense. Harassment should not be tolerated and people who can't behave like a decent normal person have to learn that their actions have consequences, for example by getting banned in a video game or getting their social media account closed.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1498062#Comment_1498062

    I haven’t seen or heard his name before so...

    and FORMER fog whisperer? Lol

    Former. They threw him out for KEKWing a tweet that was of a slightly distasteful joke about another fog whisperer. They've since profusely apologized and they are now on good terms - but this is a guy who has said, on numerous occasions, he reported racist insults from users in the Fog Whisperer private Discord - and nothing was ever done.

  • I mean if some random on the internet can affect your feelings, it may be time to question yourself if you are able to stand online games at all.

  • @Peanits said:

    Just to make one thing clear, we already have zero tolerance for extreme insults (e.g. racism, homophobic slurs, telling people to kill themselves, etc.). These people do not get warnings, they are banned without any hesitation. We have always acted on these sorts of reports. The issue is more so that there is no feedback on the reporter's side when action is taken: You don't get a message in-game letting you know that someone you've reported was banned.

    Odds are if you've reported someone for that sort of thing, they were most likely banned shortly after.

    Are they permanently banned? I realize you don't give direct feedback on the action taken, but users can still see perma game bans on the users profile they reported.

    I actually reported a legacy hacker a few days ago and no joke or exaggeration, about 5 mins after I reported him I went on his profile and he had a game ban! (Thanks @Ryuti).

    So if someone uses extreme insults (such as telling you to die irl), are they perma banned? If so I'd probably make the effort to report them.

  • @Peanits said:

    Just to make one thing clear, we already have zero tolerance for extreme insults (e.g. racism, homophobic slurs, telling people to kill themselves, etc.). These people do not get warnings, they are banned without any hesitation. We have always acted on these sorts of reports. The issue is more so that there is no feedback on the reporter's side when action is taken: You don't get a message in-game letting you know that someone you've reported was banned.

    Odds are if you've reported someone for that sort of thing, they were most likely banned shortly after.

    Could we at least get some indication to know that the person we report got banned? I think that’s mainly the reason people don’t use the in game report because we get no information if that person has been banned or not. By allowing us to know that our report means something would be helpful and probably encourage more people to do so. Many games have send messages back to the user that the person they report got banned. For example, R6, Valorant and Xbox themselves.

  • @Sadsnacks said:

    I think the problem is logistical. There's probably just too many tickets already flooding in for them to really address all of them, or even any of them. Which should tell you how widespread the problem is.

    They'd probably have to hire a whole team/department of like 15 employees to keep up with it. Then you've also got a bunch of salty people getting banned etc and then they'll be asking for refunds etc.

    It's a can of worms.

    I mean..ill shift thru those tickets for like 5k auric cells a week


    @Peanits get them to hire me bruh~

  • just get rid of endgame chat. should close up any trashtalk. and for console users, just turn of notifications

  • @BigTimeGamer said:

    I know you said not to say it but, whats wrong with just closing chat and moving to next game?

    As an adult, I agree with you.

    But if I had a kid, I wouldn't let them touch this game (aside from the fact it's rated M). Too many players want to either teach bad habits (sexism, racism, homophobia) or encourage them to do harm to themselves. I haven't actively reached out to message other players with anything negative in years, but I have probably had 20-30 instances of harassment, almost always for playing the game normally and as intended. I'm not looking down on them at all, but kids can sometimes take these words to be more important than they should be. I have a life, a relationship, a job, other hobbies... For a kid, this might be their one outlet.

    So I do and will continue to report things like this, because while I shrug it off, the next target might be a kid (or adult even) who is not in a happy mental place.

  • @The_architect said:

    just get rid of endgame chat. should close up any trashtalk. and for console users, just turn of notifications

    In real life, when someone is being harassed, do you think the appropriate action is for them to cut off all contact with others?

  • @Azgard12 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1498793#Comment_1498793

    In real life, when someone is being harassed, do you think the appropriate action is for them to cut off all contact with others?

    Tbh. Irl. I could just punch them in the face. So less trashtalking. Online, they are protected by anonymity, so everyone is a tough guy.

  • @Azgard12 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1498793#Comment_1498793

    In real life, when someone is being harassed, do you think the appropriate action is for them to cut off all contact with others?

    why do i always feel this would happen. look, you can just put settings on console to friends only. jesus dude. look i don't want to continue so don't start anything either gg

  • @The_architect said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1498799#Comment_1498799

    why do i always feel this would happen. look, you can just put settings on console to friends only. jesus dude. look i don't want to continue so don't start anything either gg

    I get you. I'm not trying to cause you grief. But I've made a number of friends after matches and whatnot, which couldn't have happened if I blocked everyone but friends. I try my best to always keep a friendly outlook. I'm just saying the people who are toxic should be the ones cut off, not the victim.

  • @Azgard12 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1498804#Comment_1498804

    I get you. I'm not trying to cause you grief. But I've made a number of friends after matches and whatnot, which couldn't have happened if I blocked everyone but friends. I try my best to always keep a friendly outlook. I'm just saying the people who are toxic should be the ones cut off, not the victim.

    well then just don't listen to me, if your fine with chat then ok. whatever thats you not me (and others) gg and good day

  • @The_architect said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1498810#Comment_1498810

    well then just don't listen to me, if your fine with chat then ok. whatever thats you not me (and others) gg and good day

    I am listening to you. You make the point that if people are harassed, they should just not be able to communicate with anyone but their friends. In the real world, this is why some colleges have created "safe spaces." The problem is that these are deemed ineffective, as the behavior from bullies or aggressors isn't corrected and usually continues. Further, the majority of bullies increase in their aggression until they are reprimanded or face consequences. I think you point out one solution that is a band-aid: turn chat off. The problem is still at large then.

    Right now, you're on a forum with open discourse. If someone was attacking you, I'd expect them to be removed from the situation, not you. Sadly, if this was solved the way it is on PS4, you'd only be able to communicate with your friends list on here. I know I don't have many confirmed friends on the forums, so it'd be pretty quiet for me.

    Thank you for the good day. Enjoy your games and have a wonderful August!

  • @Azgard12 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1498813#Comment_1498813

    I am listening to you. You make the point that if people are harassed, they should just not be able to communicate with anyone but their friends. In the real world, this is why some colleges have created "safe spaces." The problem is that these are deemed ineffective, as the behavior from bullies or aggressors isn't corrected and usually continues. Further, the majority of bullies increase in their aggression until they are reprimanded or face consequences. I think you point out one solution that is a band-aid: turn chat off. The problem is still at large then.

    Right now, you're on a forum with open discourse. If someone was attacking you, I'd expect them to be removed from the situation, not you. Sadly, if this was solved the way it is on PS4, you'd only be able to communicate with your friends list on here. I know I don't have many confirmed friends on the forums, so it'd be pretty quiet for me.

    Thank you for the good day. Enjoy your games and have a wonderful August!

    trust me, i rather be with the bullies so i can kick them down a ditch and watch them fail in life.

    which is a problem for me. SO IN MY OPINION. look, just give the option to turn the chat off and on. and i might get banned for saying i would hurt a bullie (which hurts people) and yeah. so gg lets see if i'm perma banned

  • @The_architect said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1498824#Comment_1498824

    trust me, i rather be with the bullies so i can kick them down a ditch and watch them fail in life.

    which is a problem for me. SO IN MY OPINION. look, just give the option to turn the chat off and on. and i might get banned for saying i would hurt a bullie (which hurts people) and yeah. so gg lets see if i'm perma banned

    That's awesome that you have the words, guts, and presence to stand up to bullies. Some aren't as privileged. They're the people who need you as a friend. And if their messages are turned off, they won't have people like you to fight for them.

  • Turn messages off it is a simple solution because if you play killer, or play survivor making many mistakes like new players do all the time there will be scumbags that writes bad things. Now every trashtalker should be banned I'm all for this. But let's be realistic people will get away with way too much so only thing we can do is to either turn it off or just live with it, but always reporting them of course.

    Also never respond because it will make things worse. If you play killer just write their gamertags down and tunnel them out if you see them again. Make sure they are not having fun.

  • All we want is less toxic and no cheater/hacker

    Heck, isn't overwatch/blizzard did ban wave the most of toxic user waaay before?

  • @Bullettimegod said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496154#Comment_1496154

    I mean..ill shift thru those tickets for like 5k auric cells a week

    @Peanits get them to hire me bruh~

    I'll do it for 3K auric cells a week. Boom.

  • Anyone being racist should be banned, period.

  • @NoShinyPony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1496912#Comment_1496912

    This is like saying "Harassment is a part of social media. If you don't like it, stay off the internet." or "Harassment is a part of life. If you don't like it, stay at home."

    Nonsense. Harassment should not be tolerated and people who can't behave like a decent normal person have to learn that their actions have consequences, for example by getting banned in a video game or getting their social media account closed.

    I mean, if you want to control harassment in DBD so bad, just blacklist certain words or remove end game chat

  • @Peanits said:

    Just to make one thing clear, we already have zero tolerance for extreme insults (e.g. racism, homophobic slurs, telling people to kill themselves, etc.). These people do not get warnings, they are banned without any hesitation. We have always acted on these sorts of reports. The issue is more so that there is no feedback on the reporter's side when action is taken: You don't get a message in-game letting you know that someone you've reported was banned.

    Odds are if you've reported someone for that sort of thing, they were most likely banned shortly after.

    Shortly after? Which is why we still see the same names weeks and months after reporting them.

  • Here is the thing, sure let's just block all communication between the players and have no chat. so this is now a solo game online where you have to make your own friends like a game before you can team up with people. This is non-sensical! I have met a great many good people and made great friends over the last 2+ years! so you want to make it simple? then you make it boring for people.

    This is about the mentality of the people that love using these type of slurs and other wordings and you can not know who will purchase this game, and if a parent allows their child to play it who this is. Because of the unknown, it is GREAT there is a way to close the chat, but it will not always be taken for different reasons. This is why it is great that they talk about taking action when it is reported. I am not looking to CONTROL chat of any kind but If you can not go up to your mother, father, or other family, your boss (in the work place) and use these selfsame slurs and "suggestions" it should not be tolerated here.

    for example: you walk up to your boss while at work, and infront of everyone call him a racial slur, you will be on a fast track out of that job. It should not be tolerated here.

  • If somebody calling you things on the internet really does affect you

    Maybe take a break

  • @oh_0k said:

    If somebody calling you things on the internet really does affect you

    Maybe take a break

    That is what I'm saying. You can't let words spoken by somebody you don't know over the internet affect your actual life. The mods can do what they please and idc, but players have the pier to ignore it and that power should be exercised

  • This thread is a perfect example why the post-game chat shouldn't exist to begin with.

  • @Pawcelot said:

    This thread is a perfect example why the post-game chat shouldn't exist to begin with.

    Because people disagree on things? This thread hasn't seen anybody use derogatory slurs or language.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1500926#Comment_1500926

    Because people disagree on things? This thread hasn't seen anybody use derogatory slurs or language.

    Its a lot of offended people in this thread, even without nothing bad actually said. It means that there's people out there that'll see literally anything as offensive and want someone banned for it.

  • @Pawcelot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1500951#Comment_1500951

    Its a lot of offended people in this thread, even without nothing bad actually said. It means that there's people out there that'll see literally anything as offensive and want someone banned for it.

    Ah, I see what you are saying and I agree. I thought you meant it should be shut down for being offensive haha.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    I disagree, the aura issue needs to be too priority

    That has been an issue for only a few days.

    The devs already said they were working on it anyway

  • @D3_destr0y3r said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1497049#Comment_1497049

    That has been an issue for only a few days.

    The devs already said they were working on it anyway

    I'm aware. I'm also aware that until it is fixed it should still be among their top priorities imo.

  • omegalul.PNG

    I must be the only person that finds it hilarious. Making someone mad enough they come and post stuff like that on your steam profile is the definition of lulz.

  • The people saying;

    "It is how it is"

    "Just take a break"

    Do you even realize this is a casual game? It's not meant to be competitive. The game is entirely based on a reward system, that you're supposed to feel rewarded regardless how well you do. People being rude - to the extent of using deragatory terminology, and even telling people to kill themself shouldn't be allowed to happen in the game. Period. The bad manner's alone takes away the reward aspect from the game, and turn's the game competitive and a terrible experience for everyone involved.

    So get out of here with your dismissive [badword].

  • @Peanits said:

    Just to make one thing clear, we already have zero tolerance for extreme insults (e.g. racism, homophobic slurs, telling people to kill themselves, etc.). These people do not get warnings, they are banned without any hesitation. We have always acted on these sorts of reports. The issue is more so that there is no feedback on the reporter's side when action is taken: You don't get a message in-game letting you know that someone you've reported was banned.

    Odds are if you've reported someone for that sort of thing, they were most likely banned shortly after.

    Lol Can you explain all of the alt account experiments then? I've also reported people for them calling me the n word and telling me to kill myself, but I've hopped on and found the same people a few days later.

  • @TheButcher said:

    The people saying;

    "It is how it is"

    "Just take a break"

    Do you even realize this is a casual game? It's not meant to be competitive. The game is entirely based on a reward system, that you're supposed to feel rewarded regardless how well you do. People being rude - to the extent of using deragatory terminology, and even telling people to kill themself shouldn't be allowed to happen in the game. Period. The bad manner's alone takes away the reward aspect from the game, and turn's the game competitive and a terrible experience for everyone involved.

    So get out of here with your dismissive [badword].

    Wrong my friend. To many, the game is competitive; it is one side against another, hence it will always be competitive. Furthermore, I don't think you understand the reward system. If you do poorly in a match you depip. It's an incentive to not just mess around the whole match. If you do, it won't be without consequences.

    While it's not cool for people to be insulted over a game, multiple people have given you a simple, viable solutions.

    @DaKnight said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/R990712DI0A1/omegalul-png.png

    I must be the only person that finds it hilarious. Making someone mad enough they come and post stuff like that on your steam profile is the definition of lulz.

    I get a chuckle out of it when people get so angry over a game they resort to petty name calling. It shows that I won on two levels. Then I move on with my day knowing the anonymous antagonist can't hurt me.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1501235#Comment_1501235

    Wrong my friend. To many, the game is competitive; it is one side against another, hence it will always be competitive. Furthermore, I don't think you understand the reward system. If you do poorly in a match you depip. It's an incentive to not just mess around the whole match. If you do, it won't be without consequences.

    While it's not cool for people to be insulted over a game, multiple people have given you a simple, viable solutions.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1501223#Comment_1501223

    I get a chuckle out of it when people get so angry over a game they resort to petty name calling. It shows that I won on two levels. Then I move on with my day knowing the anonymous antagonist can't hurt me.

    Stop dismissing obvious untolerable behaviour.

  • Stop ignoring the fact that many people out there obviously tolerate the end game chat because they realize 2 things. 1. It's not as bad as you think. 2. There is only so much the mods can do. You sound like a broken record at this point

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1502635#Comment_1502635

    Stop ignoring the fact that many people out there obviously tolerate the end game chat because they realize 2 things. 1. It's not as bad as you think. 2. There is only so much the mods can do. You sound like a broken record at this point

    People shouldn't be thrown racial slur's and told to kill themselves, back to back, over and over again, day after day (including by the same people). Then take a break for 1 to a few weeks, and immediatly the first game back it's the same thing again. Since I started to follow this game during the Freddy Release, and since I started playing from the Demogorgon release - I have only seen the toxicity of the game get worse and worse, and not enough steps are being taken to curb it, or even try to cut it off at the bud.

    The victims shouldn't be forced to close chat, when they simply just want to enjoy a casual game.

    The only people who sound like a broken record at this point is the ones who keep making dismissive comments for this very big issue.

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1502635#Comment_1502635

    Stop ignoring the fact that many people out there obviously tolerate the end game chat because they realize 2 things. 1. It's not as bad as you think. 2. There is only so much the mods can do. You sound like a broken record at this point

    I doubt they will ever get it. They have defenses against being insulted and cyber bullied. They have the report button, closing the chat, ending the game etc. But they choose to be offended, and then they call others enablers and bullys, which honestly offends me. I mean like on a super tiny level that I'll forget about in two seconds. What they really want is a notification saying this person got banned! Other wise they don't get the satisfaction of knowing they got revenge against the person who they probably won't ever play with or hear from again. Personally I think it's a little sad that someone gets so worked up about it honestly.

  • I agree completely with the OP

    People wonder why there's a killer shortage on PS4.


    I have a gallery of hatemail just from playing this game alone as killer, and even survivor if I don't play up to someone else's standards.


    Again if it's a quick FU, no need, but if the player is going out of their way to talk ######### to you for just playing the game, suspensions need to be given out ASAP.

    Something needs to be done about the toxicity within conduct.

    It is sad that the people exceptional at your game and probably have thousands of hours in it (4 years) conduct themselves in such an unpleasant manner.

    There are mmo's where they don't play around, all they need are screenshots and logs and it's a suspension. You do it again double suspension. A third time super suspension pending termination.


    We should all start saving the disrespect we get as proof while we just try to play the game.

    And again I'm not talking about anything in-game, it's messaging after the game.

    You are so experienced but that is what you use your skill for, to berate someone at the end and feel good about yourself meanwhile this person said nothing to you. It is bullying. Again, in-game, I can care less it looks silly,but when you go out of that realm to get your satisfaction I need my satisfaction with seeing some kind of reprimand.

    These people no longer feel satisfied simply winning by a landslide, they have an urge and need to exert their prowess once the match is over and pick fights too.

  • @BloodyNights said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1502642#Comment_1502642

    I doubt they will ever get it. They have defenses against being insulted and cyber bullied. They have the report button, closing the chat, ending the game etc. But they choose to be offended, and then they call others enablers and bullys, which honestly offends me. I mean like on a super tiny level that I'll forget about in two seconds. What they really want is a notification saying this person got banned! Other wise they don't get the satisfaction of knowing they got revenge against the person who they probably won't ever play with or hear from again. Personally I think it's a little sad that someone gets so worked up about it honestly.

    Get out of here with you dismissive comments. If it wasn't that bad, people wouldn't be complaining this much in the first place, also no other game has it where literally back to back 6-7 games at a time you get called racial slur's and told to #########. Hell i've played COD, and CS:GO, and not nearly ever seen so much blatant racism and suicide threats in my life. I also come from having an addiction to WoW which isn't nearly this bad.

    People are not choosing to be offended, people are just tired with the bull ######### ruining the game.

  • @TheButcher said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1503171#Comment_1503171

    Get out of here with you dismissive comments. If it wasn't that bad, people wouldn't be complaining this much in the first place, also no other game has it where literally back to back 6-7 games at a time you get called racial slur's and told to #########. Hell i've played COD, and CS:GO, and not nearly ever seen so much blatant racism and suicide threats in my life. I also come from having an addiction to WoW which isn't nearly this bad.

    People are not choosing to be offended, people are just tired with the bull ######### ruining the game.

    No, people are choosing to be offended. Clearly you gave never played COD because any MW2 lobby would have you begging to return to the so called toxicity of this game.

    @BloodyNights said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1502642#Comment_1502642

    I doubt they will ever get it. They have defenses against being insulted and cyber bullied. They have the report button, closing the chat, ending the game etc. But they choose to be offended, and then they call others enablers and bullys, which honestly offends me. I mean like on a super tiny level that I'll forget about in two seconds. What they really want is a notification saying this person got banned! Other wise they don't get the satisfaction of knowing they got revenge against the person who they probably won't ever play with or hear from again. Personally I think it's a little sad that someone gets so worked up about it honestly.


    Yes, people want the notification so they can go around saying "I made the world a better place today and got someone banned from a video game!"

  • @Mendax said:

    I usually play with hidden chat. I don't want to read insults. But I think devs should introduce filters for bad words. It's minimum.

    This is a "Mature' rated game. LOL

  • @Peanits said:

    Just to make one thing clear, we already have zero tolerance for extreme insults (e.g. racism, homophobic slurs, telling people to kill themselves, etc.). These people do not get warnings, they are banned without any hesitation. We have always acted on these sorts of reports. The issue is more so that there is no feedback on the reporter's side when action is taken: You don't get a message in-game letting you know that someone you've reported was banned.

    Odds are if you've reported someone for that sort of thing, they were most likely banned shortly after.

    could you maybe introduce such a message system then?

    you dont have to tell me who got banned, but a simple "hey someone you reported was banned" would be more than enough to give people more faith in the report system.

1 2 ›