Auras - Devs, we want answers.

This is absolutely ridiculous. In four years of playing the game I have never seen such an absolutely horrible change made to the base game. I have no idea how this made it through development without a single person on the team bringing up the fact that visibility for auras has been drastically reduced immensely.

The entire change is an absolute downgrade in quality and visibility of the auras, on maps like Ormond it is damned near impossible to see even for someone with perfect vision. It's annoying for survivors, and it is downright maddening for killers, neither side truly benefits from this change and it's an altogether hindrance to most the entire player base.

And we're talking about all auras here, a critical and integral component to the entire game. For perks to work properly as intended like Kindred, BBQ & Chili, Detective's Hunch, Nurse's Calling, Empathy, Bitter Murmur, Aftercare, Hex: Retribution, and on and on. Even just the ability for killers to see the auras of normal generators, survivors in the dying state, hooks, totems, are all impeded. Trying to see anything at a distance all the way across the map can often be a struggle, for killers or survivors.


Worst and most abhorrent of all is the impact this change has had on the color-blind player base, I myself am not colorblind but if I as someone who has no need for even glasses to be able to see perfectly am struggling I hardly want to imagine someone who is colorblind can make out. And I don't have to imagine, many colorblind players have described being forced to play basically without being able to see auras at all.

"I'm red/green colorblind and my first killer game after the update was on Ormond. I essentially had to find gens and survivors with echolocation." -PuzzlePeace

"As a colorblind player I might as well play with my eyes closed" -marconde897

and just in general these are the responses of the rest of the playerbase:

"New auras are really bad especially on low end pc - cant see them at all like having perma blindness effect..." -Shadow Vasya

"I played on Ormond yesterday and my teammate died on his first hook because I couldn’t find where the hook was." -Alex Fialon

"Wait, they deliberately changed the auras? When I logged on and went to play killer I was 100% convinced that it's a bug and that they'll shadow patch it the next day, they just look so terrible. Why would they change them?" -Surtur Spawn

"I legit just installed the game today, and saw the auras AND THOUGHT MY PC WAS BREAKING IT" -Zachary Barkey


"It's like two red pixels" -not Otzdarva

image.png image.png image.png

Screenshots of Otz (a Fog Whisperer) looking at the aura of a bear trap from a medium distance on Ormond on 1080p60 HD video.


It is by no stretch or exaggeration by any metric of logic or reason that this aura change is fundamentally gamebreaking and examples can be cited across the entire game from Bear and Phantasm Traps for Trapper and Hag, trying to see Hex: Totems, the auras of survivors at a distance for both killers and survivors, distinguishing the auras of survivors repairing a generator from the generator itself, etc.

I'm especially angry that nobody at BHVR has not thought to comment on this problem, devs and mods continue to comment on other threads discussing topics of vastly lower importance but have refused to discuss the issue. The mystery of what goes on behind the scenes at BHVR is often endearing, but in this case a lack of communication is absolutely unacceptable.

This needs to be hotfixed as soon as possible. Not a few months, not a few weeks from now, and certainly not "Soon™". @Peanits @not_Queen we need a response now.

BHVR, I want to speak to your manager.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • image.png

    It has been commented on, as you can see above.

  • I haven't played the game since this patch released, and I heard all of the complaints about the auras and stuff. However, only now do I see how bad they dropped the ball. Hopefully, they'll address this in their upcoming Q and A with something other than "We're looking into it" or "Soon".

  • Yes, the new auras are horrible. I know. Lots of people think that the idea is cool, but also there is lots of people who love the old auras for example me. Please check my post for a suggestion that i have about the auras.

    @Strongman23Robärt said:

    As we all know, the new auras are horrible. They probably was not even supposed to look like this. What if we finally got an option to choose something considering our view? Would it be possible for us to get an option to decide whether we use the new auras (after they are fixed) or the old auras? For example from the settings? I know the auras are bugged but i don't even like the look or idea of the new auras whether they were fixed or not, i wan't to use the old ones, i love the way they look and were.

    PLEASE GIVE US AN OPTION TO CHOOSE WHICH ONES WE USE CAUSE MORE THAN 50% DOES NOT EVEN LIKE THE NEW AURAS

    If you agree, PLEASE consider sharing this one. An upvote would be appeciated a lot too, maybe we could make this happen guys!?

    I really think it would be a great solution and everyone would love it since we would have the option to choose the style of the auras..

    😳


  • Thank you for taking the time to respond and post this screenshot. I cannot understate that merely the confirmation alone that something is being done is immensely appreciated.

  • The Entity tendrils on both of your posts almost align perfectly.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @DwightsBrokenArm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489265#Comment_1489265

    Please add colourblind support on auras and scratchmarks while at it. Thanks.

    ^^^

  • Correction, that is Otzdarva, not Not Otzdarva.

  • I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but don't you think this should be pinned somewhere, or announced?

    People are clearly upset about this, and we shouldn't have to dig through threads or pester mods to hear about basic responses like this.

    It's kind of bewildering tbh.

  • I already know the answer but did you really test the aura changes before releasing it ?

  • @Halun said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489265#Comment_1489265

    I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but don't you think this should be pinned somewhere, or announced?

    People are clearly upset about this, and we shouldn't have to dig through threads or pester mods to hear about basic responses like this.

    It's kind of bewildering tbh.

    Totally agree. It's an important enough issue to warrant pinning it at the top of the forums together with the Q&A announcement.

    I thought the auras weren't so bad until I played a couple killer matches and on some maps it felt like the survivors all had Boil Over. It was tremendously difficult to find the closest hooks. Then I played a match with Hex: Ruin on Ormond and I couldn't find my own totem despite ignoring the survivors and walking around the map searching for it.

    If the intent wasn't to significantly change the way auras appear, why were they changed at all, I wonder.

  • @OldHunterLight said:

    Correction, that is Otzdarva, not Not Otzdarva.

    That's impossible. How could Otzdarva be posting on not Otzdarva's youtube channel??? (Link to video where screenshots were taken from):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN1S4223g_E

    Were they doing a collab or something?

    @Halun said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489265#Comment_1489265

    I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but don't you think this should be pinned somewhere, or announced?

    People are clearly upset about this, and we shouldn't have to dig through threads or pester mods to hear about basic responses like this.

    It's kind of bewildering tbh.

    A valid point and very well put, I'm curious myself as well.

  • @Seiko300 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489345#Comment_1489345

    That's impossible. How could Otzdarva be posting on not Otzdarva's youtube channel??? (Link to video where screenshots were taken from):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN1S4223g_E

    Were they doing a collab or something?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489350#Comment_1489350

    A valid point and very well put, I'm curious myself as well.

    So far people believe that Not Otzdarva has been stealing stuff from Otzdarva but since that guy never uploads no one can clearly say, there are many theories but no one knows.

    P.S: sorry for being this dumb in a real thread that is asking for serious stuff.

  • @OldHunterLight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489403#Comment_1489403

    So far people believe that Not Otzdarva has been stealing stuff from Otzdarva but since that guy never uploads no one can clearly say, there are many theories but no one knows.

    P.S: sorry for being this dumb in a real thread that is asking for serious stuff.

    Personally I never liked that Otzdarva guy, I only ever watched not Otzdarva's videos and I didn't even hear about Otz 'till long after I started watching not Otz.


    Lol it's okay. A little break from being serious is nice and appreciated every once in awhile.

  • I assume they did this to make it easier to notice auras through things?

  • @GhostMaceNotCrusty said:

    I assume they did this to make it easier to notice auras through things?

    The whole point of this thread and everyone who has been echoing the same sentiment is that it is more difficult to see auras, not just through objects but in general.

    Did you not see the screenshots?? Otz putting his hand over his eyes and squinting at his screen??? You tell me if it's easier

  • 400 IQ Dev: “Players eyes have been over performing so we decided to implement nearly invisible auras so that players eyes become useless”


    21 IQ player: “You have already rendered our ears useless because your sound guys are terrible, do we really need invisible auras”


    5000 IQ Dev: “We made some new skins you can buy.”

  • They didn’t want to change it this much but the fact they wanted to change it at all is mind boggling

  • My first impression of the auras when I played the game after update, was that "oh gosh, whoever coded the aura should be fired! This is some high school level coding."

  • Maybe turn on a PC or a PS4 and actually look at the spaghetti nonsense that gets pushed out before pushing it out. Who gave the “ok” to let this be pushed out? I mean, it’s really not hard to see how much hot garbage this is.

  • @OBX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489265#Comment_1489265

    Maybe turn on a PC or a PS4 and actually look at the spaghetti nonsense that gets pushed out before pushing it out. Who gave the “ok” to let this be pushed out? I mean, it’s really not hard to see how much hot garbage this is.

    They seriously can’t be so inept that they’re missing these during tests, the only answer is they are literally not testing the final version before patch releases.

    @OBX said:

    400 IQ Dev: “Players eyes have been over performing so we decided to implement nearly invisible auras so that players eyes become useless”

    21 IQ player: “You have already rendered our ears useless because your sound guys are terrible, do we really need invisible auras”

    5000 IQ Dev: “We made some new skins you can buy.”

    Shhhhhhhhh, here come the white knights to tell you cosmetics and bugs are two different teams

  • These changes make perfect sense if we assume the community wants killers underperforming across the board.

  • @johnmwarner said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489538#Comment_1489538

    They seriously can’t be so inept that they’re missing these during tests, the only answer is they are literally not testing the final version before patch releases.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489511#Comment_1489511

    Shhhhhhhhh, here come the white knights to tell you cosmetics and bugs are two different teams

    It's true facts though, they are separate teams and have nothing to do with each other.

  • @Seiko300 said:

    This is absolutely ridiculous. In four years of playing the game I have never seen such an absolutely horrible change made to the base game. I have no idea how this made it through development without a single person on the team bringing up the fact that visibility for auras has been drastically reduced immensely.

    The entire change is an absolute downgrade in quality and visibility of the auras, on maps like Ormond it is damned near impossible to see even for someone with perfect vision. It's annoying for survivors, and it is downright maddening for killers, neither side truly benefits from this change and it's an altogether hindrance to most the entire player base.

    And we're talking about all auras here, a critical and integral component to the entire game. For perks to work properly as intended like Kindred, BBQ & Chili, Detective's Hunch, Nurse's Calling, Empathy, Bitter Murmur, Hex: Retribution, Aftercare, and on and on. Even just the ability for killers to see the auras of normal generators, survivors in the dying state, hooks, are all impeded. Trying to see anything at a distance all the way across the map can often be a struggle, for killers or survivors.

    Worst and most abhorrent of all is the impact this change has had on the color-blind player base, I myself am not colorblind but if I as someone who has no need for even glasses to be able to see perfectly am struggling I hardly want to imagine someone who is colorblind can make out. And I don't have to imagine, many colorblind players have described being forced to play basically without being able to see auras at all.

    "I'm red/green colorblind and my first killer game after the update was on Ormond. I essentially had to find gens and survivors with echolocation." -PuzzlePeace

    "As a colorblind player I might as well play with my eyes closed" -marconde897

    and just in general these are the responses of the rest of the playerbase:

    "New auras are really bad especially on low end pc - cant see them at all like having perma blindness effect..." -Shadow Vasya

    "I played on Ormond yesterday and my teammate died on his first hook because I couldn’t find where the hook was." -Alex Fialon

    "Wait, they deliberately changed the auras? When I logged on and went to play killer I was 100% convinced that it's a bug and that they'll shadow patch it the next day, they just look so terrible. Why would they change them?" -Surtur Spawn

    "I legit just installed the game today, and saw the auras AND THOUGHT MY PC WAS BREAKING IT" -Zachary Barkey

    "It's like two red pixels" -not Otzdarva

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/7C4STOED9D1K/image.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/MJST093I3Y32/image.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/3P75TPCYKUZE/image.png

    Screenshots of Otz (a Fog Whisperer) looking at the aura of a bear trap from a medium distance on Ormond on 1080p60 HD video.

    It is by no stretch or exaggeration by any metric of logic or reason that this aura change is fundamentally gamebreaking and examples can be cited across the entire game from Bear and Phantasm Traps for Trapper and Hag, trying to see Hex: Totems, the auras of survivors at a distance for both killers and survivors, distinguishing the auras of survivors repairing a generator from the generator itself, etc.

    I'm especially angry that nobody at BHVR has not thought to comment on this problem, devs and mods continue to comment on other threads discussing topics of vastly lower importance but have refused to discuss the issue. The mystery of what goes on behind the scenes at BHVR is often endearing, but in this case a lack of communication is absolutely unacceptable.

    This needs to be hotfixed as soon as possible. Not a few months, not a few weeks from now, and certainly not "Soon™". @Peanits @not_Queen we need a response now.

    BHVR, I want to speak to your manager.

    It’s been A DAY chill tf out

  • It only took a day for both survivors and killers to realize how bad and gamebreaking this change was. That's when you know you've ######### up, when the entire community that has been biased and partisan for 4 years now has rallied together against a feature. If anything, the response needs to be overbearing to match the frustration the community is feeling so the devs prioritize this change before anything else, and rightly so.

  • This proves without a doubt, they don't test new changes.

  • @Seiko300 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489547#Comment_1489547

    It's true facts though, they are separate teams and have nothing to do with each other.

    Yes, it’s true. It’s always true that they couple pull some budget from cosmetics team and add to tech. I don’t want anyone to lose a job, but sometimes tough things need to happen

  • Yes it’s been a day. Precisely a day too long. Hopefully only a day but time will tell. I cannot begin to comprehend who saw this in action and said “yes, this is good” before releasing it in not just any update, but a mid chapter one. I can only assume they want to watch the world burn. That’s how bad of a misstep was taken here. Fix it. Immediately. With a time machine if possible.

  • Yet again can’t post something because reasons? I’ll paraphrase: this should not have happened whatsoever. Whoever approved this needs a serious time out and a snickers. Fix it immediately please and place whoever responsible under sober adult supervision. Thanks.

  • @Seiji212 said:

    Yet again can’t post something because reasons? I’ll paraphrase: this should not have happened whatsoever. Whoever approved this needs a serious time out and a snickers. Fix it immediately please and place whoever responsible under sober adult supervision. Thanks.

    Oooooohhh I've had that happen to me before, if it won't let you post something real quick copy and paste whatever you wrote and then refresh your page afterward. Although, your problem could be different than what I'm thinking I don't know, hope this helped.

    It's not worth potentially losing an entire lengthy post just because the forums doesn't want to work.

  • @Seiji212 said:

    Yet again can’t post something because reasons? I’ll paraphrase: this should not have happened whatsoever. Whoever approved this needs a serious time out and a snickers. Fix it immediately please and place whoever responsible under sober adult supervision. Thanks.

    It’s almost like they have a betting pool, how far they can push players and how badly they can mess up before we quit. And we’re making them looking really good by just tagging along

  • @johnmwarner said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489702#Comment_1489702

    It’s almost like they have a betting pool, how far they can push players and how badly they can mess up before we quit. And we’re making them looking really good by just tagging along

    All I know is that this aura thing has rendered the game so unplayable for me that I’ve had to stoop to playing mobile to get my fix. Imo mobile is now superior until auras are restored. Dark times indeed.

  • For fricks sake it did it again lol. I’m playing the superior mobile version until auras are restored. It’s sad. Very sad.

  • Yes it’s been a day. Precisely a day too long. Hopefully only a day but time will tell. I cannot begin to comprehend who saw this in action and said “yes, this is good” before releasing it in not just any update but a mid chapter one. I can only assume they want to watch the world burn. That’s how bad of a misstep was taken here. Fix it. Immediately. With a time machine if possible.

  • @Seiko300 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489416#Comment_1489416

    Personally I never liked that Otzdarva guy, I only ever watched not Otzdarva's videos and I didn't even hear about Otz 'till long after I started watching not Otz.

    Lol it's okay. A little break from being serious is nice and appreciated every once in awhile.

    I only knew about him because I used to play dark souls (a lot, really a lot) in the old times but this guy Not Otzdarva is really chill and doesn't yell "wat" that often lol

  • Just revert it back, we don’t need new auras. Plain and simple.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/0KUDOYKMRNM7/9lvlze7-5b1-5d.png

    It has been commented on as you can see above.

    ANYTIME THIS MONTH WOULD BE GOOD I CANT EVEN PLAY TRAPPER XD HES THE ONLY KILLER I PLAY SO CYA I GUESS XD

  • @Seiji212 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1489589#Comment_1489589

    Yes it’s been a day. Precisely a day too long. Hopefully only a day but time will tell. I cannot begin to comprehend who saw this in action and said “yes, this is good” before releasing it in not just any update, but a mid chapter one. I can only assume they want to watch the world burn. That’s how bad of a misstep was taken here. Fix it. Immediately. With a time machine if possible.

    I mean , maybe actually test your updates , usually a great idea xD this game never fails. Of course 0 bugs in the store system and outfits that are overpriced xD

  • today I played all my matches with BBQ, It was a struggle to determine wether someone was working on a gen or not. Time to start using thrilling tremors

  • Just rollback this update, and fix it. Simple. There should be either no problem with approving an old version on psn steam what ever

  • @Mandy said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/0KUDOYKMRNM7/9lvlze7-5b1-5d.png

    It has been commented on as you can see above.

    Link to the post in the screenshot:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1488521#Comment_1488521

    For anyone like me who prefers posts over screenshots of posts.

  • Thanks so much for this +1

    Seriously, they should pin these responses which have a huge impact on most of the playerbase.

  • @Seiko300 Are you aware of these accounts?

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    @Seiko300 Are you aware of these accounts?

    I don't think that's related to this thread in any way, shape, form, or fashion. You could have left a comment on my profile or something instead.

    But I assume by "accounts" you are referring to the Seiko301 and Seiko299 accounts? Yeah I'm aware. Some dumb friends of mine IRL who are messing with me and the integrity of these here forums. Lol.

    From my understanding they were actually banned lol. Which, not surprising, they were troll accounts so no love lost.

  • @Seiko300 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1685429#Comment_1685429

    I don't think that's related to this thread in any way, shape, form, or fashion. You could have left a comment on my profile or something instead.

    But I assume by "accounts" you are referring to the Seiko301 and Seiko299 accounts? Yeah I'm aware. Some dumb friends of mine IRL who are messing with me and the integrity of these here forums. Lol.

    From my understanding they were actually banned lol. Which, not surprising, they were troll accounts so no love lost.

    Ah sorry, i would have replied on your profile, I was just tired.

    Thanks for clarifying, I just found those accounts to be hilarious.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1686526#Comment_1686526

    Ah sorry, i would have replied on your profile, I was just tired.

    Thanks for clarifying, I just found those accounts to be hilarious.

    They probably were lol, I don't think I saw everything they posted. Also I missed one, there were actually three.

    "SeikoThreeHundred" also met an unfortunate end alongside the aforementioned accounts as well.