Survivors, why do you flashlight burn while a killer is breaking a pallet?

I have seen this tactic used in every match with a flashlight. Flashlight burning a killer in any animation lock against half decent killers is useless, since you will lose distance and the killer can listen for sounds? What benefit is there to this?

Comments

  • @Peanits said:

    They do it for three reasons:

    1. Assuming you're not injured or have Iron Will, it forces the killer to guess which way you went, which can give you enough distance to get to the next loop in time by the time they figure out where you went.
    2. Points.
    3. Flashlight blind challenges.

    Lol I saw u on the anniversary loading screen

  • Spending time making a post asking why people do it sounds triggered to me. Why ask the question if you already know the answer. He is just spitting out all the built up salt in his mouth.

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    Because it is fun for them. You are locked in an animation and cannot counter it so that means fun for them.

    However, oh goodness if killer can do something they cannot counter oh my the game needs to be changed.

    This and points but mainly, this

  • @GhostMaceNotCrusty said:

    Well if u have something like quick & quiet you can vault a window and potentially escape but let's be honest, it's just to be toxic

    Ha no, it's not just to be toxic. Most survivors just don't know how to use flashlights effectively. Most of my friends do this and I try to explain its inefficient however when they do it, its more out of lack of gamesense, not everything made to be toxic and many survivor mains haven't played enough killer to realise how ineffective it is

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    Because it is fun for them. You are locked in an animation and cannot counter it so that means fun for them.

    However, oh goodness if killer can do something they cannot counter oh my the game needs to be changed.

    Cry some more why don't you. It's already been explained that this is ineffective and is bad for the survivors. I guarantee you no one would complain if there was a similar killer mechanic that BENEFITTED then on the survivor side

  • Honestly, I just do it for bloodpoints when i sometimes find flashlights in chests. I pull off the occasional flashlight save every once in a while, but aside from that it's just for bp. At least that's how it is for me, because i still dont have my killer main at p3. I see where you're coming from, though.

  • Points + it's funny when it works.

    And by "works" I don't mean entirely losing the killer. Even just gaining 1-2 extra seconds of distance because the killer walked the wrong direction while blind can be beneficial, and the times when you do pull a complete Houdini before the killer regains their vision feels great too.

  • @GhostMaceNotCrusty said:

    Well if u have something like quick & quiet you can vault a window and potentially escape but let's be honest, it's just to be toxic

    Not sure if you're joking, but flashing a killer is not toxic. Flashlight saves aren't toxic. SWF and killers camping the hook aren't necessarily toxic either. The survivors using flashlights only become toxic if a survivor is clicking at you and actually trying to trigger you, for example. Flashlights being 'toxic' is a common misconception.

    Just like camping isn't necessarily toxic. Killers often have little choice but to camp when the exit gates are open. Camping only becomes toxic if the killer starts hitting the hook or nods their head.

  • I thought it was like tech to go pallet stun into flashlight stun since you would get more time to escape

  • Actually just bring iron will and it works like a charm! I evaded the killer many times by this

  • at low ranks killers will just stand and wait for it to end, giving distance.

    at mid-high ranks, I got no idea why other than points

  • It's generally a waste of time to blind at a pallet. If they have a flashlight I start the break animation straight away so they stand there blinding while in breaking. By the time you've moved forward, blind is gone and they haven't got far. If they had just ran whilst I was breaking the pallet I reckon they would have made more distance

  • @Jukenobi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1453917#Comment_1453917

    Spending time making a post asking why people do it sounds triggered to me. Why ask the question if you already know the answer. He is just spitting out all the built up salt in his mouth.

    Looks like someone STILL has not read the post. I was simply looking for an answer to get into the mindset of survivors that do this, since it gives the survivors themselves a disadvantage, and if they didn't know this, I want to help them. Please can you stop talking nonsense?

  • To make distance.

  • To be fair when I do this as long as I don’t sprint I can do a juke if some kind. And if you are running the killer to waste time instead of get away then it can be a great way to get to another jungle gym or T-Wall

  • I do this to get behind the killer at a jungle gym. They're always going to walk forward assuming I went further ahead, which gives me time to search for another loop.

  • @JesterClown said:

    I thought it was like tech to go pallet stun into flashlight stun since you would get more time to escape

    Yes and no. The killer can still move during the blind so if he hears you or guesses which way you went he won’t lose any more time. In fact the survivor loses a couple seconds that they could have used to make more distance.

    Sometimes you can use it to lose a killer though, or if he turns the wrong way you gain some distance. Also some killers will get tilted and play worse because of flashlights, although it’s risky because someone will also face camp solely because they feel flashlights are “toxic.”

  • This content has been removed.
  • @youarewronglol said:

    fun

    points

    iron will

    all of the above, pick your choice really

    Fun and points is what I feel a lot of people aren’t getting about this, maybe it’s not the most efficient way to be chased but after hours and hours and hours sometimes you’re sick of playing super efficiently... that becomes so boring

  • @Zamblot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1453153#Comment_1453153

    Cry some more why don't you. It's already been explained that this is ineffective and is bad for the survivors. I guarantee you no one would complain if there was a similar killer mechanic that BENEFITTED then on the survivor side

    Speaking the truth is not crying. I have 1k hours in each side and know exactly why I pallet blind, becxause its fun, I have never done it "to escape a chase" thats for sure.

    Its a fact, what I said is 100% true as others have agreed because they know I am correct.

    Don't confuse me with those who play one side and cannot see behind the curtains

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    I have seen this tactic used in every match with a flashlight. Flashlight burning a killer in any animation lock against half decent killers is useless, since you will lose distance and the killer can listen for sounds? What benefit is there to this?

    Flashlight blind at pallet can be a smart move in several cases;


    1) against wraith, he's chasing you while cloacked. The stun lasts longer

    2) a killer has both fire up with at least 3 stacks AND that perk i cannot remember the name but allows to break pallets faster

    3) the killer has the perk (i think endure) that reduces pallet stun and you realize stun+pallet break will last less than 3 seconds

    4) you have fixated, so you blind him and simply walk behind him. He won't think at looking behind...

    5) you run q&q or/and urban evasion. Stealthy

    6) you are good enough to pull a chain blind. The killer will try to get out of flashlight range and will possibly give you enough time

    7) you are trying to get the killer attention because you were never hooked, your companions are doing last gen and they are not so good at chases and were already hooked twice. This is some sort of self sacrifice.

  • One reason. To be toxic. That is it.

  • This sounds like a Nooblet question or a i never get good survivors question. But u said ur on ps4 so probably the 2nd one. Like 5% of the red ranks on ps4 are actually good and have common sense. They aren't using the flashlight right. Also using a flashlight isnt toxic. Having swf flashlight chain you like a human centipede is toxic. Nothing in the game is toxic unless its excessive. Example proxy camping isnt toxic camping isnt toxic slugging isnt toxic as long as its for a valid reason. Same with survivors using items and blinding isnt toxic. Half this comment was directed to the butthurt nooblets calling it toxic. Anyone who mains one side of the game is usually a butt hurt nooblet while vets play both sides and understand the issues of both and like theres like 5 things in this game that are genuinely toxic. Also you must have bumb ass headphones if you cant hear a survivor moving in the grass. Unless they have iron will on which is broken right now you should be able to hear em.

  • @DBD_Noobinoob said:

    It doesn't even work. When I'm blinded while breaking a pallet, I just keep walking straight and end up being as near to them as before... I always feel like if it's a survivor who knows what they're doing way better than me, it's to be toxic, but I also feel like many "average" survivors don't realize it isn't very effective (like for a long time as survivor I honestly thought killers couldn't walk when they're blinded :D ), and that they should rather keep their flashlight charge for trying to blind when I'm carrying a survivor.

    "I just keep walking straight" - This is exactly why I do it.. 9/10 times, the killer will break the pallet and continue to walk straight giving me various options, especially if i'm running Iron Will.

    1) If not injured; double blind them and run to the side.

    2) Blind and vault the nearest window using Q&Q, Lithe & Dance with me to completely vanish.

    3) If injured; blind during breaking animation, blind again at the end of breaking animation and dead hard behind you.

    4) Blind and simply crouch at the corner of the pallet and watch you run off into the distance.

  • I do it because it's the safest time to flashlight a killer, plus you get 500 points for doing it and also it works to get away from the killer 50% of the time in my experience. Not every killer is listening to sounds I guess that's why it works half the time.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    I have seen this tactic used in every match with a flashlight. Flashlight burning a killer in any animation lock against half decent killers is useless, since you will lose distance and the killer can listen for sounds? What benefit is there to this?

    It works but not with all killers tbh. I have escaped chases too many times to count using flashlights at pallets. I don't however blind during animation. I blind before.

    I can then sneak off while the killer is looking. Sometimes they see me sneaking but I already have a good safe distance. I also don't blind at every pallet. Only when I need distance to get to the next safe area.

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    Because it is fun for them. You are locked in an animation and cannot counter it so that means fun for them.

    However, oh goodness if killer can do something they cannot counter oh my the game needs to be changed.

    Isn't the game supposed to be fun? Flashlights are in the game so it's a counter. Survivors also can't hit the killer with it. We can only run...

    Both sides whine about everything. Putting all survivors in a pool saying we do it to just be toxic is a bit judgemental on a survival game. Lol

    I do not play toxic in any way. I respect players who respect the game and the players in it. We are all here because the game is awesome. Yet we have a growing toxic community.

    I have experienced plenty of toxic behavior from both sides. Lets face it. There is just a bunch of azzhats out there.

    Fighting in the community does nadda. Instead play right. Support the devs and your dbd community. Positive input leads to more of a success than negative. Js....

  • I do it to juke the killer. Blind him act like I'm running away during breaking animation and crouch straight back towards the killer. They keep running the direction they thought I went. Usually when they realize no scratch marks they will come back but by that time I've got solid distance on them. Of course, this doesnt work if the killer actually uses his or her ears...

  • Some of them do it to try to mindgame with iron will, urban evasion and stuff...but most of them just do it for tilting the killer and to say "hey, come here so I can loop you while you lose 4 gens".

    I prefer if they keep doing that, Lightborn closes that chase inmediately.

  • It can be used as practice before survivors attempt to start getting flashlight saves if they're not too comfortable with using them yet. Also some people just do it for the bloodpoints.

  • @Jukenobi said:

    Another killer triggered by a flashlight. 😂

    He isn't triggered by it. It doesn't even do anything tbh. It's never made more than a minor inconvenience for me

  • The blind time usually equals pallet break time. . I take advantage of that.

    It'll only take a couple seconds to recuperate any lost distance.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    I have seen this tactic used in every match with a flashlight. Flashlight burning a killer in any animation lock against half decent killers is useless, since you will lose distance and the killer can listen for sounds? What benefit is there to this?

    Run past em then its confusing

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    I have seen this tactic used in every match with a flashlight. Flashlight burning a killer in any animation lock against half decent killers is useless, since you will lose distance and the killer can listen for sounds? What benefit is there to this?

    For me, there is only reason to do this, and it's a rather simple one:

    I'm attempting a rift challenge that requires blinding the Killer so many times, and I'm really bad at using a flashlight.

    By waiting until the Killer is breaking a pallet, it basically gives you a "free shot". The Survivor isn't as much worried about escaping the chase, or even the match perhaps. They are playing the "long game", finishing their challenge as quickly and efficiently as possible in order to rack up those BP and beef their characters up.

    But that's just me... Everyone else might have their own reason.

  • I think it’s funny how many ppl upvoted the devs response. If someone here posted that it wouldn’t have done so well for such an obvious response. It seems there are more important discussions going on in the community but this is what was responded to. Gg ez.

  • only time i do it is for the tome, cause i suck at flashlights otherwise

  • @Thatgurl_again said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1453131#Comment_1453131

    Well what made you make the post? Something must've happened.....just saying

    Who cares? He's just asking a question

  • I'm asking a question too? Why do u care?

  • If you use the perk against blinding as a killer tier 3 level flashlights are useless

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1457542#Comment_1457542

    He just wants to know what's the point of doing it, aint hard to see, since survivors don't gain anything from it.

    If you had read my other comment then you would know I just wanted to know why it was brought up. And survivors just gain bloodpoints from it

  • You were attempting to antagonize him by implying that he was salty due to a match, anyone with any form of reading comprehension could see this.

  • @LuffyBlack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1457542#Comment_1457542

    You were attempting to antagonize him by implying that he was salty due to a match, anyone with any form of reading comprehension could see this.

    someone else did this too. I just wanted to know if he was salty from a match or if it was something that just crossed his mind. I didnt mean to sound so rude. Sorry if i did

  • @Thatgurl_again said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1459523#Comment_1459523

    someone else did this too. I just wanted to know if he was salty from a match or if it was something that just crossed his mind. I didnt mean to sound so rude. Sorry if i did

    It's cool. Sorry if I misunderstood your intentions and was hostile. That was uncool of me.

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1453925#Comment_1453925

    Looks like someone STILL has not read the post. I was simply looking for an answer to get into the mindset of survivors that do this, since it gives the survivors themselves a disadvantage, and if they didn't know this, I want to help them. Please can you stop talking nonsense?

    Salt..

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1453650#Comment_1453650

    Nah, I've been watching multiple videos and have experienced it myself a lot. it all ends in the survivor being down in less than 10 seconds. I just want to know the mindset behind it.

    Well it doesnt always end that way. Only if you're predictable or stupid. 🤷‍♀️

  • @IcallBS said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1453153#Comment_1453153

    Isn't the game supposed to be fun? Flashlights are in the game so it's a counter. Survivors also can't hit the killer with it. We can only run...

    Both sides whine about everything. Putting all survivors in a pool saying we do it to just be toxic is a bit judgemental on a survival game. Lol

    I do not play toxic in any way. I respect players who respect the game and the players in it. We are all here because the game is awesome. Yet we have a growing toxic community.

    I have experienced plenty of toxic behavior from both sides. Lets face it. There is just a bunch of azzhats out there.

    Fighting in the community does nadda. Instead play right. Support the devs and your dbd community. Positive input leads to more of a success than negative. Js....

    You must have missed the part where I said, because youre locked in an animation, which is why its considered a toxic/scummy play?

    If you dont do it then its not directed at you?

    I run around as a pink bunny stabbing people and giving hatch, I love fun,

  • challenges

    fun

    taking the chance to escape from you

1 2 3