Feedback on Billy Rework - Please Read

Billy in my opinion is one of the few killers in this game that I could point to and say he was perfectly balanced in terms of his power. Playing him to his fullest potential requires skill and game knowledge, he's not a killer that you could just hop on and destroy survivors with mindlessly. Being quite honest, the only time I would consider him overpowered is when it comes to his addon choices, namely insta-saw and tuning guide. Frankly I think I speak on behalf of most billy mains when I say that we would not mind such strong addon combinations getting nerfed.

In the article given to us you guys said "we want to focus on the skill-based gameplay ", I am then confused as to why "insta-saw" is still a thing. Instead you brought us an extremely unattractive new feature, essentially another power gauge that does nothing more than limit our own gameplay. It is especially going to hurt us Billy's who like to mindgame with their chainsaws out revving and going for curves and flicks at certain loops - like before, mindgaming already took a good amount of time to make the survivor overextend to a certain position that he can be curved at, and if you missed/bumped into an object you would lose a lot of time and distance, now with this overheat mechanic Billy is punished even more for it. Like, you're just encouraging Billy players to play way more simple-minded and go for backrevs instead of the more skillful high-risk high-reward mindgames that a lot of us go for.

And no offence, but I'm almost certain this overheat mechanic was introduced just for consistency-sake so that both Bubba and Billy have the same mechanic since they're of course both chainsaw users, I understand why you guys brought it for Bubba (to discourage facecamping with a 99'd chainsaw), however I don't think this feature this be copied and pasted onto Billy. I really hope that the developers see this and reconsider the Billy changes, as I said at the start I think he was in a perfectly fine spot and all that was needed was some addon-adjustments.

Comments

  • I literally don’t understand it. Why do they enjoy ruining fun killers by giving them power bars????

  • @dfrenchiee said:

    I literally don’t understand it. Why do they enjoy ruining fun killers by giving them power bars????

    :)

  • @thrawn3054 said:

    I start by saying I don't play Billy. So I am by no means familiar with the finer points of playing him. From a survivor perspective I see no reason for this change. I always felt Billy was pretty much perfectly balanced. The issues I had with him were insta saw and the chainsaw hitbox felt a bit too generous. If they would have addressed those two things he would have been perfect in my mind.

    I will say I hope they either scrap this change. Or the overheating bar isn't as punishing as it appears. My only bit of optimism is I'm sure there will be some addons to help with the overheating. Either increasing the time it takes to overheat. Or increasing the rate of overheat cool down.

    In short things might not be as bad as they seem. But I see no need for this change.

    Best Case Scenario: They scrap it completely.

    Otherwise, they'd have to tone the overheating down so it's not so limiting and annoying and only happens for those truly unnecessarily long revving (e.g. in the case of facecamping).

  • Unfortunately this is just gonna be Nurse 2.0 and will make Billy feel awful. He'll probably still be a decent killer, but a shadow of his former self. Happened to me with Nurse, and here I am still waiting for them to fix her bugs... Sorry to see it happen to you guys with Billy.

  • @PrinceAshitaka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1411606#Comment_1411606

    Best Case Scenario: They scrap it completely.

    Otherwise, they'd have to tone the overheating down so it's not so limiting and annoying and only happens for those truly unnecessarily long revving (e.g. in the case of facecamping).

    I would prefer they scrap it. But we also don't know what his addons will look like. They may well negate most of our concerns.

  • @thrawn3054 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1412512#Comment_1412512

    I would prefer they scrap it. But we also don't know what his addons will look like. They may well negate most of our concerns.

    Ehhhh. Addons should be there to introduce variety into a killer, not fix the problems in their basekit.

    I like the philosophy of running addons that strengthen what you find weak about a killer but that's completely different to running both CD addons and literally nothing else because they're the only 2 good addons.

  • I dont want anybody to feel offended by my opinion, but man, in what world was Hillbilly at least decently funny to play? Yes, as of 4.0.0 (without those nasty bugs) he is strong. Too strong overall and needed a change? Probably not. He was, to some extent, the image of "balance" in this game. But even with his perfect balance I have never considered HillBilly fun to play as/against. He is a balanced killer for a medium player against medium survivors, but good Hillbillys, oh lord. Downing people like trees with Infectious Fright then and calling it "pressure" is the living proof that this change is 100% needed for the top players of Hillbilly that could make mistake after mistake and STILL catch survivors and kill them because yes, they are good at Ppaying this Character, but this character wasnt getting punished enough for misusing his power and that's why I love the Overheating mechanic. I am waiting for people to disagree saying that there are a lot of mindgames based on the revving mechanic, and adding this overheat change is just overkill. He is a HIGH mobility killer with an insta down!!! No matter the drawbacks these pros cannot be forgotten this easily!!! But at the end of the day, wait for that damn PTB and THEN start giving respectful feedback. No one likes seeing a baby crying over a character in a video game.

  • A lot of us Billy really enjoyed using the engraving addons because it made a lot of curves that were not possible on addonless billy actually possible. Now if we have to also equip addons to prevent our chainsaws from overheating, I don't know but it just seems like an unnecessary headache. Plus I feel like they'll probably have changed addons like Death and Doom Engravings to make the chainsaw heat up faster, that would not surprise me in the slightest. I hope someone like @Peanits could comment and give us a bit more info on what the team is thinking, and if there's any flexibility in either toning down/removing this new overheat mechanic. I want to know does the team understand how high-level billy's play and mindgame with their chainsaws out and revved? I don't want to be linking some Billy "flick" montages to have to give them an idea.

  • The community managers and devs have been radio silent on this so far, where are the responses/acknowledgements?

  • @coppersly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1412553#Comment_1412553

    Ehhhh. Addons should be there to introduce variety into a killer, not fix the problems in their basekit.

    I like the philosophy of running addons that strengthen what you find weak about a killer but that's completely different to running both CD addons and literally nothing else because they're the only 2 good addons.

    Well yes. I'm hoping it won't be that bad.

  • @RuthlessRational said:

    The community managers and devs have been radio silent on this so far, where are the responses/acknowledgements?

    The response: wait for PTB

    If Nurse is anything to go by we're in for a rough time lol.

  • From the video it didn't look that crippling. However I'm not a Billy player. So I could be entirely mistaken.

  • @thrawn3054 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1412630#Comment_1412630

    From the video it didn't look that crippling. However I'm not a Billy player. Do I could be entirely mistaken.

    Personally I'm in the same boat. It didn't look atrocious like Nurse but I suck at Billy hardcore so I'll leave it to the Billy mains to be the final word on it.

  • @coppersly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1412701#Comment_1412701

    Personally I'm in the same boat. It didn't look atrocious like Nurse but I suck at Billy hardcore so I'll leave it to the Billy mains to be the final word on it.

    2 days from now on.

  • Tomorrow is the PTB, I hope people are outspoken enough for the Devs to consider reverting this Billy change.

  • I won't play the PTB. They won't listen to feedback from Billy mains. Only entitled fog whispers and survivors voice will be heard again. The idea that Billy will have a toy saw that overheats around loops in almost no time means I will retire using him. I play games for fun, not to get all stressed out because of limitations.

  • @thrawn3054 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1412630#Comment_1412630

    From the video it didn't look that crippling. However I'm not a Billy player. So I could be entirely mistaken.

    From the video if you just straight hold M2 it's ~25-30% overheat, trying to feather you have ~6-7 total seconds before it overheats, if it overheats you have ~13-16 seconds before you can M2 again. It's a massive nerf and makes Billy's power insanely more 1 dimensional while slowing his mobility.

  • @Throwaway123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1412701#Comment_1412701

    From the video if you just straight hold M2 it's ~25-30% overheat, trying to feather you have ~6-7 total seconds before it overheats, if it overheats you have ~13-16 seconds before you can M2 again. It's a massive nerf and makes Billy's power insanely more 1 dimensional while slowing his mobility.

    Exactly, people are downplaying this nerf so much. Of course we will see first-hand tomorrow but I am not optimistic. I'll use this thread as my feedback for the devs @Peanits @Almo

  • @Sluzzy said:

    I won't play the PTB. They won't listen to feedback from Billy mains. Only entitled fog whispers and survivors voice will be heard again. The idea that Billy will have a toy saw that overheats around loops in almost no time means I will retire using him. I play games for fun, not to get all stressed out because of limitations.

    Yeah disappointed by yet another cooldown power gauge that we have to stare at to use our power. Please even if you don't play the PTB express your feedback and make it clear to the developers that the community thinks this is a bad idea.

  • @Peanits

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1408771#Comment_1408771


    as Peanits said there's still flexibility, so let's use this opportunity to explain why the cooldown is a bad mechanic for Billy.

  • Oh we're still on about this despite the lack of a PTB? Okay.

    Peanits confirmed nothing on the PTB is final. If there's enough uproar then hopefully it will get changed--after nurse im not too positive but oh well.

    But can we please wait for tomorrow before throwing Billy is Over parties or launching nukes at behaviour?

  • @Warcrafter4 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1408610#Comment_1408610

    Yes and last time they pulled a stun like this it as to the nurse and people said the same thing...

    Guess what happened?

    people stop use the nurse so much.

  • The devs don’t care, just look at Nurse. That is Billy’s future. I have 341 Eboni’s on Billy that I plan on using until the changes go live though.

  • Wow...it's worse than I thought it was gonna be....

  • @PrinceAshitaka said:

    Wow...it's worse than I thought it was gonna be....

    Yeah...it looks pretty bad. I was HOPING his cooldown time would be manageable if you dont overheat it fully, but for some reason it actually cools down FASTER if overheated fully.

  • @Cheers said:

    Don't assume something is going to be bad until you try it.

    Don't like it after you try it? You have the right to complain, but wait until you try it.

    We already have the leaked numbers, they're a train wreck:

    • "Overheat" has 100 charges
    • Starts at 0 charges(fairly obvious)
    • Simply TURNING ON THE SAW adds 5 charges
    • While revving, the saw builds 10 charges of heat per second
    • While SPRINTING, the heat builds at 2 charges per second
    • When idle(ie, not using the saw), the heat dissipates at a pathetic 3.5 charges per second
    • If fully overheated, the heat dissipates at 6.6 charges per second.

    What this means is by simply holding the saw for ONE SECOND has a whopping 4 second cooldown, and you still don't get to use it. If you do charge all the way to a sprint, congratulations, you now have to wait 8.5 seconds for the saw to cool, more along the lines of 10-12 after factoring in the sprint. And this is all assuming you don't miss and have to do it all over, or see another survivor trying to come for a save. And if you do end up being unfortunate enough to fully overheat the saw, you become a basic 115% M1 killer for 15 seconds. All of this for a killer that already needed skill to use. All BHVR needed to do was just remove instasaw. That's IT.

  • This is so bad, please revert the changes @McLean @Peanits

1 2 ›