Something to discourage first hook suicide

So I just played a game on Hakwins against Demogorgon. Jake got hooked with 4 gens left and everyone else healthy. A demo left a portal near the hook and left the area. I went for the unhook but before that I wanted to destroy the portal so I start destroying the portal and Jake starts killing himself! And he did. Just because I started destroying active portal with no demo around. So is there anything to do against that? I can't report it because it's not against the rules though I think it's compeletely unsportsmanlike, and I would rather he just disconnected, at least he would have been actually punished for that.

The only thing to prevent it is to play SWF but I only play solo like many others.

Comments

  • Unfortunately, if people want to get out of a match, they're going to find a way to do so. Whether it's suicide on a hook, intentionally losing chases, and so on.

    Not really any way to punish them for it in most cases.

  • I understand but I doing blatantly like that really should punishable. And that was a red rank game, though that guy was rank 5.

  • 1: You were right to destroy the portal first. So demo couldn't come back quickly and tunnel Jake.

    2: Jake was a douche

    3: Rank doesn't mean dick anymore(if it ever did)

    4: I would like some sort of penalty for this ######### but I don't know how they can distinguish between people doing it on purpose and those who can't be saved on their first hook.

  • The only way to distinguish is to actually require a video proof for the report. I am pretty sure video could clearly show something like that. But unfortunately it's not something that can be reported.

  • While I don't encourage killing yourself on first hook and agree that people shouldn't do that, you should have unhooked him first before sealing the portal.

    1. Because 2 people can seal it faster (doing it by yourself actually takes a while)
    2. The Demo I am assuming just left, meaning his ability was on cooldown. If you unhooked the Jake, the Demo would likely ignore it since he's too far away and without power.

    I mean, you even said it yourself. "I started destroying active portal with no Demo around". Unhooking is your first priority, what if the Demo came back before you unhooked Jake?

  • @calem said:

    While I don't encourage killing yourself on first hook and agree that people shouldn't do that, you should have unhooked him first before sealing the portal.

    1. Because 2 people can seal it faster (doing it by yourself actually takes a while)
    2. The Demo I am assuming just left, meaning his ability was on cooldown. If you unhooked the Jake, the Demo would likely ignore it since he's too far away and without power.

    I mean, you even said it yourself. "I started destroying active portal with no Demo around". Unhooking is your first priority, what if the Demo came back before you unhooked Jake?

    His ability wasn't on cooldown though, he didn't teleport away he just put a teleport down. And I am not sure at all that he would have ignored that but by destroying the portal it would have taken him more time to come back. I am pretty sure SAFE unhooking is my first priority. He had no reason to go back since he went away far enough for kindred not to proc.

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    1: You were right to destroy the portal first. So demo couldn't come back quickly and tunnel Jake.

    2: Jake was a douche

    3: Rank doesn't mean dick anymore(if it ever did)

    4: I would like some sort of penalty for this ######### but I don't know how they can distinguish between people doing it on purpose and those who can't be saved on their first hook.

    Yeah number 4 is the real tricky part right there. How do you know it someone who doing it on purpose to avoid say a dc vs someone who is doing it, to say give their team mate the hatch due to being in a bad position that would lead to both of them dying, if they when for then hook?

    @MrCookie said:

    So I just played a game on Hakwins against Demogorgon. Jake got hooked with 4 gens left and everyone else healthy. A demo left a portal near the hook and left the area. I went for the unhook but before that I wanted to destroy the portal so I start destroying the portal and Jake starts killing himself! And he did. Just because I started destroying active portal with no demo around. So is there anything to do against that? I can't report it because it's not against the rules though I think it's compeletely unsportsmanlike, and I would rather he just disconnected, at least he would have been actually punished for that.

    The only thing to prevent it is to play SWF but I only play solo like many others.

    Yeah i seen this more times than i care to count as both a survivor and killer. Like i been in survivor games, where i was the last person left. Not due to being a master looping god or anything. No, everyone else simply kill themselves on their first hook. Than i die or if the killer is feeling very merciful today, they will let me escape. That or the random person who will kill themselves on hook, i place them up there on hook. I clearly start to move away from the hook and they kill themselves. Like after that, the match doesn't feel proper after that. I will hook everyone once for bbq and than just run around chasing people to help give everyone some points. That way they leave the match with a fair amount of points and hopefully get in another game, where they have a full team and can play a proper match .

  • Any state hook suicides suck. I mean yesterday went up against a Huntress. She tunneled this guy, so he of course committed suicide on the second hook instead of staying in the game a little longer. We BARELY got all 5 gens done, and my teammate managed to escape -- but I didn't. I think at least two of us get out if he didn't suicide and instead waited it out (the Huntress proxy camped the whole time, meaning it was totally safe to do gens while someone was on the hook)

  • My post is more about beginning of the game situation. When it hurts the most and makes the least sense. I understand tunneling suicide or non salvagable situation. My point is more about blatant unsportsmanlike behaviour based on tantrums.

  • @Ghostwithaface said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1287222#Comment_1287222

    Yeah number 4 is the real tricky part right there. How do you know it someone who doing it on purpose to avoid say a dc vs someone who is doing it, to say give their team mate the hatch due to being in a bad position that would lead to both of them dying, if they when for then hook?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/153846/something-to-discourage-first-hook-suicide

    Yeah i seen this more times than i care to count as both a survivor and killer. Like i been in survivor games, where i was the last person left. Not due to being a master looping god or anything. No, everyone else simply kill themselves on their first hook. Than i die or if the killer is feeling very merciful today, they will let me escape. That or the random person who will kill themselves on hook, i place them up there on hook. I clearly start to move away from the hook and they kill themselves. Like after that, the match doesn't feel proper after that. I will hook everyone once for bbq and than just run around chasing people to help give everyone some points. That way they leave the match with a fair amount of points and hopefully get in another game, where they have a full team and can play a proper match .

    "How do you know it someone who doing it on purpose to avoid say a dc vs someone who is doing it, to say give their team mate the hatch due to being in a bad position that would lead to both of them dying, if they when for then hook?"

    Generally, the context of the game should make it pretty obvious. Has only a minute or two passed in-match and the person "attempted to escape" straight to phase 2, only to die after one hook? Pretty obvious ragequit. Person is on struggle phase with only one other teammate left? Probably safe to assume the game is lost anyways, and that person letting themself die at that point isn't really an issue.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1287278#Comment_1287278

    "How do you know it someone who doing it on purpose to avoid say a dc vs someone who is doing it, to say give their team mate the hatch due to being in a bad position that would lead to both of them dying, if they when for then hook?"

    Generally, the context of the game should make it pretty obvious. Has only a minute or two passed in-match and the person "attempted to escape" straight to phase 2, only to die after one hook? Pretty obvious ragequit. Person is on struggle phase with only one other teammate left? Probably safe to assume the game is lost anyways, and that person letting themself die at that point isn't really an issue.

    Yeah if the match is recorded and a person is overlooking it. Yeah fair enough. Since i was thinking more along the lines of it being done by a machine, who might have a harder time telling the difference between someone killing themselves on hook for a more legit reason vs simple rage quit.

  • I keep saying that they should shift a lot of the blood points into the struggle phase to encourage people to hold on for as long as possible to give their team the most time to work with even if they know they're dead.

  • @Blueberry said:

    I keep saying that they should shift a lot of the blood points into the struggle phase to encourage people to hold on for as long as possible to give their team the most time to work with even if they know they're dead.

    It makes sense but survivors can't struggle now if they are all in the struggle phase (they just die). Also the survivor that gets killed last also can't struggle. There will be a lof complaining about missed struggle points then.

  • @MrCookie said:

    I understand but I doing blatantly like that really should punishable. And that was a red rank game, though that guy was rank 5.

    Here me out I play on both sides and I have to disagree On that. There shouldn’t be any punishments .It’s the survivors decision not the killers or teammates.A team of three can still win if they think correctly to outsmart the killer. If a survivor decides to kill himself or herself on a hook let him or her do so. I mean some People do it because it’s a killer they don’t like which I completely understand that some consider it not being fair to the rest of the team. But why should we be punished For doing so?. The only time someone should be punished is when they disconnect Purposely during a series of games in a row. And or if The same killer is beyond malicious and ends up in several games with the same survivor(s) targeting them ruining their game experience. When a killer is being very unsportsmanlike going after the same people or person in multiple games then the killer should only be the one with that Penalty timer and not survivors.

  • @Ghostwithaface said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1287333#Comment_1287333

    Yeah if the match is recorded and a person is overlooking it. Yeah fair enough. Since i was thinking more along the lines of it being done by a machine, who might have a harder time telling the difference between someone killing themselves on hook for a more legit reason vs simple rage quit.

    I mean, a machine should be able to tell how long a match has been going, how many Survivors remain, hook phase, etc. etc., no?

  • @NinjaDette1 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1287218#Comment_1287218

    Here me out I play on both sides and I have to disagree On that. There shouldn’t be any punishments .It’s the survivors decision not the killers or teammates.A team of three can still win if they think correctly to outsmart the killer. If a survivor decides to kill himself or herself on a hook let him or her do so. I mean some People do it because it’s a killer they don’t like which I completely understand that some consider it not being fair to the rest of the team. But why should we be punished For doing so?. The only time someone should be punished is when they disconnect Purposely during a series of games in a row. And or if The same killer is beyond malicious and ends up in several games with the same survivor(s) targeting them ruining their game experience. When a killer is being very unsportsmanlike going after the same people or person in multiple games then the killer should only be the one with that Penalty timer and not survivors.

    It doesn't matter if they can or can't win. If you choose to "leave" at the very beginning of the game just because you don't like the killer or for some other silly reason you have to be punished for abandoning other 3 teammates. If you start the game you don't get to abandon your teammates for no reason 1 minute into the game.

  • @NinjaDette1 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1287218#Comment_1287218

    Here me out I play on both sides and I have to disagree On that. There shouldn’t be any punishments .It’s the survivors decision not the killers or teammates.A team of three can still win if they think correctly to outsmart the killer. If a survivor decides to kill himself or herself on a hook let him or her do so. I mean some People do it because it’s a killer they don’t like which I completely understand that some consider it not being fair to the rest of the team. But why should we be punished For doing so?. The only time someone should be punished is when they disconnect Purposely during a series of games in a row. And or if The same killer is beyond malicious and ends up in several games with the same survivor(s) targeting them ruining their game experience. When a killer is being very unsportsmanlike going after the same people or person in multiple games then the killer should only be the one with that Penalty timer and not survivors.

    If abandon your teammates in the beginning for no reason ("I don't like the killer" is a childish reason) you have to be punished. You started the game knowing that you might play against everything. The killer also can't just "suicide on first hook" because he doesn't want to play against SWF, he has to wait for survivors to finish all gens.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1287365#Comment_1287365

    I mean, a machine should be able to tell how long a match has been going, how many Survivors remain, hook phase, etc. etc., no?

    Yeah it could be rather possible for all of that. Of course the machine would also have to take into account certain things. Since well there are certain killers that can snowball really fast, like Billy and Oni. That or everyone dying to a haunted grounds or very poor plays. Leading to everyone on the floor in under a few minutes. Leading to people trying to kobe, only to fail and than well give up, due to things seeming hopeless. So would need to take into account how many survivors are in the dying state as well. Like say if you die on hook, while everyone else is in dying state near the start of the game, like say with in the first five minutes, no punishment.

    That and there also be the classic face camping bubba, that will need to be taken into account. Since some people will kill themselves on hook, due to the killer being a face camping bubba rather than hang in there to give their team mates as much time as possible. So some might take issue with that if the system punishes them for not wanting to play against a face camping bubba. Which could lead to a case of well, punishing everyone no matter if the killer is facecamping or not. Since well camping is not against the rules. so from one point of view it could be seen as legit to punish these who give up super early. That or be coded very well to avoid people escaping punishment by simply killing themselves while the killer is still near the hook, even if the killer is walking away. If we go with the idea, well a face camping bubba does ruin the enjoyment of others and doesn't allow one person to play the video game. So little thing like that would need to be figure out ahead of time. That and lots of testing to make sure it works the proper way. Well if we go down the punishment route. Since we did have the bug of huntress not getting rewarded points for throwing her hatches recently. Survivors/killers getting stuck in pallets. Which both were thankfully fixed. So if some sort of system is added in. Hopefully it works and is not buggy like ghostface's reveal can be at times.

    There is always rewarding the remaining players with blood points, if someone kills themselves on hook early in the match.

  • You start punishing people for playing a game and pretty soon you'll find that people just aren't going to play it any more because games are supposed to be fun, and as punishment isn't fun last time I checked?

    Sometimes I like to gamble with getting myself off the hook, especially if all other survivors are self caring / rubbing gens in the farthest corner of the match why bother waiting round till your inevitable death. Actually trying to do something about it yourself even with such slim odds of what 3 percent chance of escape is better than the nothing you'd have with those gen rubbers.

    No, please don't punish for playing the game.