Why do people try to be toxic?

So earlier I had a match where I was playing the doctor and I thought the match went okay. I didn't kill anyone, but I had fun. And then one of the survivors sent me a party request, and here I am thinking. Oh boy can't wait for them to rub it in my face they beat me, so I joined it for the heck it cause I was gonna tell them good game (cause it really was) and then start saying I'm a 13 year old [Bad word]. I'm just like wth why are they being like this, and they keep trying to get a rise out of me or make angry and I'm just sitting here going this is ridiculous. So I told them good game and said have fun being toxic to other people.


TL:DR

Played as doctor survivors invited me to party after match, and we're complete [Bad Word] about winning.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • That why you shouldn't join unknown parties.

  • @Entity_Hugs said:

    Sadly, allot of people are like this because the TV & Internet raised them; no one ever gave them a good slap upside the head, and they never got popped in the mouth for mouthing off. Since the internet is consequence-free, they just mouth off and no one can stop them.

    I mean, I don't condone child abuse, but I got a good slap when I mouthed off, or my peers in school whupped my butt if I talked trash, and I was made better for it. :P

    Yeah. These guys sounded like they were college frat bros too. Lol

  • @katoptris said:

    That why you shouldn't join unknown parties.

    Meh. I figured I'd be a good sport about things.

  • Always turn off messages and make your profile private when you play this game the community just sucks most of the time. Its a shame because this game is actually really fun but the players definitely aren't

  • They're probably 13-year-old bad words themselves - mentally, if not physically - if they think that's in any way a good use of their time.

    The only people who find it fulfilling to hate on others for no reason are people who probably don't hold themselves in particularly high esteem either. It's pitiable, if anything.

  • some people are just like that, it boosts their ego and makes them feel proud. win or lose when i’m killer sometimes i’ll get party invites too, I just join them to laugh at what they say and move on to make them look dumb.

  • @Fibijean said:

    They're probably 13-year-old bad words themselves - mentally, if not physically - if they think that's in any way a good use of their time.

    The only people who find it fulfilling to hate on others for no reason are people who probably don't hold themselves in particularly high esteem either. It's pitiable, if anything.

    I do pity them. I mean i was rank 5 and they were all red ranks (like 2 or 3s) but it's cool. Just figured I'd post this to tell a story

  • @ATOMIC_ACE_PUGG said:

    Always turn off messages and make your profile private when you play this game the community just sucks most of the time. Its a shame because this game is actually really fun but the players definitely aren't

    Nothing people say after the game really hurt me because I know their either rubbing something in or just mad cause they died

  • @xCarrie said:

    some people are just like that, it boosts their ego and makes them feel proud. win or lose when i’m killer sometimes i’ll get party invites too, I just join them to laugh at what they say and move on to make them look dumb.

    That's pretty much what I did. And I think it made them mad a little bit. Lol

  • @magicmaster2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258441#Comment_1258441

    I do pity them. I mean i was rank 5 and they were all red ranks (like 2 or 3s) but it's cool. Just figured I'd post this to tell a story

    Totally, I'm not ragging on you for posting it or anything. I know how you feel - I once had a Steve who pallet looped me the entire game and only got away with it because I was so bad at playing Nurse. I was rank 11, he was rank 2. After the game he felt the need to boast about it, so I mentioned to him that his strategy is actually a very bad one against a Nurse and he would have been dead in five seconds if I had been a competent player. He didn't want to hear it - apparently the idea of a rank 2 not knowing everything about survivor gameplay is laughable.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258449#Comment_1258449

    Totally, I'm not ragging on you for posting it or anything. I know how you feel - I once had a Steve who pallet looped me the entire game and only got away with it because I was so bad at playing Nurse. I was rank 11, he was rank 2. After the game he felt the need to boast about it, so I mentioned to him that his strategy is actually a very bad one against a Nurse and he would have been dead in five seconds if I had been a competent player. He didn't want to hear it - apparently the idea of a rank 2 not knowing everything about survivor gameplay is laughable.

    The devs have even said rank is only for matchmaking, but even then it still doesn't mean anything.

  • @magicmaster2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258440#Comment_1258440

    Nothing people say after the game really hurt me because I know their either rubbing something in or just mad cause they died

    For me personally I just find them annoying

  • @magicmaster2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258457#Comment_1258457

    The devs have even said rank is only for matchmaking, but even then it still doesn't mean anything.

    It means very little. Apparently, there is a strong statistical correlation between the escape rate and the killer-survivor rank difference, which would suggest that it is some indication of skill, but even the devs admit that the system is flawed in many ways. Personally, I'm rather looking forward to hidden MMR, if only because I'm hoping it will stop people from fixating so completely on their rank.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258465#Comment_1258465

    It means very little. Apparently, there is a strong statistical correlation between the escape rate and the killer-survivor rank difference, which would suggest that it is some indication of skill, but even the devs admit that the system is flawed in many ways. Personally, I'm rather looking forward to hidden MMR, if only because I'm hoping it will stop people from fixating so completely on their rank.

    @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258465#Comment_1258465

    It means very little. Apparently, there is a strong statistical correlation between the escape rate and the killer-survivor rank difference, which would suggest that it is some indication of skill, but even the devs admit that the system is flawed in many ways. Personally, I'm rather looking forward to hidden MMR, if only because I'm hoping it will stop people from fixating so completely on their rank.

    And no one should hate you for your opinion on things like that.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258465#Comment_1258465

    It means very little. Apparently, there is a strong statistical correlation between the escape rate and the killer-survivor rank difference, which would suggest that it is some indication of skill, but even the devs admit that the system is flawed in many ways. Personally, I'm rather looking forward to hidden MMR, if only because I'm hoping it will stop people from fixating so completely on their rank.

    I can't wait for that either it's gonna be so much better

  • Toxicity is something that will always be there in any game people play. No point in discussing it tbh.

  • @zkelvln said:

    Toxicity is something that will always be there in any game people play. No point in discussing it tbh.

    I mean I'm glad people are commenting and discussing it, but this was mainly just to tell a story.

  • These people are what I like to call entitled No0b3 wannabes.

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    These people are what I like to call entitled No0b3 wannabes.

    No0b3 is so amazing and I love his content. Even if it is only a monthly upload

  • @magicmaster2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258538#Comment_1258538

    No0b3 is so amazing and I love his content. Even if it is only a monthly upload

    The thing about No0b3 is he's only "toxic", he's not actually a toxic person. He teabags and clicks flashlights and everything, but it's all in good fun and he's never trying to actually hurt anyone the way these people do.

  • @magicmaster2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258538#Comment_1258538

    No0b3 is so amazing and I love his content. Even if it is only a monthly upload

    He does stream on Twitch often enough if you'd like to watch him more.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258540#Comment_1258540

    The thing about No0b3 is he's only "toxic", he's not actually a toxic person. He teabags and clicks flashlights and everything, but it's all in good fun and he's never trying to actually hurt anyone the way these people do.

    Right and I'd love to play with him. Although he'd probably have to carry me. 😂😂😂

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258540#Comment_1258540

    He does stream on Twitch often enough if you'd like to watch him more.

    I don't watch twitch that much. I guess I'll have to start watching it more

  • @zkelvln said:

    Toxicity is something that will always be there in any game people play. No point in discussing it tbh.

    I would like to introduce you to MW, because holy ######### with that community.

  • Kudos to you for posting this and creating an opening to discuss this.



    Toxic game play IS inevitable and a part of gameplay that , in general, the community can do little (if anything) about.


    Toxic behavior before, during and after gameplay should NEVER be tolerated as "just the way it is". Especially since the fandom and community CAN do something to keep that garbage from becoming the status quo in the community. Turning off messaging, ignoring requests, deleting conversations (or whatever other enabling solutions that have been or will be suggested as a means to deal with this horrible behavior) are NOT going to do anything beyond embolden the ego stroking, immature derriere derbys described here.


    If we want our community (relatively) free of these types; if we want to be able to say "we won't tolerate a toxic fanbase"; if we want our community to be better...we HAVE to talk about it, we HAVE to do our best to shun people like this, we HAVE to strive to be better rather than passively ignore it. Otherwise things cannot and will not get better and eventually those types will take over and completely ruin the game for the rest of us.

  • @zkelvln said:

    Toxicity is something that will always be there in any game people play. No point in discussing it tbh.

    This mentality is why we still discuss race issues 55 years after Integrataion; why women still feel as if they do not have equality, regardless of laws making it so they do; why anyone has to fight to have their voice heard in a society that is in an age wherein the breadth of all knowledge is literally at our fingertips.

    It absolutely IS worth discussing because only by shining a light on these type of scum can we, as a community and society, hope to purge them from our midst. Regardless of where in our society it is.

  • Because they are cowards that hide behind a TV screen. Bullying people where they can't be retaliated against... They're such a joke.

  • They probably have no power in their real lives, so they get a little thrill feeling like they’re “superior” to someone because they beat them in a game. It’s sad but a lot of people are like this.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258540#Comment_1258540

    The thing about No0b3 is he's only "toxic", he's not actually a toxic person. He teabags and clicks flashlights and everything, but it's all in good fun and he's never trying to actually hurt anyone the way these people do.

    I wouldn't even call him (noob3) toxic to be honest. While he does tbag and click once in a while he's never acted like an ass post game as far as I know.

    Therefore he just does it to mess with the killer's focus which is just a legit strategy.

    It's people like those described in this thread (insulting post game, rubbing the win in the killer's face etc) that I would call toxic as it serves absolutely no purpose other than making a complete stranger feel bad despite allowing these toxic people to play the game in the first place.

  • @Yamaoka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258548#Comment_1258548

    I wouldn't even call him (noob3) toxic to be honest. While he does tbag and click once in a while he's never acted like an ass post game as far as I know.

    Therefore he just does it to mess with the killer's focus which is just a legit strategy.

    It's people like those described in this thread (insulting post game, rubbing the win in the killer's face etc) that I would call toxic as it serves absolutely no purpose other than making a complete stranger feel bad despite allowing these toxic people to play the game in the first place.

    Precisely my point!

  • I just had this Lobby

    Survivor #1 - Survivor #2 with flashlight - Survivor #3 - Survivor #4

    Right at 6sec countdown moment, #3 & #4 change the characters with 2 flashlight

    #1 immediately quick the Lobby at 2 sec count down. those #2 #3 #4 standing there, each of them slowly quick the Lobby


    I didnt note & remember the name of Survivor #1, that was the night saver.

  • @magicmaster2020 said:

    So earlier I had a match where I was playing the doctor and I thought the match went okay. I didn't kill anyone, but I had fun. And then one of the survivors sent me a party request, and here I am thinking. Oh boy can't wait for them to rub it in my face they beat me, so I joined it for the heck it cause I was gonna tell them good game (cause it really was) and then start saying I'm a 13 year old [Bad word]. I'm just like wth why are they being like this, and they keep trying to get a rise out of me or make angry and I'm just sitting here going this is ridiculous. So I told them good game and said have fun being toxic to other people.

    TL:DR

    Played as doctor survivors invited me to party after match, and we're complete [Bad Word] about winning.

    I blame early dbd streamers and even current the for popularizing the whole thing(obviously not all of them). The amount of toxic videos that came out even back in the early time of dbd was pretty nuts. People try to emulate this get slapped upside the head by the killer and get mad, going off on them in post chat.

    Clicking the flashlight and such is labelled toxic because that's the way it was used in the beginning samething with giving someone the middle finger. Yes it's a strat to get killers to chase you now, but they chase you cause they find it as if you are giving them the finger otherwise the strat wouldn't work in the first place and they would continue to just smash their original target.

  • It's hard to say why people are toxic, but i think it has to do with the whole "will to power" thing. Like, if you ever feel robbed of your power, you feel compelled to take it back somehow. It's something that we're built to do, until we learn not to, like when we get older and realize that we shouldn't allow certain things to 'rob us' of our power, because eventually we learn that "we're better than that".

    One thing I have noticed though, that was interesting is that ever since the archives launched I've been able to run into people playing as killer and survivor. What I've noticed is that almost every survivor I've seen that's higher ranked as survivor than killer plays in a very toxic way as killer.

  • Acting like that is kinda beyond toxic. That's just outright childish and makes them look like sore winners. Although they probably do message the killer when they lose too. I do, however, participate in general DbD toxicity if the killer camps or tunnels legitimately as its an abuse of the power role. If you camp and tunnel and don't kill me, I'm teabagging you at the exit gate.

  • @AnarKaos said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1258487#Comment_1258487

    This mentality is why we still discuss race issues 55 years after Integrataion; why women still feel as if they do not have equality, regardless of laws making it so they do; why anyone has to fight to have their voice heard in a society that is in an age wherein the breadth of all knowledge is literally at our fingertips.

    It absolutely IS worth discussing because only by shining a light on these type of scum can we, as a community and society, hope to purge them from our midst. Regardless of where in our society it is.

    lmfao are you seriously comparing videogames to real life?

  • @zkelvln said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1259174#Comment_1259174

    lmfao are you seriously comparing videogames to real life?

    Try reading that again. In fact concentrate on the first two words. There's your answer.

  • @zkelvln said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1259174#Comment_1259174

    lmfao are you seriously comparing videogames to real life?

    Not to mention that ANY medium is reflective of real life in *MANY* respects. Especially when one is discussing toxic behavior/mentality/attitude. The type of people who act like OP describes try to be hard and play tough and when called out they pull some variation of the tired garbage argument you're attempting.

  • Honestly, it might be because it's doctor. Now this is just an assumption but if they don't have the best computers / internet, the game becomes incredibly [bad word] when playing against doctor. I have a friend that just doesn't have the money for a good laptop, but he genuinely enjoys the game, yet everytime he plays against doctor he lags the hell out and its just missed skill-check after missed skill-check. It's just that doctor simultaneously has mechanics that make skill checks difficult, AND causes the game to become insanely laggy, which makes skill checks difficult. So it just feels unfair and unfun. And it can very quickly start feeling like the doctor is just a [ bad word ] for picking doctor since most people know how laggy he makes games. I don't mean to say that flaming is okay, cus its not, its just cringy. But playing against doctor without a good set-up would make anybody mad.

  • @Entity_Hugs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1259373#Comment_1259373

    ' I do, however, participate in general DbD toxicity if the killer camps or tunnels legitimately'

    You mean, if the Killer's use a legitimate play style, you act toxic?

    You mean, if the Killer does not play the way YOU want him too (What defines camping and tunneling varies from person to person. There's no set definition or rule to say what it is), you act toxic?

    Good to know you're toxic. Hope I never play against you.

    Lol. If you're that bothered by something so trivial I hope I don't get you as a killer either. 😂 You'd probably write a post about how OP survivors are while bringing a mori and NoED.

  • @Entity_Hugs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1266953#Comment_1266953

    Says Mr 'I Treat Killers Badly If They Don't Play By My Rules'.

    Just by your admission, you're more likely to treat Killers badly while bringing D. Strike and Dead Hard and bodyblocking. You've already admitted you treat Killers bad if they don't do what you want & use your made up rules.

    Your argument is so silly. Lol. So if the Killer gets butthurt because I'm playing the game I want to (AKA Teabagging at the exit gate) that's justified. Lol. Hypocrite. Also I love how you throw in a D-strike jab at the end. Again, an example of a killer being salty because a survivor wants to play the game they want to.

    And for the record, I don't use meta perks regularly. :o)

  • @Entity_Hugs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1266992#Comment_1266992

    You're either stupid, or ignored me.

    I was pointing out that YOU said YOU treat Killer's bad 'if they tunnel legitly'.

    There's no definition to tunneling or camping; it's all garbage Survivors say to excuse their own raving at the end of a match.

    Therefor, YOU treat Killers toxic if they don't play 'your way'. You said so yourself. That makes you toxic.

    Um, no. That was your argument. Lol. Nice try, hypocrite.

  • @AnarKaos said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1265807#Comment_1265807

    Not to mention that ANY medium is reflective of real life in *MANY* respects. Especially when one is discussing toxic behavior/mentality/attitude. The type of people who act like OP describes try to be hard and play tough and when called out they pull some variation of the tired garbage argument you're attempting.

    You CANT stop people from being a$$holes. Even if you change a few peoples perspectives there are still those who enjoy being toxic. Most players dont even check the dbd forum anyways..

  • @Entity_Hugs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1267302#Comment_1267302

    True but devs can punish and band them. Make it clear their toxic attitudes are not welcome in the game.

    Always report toxic players.

    That would just make the dbd player ase smaller than what it already is. There are more toxic survivors than there are killers and that comes from the satisfaction of winning/outplaying. Toxicity is also subjective so dbd would have to add rules(which most arent gonna follow). And i dont think there is any mechanic that would completely end since there are so many ways to be annoying

  • @Entity_Hugs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1259373#Comment_1259373

    Here's your quote AGAIN, dude.

    'I do, however, participate in general DbD toxicity if the killer camps or tunnels legitimately as its an abuse of the power role'

    Do I need to get out the highlighter and little stickers for you? You admitted, right there, that you treat Killers toxic if YOU THINK THEY TUNNELED.

    Tunneling is purely subjective, so YOU ACT TOXIC, if you THINK (I'm sure you never heard those two words together before) SOMEONE HAS DONE SOMETHING YOU, SUBJECTIVELY, DON'T LIKE.

    Therefor, you are a toxic, horrible player and I hope your actions in game get you banned.

    Riiiiiiiiight. Uh huh. Yup. You're absolutely right.

  • @zkelvln said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1267310#Comment_1267310

    That would just make the dbd player ase smaller than what it already is. There are more toxic survivors than there are killers and that comes from the satisfaction of winning/outplaying. Toxicity is also subjective so dbd would have to add rules(which most arent gonna follow). And i dont think there is any mechanic that would completely end since there are so many ways to be annoying

    It's small precisely because new players are turned away by the toxicity, leaving only those who can ignore it and those who cause it. If the latter were to go away, DbD's base could actually grow.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1267318#Comment_1267318

    It's small precisely because new players are turned away by the toxicity, leaving only those who can ignore it and those who cause it. If the latter were to go away, DbD's base could actually grow.

    Id say its mostly new killers that are considered toxic because they prioritize killing over generators (leading to facecamp/tunneling because they think thats how this game works) while versing also new survivors who have no idea what to do in these situations. When both parties are experienced the toxicity is more survivor sided because they understand how survivor sided this game can be so they exploit good maps, loops, killer’s weaknesses, gen rushing, etc.. while killers have no time to be toxic because they know experienced survivors will just genrush if they tunneling/camping and bring DS, unbreakable, BT. This is where the number of killers decrease (Aka 10min survivor queues) as they realize they cant use the same tactics in high ranks or else they wont rank. It takes a whole lot more skills to become a good killer than a survivor and this is where they get turned off.

  • @zkelvln said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1267335#Comment_1267335

    Id say its mostly new killers that are considered toxic because they prioritize killing over generators (leading to facecamp/tunneling because they think thats how this game works) while versing also new survivors who have no idea what to do in these situations. When both parties are experienced the toxicity is more survivor sided because they understand how survivor sided this game can be so they exploit good maps, loops, killer’s weaknesses, gen rushing, etc.. while killers have no time to be toxic because they know experienced survivors will just genrush if they tunneling/camping and bring DS, unbreakable, BT. This is where the number of killers decrease (Aka 10min survivor queues) as they realize they cant use the same tactics in high ranks or else they wont rank. It takes a whole lot more skills to become a good killer than a survivor and this is where they get turned off.

    So why are survivor queues much, much longer than killer queues? Because it sure as ######### ain't due to a lack of survivors.

  • Because this is the only way people like this can communicate. They think being nice is weak and uncool.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1267353#Comment_1267353

    So why are survivor queues much, much longer than killer queues? Because it sure as ######### ain't due to a lack of survivors.

    I literally explained it in that reply my guy. Too many survivors and less killers because this game becomes SURVIVOR SIDED. There arent many killers around so it takes them 10 seconds to find a match against survivors waiting 10 minutes to find a killer since there are so little.

‹ 1 2