Hooking is a waste of time

For the last few days playing only Deathslinger I've noticed how hooking survivors can lose me so much time. Most of those games even if my shots were on point, I just lost all gens because time to hook a survivor caused me not to be patroling gens thus not beiing able to pressure game overall enough to make those fast early hook into death hooks. Whenever I tried to do something to slow the game down besides hooking (a few slugs or punishing bad saves) I just got DSed or Unbreakabled so that didn't work.

So I've decided to go full on slugging and never hook anyone unless everyone goes down. Even when I lose either because I missed too many times/made bad decisions I still enjoy the matches far more since I have more chases overall. I'll probably get bored of full slugs eventually but for the time beiing I just can't play normally since whenever I try to capitalise on survior's mistakes, their perks rekt me.

Kinda wish that we could play some side gamemode where neither side gets any perks/addons/items.

Comments

  • Your perks were.....

    Your add-ons were.....

    There's some missing info. A lot of perks capitalize on hooking.

  • *cries in Pop Goes the Wiesel*

  • In all seriousness though, you just need to practise. You can still win a match regardless of what the survivors perks are. You win some. You lose some. It’s just how it is. However, hooking is definitely not useless. If all the gens are popping before you get your first down, that just means you need to get better at chasing / downing. But that’ll come with time. Just don’t give up or you’ll never improve. This was a match I had last night against some of those perks you mentioned. This isn’t to brag, it’s just to show you that matches with perks like those are still winnable.

    655C4378-230E-4101-81E5-5B0FE2815DE4.jpeg


  • @Tactless_Ninja said:

    Your perks were.....

    Your add-ons were.....

    There's some missing info. A lot of perks capitalize on hooking.

    Well I don't speak about 1-2 games but about results of several games over a few days. But if you need to know what I used the most then it would be STBFL, PGTW, sloppy and monitor. I don't use addons almost never unless I take BP offering which I almost didn't.

    It doesn't matter really, against good survivors most of the time when I hooked someone and tried to pop a gen that was crusial to win I never managed to get there in time. I understand that I probably could have played better those games but overall I just got tired of having to manage all the perks survivors have that prevent me from capitalizing on their mistakes. With slugging I at least have to worry only about unbreakable which I don't mind since chases are all I want when I play like that.

  • I know what you mean. Hooking seems to benefit survivors more than it does me, 'cause they get to run up and get the quick save after I've spent all that time picking up and carrying someone to a hook. Naw, it makes for a more fast-paced match to put someone on the ground and immediately move on to another survivor. It puts more pressure on them to slug. Rather than me wasting my time getting them to a hook so they can get a two-second save (or Deliverance off) and possibly have 60 seconds of immunity to work on a gen or make a save in my face, survivors have to waste their time with recovering.

  • @TheLastGreatStar said:

    In all seriousness though, you just need to practise. You can still win a match regardless of what the survivors perks are. You win some. You lose some. It’s just how it is. However, hooking is definitely not useless. If all the gens are popping before you get your first down, that just means you need to get better at chasing / downing. But that’ll come with time. Just don’t give up or you’ll never improve. This was a match I had last night against some of those perks you mentioned. This isn’t to brag, it’s just to show you that matches with perks like those are still winnable.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/797/HRS1H8L1O4FC.jpeg

    I know what you mean and I'm not saying that I'm losing all the time on the contrary. My shots can be spot on already a lot of the time and I win decent portion of games I play, probably around 60%. Yet I realise that I won those games only because surviors sucked. Litterally, when I play good surviors with meta perks who loop and gen pressure well then hooking feeling like wasted time.

    Improving is also the reason why I started to purely slug. With hooking I lose a lot of time that could be spent in chases or protecting gens thus improving my gameplay. Slugging allows me to get a lot more chases before gens pop so right now it's just more fun.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    I know what you mean. Hooking seems to benefit survivors more than it does me, 'cause they get to run up and get the quick save after I've spent all that time picking up and carrying someone to a hook. Naw, it makes for a more fast-paced match to put someone on the ground and immediately move on to another survivor. It puts more pressure on them to slug. Rather than me wasting my time getting them to a hook so they can get a two-second save (or Deliverance off) and possibly have 60 seconds of immunity to work on a gen or make a save in my face, survivors have to waste their time with recovering.

    Exactly, if I do too well I get punished. Since there is not HUD that tells me who I hooked last I don't really pay mind to which survior was hooked last and because of that I sometimes just randomly down several people in succession waste time bringing them to hooks and stuff and then randomly get struck by DS. That is the worst kind of feeling, especially when it happens twice in one game as It did to me a few times during those days playing Deathslinger.

  • @Kebek said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1162291#Comment_1162291

    I know what you mean and I'm not saying that I'm losing all the time on the contrary. My shots can be spot on already a lot of the time and I win decent portion of games I play, probably around 60%. Yet I realise that I won those games only because surviors sucked. Litterally, when I play good surviors with meta perks who loop and gen pressure well then hooking feeling like wasted time.

    Improving is also the reason why I started to purely slug. With hooking I lose a lot of time that could be spent in chases or protecting gens thus improving my gameplay. Slugging allows me to get a lot more chases before gens pop so right now it's just more fun.

    I mean, slugging is a viable tactic too. As it definitely gets people off gens. But sometimes no matter what you do the gens will pop. It can depend on the team, the map etc. The screen-cap I posted of my 32K was from yesterday. On that same day I also had a match where I only hooked one person before the gens were done. As I just couldn’t find anybody or pressurise the gens as the map was too big. It just happens sometimes. Have you tried experimenting with killers too? As some of them just don’t work for me. Whereas others like Deathslinger do.

  • @TheLastGreatStar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1162307#Comment_1162307

    I mean, slugging is a viable tactic too. As it definitely gets people off gens. But sometimes no matter what you do the gens will pop. It can depend on the team, the map etc. The screen-cap I posted of my 32K was from yesterday. On that same day I also had a match where I only hooked one person before the gens were done. As I just couldn’t find anybody or pressurise the gens as the map was too big. It just happens sometimes. Have you tried experimenting with killers too? As some of them just don’t work for me. Whereas others like Deathslinger do.

    Sure I know that sometimes it feels like it's inevitable to stop gens poping left and right. We can't always have good maps with perfect early, mid and late game. But whenver I get those 6-8 min game it leaves my with bad taste in my mouth that I didn't almost get a chance to improve my aim in chases before everyone leaves. And yeah I play almost all killers but it's the same thing. If you get good survivors and bad map you're not allowed to play any less then perfectly. That's probably why I started to play a lot more survivor lately. It's just less demanding and you can use meme builds without having to worry that you're lowering your chaces of winning as much as when you use meme builds as killer.

  • Hooks aren’t a waste of time. Hooks are the entire point of the killer. The more hooks to please the entity, the better your score. Killing is a secondary activity, and killing everyone on first hook may be technically a “win”, but it ain’t going to give you much in return. You can please the entity with no kills if you have a lot of hooks and you can displease it with a quick 4K. There’s no point in slowing down gens if you’re not going to try to hook, too. You’re only delaying your inevitable loss.

  • @Kebek said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1162282#Comment_1162282

    Well I don't speak about 1-2 games but about results of several games over a few days. But if you need to know what I used the most then it would be STBFL, PGTW, sloppy and monitor. I don't use addons almost never unless I take BP offering which I almost didn't.

    It doesn't matter really, against good survivors most of the time when I hooked someone and tried to pop a gen that was crusial to win I never managed to get there in time. I understand that I probably could have played better those games but overall I just got tired of having to manage all the perks survivors have that prevent me from capitalizing on their mistakes. With slugging I at least have to worry only about unbreakable which I don't mind since chases are all I want when I play like that.

    Ruin is still viable if you can consistently scare them away. Works with his base perks Dead Mans Switch and Retribution.

    Or if you want to keep your low TR, Furtive Chase could come in handy instead of M&A. Monitor is only good for the surprise phase.

    If you don't switch up your build, you won't know what you can do.

  • Can't perform 12 hooks? Just do 4. Snowballing/4 man slugging is the main meta for killers now. Simple and sucks.

  • @TheLastGreatStar said:

    In all seriousness though, you just need to practise. You can still win a match regardless of what the survivors perks are. You win some. You lose some. It’s just how it is. However, hooking is definitely not useless. If all the gens are popping before you get your first down, that just means you need to get better at chasing / downing. But that’ll come with time. Just don’t give up or you’ll never improve. This was a match I had last night against some of those perks you mentioned. This isn’t to brag, it’s just to show you that matches with perks like those are still winnable.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/797/HRS1H8L1O4FC.jpeg

    A fellow console slinger. Still learning, any good console specific tips?

  • @Tactless_Ninja said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1162296#Comment_1162296

    Ruin is still viable if you can consistently scare them away. Works with his base perks Dead Mans Switch and Retribution.

    Or if you want to keep your low TR, Furtive Chase could come in handy instead of M&A. Monitor is only good for the surprise phase.

    If you don't switch up your build, you won't know what you can do.

    Tbh I don't think any perks can help all that much if you face 4 good survivors. Unless you do pretty much 0 mistakes against them and pressure gens perfectly, perks won't make that much difference. As I said, I'll just improve my aim via more chases due to slugging and when I feel that I'm more precise then I'll start hooking again to see if I can keep up with good survivors.

  • @Kebek said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1162291#Comment_1162291

    I know what you mean and I'm not saying that I'm losing all the time on the contrary. My shots can be spot on already a lot of the time and I win decent portion of games I play, probably around 60%. Yet I realise that I won those games only because surviors sucked. Litterally, when I play good surviors with meta perks who loop and gen pressure well then hooking feeling like wasted time.

    Improving is also the reason why I started to purely slug. With hooking I lose a lot of time that could be spent in chases or protecting gens thus improving my gameplay. Slugging allows me to get a lot more chases before gens pop so right now it's just more fun.

    Just a dumb question but when a match starts how can you tell if they are gonna be good survivors or potatoes? I only ask because if they are potatoes slugging them is even less fun because overall the game is over in minutes then. I am not saying do not play your way but you are only slugging because you are having some games with really good survivors and then when you get the bad ones the poor survivors do not stand a chance then. =( I just play and if I lose I lose and if I get a kill okay too. =) lol

  • @TheLastGreatStar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1162307#Comment_1162307

    I mean, slugging is a viable tactic too. As it definitely gets people off gens. But sometimes no matter what you do the gens will pop. It can depend on the team, the map etc. The screen-cap I posted of my 32K was from yesterday. On that same day I also had a match where I only hooked one person before the gens were done. As I just couldn’t find anybody or pressurise the gens as the map was too big. It just happens sometimes. Have you tried experimenting with killers too? As some of them just don’t work for me. Whereas others like Deathslinger do.

    I agree to this comment. There is some killers I just flat out cannot use because I am lucky if I even stab one let alone get a hook. Then there are others that I can get at least 2 or 3 survivors dead and it feels good. It took some time learning this but it can be done. I have learned as a killer the best thing to do is pressure the survivors to pop the gens you want and make them corner themselves. That way the last few gens are so close together you are bound to get someone.

  • Slugging is and always will be better than hooking. Slugging does everything that hooking a survivor does, and the survivors have less utility to optimize off of it.

    The people coming in here trying to discourage killers from slugging saying they just "need to get better" or "you have so many perks that work off hooking" is simply trying to force Killers to play in a way that is only better for the survivors. People with common sense know to ignore those lies.

    The only reason why Killers are not slugging you all of the time is because Killers actually care if the survivors have fun. Stop being mean to killers. Start treating them with respect. They are people too.

  • @Wylesong said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1162307#Comment_1162307

    Just a dumb question but when a match starts how can you tell if they are gonna be good survivors or potatoes? I only ask because if they are potatoes slugging them is even less fun because overall the game is over in minutes then. I am not saying do not play your way but you are only slugging because you are having some games with really good survivors and then when you get the bad ones the poor survivors do not stand a chance then. =( I just play and if I lose I lose and if I get a kill okay too. =) lol

    Tbh I'm sorry for survivors I decimate too hard but that's really much more ranking's fault then mine. I expect to get good surviors on rank 1 so I play as well as I can as should they. Sometimes I if I wreck them too hard and I feel like game's gonna end too early I'll give them some breathing space and leave the are where I slugged last 2-3.

  • @Kebek said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1162481#Comment_1162481

    Tbh I'm sorry for survivors I decimate too hard but that's really much more ranking's fault then mine. I expect to get good surviors on rank 1 so I play as well as I can as should they. Sometimes I if I wreck them too hard and I feel like game's gonna end too early I'll give them some breathing space and leave the are where I slugged last 2-3.

    I agree this rank system is still pretty broken. It is probably weird at rank 1 to still be getting potatoes but I have seen potatoes even in purple ranks because they piggyback on others sadly. lol

    I say keep doing what works for you. As long as you are having fun. =)

  • @Nurgling7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1162392#Comment_1162392

    Blocked gens dont regress. Ruin has no synergy with Dead Man's Switch.

    Nice data. Can tell where you get it, please?