When is it okay to camp a hook?

As a survivor I despise being camped as it sucks the fun out of the game. Now, as killer, I’ve found it hard not to semi-camp when there’s 1-2 gens left.

Ive been playing hag and after hooking someone, I’ll place a trap and then sort of patrol the gens in proximity so I can teleport back. I’m not super campy, but it dawned on me today I could be called a camper. Keep in mind I only do this towards end game.

So, do you camp? When is it acceptable to camp a survivor in your opinion?

Tagged: Dev

Comments

  • I try to only camp when the gates are open to secure my kill or if survivors are swarming the hook to save.

  • Strictly speaking, it's always okay to camp. Any time, any map, any killer. However, unless the gates are opened and unless the team of survivors is filled with dunce nerds, it will hurt you in the long run.

    But as per the thread title - it's always okay. People don't like it, but it's always okay.

  • @arslaN said:

    I try to only camp when the gates are open to secure my kill or if survivors are swarming the hook to save.

    Yes I get a lot of hook rushing by overly altruistic survivors. I don’t get it.

  • Camping is always acceptable as it doesn't break any rules. However it is a poor strategy that will be countered by smart survivors. Proxy camping is very effective, though. Especially if you have someone in the basement or in an area of the map you're defending. I don't blame killers for camping, though I agree it's incredibly annoying when they do it early on in the match.

  • @The_Second_Coming said:

    Strictly speaking, it's always okay to camp. Any time, any map, any killer. However, unless the gates are opened and unless the team of survivors is filled with dunce nerds, it will hurt you in the long run.

    But as per the thread title - it's always okay. People don't like it, but it's always okay.

    I agree. I’ve fallen prey to the killer types who get their first hook and stand there taunting while all gens get done.


    I only tend to get campy at end game or with one gen left, especially if the survivors swarm the rescue.

  • You can camp whenever you want. It's not always a good strategy, but it's never against the rules.

    Camping becomes about the only thing a killer can do if all the gens are done. Once the exit gates are powered, if someone's on a hook, there's really no reason for the killer to walk away unless they want that survivor to be rescued.

    Hag is basically made for camping hooks. With MYC it's even better.

  • I camp when the gens are done and I have no kills. I proxy camp as hag any time I play her, it's the most optimal way.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    You can camp whenever you want. It's not always a good strategy, but it's never against the rules.

    Camping becomes about the only thing a killer can do if all the gens are done. Once the exit gates are powered, if someone's on a hook, there's really no reason for the killer to walk away unless they want that survivor to be rescued.

    Hag is basically made for camping hooks. With MYC it's even better.

    Yeah I can’t wait to get myc. I’m coming off a survivor main career of 8 months here and just started killer a week ago. I started with hag for ruin, and just unlocked teachables today after work. Double blood points couldn’t come at a better time.

    1. If you see scratch marks or you know somebody is super close
    2. If gates are open or basically you won't be able to keep them closed. (95% of the time)
    3. If they were especially trying to bm you and be toxic and you wanna return the favor. (5>% of the time)

    Also survivors will always find some stupid reason to talk ######### when they die, lol. I got called tunneler recently because injured survivor were just ignoring my terror radius and just running around and when I go for them instead the healed guy next to a good loop it makes me tunneler. Smh

  • Camp when you feel it is needed. It really is as simple as that. For me, its situation based whether I camp or not.

    I hook and all remaining survivors swarm the hook, guess what, I am staying put. All gens popped, I am camping. If survivors have shown they are way too altruistic, I am patrol camping.

    If you are just playing for fun and not worried about 4k or pipping, and just want to play, dont camp at all. There are times I just like to goof off as killer, those times I never camp.

    I guess in the end, just play how you want and have fun.

  • IMO, the best times to do it are when Survivors are clearly hawking around the hook or once the Exit Gates are powered.

  • You can be called a camper for anything. There is no semi camping or proximity camping or any other bs term people use. Either the person camping or there not.

    If the killer is patrolling gens they aren't camping. If the killer sees scratch marks at the hook most likely there is another survivor waiting to unhook if you stay that's not camping.

    Some survivors will cry about this things saying it's camping it's not.

  • It is ok to camp the hook "any time you feel like it".

    Will you be looked down upon by your adversaries? Possibly; but it's still your choice as the Killer.

    Often it's not a good idea, but that wasn't the question. :)

  • @venom12784 said:

    You can be called a camper for anything. There is no semi camping or proximity camping or any other bs term people use. Either the person camping or there not.

    If the killer is patrolling gens they aren't camping. If the killer sees scratch marks at the hook most likely there is another survivor waiting to unhook if you stay that's not camping.

    Some survivors will cry about this things saying it's camping it's not.

    Okay that makes me feel better.

  • I camped Jane to death once; I'll explain why.

    It wasn't really my intention to camp anyone to death, but this is what was happening through my mind:

    1:40 I pick up jane to hook her.

    1:49 I see Kate working on a gen while I'm heading to a hook, so now I know a survivor is near the hook.

    1:59 I hook Jane between two gens that were being worked on.

    2:02 Another gen that is nearby explodes, so I thought that maybe not only Kate was around.

    2:13 I proceed to do a quick patrol on the gens to damage them and to see if they were tapped in order to know if someone is still around.

    2:27 Ruin gets cleansed (it was nearby), so now I know someone is still around.

    2:33 I decide to do a last quick patrol on gens to make sure nobody taps them.

    2:55 I realize that by this time Jane is about to enter the second stage of the sacrifice, so I stay there to make sure she does; I also see stratch marks so I know someone is trying to go for the save, but I'm not planning on letting her go until she enters the second stage of the sacrifice.

    3:05 She enters the second stage of the sacrifice.

    3:07 I see David and attempt to chase him; I have this rule; if I don't get a hit or a pallet drop I stop the chase. So I drop the chase with him, because he vaults through a window.

    3:11 I return to the hook to check if someone else goes for the save to get a free hit.

    3:16 I listen someone tap the gen, so I know someone is still around. I decide to bait the unhook to get a free hit, but the survivor doesn't fall for it.

    3:32 I see Jake and decide to chase him, I hit him.

    3:37 I notice Jane is about to get sacrificed, so I decide to camp the hook until she is dead.

    3:43 Jane dies.

    Everyone else died on that match.

    So, I guess I only camp when I hook someone near gens that are being worked on and when I have a clear indication that survivors are still around the hook; tapping the gens, leaving sratchmarks.

  • I'll camp the last survivor after the gates are open if I know I can't get another down. If they gen rush in the beginning of the game instead of going for a rescue I'll go back to the hook and make sure the person hits struggle. Other then that I just play normally. Hag is pretty much designed as a campy killer, it's not even about playstyle.

  • Only time I camp (more of a patrol) is if the exit gates are powered or if I know there's a survivor nearby

  • When it comes down to it, you can camp whenever you want.

    When it comes to camping during end game in particular it's more commonly "understandable" to a lot of people than any other time though. Even if you just want more points and not too worried about sacrifices it makes sense to at the very least "proxy camp" so you can try to take hook trades to prolong the game at that point.

  • Its very situational- but know that regardless of your reasoning, even if its 100% valid, youll probably get flamed for it. Even if they rush the hook and keep dying to it.

  • In terms of gameplay you only do it usually when they are being overly altruistic, or if they are all pretty much still alive and the gates are up or about to go up. Sometimes someone with

    Anything beyond that is usually just done out of spite, maybe with the exception of if you leave the hook and finally come back and they are like almost into second stage or dead cause no one came for them- at that point you may as well camp for like 3 seconds or so and then move on, to make sure it is secured.

    Now from a survivor standpoint, if you exist in the map at all, you are a camping tunneling no skill loser lol.

  • I dont camp the hook at all and try to avoid tunneling. Infact I run powerhouse perks such as Enduring, Clown-Phobia, Spirit furry or bamboozYAH and thana. It is a good set of perks for chases and pallet loops. really a fun thing to do!

  • @InnCognito said:

    I dont camp the hook at all and try to avoid tunneling. Infact I run powerhouse perks such as Enduring, Clown-Phobia, Spirit furry or bamboozYAH and thana. It is a good set of perks for chases and pallet loops. really a fun thing to do!

    Haha my first killer I’ve leveled to teachable perks has Been hag so I don’t have any perks outside hers. I used to only play survivor so any shrine or blood points was used on survivor stuff. Looking back I wish I bought a few killer perks.