Ghost Face is Broken on a Fundamental Level

I need to air my frustration. I realize nothing will come of this, but it will at least let me feel a little better to vent this out.

The following does NOT take into account any add-ons; this is strictly speaking about Killers' base abilities.

All stealth Killers have some semblance of a "draw back" while they're in stealth.

  • The Wraith must ring his bell to de-cloak before he can attack. During the de-cloaking, his speed slows and a bell rings to give the Survivors a moment to react.
  • The Shape cannot lunge or reach any level of bloodlust while in Tier I of The Evil Within, to balance the lack of a red stain and virtually no terror radius.
  • The Pig has reduced speed while in stealth and squeals before her lunge attack, or an audio cue of her weapon unsheathing will happen if she goes out of stealth, giving Survivors a moment to react.

Then we get to Ghost Face:

  • While in stealth, Ghost Face has no red stain or heartbeat, maintains regular movement speed, and can instantly attack you while in stealth; there is no "cool down" or momentary "pause" before he attacks in stealth mode to give the Survivors' a moment to react.

I personally feel this fundamentally breaks core mechanics of the game. The terror radius and red stain are the two primary indicators to let a Survivor know when/where a Killer is, to react accordingly.

Stealth Killers negate these fundamental mechanics of the game by design--which is totally fine--as there is a "draw back" to coming out of their stealth abilities (see above). But Ghost Face breaks all these design philosophies to a fault.

There's a lot of balancing issues with this game, I know, and some are arguably more important to address before others, but man... Ghost Face, to me, is just beyond frustrating to play against in the grand scheme of things.

Now that I got that off my chest: I love DBD and the dev staff. I admire how far you've come with this game and grown as a team/studio. <3

Comments

  • Sounds like you are just poo poo against Ghostface. Tears won't make you a better player mate.

  • @Rin_is_my_waifu said:

    Have you ever considered to use your eyes or run this perk, instead of crying here?

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/565/AE9YI57RKXQV.jpg

    Uhh, excuse u!

    I want my Adrenaline, Borrowed Time, Dead Hard and Decisive Strike. I refuse to use any other perk, so I cry instead and demand changes to killers ofc!

  • Ghostface has a far longer cool-down on his stealth than any other Killer. He also gains no extra powers while stealthed beyond the ability to stalk: Wraith moves faster and gets a burst of speed when he decloaks, Pig gets an extended lunge that can be used for pallet mindgames, and Myers' stealth is essentially permanent as he has a smaller Terror Radius constantly. Myers can also effectively 99% a stalk with zero warning unlike Ghostface who has to 99% the specific Survivor he wants to instadown. Myers can also stalk midchase while Ghostface has to be stealthy.

    The reason Ghostface has the "best" stealth ability in the game is because it has a very long cool-down and some of the easiest counterplay in the game when compared to other stealth abilities. I know "just look at him lol" is a meme from back in his PTB days but... just look at him lol.

    The only complaint I have with Ghostface is that his reveal "hitbox" (like all hitboxes in this game) is very buggy. With some work on that he'd probably be one of the better balanced Killers in the game. Yeah his addons need work too but that's another discussion.

  • Ever heard of spine chill?? It's one of the most underrated perks and actually the best hard counter against stealth killers.

  • @Rin_is_my_waifu said:

    Have you ever considered to use your eyes or run this perk, instead of crying here?

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/565/AE9YI57RKXQV.jpg

    Im glad someone understands my frustration i literally made a post about ghostface being op for this same reason a few days ago saying the same ######### i dont want him nerfed but i still hate playing against him because its just free hits all day @Ratio

  • Is he OP? No.

    Do they need to fix the reveal mechanic? Yes.

    And ######### those people saying that stalking ia not worth it, do they even play GF at all? Obviously sometimes its better to go for a hit/grab rather than a stalk, but leaning from a cover while stalking takes so little time that you don't lose anything trying. Obviously it depends on the map and the kind of survivors you're going against.

    But again, saying his ability is not worth it is wrong IMO, I've gotten a lot of marked stabs and sometimes its better to go for those considering grabs have been broken since ever.

  • @Rin_is_my_waifu said:

    Have you ever considered to use your eyes or run this perk, instead of crying here?

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/565/AE9YI57RKXQV.jpg

    said the criest crier

  • This content has been removed.
  • Hahaha best post iv seen, crying about underwhelming killer using his power in better way then what was intended/ because intended way was awful.

    Here a simple solution be more aware of your surroundings it that simple if your watching he cant sneak up on you.

    Not to mention the moment u spot him u can break him out (even tho its not constant).

  • i bet they are gonna attempt to get the scream rights in a year or 2 from now and rework ghostface as he was in the movie, like they did with freddy. just get a weaker base stealth and add a random mechanic

  • Unless your big brain and look around if you don't hear a heartbeat but if your in an inside map with alot of corners then I agree with you

  • @SupaSlay3r20 said:

    The main difference with ghostface is that he can be taken out of stealth, and it has a decently long cooldown. Ghostface also has to be in stealth to have access to his main power (stalking). Pig and Myers have abilities other than their stealth, with pig having RBTs and Myers having EW3.

    But doesn't taking him out of his stealth reveal your location to him? Most of the time, Ghostface finds me because I found him. I find that incredibly frustrating that I reveal my location by looking around the map. Not to mention 50-60% of my games every time I play are Ghostface and I'm so bored I'm playing the game less and less.

  • @RekNakkk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/873469#Comment_873469

    aNd yOu CaN uSe iRoN wIlL 2 cOunTEr teh SpRit aSwELl St0p crYiNg.

    Stfu we shouldnt be forced to run a perk to counter a certain killer that we may or may not get.

    Hey look what I found. A photo of you as survivor

    IMG_20191129_091833.jpg


  • @Ratio said:

    He does have an audio with him when in stealth, which is his robes making noise.

    Very true. But more often than not ,the sounds of a generator or fire barrel drown out the noise.

    Have you ever considered to use your eyes

    Do you have x-ray vision or something to see him around the corner of a wall with just your eyes while you're working on a gen next to said corner? No? Got it.

    You actually do have the x-ray vision you just described. A 3rd person camera allows you to see around a corner you are next to, which is the exact scenario you named.

    So the answer to your question is no joke a straight yes.

  • @RekNakkk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/873469#Comment_873469

    aNd yOu CaN uSe iRoN wIlL 2 cOunTEr teh SpRit aSwELl St0p crYiNg.

    Stfu we shouldnt be forced to run a perk to counter a certain killer that we may or may not get.

    You aren't forced to run anything, and iron will and spine chill are good perks against almost any killer.

  • @I_Eat_Worms said:

    i bet they are gonna attempt to get the scream rights in a year or 2 from now and rework ghostface as he was in the movie, like they did with freddy. just get a weaker base stealth and add a random mechanic

    That wouldn't make sense, because this Ghost Face is not of any relation to the Scream franchise whatsoever. The Ghost Face license is owned by the people who created him: Fun World.

  • And that's why ghostface it's on bigger tier devs right now are doing new killers according players lvl just think about it which killer with more than 2 years old its on top tier that didn't had a rework? None becuz they all have a warning despite it doesnt down one hit.

    People don't use ambush hit with pig unless it's a loop. Ambush hit should instadown. You have a audio signal.

    The wraith should be invisible like spirit and ring bell when uncloaking both travel trough spirit real but wraith is visible

    Now killers are being killers not M1 jokes

  • Honestly, the worst part about ghostface is his reveal mechanic. He could be behind a wall and get revealed, and then he could also be right in front of your character and not be revealed

  • This content has been removed.
  • I agree, he's broken. Just been in a match and because I can't tell he's coming dead. I mean cmon, if you put gennys that are in builders or near walls how we suppose to see a killer coming.


    This character should come with some sort of warning because it's unfair we can't hear a damn thing

  • @AnnoyedAtTheGame said:

    I agree, he's broken. Just been in a match and because I can't tell he's coming dead. I mean cmon, if you put gennys that are in builders or near walls how we suppose to see a killer coming.

    This character should come with some sort of warning because it's unfair we can't hear a damn thing

    He did have a warning in the PTB for him, it was removed as it made him incredibly easy to beat, along side the 1 second reveal


    Outside the PTB, you can hear a loud bag of chips while playing against him

  • @Ratio said:

    I need to air my frustration. I realize nothing will come of this, but it will at least let me feel a little better to vent this out.

    The following does NOT take into account any add-ons; this is strictly speaking about Killers' base abilities.

    All stealth Killers have some semblance of a "draw back" while they're in stealth.

    • The Wraith must ring his bell to de-cloak before he can attack. During the de-cloaking, his speed slows and a bell rings to give the Survivors a moment to react.
    • The Shape cannot lunge or reach any level of bloodlust while in Tier I of The Evil Within, to balance the lack of a red stain and virtually no terror radius.
    • The Pig has reduced speed while in stealth and squeals before her lunge attack, or an audio cue of her weapon unsheathing will happen if she goes out of stealth, giving Survivors a moment to react.

    Then we get to Ghost Face:

    • While in stealth, Ghost Face has no red stain or heartbeat, maintains regular movement speed, and can instantly attack you while in stealth; there is no "cool down" or momentary "pause" before he attacks in stealth mode to give the Survivors' a moment to react.

    I personally feel this fundamentally breaks core mechanics of the game. The terror radius and red stain are the two primary indicators to let a Survivor know when/where a Killer is, to react accordingly.

    Stealth Killers negate these fundamental mechanics of the game by design--which is totally fine--as there is a "draw back" to coming out of their stealth abilities (see above). But Ghost Face breaks all these design philosophies to a fault.

    There's a lot of balancing issues with this game, I know, and some are arguably more important to address before others, but man... Ghost Face, to me, is just beyond frustrating to play against in the grand scheme of things.

    Now that I got that off my chest: I love DBD and the dev staff. I admire how far you've come with this game and grown as a team/studio. <3

    You, like many others who whine about Ghostface, show a fundamental lack of understanding. The killers you mentioned CANNOT HAVE THEIR POWER REMOVED BY A SURVIVOR LOOKING AT THEM. Once Myers is tier 3 you can't do ######### about it besides loop or hide. Pig can't be "uncrouched" by survivors. She only stands back up if she ambush dashes or stands up on her own. The only thing that comes close is light burn for the wraith which requires a specific item. His drawback is literally survivors using their eyes, something you don't seem to like doing. Hell you can even pallet slam him and that removes his power as well. What more do you want? A neon sign that says "STEALTHY BOY RIGHT HERE" with an arrow pointing to him?

    And I dont know how new you are, but GF used to have an audible static sound when he was near you. Guess what that did? It made sneaking as him useless. Not only did survivors have superior vision with their third person camera, not only did his robes make noise, not only did his crouching make noise, but he also sounded like a broken television set. That's a lotta sound queues my dude. And guess what? The devs only removed one of them. Use your ears instead of focusing intently on holding M1. Survivor gameplay isn't that engaging, pay attention to your surroundings.

    Anyways. His only problem is that his reveal mechanic is broken and needs fixing for both sides. Everything else you mentioned is a textbook case of umad syndrome. Stop expecting to be able to beat every killer in the same way. Use. Your. Camera. Spot. The. Ghost. Learn. To. Loop.

  • @meatisadelicacy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/873433#Comment_873433

    But doesn't taking him out of his stealth reveal your location to him? Most of the time, Ghostface finds me because I found him. I find that incredibly frustrating that I reveal my location by looking around the map. Not to mention 50-60% of my games every time I play are Ghostface and I'm so bored I'm playing the game less and less.

    Before, revealing ghostface didn't give him killer instinct on your location. So survivors were able to freely reveal him, at no cost to themselves, and get bloodpoints for it. I don't understand some survivor mains. They want to be able to remove a killer's power with exactly no risk to themselves, AND be ######### rewarded for it. Unbelievable.

    And I'm sorry that the game bores you. Can't say that I don't feel the same. Dealing with the same four survivor perks are why I only watch the game on stream now, and have since the Plague's release.

  • @Ratio said:

    I need to air my frustration. I realize nothing will come of this, but it will at least let me feel a little better to vent this out.

    The following does NOT take into account any add-ons; this is strictly speaking about Killers' base abilities.

    All stealth Killers have some semblance of a "draw back" while they're in stealth.

    • The Wraith must ring his bell to de-cloak before he can attack. During the de-cloaking, his speed slows and a bell rings to give the Survivors a moment to react.
    • The Shape cannot lunge or reach any level of bloodlust while in Tier I of The Evil Within, to balance the lack of a red stain and virtually no terror radius.
    • The Pig has reduced speed while in stealth and squeals before her lunge attack, or an audio cue of her weapon unsheathing will happen if she goes out of stealth, giving Survivors a moment to react.

    Then we get to Ghost Face:

    • While in stealth, Ghost Face has no red stain or heartbeat, maintains regular movement speed, and can instantly attack you while in stealth; there is no "cool down" or momentary "pause" before he attacks in stealth mode to give the Survivors' a moment to react.

    I personally feel this fundamentally breaks core mechanics of the game. The terror radius and red stain are the two primary indicators to let a Survivor know when/where a Killer is, to react accordingly.

    Stealth Killers negate these fundamental mechanics of the game by design--which is totally fine--as there is a "draw back" to coming out of their stealth abilities (see above). But Ghost Face breaks all these design philosophies to a fault.

    There's a lot of balancing issues with this game, I know, and some are arguably more important to address before others, but man... Ghost Face, to me, is just beyond frustrating to play against in the grand scheme of things.

    Now that I got that off my chest: I love DBD and the dev staff. I admire how far you've come with this game and grown as a team/studio. <3

    There are people who think ghostface is overpowered? Wow, if anything, he needs a buff IMO.

1 2 ›