Is the game really unbalanced?

I'm always seeing survivor and killer mains complaining about how one side is too OP or too weak but don't both sides have their pros and cons. Doesn't everything have a counter? I think the game is balanced IMO. I'm a survivor main that's in the range of rank 2-4 and around 70% of the time I don't survive. The only thing that should be fixed is the ranking and matchmaking. What do you guys think?

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/759883#Comment_759883

    "Should that killer get 100% survivor kills in every game he plays?"

    No, who in the world would agree with that rofl

    "Should the results be the same with every available killer?"

    No.

    "What if all 4 survivors also play at the absolute pinnacle of a human's abilities?"

    They shouldn't be able to all survive just like the killer scenario

    "What should the results of those games be according to Blueberry if the game was perfectly balanced?"

    Same as the devs point out, 50%

    Okay, then the game actually is pretty well balanced by your standards then. The average survival rate across all ranks is really close to 50%.


  • “I confirmed this with the data team this morning, the 80% isn't exactly accurate. The stats are taking your rank after the match, not the rank you went in with. The data was also collected between April 1st and April 7th, when it was significantly harder for survivors to pip. As a result, those who died typically deranked back to rank 2 and their death would be counted as a rank 2 death. It was very rare for someone to die at rank 1 and remain rank 1, hence the incredibly high survival rate.

    Basically most of the deaths were counting towards rank 2, not rank 1, so the escape rate was much higher than it should be.

    I received a stat for the escape rate from the 11th and it was around a 43% escape rate.”

    quoted from Peanits, @Blueberry.

  • @Dreamnomad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/759924#Comment_759924

    Okay, then the game actually is pretty well balanced by your standards then. The average survival rate across all ranks is really close to 50%.

    No, it's not. If you read my previous posts in this thread I go over why it's not multiple times.

  • @GrootDude said:

    “I confirmed this with the data team this morning, the 80% isn't exactly accurate. The stats are taking your rank after the match, not the rank you went in with. The data was also collected between April 1st and April 7th, when it was significantly harder for survivors to pip. As a result, those who died typically deranked back to rank 2 and their death would be counted as a rank 2 death. It was very rare for someone to die at rank 1 and remain rank 1, hence the incredibly high survival rate.

    Basically most of the deaths were counting towards rank 2, not rank 1, so the escape rate was much higher than it should be.

    I received a stat for the escape rate from the 11th and it was around a 43% escape rate.”

    quoted from Peanits, @Blueberry.

    That's something. It clears up one of our variables.

    However as I've mentioned previously there are multiple other factors that skew those stats that are not being taken into account. Which is also why the devs themselves say the stats shouldn't be taken seriously in terms of using them for balance purposes.

  • @TheClamMan said:

    I'm always seeing survivor and killer mains complaining about how one side is too OP or too weak but don't both sides have their pros and cons. Doesn't everything have a counter? I think the game is balanced IMO. I'm a survivor main that's in the range of rank 2-4 and around 70% of the time I don't survive. The only thing that should be fixed is the ranking and matchmaking. What do you guys think?

    Its not that survivors are a problem its that survive with friends are.

    Look at yourself, having fun, dying some rounds, sometimes pissed at teammates.

    SWF literally prove that you can goof off and win vs even the strongest killers and its bs.

    Most of the time survivors leave gens or get caught on purpose because gens are so boring and chases are fun and cannot tell their survivor teammates that they are in a chase. WELL swf literally sit on gens and just get through them so fkn quick because they can tell eachother that they are in chases and need to work. As for survivors: spirit is REALLY strong and "camping tunneling is annoying wah" and NOED OP OMG...

    I agree with all of it except noed being op but its the killers playstyle regardless of if it sucks and theres hardly any face camping and tunneling in rank 1.

  • I think the game is mostly balanced aside from the odd add ons, a few maps and death squads. Mori's and keys need adjusting and buff a few bad killers then boom it'd be perfect to me. I 3/4K about 85+% of the time as killer if I'm playing serious and warmed up. The game isn't as nearly as unbalanced as some love to think it is. You can use the vast majority of lower tier killers and do decent in red rank unless you're against a death squad.

  • I'm a survivor main as well and believe that this game is heavily survivor favoured.

  • At the higher skill levels, the game is heavily survivor favored. The only things keeping killers from being completely dominated at Rank 1 are Nurse and Spirit.

  • The game is very heavily balanced in the Survivor's favour. Sure the Killer can stomp newbies and bad players easily, but against genuinely good Survivors that are playing to win? Killers have little to no chance.

    A 10/10 Killer player can easily get stomped by a good Survivor team. Its just the way the game is, even if the Killer plays as as close to perfect as possible, the core mechanics of the game are stacked against them.

  • @Gibberish said:

    The game is very heavily balanced in the Survivor's favour. Sure the Killer can stomp newbies and bad players easily, but against genuinely good Survivors that are playing to win? Killers have little to no chance.

    A 10/10 Killer player can easily get stomped by a good Survivor team. Its just the way the game is, even if they play as as close to perfect as possible the core mechanics of the game are stacked against them.

    @NoShinyPony said:

    I'm a survivor main as well and believe that this game is heavily survivor favoured.

    Yall arn't wrong at all.

  • @Gibberish said:

    The game is very heavily balanced in the Survivor's favour. Sure the Killer can stomp newbies and bad players easily, but against genuinely good Survivors that are playing to win? Killers have little to no chance.

    A 10/10 Killer player can easily get stomped by a good Survivor team. Its just the way the game is, even if they play as as close to perfect as possible the core mechanics of the game are stacked against them.

    This. Between pallets, lockers, third person camera, windows, looping, high ground, items, stupidly powerful perks like DS, the ease of completing generators, the fact that it takes 3 hooks to eliminate a survivor for good, the general map design, and the ease of hiding from the killer, even the best killers in the world will often have games where everyone escapes.

    And god help you if you're playing against SWF.

  • Survivors can overcome most killer setups.

  • We've come a long way.

    There's still more to do, and with every chapter that list grows, but a lot of crap is gone now.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/760539#Comment_760539

    No, it's not. If you read my previous posts in this thread I go over why it's not multiple times.


    Okay, so let me ask you another question. If they balanced the game to the point that the average survival rate at rank 1 is 50%, what do you think the average survival rate for the other 99% of survivors would be at? Do you think the average person would even want to play survivor? What do you think the wait time for killer lobbies would be at? Do you think new players would want to play a game they would die over and over and over again and after a few hundred hours of play time they might just get to the point where they can survive half the time?

  • @Dreamnomad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/760572#Comment_760572

    Okay, so let me ask you another question. If they balanced the game to the point that the average survival rate at rank 1 is 50%, what do you think the average survival rate for the other 99% of survivors would be at? Do you think the average person would even want to play survivor? What do you think the wait time for killer lobbies would be at? Do you think new players would want to play a game they would die over and over and over again and after a few hundred hours of play time they might just get to the point where they can survive half the time?

    Still 50%

    Rank 1 Survivors are facing Rank 1 Killers. A lesser Survivor is facing a lesser Killer.

    In otherwords the players that aren't as good at looping a Killer are being put against Killers that aren't as good at running loops.

    If you design the game right it'll even out to a constant winrate at all or most ranks.

    This specific kind of problem can be solved with a good matchmaking system.

  • SWF teams that choose to win and bully prove the game is unbalanced. Games can end in 2 minutes. That shows that the game is unbalanced. The reason the stats are like that is because

    1. Noob killers have it harder than noob survivors typically which is why they camp.
    2. Survivors dont like sitting on a gen for ages and leave gens often to start a chase for fun
    3. Alot of survivors dont work through ruin and it turns into RNG.

    Survivor mains, am I right that we leave gens every now and then for a chase because gens are boring?


    The problem is the gens for being too short and too boring. But I have a solution I THINK

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/95676/generator-rework-concept#latest

  • Honestly the very fact that a Killer, the person that should have all the power, can be Bullied at all answers this question.

  • @Gibberish said:

    The game is very heavily balanced in the Survivor's favour. Sure the Killer can stomp newbies and bad players easily, but against genuinely good Survivors that are playing to win? Killers have little to no chance.

    A 10/10 Killer player can easily get stomped by a good Survivor team. Its just the way the game is, even if they play as as close to perfect as possible the core mechanics of the game are stacked against them.

    Agreed. The devs should balance the game around the competitive players. The casuals are the ones who get on when a new licensed killer comes out, plays for a week then gets off til the next one. I watched a video that had said that 90,000 players played when the endgame collapse came out (pc) when average player count is 25,000. WELL MY THEORY IS those are all the players that left the game coming back because

    1. its more balanced
    2. A change to the base game for once.

    SO ALL IM SAYING IS IT WOULD BE SMART TO REWORK GENS COMPLETELY around rank 1 and a crap ton of players would get on and stay. Like seriously, this game would be so much healthier if it were more competitive because if it were actually balanced then swf wouldnt be able to absolutely bully a killer of similar rank BUT INSTEAD have a very intense fun match.

    Check this out if you want some inspiration or wanna support bc no one saw it ha

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/95676/generator-rework-concept#latest

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    The game is WAY more balanced than it used to be. It still needs some work and many Killers are still very under-powered. But it cannot be overstated just how far the game has came since even just a year ago.

    The majority of Killers are at least usable at red ranks ect ect ect.

    Agreed but the main issue is generators and should have been changed a few ago. If the game didnt release so gross they wouldnt have to have balanced nearly as much. I appreciate it but I just wish... gens were fixed.

  • @WickedMilk03 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/759837#Comment_759837

    Agreed but the main issue is generators and should have been changed a few ago. If the game didnt release so gross they wouldnt have to have balanced nearly as much. I appreciate it but I just wish... gens were fixed.

    I don't disagree, but I do think that it's a bit narrow minded to say that the only possible way to solve the time pressure issue is to make gens take longer.

    If you are talking about the non-balance issues with gens then sure, but the gens aren't an issue in a vacuum. 80 seconds per gen would be far more than enough time for the Killer if his attacks instantly killed you outright with no build up required.

    So somewhere between being looped for 2 minutes and instantly killing them is some Killer powerlevel which is balanced given 5 gens that take 80 seconds each. And I think we already have many Killers within that margin, for example Billy is fast enough when patrolling and can make up for chase time by getting in a few instant downs such that he can Kill everyone in the short amount of time he's given.

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/762746#Comment_762746

    I don't disagree, but I do think that it's a bit narrow minded to say that the only possible way to solve the time pressure issue is to make gens take longer.

    If you are talking about the non-balance issues with gens then sure, but the gens aren't an issue in a vacuum. 80 seconds per gen would be far more than enough time for the Killer if his attacks instantly killed you outright with no build up required.

    So somewhere between being looped for 2 minutes and instantly killing them is some Killer powerlevel which is balanced given 5 gens that take 80 seconds each. And I think we already have many Killers within that margin, for example Billy is fast enough when patrolling and can make up for chase time by getting in a few instant downs such that he can Kill everyone in the short amount of time he's given.

    No. Increasing gen times isnt this answer. Decreasing them and adding a mobile objective to complete them is a way.

    @WickedMilk03 said:

    This is a Repost from a while back. I have recently gotten really annoyed that nothing is being done about gen speeds so I have a solution. This change makes the game more fun and balanced for both sides or atleast I believe it would.

    Gen Changes

    Generators now only require 60 charges to complete. For the first 5 seconds of work on a gen, repair speed is 25% slower. This is to deter survivors from finishing a gen right in front of your face after you scare them off of it. Stops toxicity and gen tapping. 60 second gens because they are annoying and lack any interesting gameplay. Like seriously... Hold a button woo hoo. Killers still get a notification when generator repair is complete.

    Completion Phase

    The completion phase lasts for 3 minutes (180 seconds) after a gen is completed. During this time, generators would need to be filled with gas. A generator can not be regressed by the killer during the completion phase. If the generator is not filled with gas during the completion phase then the generator will reset to 0 charges meaning it would need to be repaired the full 60 seconds again. Perks like tinkerer would remain the same and activate as generator repair is completed. Killers get a notification when a gen is fully completed.

    Gas canisters

    Gas canisters are located in 3 White Crates towards the center of the map. White Crates spawn with 16-28 meters between them. The distance between them is dependent on the size of the map. This would ensure that killers are not the only ones suffering from huge maps. Carrying a gas canister does not replace an item, however you cannot use any items whilst holding a gas canister. You cannot sprint or drop a pallet when carrying a gas canister which means you have to walk when carrying gas. If you drop a gas canister, to gain the ability to run, it's aura can be seen by all survivors and the killer. A gas canister can be crushed by the killer and it would be sent back to a White Crate. There is an infinite amount of gas canisters in each crate. Filling a gen with gas takes 5 seconds. This slows the game and forces stealth as well as keeps survivors on edge by making them move around the map in places where the killer may be.

    All reasons for these changes

    1. Survivors are forced to play stealthy after a gen is complete. This is good because stealth is not a very common thing people go for since it isn't very rewarding (but would be now ha)
    2. Survivors are forced to be on the go during the match. This makes it less boring and gives a higher chance of interesting outcomes in the match.
    3. Survivors will NOT run towards the killer for a good chase anymore because they are bored. Survivors will be actively trying to win.
    4. Killers have a more fair advantage versus swf and can win a match based on their individual ability to put pressure on the survivors.
    5. Overall more interesting gameplay
    6. Generator times are decreased (again: less boring) Dead by Daylight remains the classic "repair gens and get the fug out game with all the cool movie killers" that the commons look to it as.
    7. Map pressure-less killers actually stand a chance.
    8. The game is imbalanced and needs this please devs... please

    I am done guys tell me what you think

    Tell me your thoughts. If you disagree with this, actually tell me why please. I try not to be bias and I do play both sides. I have 2300 hours. GG

    I know its up to the killer to apply the pressure and it hasnt happened much that a match has lasted 2 minutes. The marth88 experiment proved it was unbalanced. 100 matches of swf with no perks and I am pretty sure they hardly ever lost and made killers lose pips almost every game.

  • @WickedMilk03 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/762753#Comment_762753

    No. Increasing gen times isnt this answer. Decreasing them and adding a mobile objective to complete them is a way.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/95676/generator-rework-concept

    I know its up to the killer to apply the pressure and it hasnt happened much that a match has lasted 2 minutes. The marth88 experiment proved it was unbalanced. 100 matches of swf with no perks and I am pretty sure they hardly ever lost and made killers lose pips almost every game.

    I'm not saying that gen rush isn't a problem, just that slowing down gens isn't the only solution. Speeding up Killers also solves the issue.

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/762774#Comment_762774

    I'm not saying that gen rush isn't a problem, just that slowing down gens isn't the only solution. Speeding up Killers also solves the issue.

    Yeah I underknow and I am saying that increasing time isnt the solution. I agree with you. Gens just need a full rework

  • @Liruliniel said:

    Just starting out. Killers are in the favored position. As survivors get more acquainted with the game it becomes survivor sided heavily.

    Yep, and it really isn't changing because Nurse is getting nerfed pretty bad, but survivors no longer have insta heals.

  • @BunnyTheHutt said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/759558#Comment_759558

    Yep, and it really isn't changing because Nurse is getting nerfed pretty bad, but survivors no longer have insta heals.

    Shes become a joke honestly. Functional, but a shadow of something once called Nuse. I honestly hate what shes become I feel robbed as a survivor I really enjoyed the chases with good to god Nurses. Her being Nerfed for low rank survivors who can't learn anything about the game are truely ruining it.

  • @Liruliniel said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/762805#Comment_762805

    Shes become a joke honestly. Functional, but a shadow of something once called Nuse. I honestly hate what shes become I feel robbed as a survivor I really enjoyed the chases with good to god Nurses. Her being Nerfed for low rank survivors who can't learn anything about the game are truely ruining it.

    Agreed. They didn't even give her anything too compensate for the lack of blinks live MS or better recovery. "little changes too base" my butt.

  • @BunnyTheHutt said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/762813#Comment_762813

    Agreed. They didn't even give her anything too compensate for the lack of blinks live MS or better recovery. "little changes too base" my butt.

    To me this signals the Devs distance from the community in general. Everyone agreed she was OP and everyone wanted her Addons fixed. Bunch of new players wanted her nerfed or the occasional hardcore survivor main who got steamrolled.

    Honestly im really irritated by these changes.

  • *languishes in Legion Hell*

    @Liruliniel said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/762826#Comment_762826

    To me this signals the Devs distance from the community in general. Everyone agreed she was OP and everyone wanted her Addons fixed. Bunch of new players wanted her nerfed or the occasional hardcore survivor main who got steamrolled.

    Honestly im really irritated by these changes.


  • @Dreamnomad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/759864#Comment_759864

    Okay, let's ignore all that for a few minutes. Let me ask you a question. If a killer plays the "perfect" game. He makes the absolute smartest possible strategic decisions and makes the most precise movements humanly possible with his controls. Should that killer get 100% survivor kills in every game he plays? Should the results be the same with every available killer? What if all 4 survivors also play at the absolute pinnacle of a human's abilities? What should the results of those games be according to Blueberry if the game was perfectly balanced?

    The top survivors vs the top killer no mistakes were made? The survivors would win since it's a 4v1 but now you have to ask if no one makes mistakes in a chase who wins I personally say the survivor since at the end of the day the killer has rely on survivor mistakes unless it's pre nerfed nurse or a spirit

  • @WickedMilk03 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/762791#Comment_762791

    Yeah I underknow and I am saying that increasing time isnt the solution. I agree with you. Gens just need a full rework

    You don't NEED to change gens at all. It's a possible solution but it's far from the only one.

    We can solve the problem without making a single change to generator mechanics simply by giving Killers the tools to win faster, either through better map design, power changes or both.

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/762801#Comment_762801

    You don't NEED to change gens at all. It's a possible solution but it's far from the only one.

    We can solve the problem without making a single change to generator mechanics simply by giving Killers the tools to win faster, either through better map design, power changes or both.

    yes but survivors literally will get bored of these long gen times and run to the killer to be chased...

    They are boring for survivors, and too quick for killers.

    A gen rework is for the greater good. The player base would actually increase from that aswell...

  • What I want to know, is why is it every time I play a Killer for fun, that I don't know well... or use a build i'm unsure of or something like that... I get the stereotypical "Survivor Main" group? Just everything they can do to mess with me, everything they can do to be a little....

    Like this last game I had. Decided to use Clown. Just for giggles. Guess what happened? Not only was it a BS sandwhich, the one that I downed DC'ed when I went to hook them?

    WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THIS IS OKAY!? They were PROUD of there scummy behavior! Like it was expected or just what you do! It's not all survivors, but yall got some REALLY crappy people out there giving you bad names.

    Edit: Was in a bit of a foul mood when I wrote this. I'll leave it though, so show how it can get too feeling.

1 2 ›