Why aren't people playing the Demogorgon?

I rarely see him at purple to red ranks. What's going on? I've heard other streamers and youtubers notice a lack of Gordon games as well.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @Blackowt_9120 said:

    I’m on ps4 I swap between huntress, gf, demo, an I’ve been throwing in some plague and myers

    Same I have all killers but didn't want demogorgon and my most effective so far was freddy

  • @FiftyCalReaper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/737807#Comment_737807

    See, not be to mean or rude at all but you just proved my point to a T.

    "I played him for 2 hours." As if that's enough time to learn how to play a new character...

    If you said that in a League forum you'd be laughed out of the building. For instance, to be a top tier Riven player you probably need to invest at LEAST 100 hours and watch a few YouTube tutorials.

    DBD players seem to think they should be able to pick up a new killer in less than a day and be top tier.

    New killers are judged entirely on the basis of "Is this killer effective and extremely easy to use." And that's just wrong. People want new killers to have minimal learning curve and maximum effectiveness.

    Sorry, not trying to be a dickhead, but you pretty much perfectly demonstrated what I was talking about in my earlier post.

    I had freddy for a day and got up too rank 5

  • Its a paid dlc and a its one of the more expensive ones isnt it so that probably has something to do with it plus since its relatively new people are probably still figuring out how to play as him

  • @WhTe_Tygre_DBD said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/737700#Comment_737700

    Same I have all killers but didn't want demogorgon and my most effective so far was freddy

    I like Demogorgon and he's pretty strong when you put some sweat in your gameplay that's just you not trying to use his power which survivor's only touch when you keep coming back through it or to buy them selves more time and he's scary to face

  • I'm on console, I go up against him all the time in Purple Ranks.


    May I ask what platform you are on? Maybe PC?

  • I mean this basically happens with almost every killer who is not top tier they will get played for the hype week of their release and then eventually they'll get petered out and the only people you'll see typically who will play them are typically people going for dailies or people who have made them their mains.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Play on PS4 I get Demo at least 1/5 of the time.

    I'm on PS4 in the red ranks. I rarely see him.

  • Because I haven't got around to him yet and I like to play the characters in the order they released.

    I stopped playing the game regularly around the time Legion dropped, so I got a lot of catching up to do. Especially now that I play both sides.

  • I'm trying to use him, but it's difficult to land lunges. I just use it mainly at pallets now, thank god for that buff. I don't see him much as survivor and it sucks because he's fun to be chased by.

  • @Sauceman_Tim said:

    I rarely see him at purple to red ranks. What's going on? I've heard other streamers and youtubers notice a lack of Gordon games as well.

    Hes weak why should i play a killer that can't do something against good survivers???

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/738463#Comment_738463

    You are in red ranks, you barely ever see anyone but Billy and Spirit. Get out of the red ranks if you want to vs killers that play anything other than meta.

    Not true. I can count on one hand the number of times I have faced Billy for example over the last couple of days. I always see a decent range of killers.

    Last night alone I had Trapper, Huntress, Myers, Wraith, Hag, Legion, and only one Spirit. Not a Billy in sight. This is not a one off either.

  • He's a worse Freddy imo.

    I don't mind Demo but I prefer my main more.

  • @GrootDude said:

    Because leatherface is life

    Hard to play without instadown uh?

    Always for the ez way ;)

  • @Kilmeran said:

    @FiftyCalReaper That is where your argument has fallacy. If this was League, or even Overwatch where I have experience since Beta to the present day, I would agree with you. The characters there are much more complex, and when playing them in an environment of team vs team, and counters vs counters, there are a lot more moving parts to consider.

    Two hours even on an Overwatch hero is nothing due to that. In two hours it is impossible to determine how the character fairs against their counters, how they synergize with various other cast members and in what combinations, what positioning is best for them, what maps are best for them, when best to use their Ultimates for greatest effect, and so forth.

    Killers in DbD are nowhere near as complex, nor does a DbD match have nearly as many moving parts.

    Now, I never stated how viable or unviable he is. I stated that after two hours, I don't feel me spending the time on him is worth the payoff (to me) when I could instead place that time into Spirit or Hag, both of which I've played and see myself getting better mileage out of.

    CalReaper isn't wrong here. You are not an expert on any killer after simply 2 hours of labbing. If you went to any other gaming forum and said "I played X for 2 hours and now I will tell you what I think of their balance state" you will be laughed out of the room and told that you have no idea what you are talking about.

    Like in League. Even if you played against the most polarized matchups with Camille for example, your 2 hour opinion means absolutely nothing to those with hundreds of hours.

    Or in overwatch where you have no idea what balance is after 2 hours of any character.

    It's the same here. I imagine when Nurse first came out we had a bunch of people saying she was bad as their hot take, due to how difficult she is. But we all know that Nurse is far from bad.

    Demogorgon is new. Let people figure out ways to play him and unlock his hidden potential and whatnot. Don't be so quick to dismiss him

  • There's probably multiple reasons.

    But i figure one of them is that there's still 16 other Killers to play.

    The hype for anything, even licenses, quickly goes down once it's actually here.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/738608#Comment_738608

    Agreed, but there is still a question as to why some of us face some killers more than others, I see tons of Demo and GF almost never see Nurse and Spirit, while others apparently have the exact opposite experience. Why? What is being done to cause this?

    Idk, maybe people in your area like those Killers way more.

  • Theres another reason, which is probably the bug affecting the Demogorgon, where when chasing a survivor in a tight loop or tight corners, your movement speed switches to the m2 movement speed making you slower, and making the survivor become faster than you. I saw this happen in a video where even bloodlust 3 couldn't counter this bug. Idk if a bug report is up, and I don't have the Demogorgon to make this bug report.

    This bug only happens when you use shred around a loop in tight corners/tight loops.

  • I mean he's okay, but i don't see many GF too. With more and more killers added to the game, you maybe feel like rarely seeing some of em.

  • @HP150 said:

    He's good. I'd put him just below Freddy (Nurse>Spirit>Billy>Hag>Huntress>Freddy imo).

    The issue is he takes quite a bit of effort for comparatively little reward. The time you spend learning him can be spent playing a better killer who takes less effort / one that is more forgiving / gives stronger consistent results.

    Freddy is actually better than Huntress, he simply better at most important categories.

    - He slowing game down

    He got a lot better mindgames (since he short)

    - Map pressure

    - Had an stealth potential

    - Snares could detect survivors

    He maybe better than Hag, but it hard to tell.

  • Eh. Never mind. I'm wasting my time saying the same crap over and over again.

  • He sucks, that's why

  • @GrootDude said:

    Because leatherface is life


    *fist bump*


    I have no idea why people don't play him, but I would like to see the sales figures for this last DLC pack. That's the start of an answer.

  • Honestly I find him very "meh." It's not terrible by any means but it's not what I really enjoy for a killer.

  • @OpenYoureyes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/737661#Comment_737661

    Hard to play without instadown uh?

    Always for the ez way ;)

    Didn’t know LF was op.

    @StupidPallets said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/737661#Comment_737661

    *fist bump*

    I have no idea why people don't play him, but I would like to see the sales figures for this last DLC pack. That's the start of an answer.

    He is a lot of fun. :)

  • I made demo my psuedo main and I think the most frustrating part about him is how map dependant he is. I don't think I've been in or seen a single game where a demogorgon does well on fractured cowshed for example. There's just too many loops that you can't utilize shred around, and not very many good corners to tuck portals into. On the other hand, the Demogorgon does very well on large maps, such as the pale rose, or the Hawkins lab. Lots of places to put portals, pallets that you can use shred on to force early drops etc.


    I think the shred attack is too easy to dodge, but the reason that's frustrating is because it turns situation where it should be a powerful attack into a waste of time. For example, trying to hit someone running along the side of the shack, or next to one of the long fences on Badham. A simple turn to the right is enough to completely woosh the attack. I've learned to counter this by aiming slightly to the side, so if they try to dodge it they still get hit, but once again, he's map dependent because this isn't always possible!


    I remember a specific instance where on Badham the shack spawned with a generator inside, and a firebarrel on the opposite side of the window. This made it nearly IMPOSSIBLE to land a lunge attack. The generator blocked a lunge going to the window and the pallet, and the firebarrel made it so even if they turned right at the pallet to go around the side where demo would theoretically be the strongest, ends up being completely safe because they can pop back around the barrel making them completely immune to a lunch attack from behind.


    TL;DR I main demogorgon, but he's very map dependent for both aspects of his ability to be useful, and I'm tired of loading into a game already knowing that the outcome will be defeat because of map generation.

  • B tier Killer. You'll see him about as often as the beloved piggy. Lower the rank, the higher the possibility of seeing the Gordon Ramsey. Red ranks are reserved almost exclusively (on PC anyway) for Spirit and Nurse with a small peppering of all other killers and a side of either Billy or Huntress

  • He is one of the few killers I see in red ranks on PS4, right after Doctor, Freddy, and Nurse. Occasionally get Trappers, Billies, Bubbas, and Legions.

  • I just find him pretty boring and kind of meh with all his downsides, super loud stomps, obvious audio and visual cues, largest killer in the game so he really struggles on certain map tiles because he just towers over them


    I really want to like playing him but I just find him a bit boring at the moment after working hard to learn Ghostface and playing Clown at the moment I just don't feel compelled/interested in working to understand him


    Come rank reset maybe I'll learn him

  • I’ve been playing as it a lot. I just haven’t played the game as frequently due to real life getting in the way. He’s pretty fun IMO— but it’s definitely not the best. Not the worst.

    I really only play just to enjoy myself, so pipping to me is irrelevant in the grand scheme of thing. So that way I can play whoever or however I want and have fun regardless.

    EDIT: Forgot something, and basic grammar.

1 2 ›