Why isn't self killing on hook at the very start of the game considered as griefing/trolling?

Seriously, I just had a person who picked Gideon map but decided to die at 5 generators only because "we are against Wesker with Gen Regression perks so I (in this context read this as he) is not going to play vs Wesker on THAT map with those perks the killer had".

So a person loaded into a match, ran towards killer to get himself killed only because he doesn't like a killer/a perk, leaves us at 5 generators with 3 people online and killer already having 1 kill on his side so not even replacing with bots can help in this situation, and we are still acting like this behaviour is just fine and shouldn't be bannable?


I didn't manage to screenshot his words about him "legally quitting from that match" but I have a video of that player acting during that match recorded where he placed his medic kit nearby and then run towards killer to get killed while also self killing himself on hook and missing skillchecks on purpose at Stage 2.

Comments

  • @Ayodam said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620706#Comment_3620706

    So what is “right at hook”? Is 4 meters? 1? 3.7? 8? …15.999…? 😏

    It's standing at the hook. I don't know why you're being like this. As I already said if you don't like proxy camping or the killer just standing outside the AFC range then make a thread asking for BHVR to do more to combat that.

    As it stands the AFC mechanic is a complete success, if the killer hooks someone and just facecamps, the survivor can free themselves before going to second hook.

    If the killer doesn't do that, then the AFC doesn't kick in, which is intended. Still confused why people don't understand.

  • @Krazzik said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620709#Comment_3620709

    It's standing at the hook. I don't know why you're being like this. As I already said if you don't like proxy camping or the killer just standing outside the AFC range then make a thread asking for BHVR to do more to combat that.

    As it stands the AFC mechanic is a complete success, if the killer hooks someone and just facecamps, the survivor can free themselves before going to second hook.

    If the killer doesn't do that, then the AFC doesn't kick in, which is intended. Still confused why people don't understand.

    I asked for a specific numeric measure because “standing at the hook” means different things to different people as evidenced by our disagreement. You avoided providing ann answer because you know the distinction is ridiculous and irrelevant. By BHVR’s metric standing at the hook could be a distance of 1 or 15.99999999+ meters. The difference between the latter and an ‘appropriate’ level of distance (16 meters) is so minuscule it’s essentially irrelevant. But you won’t say that because it invalidates your point.

  • @Ayodam said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620710#Comment_3620710

    I asked for a specific numeric measure because “standing at the hook” means different things to different people as evidenced by our disagreement. You avoided providing ann answer because you know the distinction is ridiculous and irrelevant. By BHVR’s metric standing at the hook could be a distance of 1 or 15.99999999+ meters. The difference between the latter and an ‘appropriate’ level of distance (16 meters) is so minuscule it’s essentially irrelevant. But you won’t say that because it invalidates your point.

    If you genuinely think standing 16 metres away from the hook is 'standing at the hook' then I don't really know what to tell you. I guess people have different definitions of what facecamping is but it seems clear that BHVR used the commonly held belief that's it's standing right in front of the hook.

    Standing 16 metres away from the hook isn't standing 'at the hook' and no amount of being pedantic makes it so.

  • @Krazzik said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620711#Comment_3620711

    If you genuinely think standing 16 metres away from the hook is 'standing at the hook' then I don't really know what to tell you. I guess people have different definitions of what facecamping is but it seems clear that BHVR used the commonly held belief that's it's standing right in front of the hook.

    Standing 16 metres away from the hook isn't standing 'at the hook' and no amount of being pedantic makes it so.

    It’s standing up to 15.9999999+ meters from the hook according to BHVR but as Dogma said it’s just splitting hairs. For the sake of my opinion of you (which is positive right now) I’m going to disengage. We disagree, it’s fine.

  • @ElodieSimp said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620172#Comment_3620172

    Can't really take these posts seriously anymore as it's mostly killer mains upset about it because they feel entitled to the bloodpoints. While the survivor is getting tunneled and watching their team mates spinning across the map. I'd rather just die on hook and go next.

    What are you rambling about?

    As a killer, I don't mind survivors giving up on hook at all. It just makes my games alot easier.

    But when I play survivor (mostly soloQ), this ######### screws the whole team, esp. when we were doing good until then. If it's a lost cause, sure, but why do some players give up on hook when we are down to one gen, no 3-gen situation, with something like 3 hooks total? I lost so many games that could have easily be won with 2 / 3 man escapes because of this.

  • @Dogma_loki said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620370#Comment_3620370

    You're literally splitting hairs here. The intent is the same, regardless of whatever point you are vainly attempting to spin here.

    Far too many killers intentionally proxy/face camp just to hard tunnel and for easy hooks. Why leave the hooked survivor when they can get free downs and more hooks?

    Theres a lot BHVR could do to combat or just stop this behavior all together, but we all know they won't.

    What could they do that they haven't already done?

  • @Unequalmitten86 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620116#Comment_3620116

    All of the reasons you listed in your previous post along with this. It isn't worth being a survivor. As someone pointed out there has been a survivor bonus since Chucky came out. I don't think I have ever seen it so long. Yeah games were bad prior but they really went downhill afterwards. Not only this but I have DC'd more times than not recently because gameplay is terrible. I have not even been playing. You are right killers do get attention immediately, but what they need to realize they need 4 times the amount of survivors and survivors buy cosmetics. They won't buy something if they are not happy with how things are. 3 gen is their fault because it lies in game design and they had ample time to fix it. There is a new survivor coming out but I highly doubt people will rush out and get it.

    People do end their own games for other reasons too, but they probably wanted out because of a streak of bad games or the same killer

    It's to be expected for there to be a survivor bonus after a killer only chapter. People want to play the killer. The same thing happened in reverse with Nic Cage.

    After the Chucky craze started wearing off (it's still not gone, his pick rates are nuts atm), we got the event which brought tome challenges. Half the challenges are for killer... if everyone spends 50% of their time doing the killer challenges, it's gonna cause a survivor BP bonus.

    I fully expect it to go back to normal in like 2 days when the event is over and survivor players don't have extra incentive to play killer.

  • @Krazzik said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620313#Comment_3620313

    No, face camping if when you're right up in their face, camping them. It's specifically when the killer is right at the hook and it makes unhooking much harder and a trade almost certain.

    Even if the killer literally stands just outside the range of the AFC mechanic, it still gives the other survivors a better chance to get the unhook without having to trade, and is thus much healthier for the game.

    A killer who is hanging around the area and goes right back to the hook to tunnel is something completely different and is not what the AFC was made to counter.

    The point is that it is a meaningless gesture that 'solved' something super niche and inconsequential. No matter how many semantics are applied.


    The amount of camping hasn't changed at all, the amount of perks, addons, and powers that encourage camping hasn't changed at all.


    In fact, you can STILL textbook facecamp when the survivor is about to die because it doesn't even pause the hook timer. But hey Facecamp Bubba is gone right? (Not even.)


    The reality is that BHVR did this low effort change just so they can always reference it when people rightfully say they haven't done nearly enough to make survivor not suck.

  • @LilyPad said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620370#Comment_3620370

    The point is that it is a meaningless gesture that 'solved' something super niche and inconsequential. No matter how many semantics are applied.

    The amount of camping hasn't changed at all, the amount of perks, addons, and powers that encourage camping hasn't changed at all.

    In fact, you can STILL textbook facecamp when the survivor is about to die because it doesn't even pause the hook timer. But hey Facecamp Bubba is gone right? (Not even.)

    The reality is that BHVR did this low effort change just so they can always reference it when people rightfully say they haven't done nearly enough to make survivor not suck.

    I mean facecamping has always been pretty rare outside endgame. I was quite surprised when they announced the AFC mechanics because of that but I guess when it does happen it feels really crappy for the survivors so they wanted it gone. And they succeeded. If you hook a survivor and then just stand there, then the AFC kicks in and you get punished.

    Yeah, the killer can come back right before they hit stage 2 or just die but that's the survivors' fault for leaving it so late to get the save. If standing near the hook outright paused the timer that would be absurdly-abusable, and I'm pretty sure they tested exactly that ages ago and, surprise surprise, it was abused.

    It has done zero to counter proxy camping or simply killers heading right back to the hook after an unhook but it was never meant to, and countering both those things without screwing over killers as a whole is incredibly difficult. Feel free to give suggestions to fix it though.

  • @mecca said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620107#Comment_3620107

    So instead of standing directly in front of the survivor, killer stands slightly farther away. When survivor is unhooked, they chase them down again.

    It didn't accomplish anything.

    that's the tunneling problem, not camping

    in some scenarios facecamping make it so it's physically impossible to unhook someone

  • @LilyPad said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620370#Comment_3620370

    The point is that it is a meaningless gesture that 'solved' something super niche and inconsequential. No matter how many semantics are applied.

    The amount of camping hasn't changed at all, the amount of perks, addons, and powers that encourage camping hasn't changed at all.

    In fact, you can STILL textbook facecamp when the survivor is about to die because it doesn't even pause the hook timer. But hey Facecamp Bubba is gone right? (Not even.)

    The reality is that BHVR did this low effort change just so they can always reference it when people rightfully say they haven't done nearly enough to make survivor not suck.

    In fact, you can STILL textbook facecamp when the survivor is about to die because it doesn't even pause the hook timer. But hey Facecamp Bubba is gone right? (Not even.)

    well, survivors had ~45-50 seconds to unhook. If they lost their moment ("gens before friend") - it's their problem, not killers fault

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620028#Comment_3620028

    I'd have to do a search but I'm sure the devs said, no, it's not reportable. They don't want to go down to road of trying to prove intent.

    I think someone being hooked followed by them "going for the 3 percent" while someone is heading towards followed you missing all the skill checks immediately after being hooked once clearly indicates the intent

  • @Majin151 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620031#Comment_3620031

    I think someone being hooked followed by them "going for the 3 percent" while someone is heading towards you missing all the skill checks immediately after being hooked once clearly indicates the intent

    Thread with almost exact same scenario: https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/2556400/


    Please do not use the report system in this manner....nothing that player did is against the rules. It takes the staff time to go through all these reports and therefore takes time away from genuine reports.

    Source: https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/2556314/#Comment_2556314


    Suiciding on the hook is not a reportable offence at all.

    Source: https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/2556375/#Comment_2556375

  • Hook suiciding is Effectively griefing I don't care if the devs or support say otherwise because it literally gimps the trial


    these are the same people who think having prestige 100 rewards is fomo but not battle passes that do not come back and time limited stuff which are text book fomo


    If we went with the devs logic quit penalty's shouldn't be a thing as quitting at the start of the match and leaving the game as a 3v1 at 5 gens is perfectly fine and there was no reason to add the bots(ie the mechanic that hook suiciding prevents)


    Whenever I see it happen when I play killer I just leave that person slugged and have them suffer until they leave or bleedout and I let the rest go

  • @I_CAME said:

    because you'd have to ban half the playerbase to stop it.

    The game would be so much more fun if they got rid of half the playerbase and in the long run the playerbase of non selfish players would grow.

  • Like if hook suiciding is allowed they might as well remove the quit penalty for survivors so we can actually have a bot to contribute to the trial or make it to where if you get sacrificed when the match hasn't lasted for 5 minutes a certain amount of times you suffer the quit penalty or remove the skill checks so they can't hook suicide


    Because it's effectively the same thing except one doesn't give a timer and u say that as someone who plays both sides and hates having it on both sides


    They literally have three easy options to stop rage quitters using hook suiciding as a way to skip the penalty timer

  • @Majin151 said:

    Hook suiciding is Effectively griefing I don't care if the devs or support say otherwise because it literally gimps the trial

    these are the same people who think having prestige 100 rewards is fomo but not battle passes that do not come back and time limited stuff which are text book fomo

    If we went with the devs logic quit penalty's shouldn't be a thing as quitting at the start of the match and leaving the game as a 3v1 at 5 gens is perfectly fine and there was no reason to add the bots(ie the mechanic that hook suiciding prevents)

    Whenever I see it happen when I play killer I just leave that person slugged and have them suffer until they leave or bleedout and I let the rest go

    Camping/tunneling is Effectively griefing I don't care if the devs or support say otherwise because it literally gimps the trial

    leaving the game as a 3v1 at 5 gens

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3621220#Comment_3621220

    I'm just stating what I've seen the Devs say on these forums and for you to say you don't care what they say. Well they make the rules. We don't.

    "clearly indicates the intent" nope, sure you can most certainly argue it might be a good indication that is their intent but you don't know 100%.

    And for you to say you slug people who do that goes to show people don't really know because I've had a killer do that to me. I was just about to hit second stage and no one was was even making an effort to come to me so I though I would try my luck for a 4%. When I was unhooked the killer slugged me and farmed with the rest. When I asked them about it in chat they wrote "Your own fault you tried to rage quit". So, no, you don't always know why someone is going for the kobe. I wasn't rage quitting I was trying to unhook myself because no one else was.

    Either way I don't have a dog in this fight. I just don't see it enough in my games for it to bother me.

    I can tell If someone is going for a hook suicide If they refuse to leave the hook when rescued or keep running towards me it's clear what they are doing as that's as clear as day what they're doing what happened to you isn't considered as hook suiciding and for the killer to say it was is stupid

    hook suiciding is doing it right away not at the last second of the first stage

  • @NerfedFreddy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3621224#Comment_3621224

    Camping/tunneling is Effectively griefing I don't care if the devs or support say otherwise because it literally gimps the trial

    leaving the game as a 3v1 at 5 gens

    Oh hey a hook suicider came and tried twisting my words how about you get off the game kid

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620128#Comment_3620128

    Hence why said "feature" should go away. 4% is not fun for anyone. Survivors use it to leave the match and avoid the DC penatly, and it penalizes killers due to a complete RNG thing out of their, or the survivor's, control.

    @Rapteriurz said:

    Seriously, I just had a person who picked Gideon map but decided to die at 5 generators only because "we are against Wesker with Gen Regression perks so I (in this context read this as he) is not going to play vs Wesker on THAT map with those perks the killer had".

    So a person loaded into a match, ran towards killer to get himself killed only because he doesn't like a killer/a perk, leaves us at 5 generators with 3 people online and killer already having 1 kill on his side so not even replacing with bots can help in this situation, and we are still acting like this behaviour is just fine and shouldn't be bannable?

    I didn't manage to screenshot his words about him "legally quitting from that match" but I have a video of that player acting during that match recorded where he placed his medic kit nearby and then run towards killer to get killed while also self killing himself on hook and missing skillchecks on purpose at Stage 2.

    I can't stand wesker, I will not normally play against him. His abilities are dumb he is no fun and overpowered. He's boring, every wesker is a try hard and I will let him hook me instantly because I'm not going to be camped and tunneled because that's all weskers are good for

1 2 ›