Nerfing Perks kills Solo gap

Solo rely on perks because Teammates are unreliable. Nerfing good perks makes SWF stronger. Make matchmaking better for Solo

Comments

  • Just because sometimes you get bad solo q games doesn't mean that perks shouldn't be nerfed if they are too strong

  • You do realise that any perk that is strong for solo Q is even stronger for a coordinated SWF team right? If a perk is overtuned for soloQ, you bet your butt it is WAAAAY overtuned for SWF...

    I'm a perma-soloQ player myself, and I refuse to use overtuned perks because you become reliant on them and they encourage bad habits. Solo Q should be given reasonable knowledge to make team decisions like a SWF does. The HUD was a great change to bridge the gap. The main one I want now is the ability to see my teams perks, if not in lobby, at least in game, so I can make better team based decisions.

    Having a strong perk that is overcompenstating for lack of commuinication of solos is not how you make a game fair. You only really need to nerf overtuned perks... but overtuned perks, you need to nerf.

  • No change is gonna make your bad team mates good sadly

  • @Crowman said:

    Just because sometimes you get bad solo q games doesn't mean that perks shouldn't be nerfed if they are too strong

    No, they should be BALANCED, not nerfed for dead. That's incredibly lacking in any type of critical thinking to just kill perks. Zero respect for that, on both sides.

  • @Ariel_Starshine said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3575046#Comment_3575046

    No, they should be BALANCED, not nerfed for dead. That's incredibly lacking in any type of critical thinking to just kill perks. Zero respect for that, on both sides.

    Nerfing overpowered perks is how you balance them.

    Dead Hard is fine now. Made For This will be fine after this patch.

  • Solo queue has had one foot in the grave for awhile. Nothing is going to save it. You cop the losses and you move on. It's all we can do - signed, a fellow solo queue player.

  • You basically need perks which allow you to take over the control of the survivor who does nothing lol.

  • Good perks make bad players better, mediocre players good and good players insane.

  • @Caiman said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3575616#Comment_3575616

    Nerfing overpowered perks is how you balance them.

    Dead Hard is fine now. Made For This will be fine after this patch.

    In what world do we live in where the definition of nerf (aka killing a perk and making it useless) is the same as balanced?

    Eruption at first wasn't balanced, it was nerfed to the ground. Then after all the outrage of how useless it was going to be due to the nerf, they fixed it. The perk is still nothing to scoff at.

    MFT is just garbage now. I never used it as I can kite good without it, but...

    Balance is where something is still useful in a solid way. MFT was only picked to be used so much because most of the other perks aren't that great, it's just nerf nerf nerf. Dead perks. Perk bloat.

    I'm tired of them putting perks on characters to sell them just to kill the perk later. Even if I don't use it, it's not cool to do that to people, killer and survivor alike.

  • @Ariel_Starshine said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3575668#Comment_3575668

    In what world do we live in where the definition of nerf (aka killing a perk and making it useless) is the same as balanced?

    Eruption at first wasn't balanced, it was nerfed to the ground. Then after all the outrage of how useless it was going to be due to the nerf, they fixed it. The perk is still nothing to scoff at.

    MFT is just garbage now. I never used it as I can kite good without it, but...

    Balance is where something is still useful in a solid way. MFT was only picked to be used so much because most of the other perks aren't that great, it's just nerf nerf nerf. Dead perks. Perk bloat.

    I'm tired of them putting perks on characters to sell them just to kill the perk later. Even if I don't use it, it's not cool to do that to people, killer and survivor alike.

    There are plenty of good survivor perks. But there's a handful of the best ones, and everyone acts like if it's not as good as the best ones, it's worthless. I don't care for that mindset. You can win with any perks, if you're good enough. You can even win with no perks, if you try hard enough.

    MFT was a piece of crap that deserves what it's getting. It'll be a fine, useful perk when the change hits, compared to the badly designed nonsense it is now.

    It still gives the 10 seconds of Endurance when you heal someone, and now it can't be deactivated by Exhaustion so that part is even stronger than it was before. That's a plenty good effect, the Haste if you get hit while in Endurance is now just a situational bonus. As it deserves to be.

  • @Caiman said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3575764#Comment_3575764

    There are plenty of good survivor perks. But there's a handful of the best ones, and everyone acts like if it's not as good as the best ones, it's worthless. I don't care for that mindset. You can win with any perks, if you're good enough. You can even win with no perks, if you try hard enough.

    MFT was a piece of crap that deserves what it's getting. It'll be a fine, useful perk when the change hits, compared to the badly designed nonsense it is now.

    It still gives the 10 seconds of Endurance when you heal someone, and now it can't be deactivated by Exhaustion so that part is even stronger than it was before. That's a plenty good effect, the Haste if you get hit while in Endurance is now just a situational bonus. As it deserves to be.

    Indeed and I can kite the killer for all generators usually with any perks, however, let's not ignore the fact that most people that play this game are casual players. Not hardcore.

    You do not want to mess with casual player base perks and "balance" around hardcore players, which are much more few and far inbetween. FFXIV is extremely successful, because it caters to the most common gamer, the casual playerbase.

    This post again has rationalization. Sigh.

    This forum is getting exhausting for me, it's like I keep having to explain over and over. I don't use MFT, I tried it with a healing build as I wanted to see how it worked. I don't have issues kiting, so I switched to smash hit instead. Killers on the regular rage quit against me. I don't care.

    Anyway, numbers won't lie, and if this perk is now in such an amazing spot and balanced sooooo well, I'm sure the pick rate and usefulness will be as high as windows! Why didn't I think of that? Jeez.

    It is so obvious it was a character selling perk, only to be nerfed later. I see this with killer and survivor alike. A fool and his money are soon parted so I'm sure this cycle will continue and this stuff will sell quite well. Kind of smart really, I guess.

    But not as smart as catering to the casuals :) My Bfs gaming company does and we make quite a lot of money, the game is he the lead of makes tons and tons of money and they certainly don't pull this kind of stuff. But hey what do I know :)

  • @Ariel_Starshine said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3575777#Comment_3575777

    Indeed and I can kite the killer for all generators usually with any perks, however, let's not ignore the fact that most people that play this game are casual players. Not hardcore.

    You do not want to mess with casual player base perks and "balance" around hardcore players, which are much more few and far inbetween. FFXIV is extremely successful, because it caters to the most common gamer, the casual playerbase.

    This post again has rationalization. Sigh.

    This forum is getting exhausting for me, it's like I keep having to explain over and over. I don't use MFT, I tried it with a healing build as I wanted to see how it worked. I don't have issues kiting, so I switched to smash hit instead. Killers on the regular rage quit against me. I don't care.

    Anyway, numbers won't lie, and if this perk is now in such an amazing spot and balanced sooooo well, I'm sure the pick rate and usefulness will be as high as windows! Why didn't I think of that? Jeez.

    It is so obvious it was a character selling perk, only to be nerfed later. I see this with killer and survivor alike. A fool and his money are soon parted so I'm sure this cycle will continue and this stuff will sell quite well. Kind of smart really, I guess.

    But not as smart as catering to the casuals :) My Bfs gaming company does and we make quite a lot of money, the game is he the lead of makes tons and tons of money and they certainly don't pull this kind of stuff. But hey what do I know :)

    Casual players were fine before MFT and they'll be fine after it.

    The rest of your post is just angry ranting so I'm not going to acknowledge it.

  • I have 4000 hours and I can only manage a 40% escape rate in solo queue. My kill rate is more than double this. It's almost like solo queue is just too hard. The worst part is it's only going to get worse with the maps getting smaller and less safe with every update. SWF is the only way to enjoy playing survivor at the moment. The recent balance changes have turned DBD into a game that favors bad survivors to a game that favors bad killers. This new direction of making it so mediocre killers can compete with top 5% SWFs is just making the game horrible for everyone else.

  • @Lixadonna said:

    Solo rely on perks because Teammates are unreliable. Nerfing good perks makes SWF stronger. Make matchmaking better for Solo

    Translation: Don't nerf busted perks that gives good survivors that knows how to play an unfair advantage, as survivor's skill floor is so low that most of them don't have developed the minimum game sense required to play decently even with hundreds or thousand of hours in the game. So, we need those busted perks to be able to compensate the average survivor lack of skill to win.

  • @Ariel_Starshine said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3575777#Comment_3575777

    Indeed and I can kite the killer for all generators usually with any perks, however, let's not ignore the fact that most people that play this game are casual players. Not hardcore.

    You do not want to mess with casual player base perks and "balance" around hardcore players, which are much more few and far inbetween. FFXIV is extremely successful, because it caters to the most common gamer, the casual playerbase.

    This post again has rationalization. Sigh.

    This forum is getting exhausting for me, it's like I keep having to explain over and over. I don't use MFT, I tried it with a healing build as I wanted to see how it worked. I don't have issues kiting, so I switched to smash hit instead. Killers on the regular rage quit against me. I don't care.

    Anyway, numbers won't lie, and if this perk is now in such an amazing spot and balanced sooooo well, I'm sure the pick rate and usefulness will be as high as windows! Why didn't I think of that? Jeez.

    It is so obvious it was a character selling perk, only to be nerfed later. I see this with killer and survivor alike. A fool and his money are soon parted so I'm sure this cycle will continue and this stuff will sell quite well. Kind of smart really, I guess.

    But not as smart as catering to the casuals :) My Bfs gaming company does and we make quite a lot of money, the game is he the lead of makes tons and tons of money and they certainly don't pull this kind of stuff. But hey what do I know :)

    Funny that you mention FFXIV, because I had seen more and more people complaining that the game has being so simplified in the last expansions that people are losing any interest in raiding anymore, or that Jobs has got so easy that are not as satisfying to play as before.

    Also, you can't compare FFXIV with DbD as one is a pure PvP game, the other is not. In any competitive game the expectation is that someone playing it would get good enough to be able to compete, and balancing the game taking in count those that doesn't want or can't get even the minimum game sense required to play the game effectively only makes those that does get an unfair advantage. So no, "catering to the casual" is not smart or a good thing to do in a PvP game, and in no other PvP game ever the balancing is done around those players.

    Anyway, I don't know what any of this has to do with a problematic perk getting balanced, just as happened with Eruption for example.

  • @Ariel_Starshine said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3575777#Comment_3575777

    Indeed and I can kite the killer for all generators usually with any perks, however, let's not ignore the fact that most people that play this game are casual players. Not hardcore.

    You do not want to mess with casual player base perks and "balance" around hardcore players, which are much more few and far inbetween. FFXIV is extremely successful, because it caters to the most common gamer, the casual playerbase.

    This post again has rationalization. Sigh.

    This forum is getting exhausting for me, it's like I keep having to explain over and over. I don't use MFT, I tried it with a healing build as I wanted to see how it worked. I don't have issues kiting, so I switched to smash hit instead. Killers on the regular rage quit against me. I don't care.

    Anyway, numbers won't lie, and if this perk is now in such an amazing spot and balanced sooooo well, I'm sure the pick rate and usefulness will be as high as windows! Why didn't I think of that? Jeez.

    It is so obvious it was a character selling perk, only to be nerfed later. I see this with killer and survivor alike. A fool and his money are soon parted so I'm sure this cycle will continue and this stuff will sell quite well. Kind of smart really, I guess.

    But not as smart as catering to the casuals :) My Bfs gaming company does and we make quite a lot of money, the game is he the lead of makes tons and tons of money and they certainly don't pull this kind of stuff. But hey what do I know :)

    The big issue with releasing new content, is a phenomenon you see in all of gaming.

    If you make that new content underpowered, then the initial impression is that it's bad and not worth anything. The people who do buy it get upset that their money is wasted, and cry out, and unless you buff it to insane degrees, that first impression unfortunately sticks, and it takes months or even years to shake it off even if it is then balanced.

    If you make things overpowered, then people buy it, love it, and your first impression is really good, it sells well... then it starts to cause problems in your game. You now have to nerf it... which comes with huge loss aversion blowback, as we're seeing now with MFT. If you don't nerf it, you've now got to raise everything else up to the same level, and that then introduces power creep as the new problem.

    So it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Ideally everything is balanced day 1... but that's unrealistic to expect... so unfortunately just cause of the market, us players kinda force developers to release content in an overpowered state to be on the safer side of making money on that new content... and devs then have to then decide between power creep and loss aversion nerfs.

    The latter is better for game health by a country mile because power creep has destroyed many many games, but the former is better for community relations, cause people hate losing things way more than the positive feeling they get gaining things.

    So sadly there is no right answer really unless you as developer trust yourself to nail balance perfectly every time... and I don't think anyone on earth can pull that off.

  • @Lixadonna said:

    Solo rely on perks because Teammates are unreliable. Nerfing good perks makes SWF stronger. Make matchmaking better for Solo

    I already made a post talking about a similar subject, at the time I said that some features should be exclusive to solo that, if players were inviting friends to play, these features would be disabled for them, for example, the "kindred" and "bond" perks they could be a basic kit (less efficient of course) for those who play solo, but if the person is playing in swf they would need to use the perk for such features

    But that's a fact, soloQ pays the price when the pro players get too strong, but that's the fault of the devs who insist on not wanting to create something exclusive for solo Q

    For example, I started looking for people in communities to play dbd in swf, because playing soloq is a problem, but I agree with people who say that the strong perk needs nerfing, but they nerfed killer perks like "call of brine" and "eruption", and it was a deserved nerf, because these perks only worked destructively against solo Q but against swf it didn't change much, so killers often also get nerfs as well as survs, the problem is that the nerf affects who should not be affected

  • @Lixadonna said:

    Solo rely on perks because Teammates are unreliable. Nerfing good perks makes SWF stronger. Make matchmaking better for Solo

    I created a new topic so that MMR ranks are calculated separately for solo and group play and used accordingly

  • They aren't nerfing the perks that solo queue need, though.

    What perks help with the gap between solo queue and SWF? Typically, it's information perks, as that's one of the main things you're losing when you can't coordinate with your teammates... and no perk in the game can make up for teammates who just aren't interested in playing well. The specific info perks that solo queue players would make most use out of - things like Bond and Kindred, Empathy, the new(ish) perk Troubleshooter - aren't typically the ones that get nerf attention. Heck, even Windows, a perk with moderate solo queue usage, hasn't actually been nerfed despite it (mystifyingly) getting a lot of hate.

    The issue arises when people think of solo queue as directionlessly hard, like every single element of the game is dramatically harder for solo queue. This isn't the case. Chasing is pretty much exactly the same whether you're in a SWF or not, with the only real difference being the potential for a bodyblock in key moments when you can coordinate. Chasing on your own, though, is exactly the same... and MFT is a chase perk. It being nerfed doesn't unfairly hurt solo queue because it affects one element of the game that isn't different between solo and SWF anyway.

    It's mostly the same for other perks that get nerfed, too. The only one I can think of even semi-recently that solo queue did make more use of than SWF was Circle of Healing, and it's not as though it being nerfed actually hurt. Sure, you can't heal yourself ultra-efficiently anymore, but... good? That was bad for the game, even if it helped mitigate annoying teammates. You can still heal yourself quick enough for it to be viable, and you can still get healed by teammates. So, even that isn't an example of widening the solo/SWF gap.

  • @jesterkind said:

    They aren't nerfing the perks that solo queue need, though.

    What perks help with the gap between solo queue and SWF? Typically, it's information perks, as that's one of the main things you're losing when you can't coordinate with your teammates... and no perk in the game can make up for teammates who just aren't interested in playing well. The specific info perks that solo queue players would make most use out of - things like Bond and Kindred, Empathy, the new(ish) perk Troubleshooter - aren't typically the ones that get nerf attention. Heck, even Windows, a perk with moderate solo queue usage, hasn't actually been nerfed despite it (mystifyingly) getting a lot of hate.

    The issue arises when people think of solo queue as directionlessly hard, like every single element of the game is dramatically harder for solo queue. This isn't the case. Chasing is pretty much exactly the same whether you're in a SWF or not, with the only real difference being the potential for a bodyblock in key moments when you can coordinate. Chasing on your own, though, is exactly the same... and MFT is a chase perk. It being nerfed doesn't unfairly hurt solo queue because it affects one element of the game that isn't different between solo and SWF anyway.

    It's mostly the same for other perks that get nerfed, too. The only one I can think of even semi-recently that solo queue did make more use of than SWF was Circle of Healing, and it's not as though it being nerfed actually hurt. Sure, you can't heal yourself ultra-efficiently anymore, but... good? That was bad for the game, even if it helped mitigate annoying teammates. You can still heal yourself quick enough for it to be viable, and you can still get healed by teammates. So, even that isn't an example of widening the solo/SWF gap.

    Do you think that there are maniacs who will never be able to defeat a group of players? Why? We need to weaken this small advantage if it exists.

    If there are maniacs who can win, then they should be placed against players in the group and without MMR according to their rank.

    According to what I said above, assign each player a different rank for group play and solo play and give opponents based on the assigned ranks.

    Also, in addition to ranks, there should be a link between the difficulty of the match for survivors and the ability in each match to start all the generators and supply power to the gate; if only a couple of generators are started, this is clearly not the appropriate opponent and the rank of the maniac needs to be increased.

    I hope no one minds that in every match the survivors have the opportunity to supply power to the gate, but it is not a fact that they will escape through it, and also that this scenario is better than the scenario of a genrush or the quick death of all survivors.

  • @I_CAME said:

    I have 4000 hours and I can only manage a 40% escape rate in solo queue. My kill rate is more than double this. It's almost like solo queue is just too hard. The worst part is it's only going to get worse with the maps getting smaller and less safe with every update. SWF is the only way to enjoy playing survivor at the moment. The recent balance changes have turned DBD into a game that favors bad survivors to a game that favors bad killers. This new direction of making it so mediocre killers can compete with top 5% SWFs is just making the game horrible for everyone else.

    Literally me.