Dedicated Servers are bad or good?

Many people are happy, because the devs said it.
Finally dedicated servers.
But i think this will be bad.
And i think i have good reasons for that.

1.Again a winter patch with bugs.
This time the bugs arent funny, like last time.
Oh, i love Myers with chainsaw and the 4 Dying Lights in my perk build............
Yeah, this time, the bugs are game breaking, because the new engine.
Sounds, scratch marks and maps are buged.
2.Its DbD, they dont test many things.
Or balance many things.
Surveillance?1 Year since release. And it had only 10 seconds in the pig trailer.
3.Dedicated Servers + DbD Devs + New Engine = Generator Jake will make a new great meme video

Conclusion:
Pls just make Dedicated Servers.
I want a new video from Generator Jake.

Tagged: ACMMod

Comments

  • Will be bad for lagswitchers :)
  • @Vietfox said:
    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    To be fair.
    Im main killer.
    And i got some lag switchers, when i play killer.
    Teleporting survivors.
    Soo, if someone want to hack in a game.
    This person can do it.
    And then get banned.

  • ShyN3ko said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    To be fair.
    Im main killer.
    And i got some lag switchers, when i play killer.
    Teleporting survivors.
    Soo, if someone want to hack in a game.
    This person can do it.
    And then get banned.

    Survivors can't lagswitch lol
  • @DwightsLifeMatters said:
    ShyN3ko said:

    @Vietfox said:

    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    To be fair.

    Im main killer.

    And i got some lag switchers, when i play killer.

    Teleporting survivors.

    Soo, if someone want to hack in a game.

    This person can do it.

    And then get banned.

    Survivors can't lagswitch lol

    Yeah i know.
    I know that.
    But it looks like lag switching.
    I mean, 1 survivors teleporting around the map.
    And he/she is faster then me.
    This is totally a hack, but it looks like lagswitching.
    Tru3talent had sometimes this survivors, too.
    I think he cliped them.
    If you dont trust me, then just search.

  • @Vietfox said:
    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    In over 2 years of playing DBD I have encountered only 2 laggswitchers. Most of the time when a survivor is crying about laggswitching, its hsi sister fault for starting a netflix stream or sth.

    What I am concerned about is the impact dedicated servers will have on stuff like 360s, huntress hatchets etc. I already had quite some bad experiences in certain shooters where you actually had an advantage if you play with a ~200 ping

  • @Master said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    In over 2 years of playing DBD I have encountered only 2 laggswitchers. Most of the time when a survivor is crying about laggswitching, its hsi sister fault for starting a netflix stream or sth.

    What I am concerned about is the impact dedicated servers will have on stuff like 360s, huntress hatchets etc. I already had quite some bad experiences in certain shooters where you actually had an advantage if you play with a ~200 ping

    Yeah, it will be interesting.
    1 time they test a new hitbox for huntress hatches.
    But after 1 week, they removed it.
    Because it was buggy and rly frustrating.
    DbD Devs and new big things are always interesting.

  • @DwightsLifeMatters said:
    ShyN3ko said:

    @Vietfox said:

    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    To be fair.

    Im main killer.

    And i got some lag switchers, when i play killer.

    Teleporting survivors.

    Soo, if someone want to hack in a game.

    This person can do it.

    And then get banned.

    Survivors can't lagswitch lol

    I found 1 clip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khnDcuAA2ag

  • @ShyN3ko said:

    @Master said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    In over 2 years of playing DBD I have encountered only 2 laggswitchers. Most of the time when a survivor is crying about laggswitching, its hsi sister fault for starting a netflix stream or sth.

    What I am concerned about is the impact dedicated servers will have on stuff like 360s, huntress hatchets etc. I already had quite some bad experiences in certain shooters where you actually had an advantage if you play with a ~200 ping

    Yeah, it will be interesting.
    1 time they test a new hitbox for huntress hatches.
    But after 1 week, they removed it.
    Because it was buggy and rly frustrating.
    DbD Devs and new big things are always interesting.

    Well the problem with dedicated servers is that they cant simply remove them after 1 week again. They need to do everything perfectly on the first try or we will have very big issues that will remain for quite some time in the game. Knowing BHVRs history, I have my doubts whether they can achieve that.....

  • @Master said:

    @ShyN3ko said:

    @Master said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    In over 2 years of playing DBD I have encountered only 2 laggswitchers. Most of the time when a survivor is crying about laggswitching, its hsi sister fault for starting a netflix stream or sth.

    What I am concerned about is the impact dedicated servers will have on stuff like 360s, huntress hatchets etc. I already had quite some bad experiences in certain shooters where you actually had an advantage if you play with a ~200 ping

    Yeah, it will be interesting.
    1 time they test a new hitbox for huntress hatches.
    But after 1 week, they removed it.
    Because it was buggy and rly frustrating.
    DbD Devs and new big things are always interesting.

    Well the problem with dedicated servers is that they cant simply remove them after 1 week again. They need to do everything perfectly on the first try or we will have very big issues that will remain for quite some time in the game. Knowing BHVRs history, I have my doubts whether they can achieve that.....

    Just lets watch.
    Get some popcorn and enjoy the show.
    I guess?

  • Master said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    In over 2 years of playing DBD I have encountered only 2 laggswitchers. Most of the time when a survivor is crying about laggswitching, its hsi sister fault for starting a netflix stream or sth.

    What I am concerned about is the impact dedicated servers will have on stuff like 360s, huntress hatchets etc. I already had quite some bad experiences in certain shooters where you actually had an advantage if you play with a ~200 ping

    @Master
    Yeah, but i'm pretty sure that i've played more as a survivor than you, meaning that i've had to deal with a few more. And no, it wasn't because my internet.
    Not only that, random lagspikes even when the ping is green. Impossible hits 3 meters away and behind the killer, etc...
    If you have a decent internet connection i think you shouldn't worry about it, we'll see anyway.
  • Dedicated servers have their pros and cons, like everything else. They're not a magic pill that will solve all the game's network-related problems.

  • ShyN3ko said:

    @Vietfox said:
    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    To be fair.
    Im main killer.
    And i got some lag switchers, when i play killer.
    Teleporting survivors.
    Soo, if someone want to hack in a game.
    This person can do it.
    And then get banned.

    Survivors can't lagswitch lol
    You obviously don't know what lag switching is. Survivors can do it too.
  • @DwightsLifeMatters said:
    ShyN3ko said:

    @Vietfox said:

    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    To be fair.

    Im main killer.

    And i got some lag switchers, when i play killer.

    Teleporting survivors.

    Soo, if someone want to hack in a game.

    This person can do it.

    And then get banned.

    Survivors can't lagswitch lol

    They can, but it does not appear as teleporting.

  • @Vietfox said:
    Master said:

    @Vietfox said:

    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    In over 2 years of playing DBD I have encountered only 2 laggswitchers. Most of the time when a survivor is crying about laggswitching, its hsi sister fault for starting a netflix stream or sth.

    What I am concerned about is the impact dedicated servers will have on stuff like 360s, huntress hatchets etc. I already had quite some bad experiences in certain shooters where you actually had an advantage if you play with a ~200 ping

    @Master
    Yeah, but i'm pretty sure that i've played more as a survivor than you, meaning that i've had to deal with a few more. And no, it wasn't because my internet.
    Not only that, random lagspikes even when the ping is green. Impossible hits 3 meters away and behind the killer, etc...
    If you have a decent internet connection i think you shouldn't worry about it, we'll see anyway.

    Laggspikes is not laggswitching.

    No matter how decent my connection is, that doesnt change that fact that the game doesnt run on real time on my own computer anymore which means that 360ing will be delayed on ym screen, but I still need to hit a survivor moving at light speed around me :wink:

    And regarding shooters, as I said, in rainbow (in the beginning) you could gain an advantage by increasing your ping since you were able to walk out cover before the enemy even sees you. Guess how such an implementation would affect huntress hitboxes

  • Vietfox said:
    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)
    To be fair. There are way less lag switchers than people think. Most suspected lag switchers are simply lag spikes. 
  • @Master
    I know they are not the same, that's why i separated them  >_<
  • Dcers will finally get banned?
  • @Fenrir said:
    Dcers will finally get banned?

    Thats my only hope

  • Master said:

    @Fenrir said:
    Dcers will finally get banned?

    Thats my only hope

    I lost hope long ago so hope for me
  • @Fenrir said:
    Dcers will finally get banned?

    They've been getting banned on Pc for quite some time already and consoles have had to wait on Sony/Microsoft to sing the agreements with Sony being the usual pain about it.

  • @ShyN3ko said:

    @DwightsLifeMatters said:
    ShyN3ko said:

    @Vietfox said:

    Will be bad for lagswitchers :)

    To be fair.

    Im main killer.

    And i got some lag switchers, when i play killer.

    Teleporting survivors.

    Soo, if someone want to hack in a game.

    This person can do it.

    And then get banned.

    Survivors can't lagswitch lol

    I found 1 clip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khnDcuAA2ag

    God, do i miss those T H I C C Perk borders.

  • As others have stated, there are pros and cons. Lagg, will get worse overall, as the data flows survivor-server-killer, and vice versa. When both the survivor and killer perform a conflicting action at the same time, who wins? The servers will need to make these decisions, as will the game clients (your console or PC). If you have played an MMO, that is the kind of performance that you can expect AT BEST!

    If you lagg switch, you will lose, as your data will get to the server after that of your opponent. However, rubber-banding is going to be hell for those with a latency > 80ms to the server. Rubber-banding is fine in PvE, but in PvP it’s a complete mess. We’ll have to wait and see how BHVR implements this, but I’m extremely leery.

  • @powerbats said:

    @Fenrir said:
    Dcers will finally get banned?

    They've been getting banned on Pc for quite some time already and consoles have had to wait on Sony/Microsoft to sing the agreements with Sony being the usual pain about it.

    Dont fool yourself, just an hour ago I had a game where all survivors ragequit and they were like "what do you expect, we always do this when a killer tries to win"

    Real punishment is punishment you can actually feel, i.e. you get a queue timer which increases the more you DC and eventually if you DC like crazy, then you will get banned too

  • Okay.... so here's what I find kind of.... idk... interesting I guess... I'm not complaining because the devs should do this anyways but--------> why put the effort and money towards optimizing the game on P2P when their going to switch to dedicated servers which requires a complete code overhaul anyways.. this idk it doesnt make sense... like okay we have months... but it's going to take a few months to optimize the game anyways so by the time it's optimized it's going to be time for DS which could set the game back from the point the game is at like we could have a great running game and then get dedicated servers and then the game could be a mess again....
  • @Bravo0413 game optimization, primarily graphics optimization, has absolutely nothing at all to do with dedicated servers. The code for each is isolated by an abstraction layer, so changes to either side don’t affect the other. If the interface between the 2 changes, then yes, there would be additional work, but those types of changes would be very small. The controller/keyboard, sound, and graphics, are a single unit, which is what was recently upgraded. The game engine, scripting engine, and communications, are separate units. It is the latter that requires changes to support dedicated servers.

  • @Master said:

    @powerbats said:

    @Fenrir said:
    Dcers will finally get banned?

    They've been getting banned on Pc for quite some time already and consoles have had to wait on Sony/Microsoft to sing the agreements with Sony being the usual pain about it.

    Dont fool yourself, just an hour ago I had a game where all survivors ragequit and they were like "what do you expect, we always do this when a killer tries to win"

    Real punishment is punishment you can actually feel, i.e. you get a queue timer which increases the more you DC and eventually if you DC like crazy, then you will get banned too

    You should take your own advice because people that don't want to get punished will say that so that you won't report them. In this case since dc's are automatically checked I highly doubt they do it that often since otherwise they'd be banned already.

    I can remember all the people on League that used to say the exact same thing then I'd see them later on the forums complaining about said bans.

    The people you had probably just said that to piss you ff knowing if they actually did it all the time they'd get banned. It'd be even funnier if they came on the forums after getting banned saying they didn't deserve it, but most likely they'd post on Reddit or Steam.

  • it will lead to problems that people aren't considering

  • Kaelum said:

    @Bravo0413 game optimization, primarily graphics optimization, has absolutely nothing at all to do with dedicated servers. The code for each is isolated by an abstraction layer, so changes to either side don’t affect the other. If the interface between the 2 changes, then yes, there would be additional work, but those types of changes would be very small. The controller/keyboard, sound, and graphics, are a single unit, which is what was recently upgraded. The game engine, scripting engine, and communications, are separate units. It is the latter that requires changes to support dedicated servers.


    But switching the game to dedicated servers requires different code or am I wrong? Please correct so I don't sound like an moron... because I've been told going from p2p to dedicated requires to overhaul the code... so to optimize the game now only to be also working towards dedicated servers I find wierd.. again im not whining because I want the best gameplay just like the next player 

  • @Bravo0413 there is not only 1 piece of code. The code is broken up into multiple modules. As I stated in my previous post, there is no overlap. The modules that need to be changed for the dedicated servers, are NOT the modules that affect game performance (i.e. graphics, sounds, controls). The networking will completely change, and there is performance tuning in that, but again, it has nothing to do with the current performance updates.

  • powerbats said:

    @Fenrir said:
    Dcers will finally get banned?

    They've been getting banned on Pc for quite some time already and consoles have had to wait on Sony/Microsoft to sing the agreements with Sony being the usual pain about it.

    I doubt that because ive seen alot of youtubers videos and my gameplay experience to know thats not true
  • @yeet said:
    it will lead to problems that people aren't considering

    Many problems.
    Rly many problems.
    I will get popcorn for the show :3

  • @Fenrir said:
    I doubt that because ive seen alot of youtubers videos and my gameplay experience to know thats not true

    Well, you clearly haven't seen the threads from people who were banned complaining that they'd been banned.

  • Comment, because chinese spam bot

  • There no way to know until we actually get them, it really depend on how much money they are ready to spend in the server.

  • @Dragonredking said:
    There no way to know until we actually get them, it really depend on how much money they are ready to spend in the server.

    They had a lot of DLC.
    I think they have enough money.

  • ShyN3ko said:

    @Dragonredking said:
    There no way to know until we actually get them, it really depend on how much money they are ready to spend in the server.

    They had a lot of DLC.
    I think they have enough money.

    They had to buy their own game for 12 million $.
    They might be a little short on cash.
    Don't believe me? Just look at the ridiculous short presentation during the game awards (probably expensive) and the ridiculous high prices of legion skins. 
  • @powerbats said:

    @Master said:

    @powerbats said:

    @Fenrir said:
    Dcers will finally get banned?

    They've been getting banned on Pc for quite some time already and consoles have had to wait on Sony/Microsoft to sing the agreements with Sony being the usual pain about it.

    Dont fool yourself, just an hour ago I had a game where all survivors ragequit and they were like "what do you expect, we always do this when a killer tries to win"

    Real punishment is punishment you can actually feel, i.e. you get a queue timer which increases the more you DC and eventually if you DC like crazy, then you will get banned too

    You should take your own advice because people that don't want to get punished will say that so that you won't report them. In this case since dc's are automatically checked I highly doubt they do it that often since otherwise they'd be banned already.

    I can remember all the people on League that used to say the exact same thing then I'd see them later on the forums complaining about said bans.

    The people you had probably just said that to piss you ff knowing if they actually did it all the time they'd get banned. It'd be even funnier if they came on the forums after getting banned saying they didn't deserve it, but most likely they'd post on Reddit or Steam.

    I really dont know what you are trying to tell me.
    Fact is that you can have an absurd number of DCs without ever being punished