Do you think tunnelling is fair?

I am asking your thoughts on this mechanic.


To me, tunnelling is very unhealthy and outdated mechanic. Killer player is just destroying fun for survivor player and not letting them to play game. Ofcourse blame is not going to killer player, it's mechanic in the game. BHVR takes all blame and shame here for not addressing this issue.

I am not saying destroy killer gameplay and make win imposible for them. No. Tunnelling and camping should be less viable but killers should be rewarded by when they go for hooks. Reward killer player for getting hooks from different survivors. Reward killer for chasing well. But tunnelling and camping should not be rewarded because they are very unskilled strategies.

Comments

  • tunneling = mechanic? ahahah

    tunneling is a made up word for a strategy that everyone uses irl, animals, people, everyone, the smartest and the most optimal strategy to focus on 1 thing at the time, be it your prey, job, lifegoal or anything else.

    as someone said doing 1 generator is the same thing, why you don't spread repair progress between them all? in your own twisted definition of fairness it's unfair. But here we come to the obvious, you're just biased survivor player and every killer who actually plays good is toxic and unfair.

    Devs already reward killers for spreading hooks, perks like pain resonance and no way out are the only reasons I spread hooks, mostly pain resonance in this meta of mft+hope NWO is often useless. While pain resonance is 25% I'm ok with spreading some hooks, if it ever gets nerfed there will be 0 reward for spreading hooks, so enjoy while it lasts.

  • @M1_gamer said:

    its fine. im starting to like it more. whats not to love about being chased alot? isn't that the most fun a survivor can have? or are holding m1 on gens more fun lol.

    I do enjoy holding M1.. Hitting great skill checks is very satisfying.. I just wish, we could have the old Hex: Ruin back, so it'd be even easier due to the highlighted skill checks in red color and its pointer in golden yellow color..

    Being chased can be fun, but depends majorly on the killer and its perks. For example, it's not fun to play against killers like the Blight with Alchemist's Ring or all of the M1 killers with Bamboozle. However, it is a lot of fun to play chases around other killers, especially the Wesker while you're healthy and aren't put into the unfair odds, because the killer can then simply M1 you and you can't do anything about it.

    Plague abusing its faster movement speed while holding down the purge, only to get closer to you and M1 you while you can't do anything about it. The same goes for the Wraith using the purple add-ons for faster breaking of pallets, uncloaking speed or movement speed while cloaked with Bamboozle and outrunning you to the window, using his hitbox to make your window vault impossible and easily M1 you down.

  • @Neprašheart said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3512406#Comment_3512406

    I do enjoy holding M1.. Hitting great skill checks is very satisfying.. I just wish, we could have the old Hex: Ruin back, so it'd be even easier due to the highlighted skill checks in red color and its pointer in golden yellow color..

    Being chased can be fun, but depends majorly on the killer and its perks. For example, it's not fun to play against killers like the Blight with Alchemist's Ring or all of the M1 killers with Bamboozle. However, it is a lot of fun to play chases around other killers, especially the Wesker while you're healthy and aren't put into the unfair odds, because the killer can then simply M1 you and you can't do anything about it.

    Plague abusing its faster movement speed while holding down the purge, only to get closer to you and M1 you while you can't do anything about it. The same goes for the Wraith using the purple add-ons for faster breaking of pallets, uncloaking speed or movement speed while cloaked with Bamboozle and outrunning you to the window, using his hitbox to make your window vault impossible and easily M1 you down.

    ngl old ruin did make gens more interesting lol gens currently are real boring and not interesting. bhvr should do somthing to make the main objective for survivor more interesting and ingaging.

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3509878#Comment_3509878

    If you just let the person get tunneled, the game is a 3v1.

    3v1 is harder for survivors than a 4v1.

    It's simple math. Most times, some altruism is required for the best result.

    The longer the 4 survivors are alive, the best for the survivor team.

    No one can force you to not tunnel, usually.

    But reseting the chase and bloodlust for the other survivor is sometimes enough to waste enough of your time

    If you just let the person get tunneled, and you're all on gens while I do so, the game is a 3v1 with 1-2 gens left and no progress on hooking the other survivors, and you have a chance.

    If you all hop off of gens and start parading around the map trying to jump in front of me, it's now a 3v1 with multiple injured survivors and 4-5 gens left, and your team is toast.

    It's simple math.

    If I'm tunneling, the only thing I'm scared off is that the person in question knows how to loop and the rest of you do gens. I hope you try to stop me. I'm counting on it.

  • @M1_gamer said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3512440#Comment_3512440

    ngl old ruin did make gens more interesting lol gens currently are real boring and not interesting. bhvr should do somthing to make the main objective for survivor more interesting and ingaging.

    Heh, yeah.. Getting one and a half generator done by the time two survivors had six hooks (yeah, they were sacrificed by that time) while the third one got hooked for the first time, while I was the only one alive was a lot of fun.

    I dunno.. It's probably nostalgia and players treating the game more casually. There wasn't as much camping, tunneling, and players using the sweatiest add-ons and items like nowadays, but that's to be expected given the reduced grind. It's a shame, business took over fun once more and ruined what I've loved so much..

    Although you do have a point, I'm against your suggestion.. At least, not right now. As long as the killer and survivor can see from one side of the map to the other side of the map, no additional objectives are necessary. If we wanna add that objective, then we shall have some more hide'n'seek elements built into the game, not what it is now. I do miss the old fog and dark maps..

  • @Neprašheart said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3512442#Comment_3512442

    Heh, yeah.. Getting one and a half generator done by the time two survivors had six hooks (yeah, they were sacrificed by that time) while the third one got hooked for the first time, while I was the only one alive was a lot of fun.

    I dunno.. It's probably nostalgia and players treating the game more casually. There wasn't as much camping, tunneling, and players using the sweatiest add-ons and items like nowadays, but that's to be expected given the reduced grind. It's a shame, business took over fun once more and ruined what I've loved so much..

    Although you do have a point, I'm against your suggestion.. At least, not right now. As long as the killer and survivor can see from one side of the map to the other side of the map, no additional objectives are necessary. If we wanna add that objective, then we shall have some more hide'n'seek elements built into the game, not what it is now. I do miss the old fog and dark maps..

    Are you saying you'd rather have the grind back?

  • Given the bonus bloodpoints at different times of the day - Yes. I don't wanna deal with X Toolboxes and BNPs every single match and have each match ending within four minutes.. That's not a lot of fun, you know?

    .. I guess, I wouldn't mind it back even if it meant no bonus bloodpoints at those different times of the day.


    It's probably cool for those players with competitive mindset and SWF premades who do use the sweatiest add-ons 24/7, but for casual players like me, who do prefer playing killers and survivors without any add-ons, items, and offerings.. The current lowered grind means encountering even more such players, and I do no longer have the energy to keep up with that.

  • @Neprašheart said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3512540#Comment_3512540

    Given the bonus bloodpoints at different times of the day - Yes. I don't wanna deal with X Toolboxes and BNPs every single match and have each match ending within four minutes.. That's not a lot of fun, you know?

    .. I guess, I wouldn't mind it back even if it meant no bonus bloodpoints at those different times of the day.

    It's probably cool for those players with competitive mindset and SWF premades who do use the sweatiest add-ons 24/7, but for casual players like me, who do prefer playing killers and survivors without any add-ons, items, and offerings.. The current lowered grind means encountering even more such players, and I do no longer have the energy to keep up with that.

    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

  • @Akumakaji said:

    No, but neither is splitting up on gens 2s after the trial starts. Both playstyles are the optimal one, and botj back he other side against the wall, forcing them to step up their game and play more optimal themselves, or perish and get ridiculed "gg eeeeez".

    The community optimised the game with not much wriggle room left. What the game needs would be a big reset, right now he killer is screwed if they allowed to enter 3gen stage with 4 survivors, but with 3 gens popping first chase, tunneling is basically their only option, baring massive survivor misplays at the start. And with killers ob high alert and out for blood from the start, survivors have to push that gens asap.

    We need a system overhaul: killers needs fo get more out of hooks without killing anyone, feeding the Entity survivors hope in the lore, but doing so isn't supported by the system. And right now ganging up on gens is discouraged, splitting up is the way to go and genetates trippel the amount of pressure.

    If they changed this, ie getting killers to go for 8 hooks before the kill and suevivors to do one gen at a time, then the game would be in a much better state, but as of now its a deadly race to see which side can tunnel their objective fastes.

    I honestly am not sure what game you’re playing where survivors get 3 gens during first chase, but let me in the game? Lol I just don’t see this happen as much but I also don’t play as killer. My best solution would be to use corrupt and if you aren’t getting the survivor in your first chase, leave them and go to the gens where the survivors are. Getting 3 gen’d during first chase may a you problem and not in a mean way. Just saying it’s rare to see that happen and when I do play as killer rarely, if I’m not getting a survivor in chase I will leave them and find another.

  • being tunneled is the best part

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3509710#Comment_3509710

    This is assuming that an increase in MMR is desirable.

    Increased MMR isn't necessarily synonymous with "winning". It's synonymous with killing.

    If you want to play for hooks over kills, then you can still do so, and your MMR won't increase as much, and you'll face opponents against whom this win condition will be more applicable.

    That logic would only apply if MMR is strict. However it doesn’t due to queue time priority. It’s no secret that people get mismatched in lobbies frequently, so going for hooks wouldnt stop you from being matched against potatoes or better players.

  • Tunneling is fair for the simple reason that there is no rule against it. Same with camping, genrushing, etc. Also people who set the rules aka developpers stated multiple times that it is fair. So regardless of anyone's subjective feelings, it is objectively fair.

    It's also not a mechanic, at least in my understanding of the word. Hooking is a mechanic, mori is a mechanic, sabo is a mechanic. Basically to be a mechanic, it needs to be something, well... mechanical 😁 Tunnerling is more of a strategy or a playstyle.

    The problem with tunneling is that it's often frustrating to the person on the recieving end, but it also is a very practically efficient way to get kills. To change that you need:

    • Make it a really impratical and weak strategy
    • Heavily incentivize people to go for a different strategy by giving them some kind of reward
    • Change the win condition altogether in the MMR

    Not about how to do that (and whether it's actually worth spending effort doing that, because it probably will take a lot of effort) - I don't know, that's for devs to figure out.

  • I don't think tunneling is healthy for the game nor is it the most fun part of the game.

    I think the idea that I am in "danger" simply because the killer decided to come back while in a game where I cannot fight back is not well-designed. Perks can help but that is not the point at all IMO, it's also the reason I never take off OTR because I feel like one mistake (on the killer's part) and they switch to the easiest thing (tunnel).

    No person wearing a flat cap will ever convince me otherwise.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    I don't think tunneling is healthy for the game nor is it the most fun part of the game.

    I think the idea that I am in "danger" simply because the killer decided to come back while in a game where I cannot fight back is not well-designed. Perks can help but that is not the point at all IMO, it's also the reason I never take off OTR because I feel like one mistake (on the killer's part) and they switch to the easiest thing (tunnel).

    No person wearing a flat cap will ever convince me otherwise.

    Oi!

    Thats bloodeh survivor biased mate, just like the devs always catering to these low lvl survivors and shafting killer at every turn! I play in MAX MMR vs COMP SWF every match, ya priff.

  • @drakolyr said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3510262#Comment_3510262

    Its more off an design flaw.

    Tunneling isnt that much wanted from the dev's, otherwise they wouldnt give you tools for it.

    Its not a skill issue for survivors, since ressources are sparce and they killer is made to win.

    So its just bad game design, they tried to fix it with band aids who dont really work.

    By that logic you shouldn’t fix gens either because regression exists.

    The existence of a counter doesn’t invalidate the play.

1 2 3 4 ›