I am conflicted with the new chapter
On one hand, it's great to see different type of Killer, something like set up / area denier which is very unique.
On the other hand, people will probably not enjoy this killer much at all. Since they are not primarly chase killer, they will just protect / camp gens. Which results in boring games and long ones.
Comments
Honestly all the people that prefer chase killers can suck it up plain and simple. We get 3-4 chase killers every year where as those of us that like set up killers haven't gotten one since hag all the way back in 2016. We can have one new setup killer 7 years later can't we?
They just need to buff SM's numbers a bit so she can do things besides 3 gen and she'll be great.
It's true that she is finaly after 7 years another set up type of Killer that rely on the set up rather than some chase power. That's something I really wanted!
It’s just that set up killers (believe me I love my Trapper) don’t have enough going for them in most cases. So people are rightly worried SM will meet the same fate. People for years have been calling for Trapper to be buffed by just giving him all his traps, Freddy’s Snares are useless now, only Hag has true viability but she can be defeated by a flashlight.
If they just addressed issues with the trap killers I feel like SM could be more well regarded.
I mean that's the duality right? You can be Hag near the top or Trapper near the bottom.
Right now SM unfortunately is admittedly closer to Trapper but they don't have to stay that way, I think if they buff her stealth and let her setup drones faster so she feels more fluid along with a few add-on adjustments because dear lord iri manuscript is an abomination she'll be a solid midpoint between Hag and Trapper.
I feel like taking away the aura the drones put up should be a start. That plus the icon telling you that your being watched is WAY to much information for survivors to have.
For me, it’s not that she has no chase capability. The choice on the set up item is so BORING.
drones? Come on, we can do better than that
On a broad conceptual level, I think the idea isn't bad. I for one get really exasperated every time a new killer comes out without a strong anti-chase and the sheeple are like "oMG, nO CHasE poWEr? tRASh Tier!", as if chase/looping is the only thing in the game that matters.
It's lame, and I actually like that the last few killers (save Wesker) have been moving in a different direction.
That said, the follow through on the this killer's design is trash tier, and takes what was wrong with the last killer and somehow makes it worse.
Is some of the angst just due to unmet expectations (for a cyborg killer)? Sure. But the chapter is still phoned in filler.
Problem is set up killers usually have a really hard time in this game.
I really love trapper but man its hard to do something decent. SM looks close to trapper so unless she get some serious buffs it looks bad.
Yes you can see survs far away and do nothing about it.
Chase killer good. Area denial bad.
Not everyone cares for the viability of a Killer.
But what do you buff that doesn't make the 3gen even worse but adds more elsewhere? That is the question.
Buff the cooldown on throwing out drones or get rid of it entirely and make the drones activate faster, if you make them feel more fluid in chase camping gens with them seems less appealing.
Alternatively make the stealth last longer outside the zone so you don't have to feel like you need to stay inside to have your full power.
Currently you can place the drones next to each other close enough that you can make a path and keep your stealth up for a pretty long distance but that loses it's appeal when that path is glowing bright orange so survivors know the general area where you are.
I think the stealth would also needs its initiation cooldown reduced. It's already limited by location, and the drone being activated, why does it take a few seconds to kick in??? If a Survivor is there to notice anyway, it's not like it matters.
I agree it should honestly be instant, to use it in chase for instance you have to throw the drone up in a loop and it takes 4 seconds to activate and then another 3 seconds to proc the stealth that's 7 seconds for a minor advantage in chase on an m1 killer. Give SM instant stealth and lower the drone activation time by 1 second and it would feel dramatically better.
For sure. I have my moments where I am feeling competitive and sweaty, but generally I want to have fun, even if I know I'm probably gonna lose (I play a lot of Trapper, but play for fun with him). While I will load up more powerful killers and play for blood (unsully right before rank reset), many of my favorite killers aren't competitively viable at higher levels, but that isn't my main concern most of the time.
Not every killer needs to be (or should be) designed with winning being the primary factor. Every killer being designed around the same set of parameters (I.e. looping/chase power) would be painfully dull.
My problem with his killer is that she is just boring and undertuned.