Killer Being Able To See Survivors Before Trial

Why can a killer see the survivors before a match? Why do they get time to adjust their build based on what they see awaiting them in the game… yet, survivors can not adjust their build because we have no idea who the killer is going to be.

Killer sees lots of flashlights, cool let me add Lightborn. Killer sees lots of toolkits, let me throw on another Gen regression perk. Med kits? Maybe a bit of Sloppy.

I get that survivors shouldn't see the killer because there would be so much dodging. But that doesn’t mean the killer should be able to see the survivors.

While I’m on the subject, I don’t understand why Console can still not go anonymous? It was there, it worked and got removed. I don’t get it.

Comments

  • survivors used to see the killers before, but that was removed because it would make it impossible for the killer to actually play since the survivors will always choose their weakness

    and honestly if killers couldn't see the survivors you would have one more dcs with the killer seeing 4 flashlights in game and instantly quitting so its better this way

    or seeing franklin's every game

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282959#Comment_3282959

    You can't even say that....with how some impossible blinds happen a Good Killer player may just not want to deal with it and if it's a 4 flashlight bully squad any Killer with a brain cells will put Lightborn on just to avoid the headache....

    I'm a midrange decent Killer player and have had times where I would get blinded by survivors NOT within my FoV while I'm looking right at a wall. So if I don't feel like dealing with multiple flashlights in a single game Lightborn will be put on.

    All hail our lord and saviour Lightborn 😎

  • @jmwjmw27 said:

    I'm fine with killer seeing survivors - if you really want to, you can swap to a different item at the last second so the killer can't counter it, and you can use anonymous mode to prevent most profile snooping / lobby shopping from killers. What I don't like killers seeing in the lobby is survivor prestige levels, as I have to last second swap to my high prestige survivors or it'll take me 10 minutes to get a game with how many killers dodge my lobby.

    Ah yes the last second switch mentality that earns you no killer interaction in my games.

    You want to try hard with your items/prepared loadout survivor main character, be annoying or whatever -> i won't interact with you. Have fun holding M1 or die trying to get my attention.

    At least that was how it usually went with last second switchers. Not saying you are the same, i don't know you and your playtstyle but that's my answer to that particular mechanic.

  • @Steakdabait said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282880#Comment_3282880

    muh 4v1 is a worse take. The game is balanced around being a 4v1, like i just don't understand the statement.

    The game is balanced around 1vs4 base, not with all combination of items, add-ons and/or perks in mind. And even for the base, the balancing is questionable at best.

  • @Mockingjay_S451 said:

    Why can a killer see the survivors before a match? Why do they get time to adjust their build based on what they see awaiting them in the game… yet, survivors can not adjust their build because we have no idea who the killer is going to be.

    Killer sees lots of flashlights, cool let me add Lightborn. Killer sees lots of toolkits, let me throw on another Gen regression perk. Med kits? Maybe a bit of Sloppy.

    I get that survivors shouldn't see the killer because there would be so much dodging. But that doesn’t mean the killer should be able to see the survivors.

    While I’m on the subject, I don’t understand why Console can still not go anonymous? It was there, it worked and got removed. I don’t get it.

    Do you want Franklin's every game? Because that's how you get Franklin's EVERY GAME.

  • @Mockingjay_S451 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282480#Comment_3282480

    This! Because let us also add that you queue for a lobby, then have to queue again where people should be ready but do not go ready. Then somebody leaves and timer starts again.

    You should ready up and go into a match. I don’t care if I see who my fellow survivors are before I go into a match.

    I always communicate if i got a challenge/daily to to, or details about my build, like "i need totems for inner strength", or "i run boons, so dont break every totem you see", or "i run wake up so let me unlook the door, i can do it faster" before the match. It gives the survivors time to adept to their teammates and their builds, too. That most people dont use it doesnt mean noone does.

  • If survivors could see the killer they would pick perks that specifically counter him. Therefore making the game unplayable for the killer.

    The killer also needs to see survivors in order to remember their looks. It helps with hook management in game.

    So all in all nothing should change here.

  • @Jinxed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282834#Comment_3282834

    I disagree. Survivors don't even get information about the perks their own teammates are running if they're solo.

    I don't think they should be able to see the killer in the lobby, as this would be detrimental to stealth killers, but I don't think the killers should have information on the survivors either.

    Survivors are expected to hope for the best in every game they enter, while killers can cherry pick their games/perks if they see too many beamers, toolboxes or medkits. Neither side should have an immediate advantage before the game has even begun.

    They do sometimes if they use the pregame-chat. Thats what its for.

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282475#Comment_3282475

    Who they are and the items they have absolutely should be shown. Prestige levels shouldn't be shown. Your actual name doesn't have to be shown - that's a choice you make. You can literally hide your name in options.

    You can not hide your name on console.

  • @Katzengott said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/356757/killer-being-able-to-see-survivors-before-trial

    And still, survs can quickswitch in the lobby at any time while killers can do the same, but can't change the killer they're playing.

    Also i'm on Xbox Series X and i still can choose anon/streamer mode at any time.

    I would be careful with this. Apparently the option for “streamer mode” is still there on Xbox and PlayStation… but it isn’t actually hiding you. It hides it for you on screen but those in the game with you will still be seeing your gamer tag. I messaged a random playstation user I had in a game to ask what they saw and for me on screen it showed my character name, but they still saw my gamer tag.


    People are saying this is because the respective consoles not agreeing to the streamer modes. So it only really works for those on Steam.

  • @sulaiman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282839#Comment_3282839

    They do sometimes if they use the pregame-chat. Thats what its for.

    Console doesn’t have pregame chat.

  • @Mockingjay_S451 said:

    I do know it is 4v1, I play the game (although I play solo queue and that is at best 2v1 usually). But that doesn’t help me understand why the killer should be able to see who is in the lobby.

    Play killer more to get a better understanding of why this is.

    Hell, I would take it a step further and allow killers to switch their characters.

  • @Jinxed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282834#Comment_3282834

    I disagree. Survivors don't even get information about the perks their own teammates are running if they're solo.

    I don't think they should be able to see the killer in the lobby, as this would be detrimental to stealth killers, but I don't think the killers should have information on the survivors either.

    Survivors are expected to hope for the best in every game they enter, while killers can cherry pick their games/perks if they see too many beamers, toolboxes or medkits. Neither side should have an immediate advantage before the game has even begun.

    You get info on perks run by your teams. Boons,prove thyself,any mean necessary and wake up is shown to team. You probably aren't paying attention then.

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282959#Comment_3282959

    You can't even say that....with how some impossible blinds happen a Good Killer player may just not want to deal with it and if it's a 4 flashlight bully squad any Killer with a brain cells will put Lightborn on just to avoid the headache....

    I'm a midrange decent Killer player and have had times where I would get blinded by survivors NOT within my FoV while I'm looking right at a wall. So if I don't feel like dealing with multiple flashlights in a single game Lightborn will be put on.

    That blinding from outside you POV happens ALL THE TIME! It's one of the stupidest things this game has to offer!

  • @MaTtRoSiTy said:

    A killer who say changes to Lightborn because they see flashlights is probably not the best killer anyway.

    I don't think this is a big issue at all and other than to be annoying I never bother changing anything based on what I see survivors bringing. Though I will tend to tunnel out someone who last second switches to anything, it isn't the item either but rather the dirty tactic of switching that annoys me and will make me punish them for it

    And here I am, just spending bloodpoints on one character and switching last second to the one I want to play, getting tunneled out of the game for "toxic last second item switching" ...

  • @Jinxed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282494#Comment_3282494

    Why should they? Survivors don't get to know if they're playing against nurse.

    16 perks and 4 items (and usually some portion of coordination) vs 4 perks and 1 power

  • @Steakdabait said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282439#Comment_3282439

    playing nurse/blight changes the game A LOT in the killers favor. Nether side should get free info.

    medkits and toolboxes make up 66 percent of the items survs actually use.

    blight and nurse are killers a tiny minority use.

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282959#Comment_3282959

    And here I am, just spending bloodpoints on one character and switching last second to the one I want to play, getting tunneled out of the game for "toxic last second item switching" ...

    Well yeah, sucks to be you if that happens but it was like bringing a green key in the old days... you are still probably going to get tunnelled out. I often switch characters late though as I am spending BP on another one but I often don't bring any items anyway so that makes a difference

  • I disagree, I see no problem with it, personally.

    The only advantage the killer gets from this is seeing what items survivors are bringing, which would very rarely affect the build they decide to bring. I don't know many killers that would swap out a meta perk for something mediocre like Lightborn if they see a lobby with flashlights, or bring Franklin's just because there are a couple of toolboxes. At the end of the day, the true outcome of the match depends on the skill of the players and their perk build; not the items they bring. As I said, would it be really worth the killer's while to waste a perk slot on an item-specific perk just for them to find out it's a brown medkit, or a yellow toolbox?

  • @sonata93 said:

    I disagree, I see no problem with it, personally.

    The only advantage the killer gets from this is seeing what items survivors are bringing, which would very rarely affect the build they decide to bring. I don't know many killers that would swap out a meta perk for something mediocre like Lightborn if they see a lobby with flashlights, or bring Franklin's just because there are a couple of toolboxes. At the end of the day, the true outcome of the match depends on the skill of the players and their perk build; not the items they bring. As I said, would it be really worth the killer's while to waste a perk slot on an item-specific perk just for them to find out it's a brown medkit, or a yellow toolbox?

    2 or more flashlights, i bring lightborn just because i despise having to deal with them. I bring franklins for fun or for a bunch of medkits. toolbox franklins are pointless because they will have used the toolbox before you hit them.

    I dont bother with meta perks, i use whatever perks i enjoy using.


  • @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282959#Comment_3282959

    And here I am, just spending bloodpoints on one character and switching last second to the one I want to play, getting tunneled out of the game for "toxic last second item switching" ...

    Just equip items for both chars then.

  • Yeah it should be hidden. Evil Dead does this.

  • I most likely have. But when the killer really wants to see evil in your actions, any minor lapse will be held against you ^^.

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283361#Comment_3283361

    I most likely have. But when the killer really wants to see evil in your actions, any minor lapse will be held against you ^^.

    In defense of those that deserve it, there was a time where keys were alot stronger with people CONSTANTLY last second swapping to them. Some people have a grudge from those days.

  • I believe usernames should be removed, but seeing items is fair game to me. Survivors are supposed to have the numbers advantage, and Killer is supposed to have the power advantage, and part of that is being able to prepare better.

  • @Rulebreaker said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283376#Comment_3283376

    In defense of those that deserve it, there was a time where keys were alot stronger with people CONSTANTLY last second swapping to them. Some people have a grudge from those days.

    Yeah, I remember that. I'm so glad multi-man hatch escape is no longer a thing.

  • @burt0r said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282867#Comment_3282867

    Ah yes the last second switch mentality that earns you no killer interaction in my games.

    You want to try hard with your items/prepared loadout survivor main character, be annoying or whatever -> i won't interact with you. Have fun holding M1 or die trying to get my attention.

    At least that was how it usually went with last second switchers. Not saying you are the same, i don't know you and your playtstyle but that's my answer to that particular mechanic.

    I don't last second swap items. I was only mentioning it since, with this mechanic in play, the OP's complaint about killers bringing lightborn or whatever in response to items is able to be negated entirely (and is not a reason the killer shouldn't be able to see survivors in the lobby). I personally don't care about last second swaps. I last second swap to my high prestige survivor, because I want to play my favorite survivor without waiting in the lobby for 10+ minutes. If you were to ignore me the entire match because of the swap I wouldn't mind. More time for me to do archives.

  • @CaulDrohn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283417#Comment_3283417

    Yeah, I remember that. I'm so glad multi-man hatch escape is no longer a thing.

    We miss being able to do that strangely enough, though we definitely won't miss instant unlocks.

  • imagine you try to play doctor and all 4 survivors bring calm spirit

  • I dont think it matters that much. A "good killer" wont use lightborn or franklins. A "good killer" will just run the same boring meta crap on every killer over and over, namely gen slowdowns (you know like bhvr was trying to make less of a thing with the meta shakeup lol)

  • Yeah, it's stupid in my opinion. I often take the opportunity to switch builds at the last second before character selection is blocked which means that others have to wait around pointlessly to start a game. It was especially the case before keys were nerfed.

  • I think it makes sense. Usually in horror themes, the killer knows before the survs do. I actually wish tho, that survs could see each other's builds before playing a match. So they know for example to save a totem for someone, or that someone hiding in a locker isn't being a coward lol.

  • @sonata93 said:

    I disagree, I see no problem with it, personally.

    The only advantage the killer gets from this is seeing what items survivors are bringing, which would very rarely affect the build they decide to bring. I don't know many killers that would swap out a meta perk for something mediocre like Lightborn if they see a lobby with flashlights, or bring Franklin's just because there are a couple of toolboxes. At the end of the day, the true outcome of the match depends on the skill of the players and their perk build; not the items they bring. As I said, would it be really worth the killer's while to waste a perk slot on an item-specific perk just for them to find out it's a brown medkit, or a yellow toolbox?

    This. I'm a Myers main. My slow movement and need to stalk up my power are HUGE early game handicaps, making gen perks practically a necessity. I am NOT about to mess with my perk build just because I see four of anything in the lobby. HOWEVER, knowing what survivors are bringing will affect the way I play the match. 4 toolboxes? I have to be mindful of kicking gens instead of launching immediately into chases; or I might slug a little bit to reduce potential hook sabos. 4 flashlights? I have to remember to face a wall when picking up a survivor or be ready to look away as quickly as possible. 4 medkits? I have to be absolutely relentless in my chases, and not give survivors time to heal as best I can. This IS useful information that can affect the performance of the killer, and because of all the other advantages survivors have over killers, we absolutely should be able to see what survivors are bringing.

  • Killer really doesn't need the advantage of seeing survivors items tbh. Items can help with a game but unless you're a 4 man with 4 BNP it's pretty safe there's going to be no difference to how the game pans out as it'll depend on skill, killer playstyle and map RNG more than anything as always.

    The killer will just face camp and force 1 or 2 kills anyway if the game starts going south so who cares anyway lol...

  • That's not a game logic issue - that's a bug that needs fixing.

  • @Steakdabait said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282880#Comment_3282880

    muh 4v1 is a worse take. The game is balanced around being a 4v1, like i just don't understand the statement.

    4v1 means you most of the time can only pressure one to two people at a time. With medkits that pressure you put on 2 people? Won't ever exist unless you camp the hook because they have a 16 second self heal allowing them to constantly split up. With toolboxes that time you pressure 2 people is made up by the extra progress they grant.

  • @Brimp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3282985#Comment_3282985

    4v1 means you most of the time can only pressure one to two people at a time. With medkits that pressure you put on 2 people? Won't ever exist unless you camp the hook because they have a 16 second self heal allowing them to constantly split up. With toolboxes that time you pressure 2 people is made up by the extra progress they grant.

    you literally pressure 3 people when you hook someone.

    1 in chase

    1 on hook

    1 trying to unhook

  • This honestly isn't as much of an issue as u make it out to be.

    Maybe 2% of killers switch their builds to adjust to the survivors items. Most killers have their builds planned out before they go into a match and won't sacrifice a perk slot for Lightborn or Franklin's if it's possible to just play around these things. In most cases it even gives u an advantage since the survivors will come close to greed for the fl save and not sit on gens.

    And people that run Franklin's wanted to run Franklin's anyways and not cause they saw 4 medkits in the lobby and went: yepp counter time.


    I mostly use seeing the survivors to decide whether I would probably be happier to dodge a match. If the survivors are all named "toxic dude 1-4" and all bring fls have each 8000h in dbd and I queued as pig I might really wanna dodge that. Cause other than survivors if killers don't like a match they can't just suicide on first hook or at worst bleed out. Killers have to play the game until either they manage to finish or the survivors decide to finish which with experienced survivors with strong bully builds vs a weak killer can take a while tbh.

  • @Rulebreaker said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283376#Comment_3283376

    In defense of those that deserve it, there was a time where keys were alot stronger with people CONSTANTLY last second swapping to them. Some people have a grudge from those days.

    It seems so long ago, but absolutely. Keys were the most evil of items, and switching to one (hell, bringing one at all) put you on top of the hit list.

    And not without cause, imo, the old multi player hatch escape was really, really, lame.

  • @Steakdabait said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3283847#Comment_3283847

    you literally pressure 3 people when you hook someone.

    1 in chase

    1 on hook

    1 trying to unhook

    Yeah no not how it works for long. You hook someone, the team waits for who is getting chased, THEN you get to "pressure 3 people". Either way 4v1 with an objective that on 90% of the maps is so spread that you cant compete without multiple regression/slowdown then medkits and toolboxes makes it even worse.

1 2 ›