Fellow Gamers, Do You Play Both Sides? If Not, Is There a Specific Reason?

Legit question, no right or wrong answers here. I'm just curious as to the reasons people have chosen a side and why they stick with it. I've recently been laying the foundation for a little mini DBD podcast and even if it never works out this is still one of my favorite ideas that I have written down for it. Its something I've thought to myself for years, not even just about DBD. It can really be any PvP game even though DBD is particularly interesting in that regard at least IMO

Is it as simple as just not having the time/desire to play the other role or is there a secret villain-arc that took place after something in-game happened to you? People can play however they want, I just find the answer(s) to this question very relevant to how the community interacts with each-other (myself included)

Sometimes I feel like me and others misunderstand each-other by accident or even intentionally alter our interactions with other players because of petty tribalism and perceived playstyle differences. I personally feel when you exclusively play one role your perspective will always be a bit limited and your potential social interactions or gameplay can be different too. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the topic or examples of this happening!

Comments

  • @solarjin1 said:

    I'm terrible as killer so i only play survivor. Maybe if i was on pc it would be more easier as killer but o well

    Y'know, there's something called practice, you obviously won't get better if you don't try

  • @AJStyIez said:

    Legit question, no right or wrong answers here. I'm just curious as to the reasons people have chosen a side and why they stick with it. I've recently been laying the foundation for a little mini DBD podcast and even if it never works out this is still one of my favorite ideas that I have written down for it. Its something I've thought to myself for years, not even just about DBD. It can really be any PvP game even though DBD is particularly interesting in that regard at least IMO

    Is it as simple as just not having the time/desire to play the other role or is there a secret villain-arc that took place after something in-game happened to you? People can play however they want, I just find the answer(s) to this question very relevant to how the community interacts with each-other (myself included)

    Sometimes I feel like me and others misunderstand each-other by accident or even intentionally alter our interactions with other players because of petty tribalism and perceived playstyle differences. I personally feel when you exclusively play one role your perspective will always be a bit limited and your potential social interactions or gameplay can be different too. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the topic or examples of this happening!

    Being a horror fan, at first i bought this game for the killers, being the "bad guy" for once after being the "survivor" in so many singleplayer games was interesting!

    And after playing both, i still stick to killer because I love how different they are between each other and I love trying them all with different perks, strategies, etc.

    I despise generators as both roles so I tend to get bored as survivor, i only enjoy chases and looking for totems lol.


    Plus if I'm in the mood of memeing around or playing more friendly, i find it easier as killer since in my experience survivors are more willing to meme with you 🤣

  • I got like 1700 hours in.

    I play both but I have way more fun as survivor in solo matches than playing a killer during these times. I feel like I'm facing way more swf sweat teams than we did before the rank change.

    I rarely play in swf teams, I like lone wolf type but dislike always needing to use good perks to win as a killer.

    I miss pre nerfed eboni mori, atleast it brought back the intensive matches where your scared of being caught. The only thing that does that now is tombstone myers and maybie noed tho less now due to its nerf.

  • I play both. I started as a killer main but mostly play survivor now. Survivor is much less aggravating/frustrating for me, and I don't have to have that worry about "What if I get trapped in a 40-minute match with bullies?" I still play killer when a new killer comes out, or there's a rift open, but I'm always a little bit cautious, like, "This could be fun, or it could be really bad."

  • @Akumakaji said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/354932/fellow-gamers-do-you-play-both-sides-if-not-is-there-a-specific-reason

    From my experience there is a very big chunk of the player base that only plays survivors or "just tried killers a couple of times and I didn`t like it", because you can play it with friends and the stress is divided. This are so survivor mains.

    On the other side are the players who love to play killer and consider themselves killer mains, but I have not found one who exclusively plays killer. For one, the survivor part of the game is fun too, and for another it improves your killer gameplay by knowing how survivors see the game, and maybe learn a coupld of tricks or where to hide etc. As a bonus point you get first hand experience of how aweful tunneling off the hook feels, so it might (might!) increase your empathy with certain tactics. Killer mains seem to be closer to 50/50 on both roles with a maximum of 70/30 in the killer roles favor.

    I myself fall in the latter category, I consider myself a killer main and really like most of the experience and challenges, but I also got a group of friends who I SWF with and thats sometimes so much fun that I wouldn't wanna miss it. Also my killer experience often comes in very helpful when we encounter some strange build and everyone goes "how is that possible?".

    Well, I've never played survivor because it's even more all the things in the game I don't find terribly interesting. I find looping on its own to be about as engaging as an empty fridge, stealth gameplay is something I only ever enjoyed in Thief, and I don't like QTEs. Not much incentive to play that role then, is there?

  • I dont usually play survivor unless its friends cause its boring to solo q and sit there for 8-10 minute matches in a multiplayer game with at least no base communication method.

  • I honestly like killer cause if I don’t do great, it’s mostly on me and I can’t blame a team member for it.

  • Mostly killer, since my interest in DBD stems from horror movies and in most cases the antagonist is the more interesting character. I feel like most of Survivor gameplay is holding M1 on bones or gens which isn't particularly exciting.

  • I play both survivor and killer, but I've been playing killer more lately.

  • I used to play Killer 90% and 10% survivor because it was underwhelming the little amount of BP a survivor win, specially in soloQ, but since they reworked the prestige system, reduced the price of the bloodweb items and put the bonus for the least played side now I play de survivor way more than before, now I play 60% killer and 40% survivor, more or less.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3267189#Comment_3267189

    Well, I've never played survivor because it's even more all the things in the game I don't find terribly interesting. I find looping on its own to be about as engaging as an empty fridge, stealth gameplay is something I only ever enjoyed in Thief, and I don't like QTEs. Not much incentive to play that role then, is there?

    Well, I don't doubt that there are players like you, but you really are the exception to the rule ^_- More power to you, as I play a lot of killer myself, but most of us killer mains also play a good chunk of survivors and right now I am working on the last unfinished tome, so that alone shows that my split isn't just shallow words.

    Both sides have their fun mechanics and playing both definitely makes you better overall, so maybe give it another try with a fresh mindset. You don't need to sneak around all the time, in fact a lot of survivors jump right into your face and try to look you in an unwinable chase, because their looping game is so strong.

  • Of course, usually depending on the time of the day I can play.

    The day and early evening is for survivor, the night is for killer.

    It's not even about queue times anymore. But it feels like during the night I get the worst teammates (probably because the good ones are playing in their SWF)

  • @Akumakaji said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3269830#Comment_3269830

    Well, I don't doubt that there are players like you, but you really are the exception to the rule ^_- More power to you, as I play a lot of killer myself, but most of us killer mains also play a good chunk of survivors and right now I am working on the last unfinished tome, so that alone shows that my split isn't just shallow words.

    Both sides have their fun mechanics and playing both definitely makes you better overall, so maybe give it another try with a fresh mindset. You don't need to sneak around all the time, in fact a lot of survivors jump right into your face and try to look you in an unwinable chase, because their looping game is so strong.

    no

  • I'm new to the game in general. I started playing the game half way through the grade season before last on survivor with friends who wanted to show me the game. I've only started playing killer half way through the last grade season. I'm having a blast on both :D

  • I started out as a killer but first person makes me sick and dizzy so I had to go to survivor..I enjoy it..but I'd like to kill too lol

  • I used to be about 95% survivor and 5% killer but now I'm about 60% survivor and 40% killer. My anxiety is terrible and I used to feel genuinely stressed at the idea of playing killer. I'd get as far as loading into a lobby, see 4 survivors and back out. I don't know what changed, but I've been playing it a lot closer to equally. I don't delete killer dailies, I just use them as an excuse to learn the killer. I mostly play in the evenings so whenever bp favours killer I just go for that. I think the new challenge loadout thing makes it a lot easier too because I already have a killer challenge selected.

  • I used to be a killer main, but never play it anymore for 3 reasons:

    1. MM often put me against survivors that are bad, or just not trying very hard. And having to obliterate these players every match was making me feel terrible, because I know how your average solo queue survivor probably has a 20% or so escape rate. Letting them escape just made me go against even bigger babies.
    2. Painfully long killer queues vs. cozy instant survivor queues.
    3. Drastic switch from killer always having 100% bonus BP from BBQ, to 0% bonus BP as killer and permanent 100% BP incentive for survivors.
  • Used to play only as killer till the rifts were released, but now more and more play as survivor cause 90% percents of killers are unplayable on top ranks. And playing only nurse blight and huntress for a little chance to kill at least 3 survivors whos swfs making gens for 5 mins, and use crazy invulnerable builds is getting boring. Game is totally disbalanced to survivors side, they have nothing to do for win if they know what is generator, and because nowadays i want just chill most of times i just run on survivor and making gens, and mostly time i even dont confront killers, cause matches are extremely fast. Plus new updated perks which makes survs almost untouchable leave killer no chanses. Remembering my last match on Larry when my teams totally used 26 dead hards and on 27 killer just quit. Idk why we have killers in this game, devs really dont know what they are doing....

  • I have almost 2500 hours and play 99% killer (if we ignore kyf weekends) mainly because survivor is pretty boring.

  • I do play both sides but lately I’ve been playing one side if the queue is faster because I don’t like waiting 5 minutes to queue up in a lobby.

  • i usually play both sides but recently i have been playing alot more survivor due to being more chill and you can play with friends. with the new bot feature coming into customs i can play killer with my friends since we can have a full lobby now lol.

  • I only play killer for now survivor is no longer enjoyable for me because of solo q

1 2 ›