Any response from BHVR why time limited skins are in a paid game?

Pretty straightforward. Most of have put hundreds of dollars in this game. That is not enough? Time limited cosmetics, which are usually in F2P games, are warranted here?

Comments

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284779#Comment_3284779

    The only thing toxic is supporting anti consumer changes. Especially when the economy is in the toilet and the costs of everything is going through the roof. What is free should stay free, what is available should stay available. End of story.

    Nope, time limited events is fine.

  • @BarnesFlam said:

    Realising that Bill's ugly sweater is only available via shards, will be removed, and reintroduced next year... via shards only because I'm pretty sure that DbD isn't allowed to make money off Bill's inclusion into the game.

    Yeah, that makes sense!

    I think in their license agreement with Valve anything with Bill has to have free option. It's why he's a free licensed character, his cosmetics are all available for shards, and his cosmetic/charms were all in the free track when he had a rift tome. I could be wrong but pretty sure he's safe from being auric cell only.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284658#Comment_3284658

    Actually, I stand corrected.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/XMS4Y39RE28U/20221202-172825.jpg

    They're now taking away older outfits which previously weren't even time limited. Image source.

    What the actual #########, BHVR?

    Bruh the disappointment with this game does not end

  • Nah, not when they're removing things that were not time limited and making them time limited. If it was only for the new content they've released and will release fine. But to retroactively change things to fit that is wrong.

  • I am so disappointed. I love the cosmetic side of the game and I don't care if I have to purchase auric cells or just use shards. But this type of stuff really turns me off. Why do you even have to do this? What's the point? Could you at least explain that to your consumers?

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284852#Comment_3284852

    Nah, not when they're removing things that were not time limited and making them time limited. If it was only for the new content they've released and will release fine. But to retroactively change things to fit that is wrong.

    wrong by what metric? I don't see anything wrong with it.

  • @Emeal said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284867#Comment_3284867

    wrong by what metric? I don't see anything wrong with it.

    That is fine you do you, while the rest of us will be collectively disappointed. Enjoy your day.

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284884#Comment_3284884

    That is fine you do you, while the rest of us will be collectively disappointed. Enjoy your day.

    It alright, it could be worse and we have bHVR to thank for that. 😎

  • It will be worse, just look at the chinese mobile version of DbD. Pretty sure that's the endgoal.

  • Also who the heck is going to wait a whole year for a dang cosmetic? LMAO. There isn't even any guarantee that DbD will be up and running until next year.

  • @Emeal said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284886#Comment_3284886

    It alright, it could be worse and we have bHVR to thank for that. 😎

    it unfortunately will get worse and it isn't just bHVR we need to thank for it. Decisions like this and people who support these decisions will lead us down very gross path, It's not a slippery slope at this point its a cliff and we're just moving to fall right off it.

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284893#Comment_3284893

    it unfortunately will get worse and it isn't just bHVR we need to thank for it. Decisions like this and people who support these decisions will lead us down very gross path, It's not a slippery slope at this point its a cliff and we're just moving to fall right off it.

    All I have seen of bHVR's business practices does not support me in believing these things you say.

    Seasonal Cosmetics are a gateway drug for egregious business practices.

    And things becoming seasonal isnt egregious business practice.

  • @OrangeBear said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284503#Comment_3284503

    Fair point but it's impossible to get everyone to agree. Cause some people are truly okay with it. And some people will buy it just to spite the backlash. So i personally just let it unfold and act from there.

    I'm pretty disappointed that they made the shard rule exempt though and i don't want to pay for outfit so i won't be buying them at least.

    Shard rule exemption AND included already existing, always available outfits into this shitshow, don't forget that.

    BHVR won't earn one cent from me from now onward.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284758#Comment_3284758

    I think in their license agreement with Valve anything with Bill has to have free option. It's why he's a free licensed character, his cosmetics are all available for shards, and his cosmetic/charms were all in the free track when he had a rift tome. I could be wrong but pretty sure he's safe from being auric cell only.

    I know. I'm laughing now because it's gonna time-limited... but only accessible with shards. Why? Because of seasons? That's not a good reason

  • @BarnesFlam said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284858#Comment_3284858

    I know. I'm laughing now because it's gonna time-limited... but only accessible with shards. Why? Because of seasons? That's not a good reason

    I'd love for valve to step in and say BHVR need to leave his sweater to be available all the time.

  • @Emeal said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284761#Comment_3284761

    I dont see why they cant change it up like that. So you think they are scummy cause they changed to pricing options?

    what cosmetics was it again?

    I think you are pretty fast on the scummy trigger.

    Dude

    WE are the consumers.

    Anti-consumers tactics HURT us

    Taking away something that was previously available IS an anti-consumer tactic.

    Why on earth would you defend that, if you're not gaining anything out of it?

  • Everybody posting here today has the opportunity to buy these cosmetics.

    So making the argument that some new player will see this outfit after they stop selling is going to be so upset, is absured.

    FOMO? We crypto traders now? They will be back next year. You are not missing out on anything worth crying over.

  • You're right, those FOMO tactics are reminiscent of desperate crypro traders.

  • @ProfessorDunwich said:

    Pretty straightforward. Most of have put hundreds of dollars in this game. That is not enough? Time limited cosmetics, which are usually in F2P games, are warranted here?

    Out of curiosity, how do you expect the people that work on this game to earn a living? Cosmetics, and New Chapters, with the occasional rift. The DBD community DEMANDS new updates, bug fixes, and the like, do you believe that only takes 1 guy sitting in a cubicle? I’d imagine it takes teams of people working all the time to manage, and support a game that caters to hundreds of thousands of people on just about every continent of the earth. Those teams need to be paid. I’m sure they aren’t paid nearly enough, and I’m dumbfounded at how people can get so upset when they just want to be paid for their hard work. People aren’t paying for the game, then expected to pay for the basic skins. The cosmetics are game choices, not life choices, if you can’t afford it, don’t buy it, simple.

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/349940/any-response-from-bhvr-why-time-limited-skins-are-in-a-paid-game

    Out of curiosity, how do you expect the people that work on this game to earn a living? Cosmetics, and New Chapters, with the occasional rift. The DBD community DEMANDS new updates, bug fixes, and the like, do you believe that only takes 1 guy sitting in a cubicle? I’d imagine it takes teams of people working all the time to manage, and support a game that caters to hundreds of thousands of people on just about every continent of the earth. Those teams need to be paid. I’m sure they aren’t paid nearly enough, and I’m dumbfounded at how people can get so upset when they just want to be paid for their hard work. People aren’t paying for the game, then expected to pay for the basic skins. The cosmetics are game choices, not life choices, if you can’t afford it, don’t buy it, simple.

    DBD is a paid game.

    Every new DLC is a priced item.

    Most of the skins are priced.

    You have the option to buy battle pass tiers.


    BHVR has ways of gaining money without using anti-consumer tactics. We are asking they DON'T USE ANTI-CONSUMER TACTICS SUCH AS THESE ONES.

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/349940/any-response-from-bhvr-why-time-limited-skins-are-in-a-paid-game

    Out of curiosity, how do you expect the people that work on this game to earn a living? Cosmetics, and New Chapters, with the occasional rift. The DBD community DEMANDS new updates, bug fixes, and the like, do you believe that only takes 1 guy sitting in a cubicle? I’d imagine it takes teams of people working all the time to manage, and support a game that caters to hundreds of thousands of people on just about every continent of the earth. Those teams need to be paid. I’m sure they aren’t paid nearly enough, and I’m dumbfounded at how people can get so upset when they just want to be paid for their hard work. People aren’t paying for the game, then expected to pay for the basic skins. The cosmetics are game choices, not life choices, if you can’t afford it, don’t buy it, simple.

    They could just put up cosmetics for auric cells that stay in the store forever like they have done for the past 6 years without using anti-consumer tactics like FOMO.

  • @Lycidas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285183#Comment_3285183

    DBD is a paid game.

    Every new DLC is a priced item.

    Most of the skins are priced.

    You have the option to buy battle pass tiers.

    BHVR has ways of gaining money without using anti-consumer tactics. We are asking they DON'T USE ANTI-CONSUMER TACTICS SUCH AS THESE ONES.

    How do you equate anti consumerism to cosmetic purchasing? Anti consumerism would be if they released a bug fix, but asked everyone to pay for the update. Cosmetics is just an accessory, that isn’t needed or required. Asking consumers to pay for something that just makes your character prettier isn’t anti consumerism. People just want to get free stuff for nothing.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285183#Comment_3285183

    They could just put up cosmetics for auric cells that stay in the store forever like they have done for the past 6 years without using anti-consumer tactics like FOMO.

    Those cosmetics are HOLIDAY specific, and should be seasonal. I dont understand why anyone would think otherwise.

  • Because making them seasonal is like banning selling pumpkins all the year except during October.

    Does it make sense? No? There.

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285192#Comment_3285192

    How do you equate anti consumerism to cosmetic purchasing? Anti consumerism would be if they released a bug fix, but asked everyone to pay for the update. Cosmetics is just an accessory, that isn’t needed or required. Asking consumers to pay for something that just makes your character prettier isn’t anti consumerism. People just want to get free stuff for nothing.

    Cosmetic purchasing becomes anti-consumer when you attach FOMO tactics to it.

    Using an artificial constraint to artificially increase the price or the sales of a digital good is considered anti-consumer.

    Noone was complaining when christmas skins were sold all year round for auric cells only. Stop saying that "people only want free stuff". People want to be treated fairly, and that's not happening here.

  • @BarnesFlam said:

    Because making them seasonal is like banning selling pumpkins all the year except during October.

    Does it make sense? No? There.

    Have you ever tried buying a pumpkin in July? Good luck finding one

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285212#Comment_3285212

    Have you ever tried buying a pumpkin in July? Good luck finding one

    So you're telling me it's possible? Thanks.

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285200#Comment_3285200

    Those cosmetics are HOLIDAY specific, and should be seasonal. I dont understand why anyone would think otherwise.

    Because for 6 years they have put all cosmetics, including holiday, in the store without restricting the time available to buy them.

    It's also not just holiday cosmetics they are doing this to. PJs in Cozy Break and Megs Outfit in Winter Tales are generic - there's nothing about them to make them specific to a holiday. At most you could say they are winter but DBD is played in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres, when it's winter in the Northern Hemisphere it's summer in the Southern Hemisphere so those in half the world won't have access to the "winter season" cosmetics when it's winter for them.

  • @Lycidas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285206#Comment_3285206

    Cosmetic purchasing becomes anti-consumer when you attach FOMO tactics to it.

    Using an artificial constraint to artificially increase the price or the sales of a digital good is considered anti-consumer.

    Noone was complaining when christmas skins were sold all year round for auric cells only. Stop saying that "people only want free stuff". People want to be treated fairly, and that's not happening here.

    I don’t see how selling a holiday item during that specific holiday is an “artificial restraint” it’s a specific, necessary restraint. It makes those items specific for that timeframe. BHVR is being called greedy and the like because they want to sell those items during the specified holiday…..And? If people want the item they will have to pony up the dough to buy it, plain and simple. People don’t want to do that, and are upset why? Because they can’t afford it now? Because they’d rather wait until it becomes available to purchase with shard? Because they rather use whatever auric cells they’ve accumulated through rifts? Whatever the reason behind people not wanting to buy the items now is the justification I use for stating that people just want stuff for free. They don’t want to spend for it now, but they want it now. Hence “for free.”

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285212#Comment_3285212

    Have you ever tried buying a pumpkin in July? Good luck finding one

    A full pumpkin? No, but I eat pumpkin pie all year round and if you had it your way I wouldn't be able to do that. I'm going to say we should be able to buy pumpkin pie all year round like we've been able to do. You know what else we've been able to buy all year round for the last 6 years? Holiday skins. WOW look at that.

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285214#Comment_3285214

    A full pumpkin? No, but I eat pumpkin pie all year round and if you had it your way I wouldn't be able to do that. I'm going to say we should be able to buy pumpkin pie all year round like we've been able to do. You know what else we've been able to buy all year round for the last 6 years? Holiday skins. WOW look at that.

    Pumpkin pie isn’t holiday specific. A Christmas tree is. Try buying a Christmas tree in March. The point is, holiday items should be holiday specific.

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285230#Comment_3285230

    Pumpkin pie isn’t holiday specific. A Christmas tree is. Try buying a Christmas tree in March. The point is, holiday items should be holiday specific.

    Halloween costumes are holiday related and oh look at that the costume store is still open selling halloween costumes right now.

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285232#Comment_3285232

    Halloween costumes are holiday related and oh look at that the costume store is still open selling halloween costumes right now.

    Cosplay is a constant thing

  • Working in retail we had to start putting up the Halloween products at the end of July so you could definitely get a plastic pumpkin (or other Halloween decorations) in July.

    You can also get pumpkins for cooking year round because we are no longer limited to seasons when it comes to agriculture. Science is cool. 😂

  • Right, and sometimes people cosplay as santa claus, sometimes as a present, sometimes as an elf or an ugly sweater. And your saying costume stores sell costumes all year round correct? good glad we agree selling costumes should be done all year round.

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    Right, and sometimes people cosplay as santa claus, sometimes as a present, sometimes as an elf or an ugly sweater. And your saying costume stores sell costumes all year round correct? good glad we agree selling costumes should be done all year round.

    That argument is a valid argument. However, would you not agree that some items should be exclusive? Say you loved cosplay, and you could dress up as an elf anytime of the year, but just during October, Halloween stores offered a dark elf. You saved all year for that dark elf, and finally when October rolled around you bought it, now you own an exclusive costume that could only be purchased during October. However, it became February and you walked into that costume store and saw them selling that very costume you waited so long for last year, wouldn’t you be a little upset?

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285240#Comment_3285240

    That argument is a valid argument. However, would you not agree that some items should be exclusive? Say you loved cosplay, and you could dress up as an elf anytime of the year, but just during October, Halloween stores offered a dark elf. You saved all year for that dark elf, and finally when October rolled around you bought it, now you own an exclusive costume that could only be purchased during October. However, it became February and you walked into that costume store and saw them selling that very costume you waited so long for last year, wouldn’t you be a little upset?

    No, exclusives need to die, no more console exclusive games, no more exclusive skins, no more exclusive platform content. no more exclusives period.

  • @MisterMister said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285240#Comment_3285240

    That argument is a valid argument. However, would you not agree that some items should be exclusive? Say you loved cosplay, and you could dress up as an elf anytime of the year, but just during October, Halloween stores offered a dark elf. You saved all year for that dark elf, and finally when October rolled around you bought it, now you own an exclusive costume that could only be purchased during October. However, it became February and you walked into that costume store and saw them selling that very costume you waited so long for last year, wouldn’t you be a little upset?

    are you serious?

    this is your way of defending this? When they are taking away stuff from the store that is currently available without limitations and some people might even try to save for them right now without knowing they get locked away?

  • I play two PvP games regularly -- DBD and Knockout City. And lately I've been feeling bad for the studio that makes Knockout City because they went out of their way to give me all kinds of cool stuff for free, and I've hardly bought anything even though I love the game. And then, on the other side, there's DBD, where I'm ashamed of how much I've spent but it feels like the game's always greedy for more.

    Like, is BHVR going bankrupt? Do they have no money? I'm pretty sure Dave gave a GDC presentation once where he talked about how they tried to monetize the game without being evil -- is that still a concern? Why do I feel like I'm constantly getting squeezed?

  • ...Did Dave really used that wording? Monetising without being evil?... because they failed to do so with that during Halloween.

  • @Hex_Llama said:

    I play two PvP games regularly -- DBD and Knockout City. And lately I've been feeling bad for the studio that makes Knockout City because they went out of their way to give me all kinds of cool stuff for free, and I've hardly bought anything even though I love the game. And then, on the other side, there's DBD, where I'm ashamed of how much I've spent but it feels like the game's always greedy for more.

    Like, is BHVR going bankrupt? Do they have no money? I'm pretty sure Dave gave a GDC presentation once where he talked about how they tried to monetize the game without being evil -- is that still a concern? Why do I feel like I'm constantly getting squeezed?

    You should do a 180 my friend. Support good practices.

  • @Hex_Llama said:

    I play two PvP games regularly -- DBD and Knockout City. And lately I've been feeling bad for the studio that makes Knockout City because they went out of their way to give me all kinds of cool stuff for free, and I've hardly bought anything even though I love the game. And then, on the other side, there's DBD, where I'm ashamed of how much I've spent but it feels like the game's always greedy for more.

    Like, is BHVR going bankrupt? Do they have no money? I'm pretty sure Dave gave a GDC presentation once where he talked about how they tried to monetize the game without being evil -- is that still a concern? Why do I feel like I'm constantly getting squeezed?

    Props to you. I wanted to enjoy Knockout City upon realising that the main way to buy cosmetics is through a rotation store. Why is everyone is trying to be Fortnite so bad?

  • @Lycidas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3284766#Comment_3284766

    Dude

    WE are the consumers.

    Anti-consumers tactics HURT us

    Taking away something that was previously available IS an anti-consumer tactic.

    Why on earth would you defend that, if you're not gaining anything out of it?

    If you a HURT by Seasonal Cosmetics then show me the wound.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285247#Comment_3285247

    are you serious?

    this is your way of defending this? When they are taking away stuff from the store that is currently available without limitations and some people might even try to save for them right now without knowing they get locked away?

    Do you really feel that when they lock away these items, and release them only during their specific holiday, they are also removing part of your soul? Every seasonal/holiday timeframe they release holiday/seasonal specific cosmetics. If a person is unable to purchase those items during that time frame, they have all year to save for it next year.

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285247#Comment_3285247

    No, exclusives need to die, no more console exclusive games, no more exclusive skins, no more exclusive platform content. no more exclusives period.

    Why?

  • Honestly in 2022 people shouldn't have to explain to you why anti consumer choice is bad and that is exactly what exclusive content is.

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285324#Comment_3285324

    Honestly in 2022 people shouldn't have to explain to you why anti consumer choice is bad and that is exactly what exclusive content is.

    I think you’re confusing anti consumerism with capitalism. The real explanation I need is why in 2022 everyone believes they are special, and if what’s happening now doesn’t make me feel good, then the whole system needs to change. An explanation on that point would be appreciated.

  • Why do you think that? As I just said to the Garlic person, why do you believe yourself to be so special that the game should drop what they (the creators of the game) want to do? Please don’t say “because I’ll quit if they don’t” if you were going to quit you would’ve done that already, and not pulled out a soap box to preach in the forums.

  • See, if anti-consumerism is almost indistinguishable from capitalism...

    ... Are we all ready to have this discussion?

1 2 3 4 5