Hook Suicide really needs to be dealt with.

It's no different than a Survivor disconnecting from the match, only they dont get punished for it. It completely ruins matches.

Honestly probably the best solution would just be to removing the self-unhook attempt mechanic and struggle state mechanic. Unhooking yourself can be an exclusive trait to the Deliverance perk, Slippery Meat and Up The Ante can be reworked, Luck offerings can just be removed.

Comments

  • I'd take a bribe like I've suggested to stay on the hook longer.

    @ByeByeQ said:

    Give survivors a bribe to hang around. I think this could especially help SoloQs.

    I am envisioning something along these lines:

    In first stage survivors should get 25 bloodpoints per second in the survival category just to hang there. Hanging in there and not trying to kobe is the best thing a survivor can do for their team most of the time. If they hang the full minute, that'd be an easy 1,500 points.

    Struggling on the hook should be 400 points per skill check. (2,400 for 6 skill checks) Or start at 250 and increase by 50 for each successive skill check. (2,250 for 6 skill checks)

    In total this could lead to survivors earning up to 3,900 points for hanging on the hook for the full 2 minutes vs the paltry <900 (15BP/s in struggle phase only) points we currently get.

    I know this certainly would not eliminate suiciding on hook, but it would reduce it.

    I know I would hang around for that 3,900 bloodpoints. It would be a worthwhile incentive for me.

    I made a poll about this as well.

    What do you guys, gals and non-binary pals think?

    But 900 measly points in a lousy losing game... I'm going next and I don't care. Make me care.

  • I've stopped enough team mates from letting go on hook to know they'll just find some other way to get out. Had a Legion with Iron Maiden not long ago, and after I stopped someone from letting go in the basement they just started spamming in and out of lockers down there. I could hear the screams from some distance on my gen and it was so annoying, the Legion had to stop a chase across the map to come deal with them.

    I can't see BHVR doing anything anyway - didn't they nerf Reassurance because of the prospect of people being kept on hook against their will? I can't see them implementing a mechanic or something that does the same

  • @Nazzzak said:

    I've stopped enough team mates from letting go on hook to know they'll just find some other way to get out. Had a Legion with Iron Maiden not long ago, and after I stopped someone from letting go in the basement they just started spamming in and out of lockers down there. I could hear the screams from some distance on my gen and it was so annoying, the Legion had to stop a chase across the map to come deal with them.

    I can't see BHVR doing anything anyway - didn't they nerf Reassurance because of the prospect of people being kept on hook against their will? I can't see them implementing a mechanic or something that does the same

    Huh? reassurance is definitely different matter because that can hold the game hostage, removing kobeing will not cause such.

  • If im playing a certain survivor with a certain build and a teammate starts suiciding in my head i go

    " Well..at least im getting Sole Survivor stacks"!

    lol messed up but that's solo que dbd! People are mostly bad at the game and for different reasons may dc!

  • I wonder which there are more of: cheaters or rage-quitters? Either way, the chance of a match being ruined is sky high right now.

  • @fulltonon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3207281#Comment_3207281

    Huh? reassurance is definitely different matter because that can hold the game hostage, removing kobeing will not cause such.

    It can't hold the game hostage as it doesn't stop the killer from downing and hooking the other survivors. Nor does it stop the hooked survivor from being unhooked by others.

  • @Nazzzak said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3207285#Comment_3207285

    It can't hold the game hostage as it doesn't stop the killer from downing and hooking the other survivors. Nor does it stop the hooked survivor from being unhooked by others.

    But what if none tried to help them? it was abusable, and actually got abused, forced victim survivor to stay in a match for indefinite time.

    That is exactly the reason why they fixed it.

  • @fulltonon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3207296#Comment_3207296

    But what if none tried to help them? it was abusable, and actually got abused, forced victim survivor to stay in a match for indefinite time.

    That is exactly the reason why they fixed it.

    A group of friends testing the limits of a perk is not representation of normal gameplay. That 1 hour game in PTB was done with the cooperation of the killer. They were testing it on purpose. PTB is not representative of actual game play - if people wanted to sit on gens they would play live, not PTB. There was no "victim", they were friends.

    And if no one tried to help the hooked person, the game would still end. Because they can't keep using Reassurance when the killer is chasing them or downing them or hooking them.

  • @Nazzzak said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3207299#Comment_3207299

    A group of friends testing the limits of a perk is not representation of normal gameplay. That 1 hour game in PTB was done with the cooperation of the killer. They were testing it on purpose. PTB is not representative of actual game play - if people wanted to sit on gens they would play live, not PTB.

    And if no one tried to help the hooked person, the game would still end. Because they can't keep using Reassurance when the killer is chasing them or downing them or hooking them.

    It can and will happen in normal gameplay, "it will not common so it's fine" is just false.

    killers chasing survivors are also considered "helping them", just like hitting body blocker.

    The fact people can permanently lock a survivor within a game without any way to end it (by their action) just by cooperating with killer, is serious game breaking issue.

  • @fulltonon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3207349#Comment_3207349

    It can and will happen in normal gameplay, "it will not common so it's fine" is just false.

    killers chasing survivors are also considered "helping them", just like hitting body blocker.

    The fact people can permanently lock a survivor within a game without any way to end it (by their action) just by cooperating with killer, is serious game breaking issue.

    I'm a solo survivor and I had zero fear of people using Reassurance to grief me. Because bully squads are rare, and even rarer would be a killer willing to stand around for an hour watching a survivor remain on hook. And if I was unfortunate enough to be in that position - a 5 minute ban for DCing is preferable to being in a game for an hour. Also, the killer in the PTB match was a friend of the team also. It was a KYF match. That's why they cooperated.

    "The fact people can permanently lock a survivor within a game without any way to end it (by their action) just by cooperating with killer, is serious game breaking issue"

    Which brings us back to the very first point I made in my post - BHVR won't remove the ability to Kobe because it will lock a survivor in place, without any guarantee of being unhooked by survivors, and without the chance of being able to save themselves by their own action.

  • So for situations where your team has to leave you on hook with a camping killer the player becomes a consumable that allows x seconds of free gen time? I’m sure hanging there counting the stitches on Bubba’s mask is riveting gameplay.

  • @Gibberish said:

    It's no different than a Survivor disconnecting from the match, only they dont get punished for it. It completely ruins matches.

    Honestly probably the best solution would just be to removing the self-unhook attempt mechanic and struggle state mechanic. Unhooking yourself can be an exclusive trait to the Deliverance perk, Slippery Meat and Up The Ante can be reworked, Luck offerings can just be removed.

    If I go into stage 2 on my 1st hook, because the survivors I’m teamed w are scared trash cans, I’m killing myself.


    If you can’t be bothered to unhook me, why do I want to actively play and contribute to your escape? OR I’ll do everything and get left to die on first hook. How willing a solo team is to unhook in a timely manner tells you how the game is going to play out.


    So no, some hook suicides are totally justified. If that person was important enough to your team that they should be punished for hook suicide, they should have been important enough to rescue in a timely manner.

  • Tbh I see a lot more DCs than i do hook suicides. I've hook suicided once in a match where I'm clearly against a very sweaty nurse that was mincing us from the start. Blinked to me and grabbed me off a gen in under a minute. Turned out it was a prestige 55.

    I might have done it once or twice more in games where the killer is clearly destroying the team and is being super toxic about it. I'd rather just give the killer their hook phases and peace out to the next game.

    I do see other players doing it. Usually when I'm steamrolling as killer or occasionally as survivor when we haven't had opportunity to unhook.

  • plenty of hook suicides are reasonable and justified... although it is incredibly annoying to have your teammates give up after the first down, unhooking yourself or decreasing your hook time should not depend on a perk. if someone really wanted to leave without disconnecting, they would run into the killer to be downed after being unhooked anyways. i see people ragequit by DCing way more often than i see them kill themselves on hook.

  • If they removed the ability to unhook yourself during 1st hook, people would just find other ways to get out of the match.

    Once they’ve made up their mind that they want to get out, they WILL get out no matter what BHVR or you do. You can’t force people to stay in a match they don’t want to be in if they’re not having fun

  • I don't think they should do anything extreme. Just give people once chance to unhook themselves and remove the skill checks in stage two. Raise the level one DC penalty to like 7 minutes. Make it so people are forced to eat the DC if they want out of a game. Even an AFK survivor is preferable to one who DCs because it provides a temporary distraction.

  • @Laurie268 said:

    If they removed the ability to unhook yourself during 1st hook, people would just find other ways to get out of the match.

    Once they’ve made up their mind that they want to get out, they WILL get out no matter what BHVR or you do. You can’t force people to stay in a match they don’t want to be in if they’re not having fun

    Sandbagging and AFKing are tremendously easier to report, and DCing means a timer where they won’t be able to ruin matches. Seems like a win for everyone that actually matters.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    Hook suicide is a symptom of an unbalanced game. Killers can always come back from a bad start with strategies, survivors don't have a way to come back. If survivors feel the match is unwinnable, it is why they suicide.

    Spoken like someone who's never played a single killer match. It's easier to recover from mistakes as survivor, because there are four survivors.

    If the killer spends 2 seconds kicking a gen, four survivors can spend 8 seconds working on gens.

    Each second of a killer's time, is worth 4 seconds of survivor time. A killer's time is much more crucial and has to be spent well. And there are no other killers in the game to help you recover from your mistakes 🤯

  • @fulltonon said:

    It's ridiculous how it's been ignored till today despite being such a glaring issue, and it's actually baffling why some people defend such mechanic.

    We don't even need to remove self unhook attempt, just remove penalty and game will be lot more healthier.

    Well then why would people even bother helping off hook if they can unhook themself with no penalty?

  • If only Suicidal Survivors, can get punished with new type of penalty that involves loosing BPs bonus, to discouraged this kinda of behavior more.

    I do not know what Suiciding is such a option, it screw your team, even if it is a weak solo que

  • You can’t stop ragequitters from throwing tantrums and ruining the game for the other 4 players. But you can stop them from having a loophole to bypass the penalty for quitting, so that they either have to eat the DC penalty they deserve, or AFK/sandbag which is reportable and bannable.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/348349/hook-suicide-really-needs-to-be-dealt-with

    played a game last day, where 2 of our team mates were a 2man swf, every time i unhooked them, they ran straigt for the killer.

    I guess this is a way to DC with no penalty

    I never got why people do this. You get unhooked be extra cautious and be careful especially if your on death hook but no they run straight to where the killer is loud and all lol.

    So funny man!

  • @roundpitt said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3206804#Comment_3206804

    Spoken like someone who's never played a single killer match. It's easier to recover from mistakes as survivor, because there are four survivors.

    If the killer spends 2 seconds kicking a gen, four survivors can spend 8 seconds working on gens.

    Each second of a killer's time, is worth 4 seconds of survivor time. A killer's time is much more crucial and has to be spent well. And there are no other killers in the game to help you recover from your mistakes 🤯

    You can't assume all four must play absolutely perfectly. Only one mistake by only one survivor can cost the entire team to lose. A killer can make up for their mistake by camping and tunneling and can always come back from a bad start because their objective is just simply easier.

    You can't say 2 seconds of killer time is like 8 seconds of survivors working on gens because survivors have a thousand things to do. You have to find gens, save teammates, find totems. There's even killer perks that prevent survivors from working on gens such as Corrupt, Dead Man's Switch, and Eruption. Guess what the killer is doing when survivors can't do anything? Easily downing a survivor and getting even more pressure. Survivors are a bad disadvantage and it is why so many aren't playing because nobody wants to play an unwinnable role.

  • Your not going to stop this. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you will spare yourself the Carpel Tunnel from typing

    There is no such thing as "Hook Suicide". There is only "3 failed unhook attempts" and "X amount of missed skill checks". There is no way to prove that someone is dying on purpose, so you can report them if you want, but it wont make a difference. If the stress of cooperative games are too much, Star Wars Lego's is awesome.

    Increasing DC penalties right now, with the well documented cheater epidemic, would hurt other players more than it would help. I just had my first cheater btw. Got my first down of the match and got DS without ever having hooked her. I DC'd, cause I'm not going to play with hackers and cheaters. I wish I wasn't penalized for that, but rather than propose sweeping changes to the game, I decided to just move on.

    Lastly, as someone already said, after you implement all these changes, there's still nothing stopping the player from just running into the killer and being slain. Like the "Hook Suicide", you can try to report it, but good luck proving it.

    The point I'm getting at is that if someone doesn't want to be there, even if you can implement enough rules to force them to stay, you can't force them to be productive or be a good teammate. At least if they DC, you know where you stand.

    Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

1 2 ›