Why people choose killers over survivor and how to potentially fix it.

I'm someone who is aggressively average at the game so I don't really sway to either side of the dbd pendulum here. From my years of casual play and discourse with others about the game i find more people will play killer rather than survivor. The reasons given are usually the same throughout: "I like to feel as if I won when I play", "My teammates generally let me down or I do them when i play survivor", and "killers are just more unique to play".

That last one really sticks with me. Every survivor is no different from one another. Of course you can factor in how quiet and hit noise (looking at you bill) in saying they are different but none really play differently to each other the way that killers do. I will agree with BHVR that the incentive is good to have to get more people into the needed roll, but it's almost always for survivors. How would we go about fixing this? What could possibly work to make them more unique to each other while keeping balance in the game?

My idea(which may not even be good): have each one have a perk from their set be base kit on them specifically.

While this may be an absolute dumb idea I believe it would essentially create a playstyle from that particular character while still giving them the ability to build either with it or whatever they want. Some people may ignore such a thing, while others strive to min/max their character in a build.

What do you guys think?

Comments

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3193045#Comment_3193045

    Oh?

    Well they still appear to have zero cheat detection or very easily circumvented cheat detection. Blatant cheaters can fly around, instantly complete objectives or instantly regress generators, they can have complete control over the game and end it in an instant or make the game last 2 hours. And these cheaters can do this for weeks or months before they get banned if someone takes the time to record and report it.

    Many subtle cheaters have probably been getting away with it for years now using stuff that only give a speed boost when the killer is carrying a survivor and other almost undetectable cheats.

    As for post game chat bans I'd need to see an example to believe it. I can't just take your word for it.

    They do not. The issue is not that they aren't being banned. The issue is that they have thousands of different accounts.

    When the game went free on the EGS, hackers made tens of thousands of accounts so that if they ever got banned, they could just hop on a new account. It doesn't matter how fast you ban someone if they have thousands of alternative accounts.

    There was a big subtle cheater ban wave a couple of months back, iirc.


    Also, I play on Console. I have seen people talking about getting banned for end-game chat offenses. If you are racist, sexist, homophobic, ect you are gonna get banned if someone bothers to report you.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3193088#Comment_3193088

    They do not. The issue is not the they aren't being banned. The issue is that they have thousands of different accounts.

    When the game went free on the EGS, hackers made tens of thousands of accounts so that if they ever got banned, they could just hop on a new account. It doesn't matter how fast you ban someone if they have thousands of alternative accounts.

    There was a big subtle cheater ban wave a couple of months back, iirc.

    Also, I play on Console. I have seen people talking about getting banned for end-game chat offenses. If you are racist, sexist, homophobic, ect you are gonna get banned if someone bothers to report you.

    It certainly does matter how fast you ban accounts. The faster an account gets banned then the cheater has to spend more time, effort and money to continue cheating. Starting a fresh account from scratch is probably a major pain in a cheater's arse. Imagine starting over with no perks or cosmetics, or having to pay extra for a preloaded account.

    Most cheaters are clueless morons who didn't have the foresight to collect a bunch of accounts on the EGS. They are buying those accounts from those that did. The actual cheaters are not hackers. They are renting the hacks from those that hacked the game.

    If these cheaters got banned in hours or days rather than weeks or months we would see a reduction in cheating. If they had to buy a new account every other day instead of every other month many cheaters would quickly move on as they aren't patient and get bored easily.

    I certainly doubt the subtle ban wave caught everyone and I still see a lot of sus stuff in games that I just can't explain and I have a lot of experience. Just last night I was playing Wraith running the Hound and a Meg straight up teleported away when she left my line of sight while I tried to mind game her at a really weak pallet. I recloaked right after to try to pick up her bright red blood trail, but it was like she up and vanished like a fart in the wind.

    Also, I play on Console. I have seen people talking about getting banned for end-game chat offenses. If you are racist, sexist, homophobic, ect you are gonna get banned if someone bothers to report you.

    Console chat is a platform-side thing, and not policed by BHVR but the platform itself. I am talking about the in-game chatbox that only PC gamers get to use.

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3193121#Comment_3193121

    It certainly does matter how fast you ban accounts. The faster an account gets banned then the cheater has to spend more time, effort and money to continue cheating. Starting a fresh account from scratch is probably a major pain in a cheater's arse. Imagine starting over with no perks or cosmetics, or having to pay extra for a preloaded account.

    Most cheaters are clueless morons who didn't have the foresight to collect a bunch of accounts on the EGS. They are buying those accounts from those that did. The actual cheaters are not hackers. They are renting the hacks from those that hacked the game.

    If these cheaters got banned in hours or days rather than weeks or months we would see a reduction in cheating. If they had to buy a new account every other day instead of every other month many cheaters would quickly move on as they aren't patient and get bored easily.

    I certainly doubt the subtle ban wave caught everyone and I still see a lot of sus stuff in games that I just can't explain and I have a lot of experience. Just last night I was playing Wraith running the Hound and a Meg straight up teleported away when she left my line of sight while I tried to mind game her at a really weak pallet. I recloaked right after to try to pick up her bright red blood trail, but it was like she up and vanished like a fart in the wind.

    Also, I play on Console. I have seen people talking about getting banned for end-game chat offenses. If you are racist, sexist, homophobic, ect you are gonna get banned if someone bothers to report you.

    Console chat is a platform-side thing, and not policed by BHVR but the platform itself. I am talking about the in-game chatbox that only PC gamers get to use.

    Go watch any of Choy's videos where he interviews cheaters.


    I am also talking about PC chat. I was clarifying that I was on Console ane therefore have no firsthand experience

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192595#Comment_3192595

    Yeah, you can't fix bad players but adding an optional VC would allow people who, ya know, actually want to win to be able to communicate.

    All that would happen is that people would complain about teammates who aren't using it. And the cries for "Punish people ruining my games by disabling VC!" starts. How is VC going to help you if you load into a match with 3 people disabling it? It only works if forced on people. And if you want that, it needs to have been done at launch. You can't force VC on people 6 years in, and VC isn't going to be very useful if people end up disabling it.


    I don't want to see people demanding I be punished because I don't want to use VC.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3193142#Comment_3193142

    Go watch any of Choy's videos where he interviews cheaters.

    I am also talking about PC chat. I was clarifying that I was on Console ane therefore have no firsthand experience

    I have watched Choy's videos. My points take them into account.

    Edit: Choy doesn't really interview the cheaters themselves, he interviews those selling the cheats.

    You won't or can't provide an example of in-game chat bans. I don't think there are any. You said:

    ...banning people from end-game chat happens.

    Prove it.

    It was nice chatting with you but I believe I am done here. 🙋‍♂️

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192603#Comment_3192603

    All that would happen is that people would complain about teammates who aren't using it. And the cries for "Punish people ruining my games by disabling VC!" starts. How is VC going to help you if you load into a match with 3 people disabling it? It only works if forced on people. And if you want that, it needs to have been done at launch. You can't force VC on people 6 years in, and VC isn't going to be very useful if people end up disabling it.

    I don't want to see people demanding I be punished because I don't want to use VC.

    That doesn't matter. One of the main issues right now is that BHVR has to balance two different games. DBD with comms and DBD without comms are vastly different games.

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3193172#Comment_3193172

    I have watched Choy's videos. My points take them into account.

    Edit: Choy doesn't really interview the cheaters themselves, he interviews those selling the cheats.

    You won't or can't provide an example of in-game chat bans. I don't think there are any. You said:

    ...banning people from end-game chat happens.

    Prove it.

    It was nice chatting with you but I believe I am done here. 🙋‍♂️

    Bruh.

    Do you want me to tag someone from BHVR? I'm pretty sure that I remember a post just a couple of days ago talking about a chat ban which was deleted.

    Where the hell am I supposed to get evidence? Do you think people just go around boasting about their bans?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    For me personally, the reasons I choose to not play or quit in frustration always boil down to the, how do I put it, BS gameplay elements that certain perks or killers have.

    Take Legion for example. I will always stop playing for the night after encountering a Legion. I refuse to put up with that dogwater killer design. I can be working on a gen outside of their TR on a gen off in Narnia, but sucks to suck, I happen to be the 4th person in a frenzy chain and even though I've started running early, I'm the instadown and there's genuinely nothing I can do if the killer isn't a bot. I don't understand why you would add an incentive to frenzy more in the rework. That's literally the main thing players DESPISE about Legion.

    Another example: Call of Brine/Overcharge/Eruption. I have zero agency to play around the regression stack+Eruption. The only way to mitigate some of it, like a 25 second Incapacitated, is to bring Repressed Alliance, a survivor perk that blocks a gen for 30 seconds. And even then, I have to completely guess when Eruption is going to proc if I'm in solo queue. Who is playtesting this internally and saying "Oh yeah very fun gameplay yes."?

    People aren't playing survivor because we bring up things that are chronically unfun and it's presented as some sort of feature in a spooky horror game when players are trying to play a pvp game.

    What kind of water does your dog drink? My dog drinks the same water that I drink. Does that mean that I am drinking dog water?

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3193178#Comment_3193178

    Bruh.

    Do you want me to tag someone from BHVR? I'm pretty sure that I remember a post just a couple of days ago talking about a chat ban which was deleted.

    Where the hell am I supposed to get evidence? Do you think people just go around boasting about their bans?

    I don't care how you prove it. But if you wanna do the Karen move and call the manager, go ahead.

    You made a baseless, empty claim. I've done a little bit of searching, I can't find a single thing about actual in-game chat bans. There are no official statements from BHVR about rules regarding post-game chat or getting banned from it aside from threatening people which I am sure they do more than just a chat ban for.

    If they actually handed out chat bans we would hear about it. There'd be kids complaining about it all the time on these very forums.

    I can find people complaining about getting bans from Xbox communications but not a single thing about actual DbD chat bans.

    So go Bruh yourself.

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3193223#Comment_3193223

    I don't care how you prove it. But if you wanna do the Karen move and call the manager, go ahead.

    You made a baseless, empty claim. I've done a little bit of searching, I can't find a single thing about actual in-game chat bans. There are no official statements from BHVR about rules regarding post-game chat or getting banned from it aside from threatening people which I am sure they do more than just a chat ban for.

    If they actually handed out chat bans we would hear about it. There'd be kids complaining about it all the time on these very forums.

    I can find people complaining about getting bans from Xbox communications but not a single thing about actual DbD chat bans.

    So go Bruh yourself.

    Took me two minutes to find them saying they ban for hate speech.

    https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1397989642385956873

    Also, posts discussing bans get removed.

  • Are those chat bans are full bans?

    This isn't the only place people talk about DbD. If chat bans happened in-game in DbD there'd be someone somewhere complaining about it, where it wouldn't get deleted. But there's nothing.

    You still don't have proof positive.

  • @Voodoomancer said:

    I'm someone who is aggressively average at the game so I don't really sway to either side of the dbd pendulum here. From my years of casual play and discourse with others about the game i find more people will play killer rather than survivor. The reasons given are usually the same throughout: "I like to feel as if I won when I play", "My teammates generally let me down or I do them when i play survivor", and "killers are just more unique to play".

    That last one really sticks with me. Every survivor is no different from one another. Of course you can factor in how quiet and hit noise (looking at you bill) in saying they are different but none really play differently to each other the way that killers do. I will agree with BHVR that the incentive is good to have to get more people into the needed roll, but it's almost always for survivors. How would we go about fixing this? What could possibly work to make them more unique to each other while keeping balance in the game?

    My idea(which may not even be good): have each one have a perk from their set be base kit on them specifically.

    While this may be an absolute dumb idea I believe it would essentially create a playstyle from that particular character while still giving them the ability to build either with it or whatever they want. Some people may ignore such a thing, while others strive to min/max their character in a build.

    What do you guys think?

    Someone way back suggested survivors have access to a tier 4 version of all their perks. Which would give each survivor their own unique identities and strengths.

    It was unanimously approved of by survivors and killers alike then promptly forgotten.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3191250#Comment_3191250

    Because you need 4 survivor and 1 killer for a match?

    If there were more people playing killer than survivor, then killers would have a queue of an hour or more.

    Basic math is hard😐.

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192667#Comment_3192667

    Are you laughing in agreement or are you laughing at me?

    The OP suggests giving every survivor one of their teachables for free. Feng is one of DbD's most popular characters. I can already imagine all the little Feng screams echoing around the world when they all get saddled with Technician or Alert.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192698#Comment_3192698

    BHVR doesn't even bother monitoring post-game chat. If they did they would hand out chat bans rather than adding in the most obtuse censor ever seen. Hell, they have zero cheat detection. You think they could be arsed at all to monitor VC? It is far easier to just not add it to the game.

    feng min feng min feng min feng min

  • Is it really something that needs fixing?

  • @ihateboons said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192557#Comment_3192557

    Um... Yeah? Who said they were exclusive? How did you deduce my train of thought leading to these being Survivor Only exclusives?

    The match making incentives were one of the first suggestions i gave to BHVR, about 3 months before these forums were finalized and it was still solely on steam. I'm fully well aware of how they work. I've been here a while, just not in an official capacity to post on the forums, because up until recently I haven't had much to say.

    For the last 3 months i've been shopping for PC parts, waiting to ship, etc etc. so i've been unable to play. So I opted to watch Streams. Not just here in north america. i branched out to all parts of the planet, both small and large streamers. From what I've seen, i have to base my judgement. In other words, "IME".

    Survivors clearly have the BP Incentive buff far more often than Killer, regardless of the time of day. However, plenty of times does this shift because people want Blood points.. so it does what its supposed to. Its balancing.

    Right now, Survivors constantly getting the incentive means the Killer role is over populated. I'm not quite sure what you are missing.. Why do you think Killer Queue times aren't instant anymore? Survivors went either to playing Killer or just stopped playing all together. This is the 2nd or 3rd time BHVR has created a patch that has caused a "Survivor Exodus". I said it would happen too. Stats prove it too with Survivors having a 39% survival rate.

    I also predicted more Survivors leaving SoloQ™ and getting into SWFs, meaning even harder games for newer Killers, on top of people tanking their MMR on purpose. You think the game is in an excellent spot too? 85% of their Fog Whisperers complain, on stream, "this sucks".

    You´re missing a third option that would make the most sense. Since the playerbase increased after the 6.1.0 update, there just returned more killer players. That doesn´t mean, that every survivor switched of left. As you need 4 times as much survivor players than killer players.

    Devs stating, that the bonus bloodpoint incentive lowered the queue for both sides and a top amount of 5 minutes for killers. My killer queues have been around instant to 2 minutes since the incentive. Which is more than acceptable.

    You say, you are a long time player. Then you should remember the Hallowed Blight event where killer queues skyrocket to 30-45 minutes. Back then we had more people playing killer, because at the start of the event, every player had to play both sides equally, to get the event currency to unlock the skins. Which increased the killer population so heavily, that they had to change the event in order to allow both sides to get all event coins.

    The Hallowed Blight was an Event in Dead by Daylight () that lasted from 19 October to 2 November 2018. It kicked off the in-game celebrations in honour of Halloween 2018. The Hallowed Blight is a Halloween-themed version of the Scorching Summer BBQ Event. It was teased by the The Hallowed Blight Teaser on the Developers' Instagram on 1 October 2018 and another Teaser on 9 October 2018. The Event added a considerable amount of new Lore to the Game regarding The Entity () , Benedict Baker and Vig

    We are not seeing this now. If there were really more people playing killer than survivor, the forum would be full of complaint threads and you´d watch streamers play Pong, while waiting in a queue.

  • @SpaghettiVase said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192603#Comment_3192603

    Then you’re going to have people who are toxic because you don’t want to participate. Also I’d love to get vocally called slurs in vc and have 0 way to prove who said them so I can’t even properly file a report. Lets just not bother with the option all together. The game isn’t unwinnable without voice chat.

    This is funny. I would love for someone to cuss me out over a game. That kind of fuel is the classic lobby experience. Might be good for more people to toughen up to words some

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3198366#Comment_3198366

    Oh, I hate this attitude. That you must be cold, uncaring and nothing can hurt you. If you show the slightest human emotion, you must "toughen up".

    Nice ad hominem. I'll humor it though. It doesn't matter what anyone says in person, game vc,or forum post. It is your prerogative to get upset at something anyone says. So yes, people should toughen up and get over what the person they are unlikely to ever see or hear from again outside their particular set of interactions has to say.

    You said it right: "uncaring". My guy I've just about been hit with every slur and threat in the book. (Usually a hard R, but what can ya do)I personally love the trash talk. I find it funny when something that doesn't truly matter irritates someone to that point. Who knows, maybe someone has had a rough day at work with their life down the drain and they need someone to scream at so they don't do something they'll regret. I don't mind taking a verbal beatdown.

    Tldr: it isn't an attitude, it's a life choice

  • @FriendlyKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/346957/why-people-choose-killers-over-survivor-and-how-to-potentially-fix-it

    Someone way back suggested survivors have access to a tier 4 version of all their perks. Which would give each survivor their own unique identities and strengths.

    It was unanimously approved of by survivors and killers alike then promptly forgotten.

    This is actually a brilliant idea. Do you have a link to the post so that I may read through it. I'm sure people had some cool insights to certain interactions.

  • Its a really good idea, but unfortunately no.

    This same idea was proposed a long time ago, and Unforutanly had to be shut down. Back when the direction was fun> balance, many people wanted this. However the push for what is balanced won out and the devs came to the correct opinion that if each survivor had a unique ability, it would create only further unbalance in the game and would likely undo a lot of good the devs have done to try to achieve some amount of balance. It would be hard to pick which perk for each survivor, however some survivors have really good perks, while others can be more of a hindrance.

    If you like this idea, players would need to change their attitude, and revert to a more relaxed party mindset that is ok with some things being unbalanced for the sake of fun, but Unforutanly it is unlikely to happen.

  • @Voodoomancer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3192613#Comment_3192613

    This is funny. I would love for someone to cuss me out over a game. That kind of fuel is the classic lobby experience. Might be good for more people to toughen up to words some

    Considering it's scarily easy for cheaters to get your IP address if you're a steam user and use it to ddos you, and potentially more, I don't think "Toughen up" is the correct response to harassment from crazy people.

  • This really doesn't do anything to sway me. I play killer because:

    - I'm not fond of playing in third person camera.

    - I don't care for having others rely on me and vice versa

    - I like playing the bad guys, even when I play them nicely.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3198448#Comment_3198448

    Where was the ad hominem? I'm actually curious. Oh, hang. If you are referring to this "That you must be cold, uncaring and nothing can hurt you." I wasn't saying you are cold and uncaring (I don't know you). I was stating that people seem to have this view that you most reflect this attitude or are deemed "too sensitive and need to toughen up"

    If you find "trash talk" enjoyable, you do you, but not everyone does. I don't want to overshare on here but I was in an abusive relationship for some time and a lot of verbal abuse was involved and to this day it can be triggering for me when someone verbally abuses me, even over a game.

    If someone needs to let of steam by abusing another person they really need to seek some sort of professional help because it's not a healthy way to deal with stress.

    In favor of a voice chat system that most implement is the ability to mute others. If you don't want to deal with someone else the turn off their output towards you. A vc would be very enjoyable especially as someone who plays survivor exclusively solo. The pros outweigh the cons in this instance.

1 2 ›