What do you guys do to make the solo queue fun/worth it?
As a strictly solo queue player I've already gotten to the point (after 3k hours) where I'm not even expecting to escape. I've just started giving myself "little victories" in order to feel like I'm not totally wasting my time lol. I got 4 stacks of WGLF? I consider that a dub. I manage to get Power Struggle value? Biiiiiig W. I loop the killer for a gen or 2? I'll take it. I distract the killer with Pebble? Major win. I never really took the game seriously, but I've found myself trying to just goof off because that's the only way to have fun in the game without being on comms with friends.
For the other solo queue gamers out there. What do you guys do to try and make the game "fun"? I know a lot of people are into flashlight/flashbang saves. But what are some suggestions? After the mid-chapter, solo queue may very well be dead, but I wanna try and salvage my sanity and make some fun out of a bummer situation.
Comments
I don't use meta perks except for possibly DS until I hit Iri grade. It then becomes exponentially easier to pip up since my MMR is lower from not using meta perks. As soon as I hit Iri One I unequip meta perks and go back to fun builds.
Flashlight save. Screw winning, it's about the plays haha. Solo queue will be fine.
I just play the game and usually do good.
Sometimes I live, sometimes I die, but in the vast majority of my games, it is fun/close.
Honesty I dont feel playing swf fun, its easier yes. But having a friend being tunneled out while you keep holding M1 until escape isnt fun. The different is you do Gen more effectively, and has higher chance to escape.
I dont know what to make Solo worth to play, since I play casual and never expect an escape.
I think solo-queue is made for masochists. Basically game-players that want to torture themselves, kind of like the priests that use to self-flagellate themselves in medieval times.
I don't play to escape. I play my favourite perks and items / fun perks and aim for some small personal goals. Like cleansing all totems, using maps, resetting pallets, messing with hooks, bringing a key for the slim chance hatch spawns etc. It makes solo queue fun for me. If i don't escape for 5/10/15 times in a row i generally don't care anymore. I just switch up my loadout and have a blast. Same goes for when i'm playing killer tbh.
Slippery meat escapes. No Mither builds. That is about it, really. I am kind of a boring survivor as I only have a few of them unlocked.
After my exhausting grind and battle for Rank 1 with gallons of blood and sweat, the next time I will even dare to play survivor is when some new achievements arrive. It was pure pain and torture before, but after new update I don't know what reason will remain except log in, do something silly and die/dc in first few minutes. Dubious fun.
Well, as a Killer Main, I get a small self satisfaction to having a team wipe, but I’m too competitive to throw a game. So…I enjoy SoloQ and putting on a totem destroying build. 5 tokens on Small Game is a win. Why not give that a go, you will be upsetting the Boon Meta so it’s an easier build to run when your not about the win or being a true teammate.
don't play specifically to survive, play to get better. go for dangerous strategies like getting chased on purpose to remove/reset a killer's pressure. Run perks like kindred/windows/empathy that give you tons of info that swfs would be coordinating, as well as improving routing and resource management.
If you only play solo queue to escape, the chaotic nature of the game is always going to disappoint. Better to use them as opportunities to get better and help offset that rng with more skill.
Same with me with the totems. If I can manage to cleanse all 5 totems It feels good. Sorry to the boon users.
I usually run chase perks and perks that help my teammates. I try to be a team player by doing the objective, taking hits and healing my teammates.
The build I typically run is: Sprint Burst, Window of Opportunity, Borrowed Time and WGLF
Play at off hours. Peak hour solo queue is super pointless and unfun. Always going to be one or two teammates meme'ing or throwing. The difference in my solo queue escape rate is incredible depending on the time of day.
Oh yeah lol sorry to the boon users 😂 But trust me that I will heal you instead
Play for points.
just do totems.
I just log in and play DBD that's fun enough. Even in solo I'd say my escape/death rate is about 50/50.
As long as the killer isn't hook camping/farming purely for the sake of ruining another individual's game AND my teammates are not collectively doing nothing while that is happening... I can find something to enjoy.
I've got a lot of gripes with DBD, but I take no bigger issue than a buzzkill killer and 2/3 teammates who don't know how (or simply refuse) to punish that behavior by slamming gens.
Edit: ...if this post was your roundabout way of asking for fun build recommendations:
Try: Balance, Smash Hit, Dead Hard, and Head On
With the goal of activating each perk at least once while in chase. Killer will lose his f'ing mind.
I run a variant of this build with Vigil instead of Head On quite often now, only because Head On is difficult to see value without Q&Q
Just knowing I wasn't toxic and I was a good teammate is a W for me. I hate ending up with a feeling that I wasn't useful to my team since I'm not really good when it comes to looping killers, I'm better at being a gen jockey or healer. I am practicing looping Killers better though, that way I can provide more use to my team, the longest I've looped was a gen, and a second one popped as the killer was going to hook me.
I just enjoy the games where its actually balanced in terms of skill for both sides and there is no camping, the ones where its pointless or there is camping... well, I just try to farm as much points as I can but I dont really put any real effort on those, I do try to get the 5 gens if there is camping but is moot almost always since there is no coordination.
Just tried this build. Shockingly enough the only perk I got value out of was Head On. Never in my life have I gotten a stun from Head On without Q&Q
Will return after another attempt
What I do to have fun is, I copy Monto's old wacky Survivor builds that are fun and never before seen!
I also like to mix and create my own builds that is focused on certain things, like my favourite build to create is the "For my Team" Build.
Where I go Borrowed Time + We'll Make It + Guardian + Prove Thy Self. It's my favourite build because it focuses around being a Support for my Team, with fast healing after unhook, giving Borrowed Time in case they get tunneled and Guardian on top just makes them so much more harder to catch after getting Unhooked.
It's just one of the many Support Builds I run, I have fun by playing for my Team.
Tome challenges. Some are fun and some are pain but I always have a goal besides escaping.
if only it were that simple
I role play my character.
Yun-Jin I play super selfish and only unhook if it's super safe. I don't sandbag but I will avoid chases if someone else is around. Come to think of it I may sandbag a little but that's just yun-jin.
Laurie my goal is to be last alive
Bill I sacrifice myself to ensure someone else doesn't die.
Dwight I locker hop
It's stupid but gives me something to focus on besides escaping which helps the game be less stressful
I suicide on hook when I'm bored/the game is lost anyway.
I try not to take it too seriously while at the same time trying to be helpful to my teammates.
With the new mid-chapter perk changes, I'm looking forward to trying No Mither, Resilience, Overzealous, and Deja Vu.
Cleanse a totem at the start and quietly repair Deja Vu gens 14% faster until a stealth killer shows up (Spine Chill will no longer save me)