Change on camping and tunneling

The next update is massive and I appreciate devs' work on that. However, I would like to discuss about the change on camping and tunneling.


Adding the buffs (endurance and haste) are good to prevent tunneling. If killers still decide to tunnel, it may take a little bit longer. However, I'm concerned that this change won't help with camping. Both buffs will active once the survivor is unhooked, but the annoying part of camping is going for the unhook. Say if Bubba is camping your friend, this change won't do anything because you just can't unhook the survivor. I wish the dev had considered this as well.

Comments

  • @Tizzle said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3019336#Comment_3019336

    Did you not understand when this was implemented no changes were made whatsoever before it was completely scrapped?

    You need only look at Barbeque and Chili to see that incentivising Killers to leave the hook does not work.

    Nearly 6 years later yet here we are with the exact same problems.

    As I said, those problems would have been rectified if the timer resumed its normal state if the Killer was in chase near the hook or a Survivor entered the range that the timer stopped.

    With the changes as they are now the game is going to become nothing more than camp/gen simulator with a drastic increase in players suiciding on first hook and simply moving on to the next game trying to not get caught first.

    No I understood.

    Your proposed solution is the same as the infinite stage one solution people will just hang on hook for the duration.

    Why go to the hook and restart the timer when if the killer camps the timer stops giving you infinite game time.

    Seems pretty obvious to me it wouldn’t work very well, seemed pretty obvious to the devs.

    Why make changes to implement something that doesn’t work just to test for longer that it doesn’t work?

    At the risk of oversimplifying it you don’t have to punch yourself in the face multiple times to test if it hurts, some rational consideration will answer that for you without the repeated testing.

  • 🙄 I am kinda worried about them not really addressing camping. If it's an ugly bubba or an ugly trickster, or even uglier perm t3 myers, then it's ggs. Nerf speed boost and give some stbfl stacks, lets see what happens when I test this out on ptb. Wait, and also gens take longer so I can camp more efficiently I heard

  • There's no points talking to him because he admitted that he never plays survivors. All he cares is his fun, so no point talking to a troll.

  • They actually made camping more effective gameplay by increasing the gen times. Devs on stream said to counter camping Bubba focus on gens - that was the one counter they would say to counter camping killers, don't try for save instead focus on gens. That being the only counter was already difficult enough, especially in solo where one or more survivors may check out the hook to see if a save is possible which takes time needed away from the gens. Now they've increased gen times a total of 50 seconds (10 seconds for each gen) making the counter even less effective.

    Sure the 5 second endurance and haste may help a little but currently running BT doesn't always help v camping killers because they can grab you off unhook or if instadown could down you and then either slug you by hook (they are buffing knock out to help with this) or if in basement add you to one of those hooks.

  • @SN34KYSQU1D said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3018624#Comment_3018624

    It doesn't have to be if BHVR implements extra mechanics like Prop Night that stops the hook timer under specific conditions (like Camaraderie). Create a radius for all killers that stops the timer if you stay within that radius for too long and create a Line-of-Sight mechanic for killers with range or speed like Huntress or Blight that slows down the timer, the longer you stare, the slower it moves. And if done based on a killer by killer basis, this could make a huge difference. Unless the code is so finicky that they can't mess with the base hook timer (I wouldn't be surprised, coding isn't easy, especially with older codes), there's no reason they haven't implemented things like this yet.

    It has nothing to do with code, it has to do with survivors abusing everything devs have tried, such as slowing down hook timer etc,... this is why Carmeraderie became a perk because devs tested all kinds of ways to "punish killer for staying near hook" and in the end determined survivors abused it to keep the killer locked in a no win situation.

    Blame falls on survs, no one else. They want killers punished, then when devs try, they abuse the mechanics even during testing.

    No reason? That reason is spelled "survivors"

  • How about they make the hook mechanic like that of Pyramid Head's cage? If killers stay near a certain distance from the hook for a certain duration, the hook and the hooked survivor just teleport to somewhere else. This mechanic, however, will stop once the exit gates are powered (or opened) because at that time it's reasonable to camp.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Camping is always going to be an issue. There's no way to fix it.

    Lol "no way to fix it" , if you increase repair time increase hook timer accordingly for a start, they're just gonna buff facecamp for no reason...

    If I was them I would focus on destroying facecamp as a playstyle it's the worst thing in this game, really pathetic. I don't know why they want higher kill rates so badly when it's already very common to die in solo Q, btw this whole event killer queue was insanely long and survivor queue instant

  • @rvzrvzrvz said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3018624#Comment_3018624

    Lol "no way to fix it" , if you increase repair time increase hook timer accordingly for a start, they're just gonna buff facecamp for no reason...

    If I was them I would focus on destroying facecamp as a playstyle it's the worst thing in this game, really pathetic. I don't know why they want higher kill rates so badly when it's already very common to die in solo Q, insane if you ask me, btw this whole event killer queue was insanely long and survivor queue instant

    Killer ques increase during events because survivor mains play killer to get the rewards and extra BP, has always been this way. When its over theyll go back to Feng

  • Just bring the new No One Left Behind in end game 4head :)

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3020356#Comment_3020356

    Killer ques increase during events because survivor mains play killer to get the rewards and extra BP, has always been this way. When its over theyll go back to Feng

    okay everything is fine then, keep buffing facecamp

  • I did not say anything about facecamping, I replied about you saying killer ques were increased during event.

  • @Sheridan_LT said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3018632#Comment_3018632

    This is just an awful terrible change, I agree that Bubba camping with chainsaw should be nerfed but what the hell? You consider SHARING A TERROR RADIUS WITH THE HOOK a camp? Please, just. Be better at survivor. That is sad. The whole point of doing a risky unhook when a Killer is either nearby or turns around to see you is that it's risky and puts you in danger. Survivors shouldn't be rewarded for having 1 dedicated genrusher that sneaks around and does all the gens and 1 unhooker that unhooks in your face right after you hook.

    Killers should never be forced away from a Hooked survivor because while a survivor is hooked, you don't HAVE to unhook them. You can just genrush around. If you want to trade, that's your problem but there should be at least a trade happening. This would also massively slow down hook timers.

    The problem is that for that player who is hooked, you've now turned a suspenseful game of tag into the worlds worst rhythm game and you're no longer allowed to play the game you wanted to simply because a killer decided they only want one cheap kill.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Camping is always going to be an issue. There's no way to fix it.

    Not without survivors abusing the heck out of it

  • I feel like new dead hard could help with camping as could off the record midgame and generally I think that's the point of increased number of endurance effects.

    Maybe I'm giving bhvr too much credit but I feel like that could be the logic behind it although it's unclear if it'll work out that way and even if I'm right it's still the old problem of fix gameplay problem with perks.

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3019351#Comment_3019351

    The current listed changes are a step in the right direction.

    Enhance players after the unhook but in a way that trying to leverage it aggressively (the ol BT body block) comes with the cost of squandering the added benefits (the speed boost).

    We’ll see how it plays out and if it’s enough or too much to be basekit.

    I gotta admit I’m kind of in the mind these days that camping doesn’t really need a direct solution as I said sometimes it’s the appropriate play to make.

    Indirectly “solving” camping by providing incentive to chase and switch targets is probably enough, that’s just my own opinion on it.

    EDIT: True the survivor has to sit there too but non participation is one of the threats you face from the killer and a substantial one at that. Maybe something more entertaining than spamming buttons or repeated skill checks would lessen the monotony though.

    Yeah, it's just that to me, if the way hooks function were implemented into any other game, people would be pissed off (rightly so), but here, people just accept it.

    Like, imagine playing Call of Duty and they made it so that when the enemy kills you, you have to sit there for a minute doing absolutely nothing and then for another minute, you have to do really bad QTE. No one would play.

    The problem is that it requires a large overhaul to fix because by BVHR's original design, hooks on the survivor's side are only engaging when you're new to the game.

  • @rvzrvzrvz said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3018624#Comment_3018624

    Lol "no way to fix it" , if you increase repair time increase hook timer accordingly for a start, they're just gonna buff facecamp for no reason...

    If I was them I would focus on destroying facecamp as a playstyle it's the worst thing in this game, really pathetic. I don't know why they want higher kill rates so badly when it's already very common to die in solo Q, insane if you ask me, btw this whole event killer queue was insanely long and survivor queue instant

    Well it seems not to be true that "it's already very common to die in solo Q,".

    In short, you are wrong, and that is why they said quite literally that on avg the Kill rate is low.

    Capture.JPG


  • Add a slight increase to gen repair speeds the longer the killer is in a certain radius to the hooked survivor that gets slightly faster over time. That way, a killer can still camp, and probably get that kill if they're really sweating for it, but it costs them. And they still may (probably will, lets be honest) get a group, SWF or not, that will have at least 1 or 2 super altruistic teammates that will crouch behind a rock waiting for the opportunity that's not going to come and so in those cases, increased gen speeds won't really matter.

    Thats why I think its a good system to put in place bc it won't necessarily be in favor of one side as a given. Gameplay still matters. Either the other 3 as a whole, get on board with gen rushing a camping killer, but the 4th has to be a good sport and struggle for all stages. The killer gets gen rushed. Makes it not worth it for them.

    If the hooked survivor doesn't hang in there and kill themselves on the hook, the killer moves on, ist now 3v1 in favor of the killer. If you get a pack of super altruistic survivors, the one survivor MAYBE doing a gen, won't benefit much from increased repair speed in the long run, especially if the killer is just going to camp someone else after, the cycle will continue. And let's say they get the save while one person was doing a gen. It's very possible to get a save, and you as a team can still try for it if you want, its just harder sometimes than others, depends on the killer, perks, addons, ect. One survivor doing a gen isn't much, even repairing faster than normal. And the altruism will continue to work in a camping killer's favor on the next hook. (Survivor mains... ULTRA altruism kills LOL)

    So its just enough to punish a camping killer if survivors play it right, and may discourage some killers from doing it as much over time, but also isn't a "gimme" for survivors just because a killer is camping. If the survivors can get the save, great. If its a camping bubba who can't be lured away, then at least its not a "gimme" for the killer either, it will cost them.

    for whatever reason, you don't think its a good idea, thats fine, it may not be for reasons I haven't thought of but simply saying "survivors can exploit this" really isn't a counter to this... because thats the point. If a killer wants to camp, they still can, but survivors are supposed to exploit this if the killer does camp. I mean you can't make the killer camp LOL. And I'm not talking 50% increased gen speed here. I don't know what percentages would work. It has to be enough to make a difference, but not enough to make each gen a 25-second gen, just an overall general thought.

  • @SN34KYSQU1D said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3019391#Comment_3019391

    Yeah, it's just that to me, if the way hooks function were implemented into any other game, people would be pissed off (rightly so), but here, people just accept it.

    Like, imagine playing Call of Duty and they made it so that when the enemy kills you, you have to sit there for a minute doing absolutely nothing and then for another minute, you have to do really bad QTE. No one would play.

    The problem is that it requires a large overhaul to fix because by BVHR's original design, hooks on the survivor's side are only engaging when you're new to the game.

    Fair point.

    We'll have to see how the new changes pan out to begin with.

  • @Catastrophe said:

    How about they make the hook mechanic like that of Pyramid Head's cage? If killers stay near a certain distance from the hook for a certain duration, the hook and the hooked survivor just teleport to somewhere else. This mechanic, however, will stop once the exit gates are powered (or opened) because at that time it's reasonable to camp.

    Hi. So this is how I approach the camping / tunneling skill play. Crossplay off. Steam only. Pre-Game Chat: "Hi! If we run into a camper and tunneler killer (again), PLS leave me on the hook, do your gens and get out. I will stay on the hook as long as possible. DO NOT COME AND GET ME. If I am the second last to hook and there is more than 1 gen left I will kill myself as soon as I see you on the furtherst gate or at an hatch spawn location. I am more than happy to die on my first hook - believe me! Do not give them extra BPs. Altruismus kills!"

    I run Kindred and Camaraderie. Just in case. Never ever any second chance perks.

    I can't even begin to tell you, how many killers are calling me so many "unnice" things in post-game chat. Like I was throwing the match for them. That they hardly got any bloodpoints. This is not the way they wanted or expected the match to go. They will come and hunt me down next match. Which totally makes no sense as for the above lines, but hey, I guess this is how they see the world.

    Well, listen up killers: we don't want the matches to go this way either. We play games for fun. So the match I died on my hook and you kept hitting me over and over again while I am on hook and shaking your head at me because it took you 2 gens to get me and the last gens just keep flying was not fun at all for me either. But it felt satisfying seeing 3 or at least 2 mates escape.

    Want to know a secret: when I run into the same killers again, they either ditch the lobby or dc (even days after) and tell me their opinion in post game chat. So at least some of them adapted to "my playstyle and my mechanic".

    Funf fact: Everyone in Pre Game Chat likes my idea on camping and we all agree to rather die than give extra bp away.

    Now all of you Killers, who see this strategy against your legit playstyle: in case me meet, this is what my legit playstyle looks like.

    I hope whoever made it to the end of this post has a lovely weekend and maybe I'll see you in the fog (German server).


    Bye, Linda

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Camping is always going to be an issue. There's no way to fix it.

    Oh yes its an a easy way just disabled all abilitys in a 10 meter range From the hook tada

    I,m getting more and more mad about the baby killer mains bc bhvr deleted ds and bt is just usless bc every baby can count to 5 sec so that ,,BT,, is once more useless it isnt even enough time to run the basement stairs up lmao

    I,m a killer main for four years and i just can tell right away that bhvr is trying their best to make bot killer happy alone the fact that noed is still one shot made me burst out lauhing the killers git so many buffs i alone lost in 100 rounds maybe 1 to max 2 round with blight and spirit nurse and now they still decided to let bot killers their free win perk called noed after deleting all surv perks xD

  • @Chomperka said:

    The problem is, if you ever played as killer against SWF or just decent players, you know it's impossible to -4 without camping/tunneling unless you play blight/nurse. That's what they need to fix. And i think prolonging gen repair time does perfect job at that. Of course you can't get rid of tunnelers and campers completely, but their amount would be significantly lower if that gamestyle won't be necessary.

    After this Update it will be defenetly to easy to win with all killers lmao so many basic buff its insane i just see ne already doing a 500 win streak

    After that update is spirit s tier again

    All low killer will have an easy time winning against solos

    All mid to high killers will dominat four mans now just by the way that the survs have pretty mutch only sprint burst and yeah thats easy counterable or they time it and risk to not be able to use it at all before chase

    Top tier killer enjoyers like myself already say the same thing we were able to win against four mans without even having to camp and tunnel plus while not using 4 gen perks but now bhvrvjust tells us to bring 4 gen perks after all those buffs on top you all will see so many people doing infinte Win streaks

  • @Catastrophe said:

    How about they make the hook mechanic like that of Pyramid Head's cage? If killers stay near a certain distance from the hook for a certain duration, the hook and the hooked survivor just teleport to somewhere else. This mechanic, however, will stop once the exit gates are powered (or opened) because at that time it's reasonable to camp.

    Nah just disable abilty around the hook easy counter and only bot who rely on their basic abilty to do everything for them by standing still and doing nothing would cry but who cares the massiv aspect of that updste shows that bhvr wants to see killers camping bc no punishment at all anymore ds minus 1 sec fot getting of the back 2 second will not be enough to get even distance for an m1 killer lmao

1 2 ›