Will Survivors ever get a new objective?
With the new anniversary getting closer, do you think Survivors could get something that isn't just a glorified loading screen?
Every single thing other than chase is just waiting in one spot for X amount of seconds, wouldn't it be more fun if Survivors actually had to travel the map? For example get something from point A to point B? (other than themselves of course)
Or maybe some new minigame that isn't just modified skill checks.
What do you think tho?
Comments
I'm not sure they'll add a 4th objective. They ready have 3
1 Gens
2 Abuse the killers
3 Complain about killers when they fail objectives 1 and 2
I've always thought each map should have a "thing" in it that changes the environment but it needs parts before it can be activated and those are scattered about the level and require an item slot to hold so no holding one and a health kit at the same time.
Killer that down you while you're holding one of the parts cause you to drop them, but they can't pick them up. They can however "sabotage" the "thing" once all the parts are placed if they get to it before its activated.
The new side objective is to mend.
Slice slice.
No but somehow they'll find a way to give the killer something else to do. Killers just have too much time and not enough to do so maybe after every hook they have to go across the map to get The Entity's blessing to hook their next victim or something.
I really want this to happen, but I have my doubts it ever will. The Devs were working on an "early game collapse" a while back that I'm guessing would've been a new objective of some sort. Unfortunately none of their ideas panned out and the scrapped the entire early game collapse concept.
I am waiting with bated breath for the anniversary stream to prove me wrong though.
I'll cry if that happens lmao
While this sounds like it could make the game more interesting, it's also adding an extra objective for the killer to defend as well.
We already have some maps that change when certain gens are completed. The Game, Temple.
Why not expand that to other things?
Maybe something on the Swamp or Eyrie changes when all the totems are cleansed, or certain doors open on Haddonfield if certain chests are unlocked.
Like they did with Boons.
And breakable doors, which are basically pre-dropped pallets that you must break.
With the release of Plaything and Pentimento. I dont think they will ever add another objective
With Legions recent Qol fixes I'm having a lot more fun with him.
Survivors have 2 secondary objectives. Chests and Boons. Also, Pig Traps, Cenobites Box, Sadakos tapes.
They already added another objective in the form of boons. I think what people mean when they call for another objective is "blanket survivor nerf".
I very much doubt it.
They complained enough about doing bones until circle of healing came along.
I mean, how many of these isn't just holding m1 for X amount of seconds? (and occasionally press space for skillchecks)
I wish there was something different than just a loading screen that you must come up to.
Nope. *Adds 10 more breakable walls to each map*
Survivors (as a team) got a new objective in Ruin / Undying.
They complained constantly and were completely unable to handle "look for 1 to 5 totems" as an objective. So they changed it to be "look for 2" instead.
Survivors (as a team) got a new objective in Pinhead's Lament Configuration.
BHVR was smart this time, though. They knew that survivors are lazy, so they gave them 90 seconds to find it. They knew survivors don't like to have to go looking for things, so they let all survivors know where the box is all the way across the map. They knew random spawn spots can sometimes be unfavorable, so they let survivors carry the box where ever they like, to find a strong looping tile before solving it. And they knew survivors can't handle more than 1 thing per game, so they made Pinhead's other power, the controlled chains, extremely useless in a majority of situations (they then also nerfed the controlled chains so survivors can see them coming).
Survivors complained and failed to do the box and complained some more, and DC'd and made twitter posts / forum threads and complained and on and on. They even took away the best tools Pinhead players had to make the box hunt side objective slightly harder. Still. Still they complain.
Survivor Players in this game have proven themselves incapable of handling new objectives. There will not get side objectives unless unless it falls into at least one of these categories:
1) it is 100% optional and 100% in the player's control. (chests)
2) doing it is a WILD power spike for the survivor team. (boons)
Making the game even slightly more complicated with a side-objective that hinders survivors makes most of them just give up.
Yep,... "could not find the time to do bones"
"there's no time to do bones"
Now they do boons all match and suddenly have the time to do bones all game well, to apply Circle of Healing of course, they have time for that
I genuinely hope so, but at the same time I highly doubt it.
The way I see it, the Survivors objective being a holding down M1 simulator is probaply the most hurtful thing for this game at this point in time, so distancing the game from this repetetive and boring gameplay concept would be one of the best staps to take in terms of game health.
Now the reason why I said that I doubt it is, because of how fundamentally this concept is imbedded into DbD. They can't just rework gens to function differently and call it a day, there are powers, perks, items and add ons that are build around the progress bar, which too would need to be addressed.
Not to mention that said new objective would still need to be balanced in a way that makes it require a similar amount of time as the progress bar did, all of which, in short, is a whole lot of work.
Now if anyone is curious on why I think that the repetetive and boring Survivor objectives are the most hurtful thing to DbD at this point in time, here is a post I made about a week ago going into great detail on exactly this topic (I apologize for doing it this way, but it's simply too long to type out and explain again):
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/321010/dead-by-daylights-biggest-problem#latest
Back when they first introduced those Puss Pods during a Halloween Event, (forgot what they were called and the name f that specific event) multiple of these pods were scattered around the map that survivors would have to seek out and extract nectar from to receive progress toward a reward. This slowed down Gen Progress as survivors had something else to do. I'd say return those puss pod things and make it so that as you collect the nectar, you get 5k bloodpoints for each 1/4th of the vile you fill up to a max of 20k. Escaping with it nets you an extra 10k. And just like in the event, you wouldn't need to physically carry the vile.
Just a random thought.
I would actually say you are wrong on this, since you never hear Survivors complain that the game is stressful. It's the Killers, who always says the game is stressful and not fun to play and it's because they have so many objectives.
I've always thought that the Swamp levels are perfect for a slight redesign and adding in a mechanic that can partially flood portions of the map reducing survivor movement speed in the water.
They had one and it got nerfed to hell
considering that when killer players kept asking for secondary objectives for survivors and the devs gave killers a secondary objective (boons) instead, I wouldn’t count on it
I would recommend you read the post I linked in the first comment, as it goes over this in great detail.
In short, Killers having such a rough time is a direct result of Survivor objectives being so boring. It is basically impossible to address this without addressing the Survivors objectives first.
as long as killers only camp, face camp and tunnel we wont have time to do anything else than rush gens ASAP to potentially get 2 out (maybe)