DAVID KING IS OFFICIALLY GAY

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1519330593733021696?s=20&t=XS9IEADnHKZnTlflubMYHQ
References:............................................................................................................................................36

^ For those of you who don’t think this isn’t important at all. It’s a thesis that got the highest pass on why representation in media is important.

Lastly, before it’s brought up again:

image.jpeg

Courtesy of @GoodBoyKaru .

Tagged: BHVRMod

Comments

  • @kate_best_girl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2929553#Comment_2929553

    Not really because Nurse's husband has always been a core part of her backstory. David being gay has never been mentioned til now and all of sudden its all his character has become his entire backstory is now revolving around David being gay along with a huge announcement over it + a new terrible cosmetic that looks straight out of stereotypeville

    his second tome is about him being gay/coming out and the struggles he has because of it. They didn’t rewrite his background story or first time and all his characteristics stay exactly the same.


    @kate_best_girl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2929838#Comment_2929838

    Me when I take what someone said and twist to mean something different lol. I didn't say LGBT people are zoo animals I said we're being TREATED like zoo animals when a company takes an LGBT character and says "LOOK AT THIS WE HAVE A NEW GAY CHARACTER WOW LOOK HES GAY HES GAY NOW LOOK OVER HERE HES GAY!!!!" ######### else is that supposed to be?

    Luckily BHVR hasn’t done this, all they did was make a tiny tweet as a follow up to their announcement almost two years ago and that’s it. The community is blowing it up out of proportion.


    @Volcz said:

    They ruined my first real main (nothin against the gays but he's a Chad and it seems they just labeled him gay for the sake of needing more representation). Eenie minie moe type stuff.

    Sucks cause he is definitely the 'player' out of the entire roster, besides Felix. I feel like Felix or Ace would have been a better fit considering his costumes. Oh well. Not like I play him anymore, got my girls Meg & Feng anyways.

    You have literally no knowledge about the lore, do you? Felix and Ace are the least fitting to be gay and it makes perfect sense for David as there is nothing contradictory in his lore. David was always the guy drinking to much and starting fights in bars etc. You having a head canon shouldn’t dictate how BHVR expands their lore.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2930809#Comment_2930809

    his second tome is about him being gay/coming out and the struggles he has because of it. They didn’t rewrite his background story or first time and all his characteristics stay exactly the same.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2930811#Comment_2930811

    Luckily BHVR hasn’t done this, all they did was make a tiny tweet as a follow up to their announcement almost two years ago and that’s it. The community is blowing it up out of proportion.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2930838#Comment_2930838

    You have literally no knowledge about the lore, do you? Felix and Ace are the least fitting to be gay and it makes perfect sense for David as there is nothing contradictory in his lore. David was always the guy drinking to much and starting fights in bars etc. You having a head canon shouldn’t dictate how BHVR expands their lore.

    Well technically speaking David was not perfect as he was more than likely written to just be straight before this point.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931111#Comment_2931111

    Well technically speaking David was not perfect as he was more than likely written to just be straight before this point.

    Sources or arguments for David being intended to be straight? Because… i didn’t see anything supporting this in his lore other than a briefly mentioned ex girlfriend which now makes even more sense on why she was only mentioned briefly.

    actually the devs stated that at least one of their original characters was written with being LGBTQ+ in their mind - they didn’t reveal who they were talking about but it could have been David all along. It is fitting because of his relationship with his parents etc.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931118#Comment_2931118

    Sources or arguments for David being intended to be straight? Because… i didn’t see anything supporting this in his lore other than a briefly mentioned ex girlfriend which now makes even more sense on why she was only mentioned briefly.

    actually the devs stated that at least one of their original characters was written with being LGBTQ+ in their mind - they didn’t reveal who they were talking about but it could have been David all along. It is fitting because of his relationship with his parents etc.

    I'm just not gonna give bhvr that much credit. Benefit of the doubt? Sure.

    I'm not against them having that thought before, but it'd be nice to get the play by play of that process.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931126#Comment_2931126

    I'm just not gonna give bhvr that much credit. Benefit of the doubt? Sure.

    I'm not against them having that thought before, but it'd be nice to get the play by play of that process.

    Eh. Just going out and accusing them of retconning his sexuality without any proof is far worse than just admitting you don’t know and it could be either way. In the end, it doesn’t matter. We have the official lore and only that matters in story telling.

    also, I hope you were speaking up about Legions lore, iirc correctly there was actually retconning going on and it was shoving their heterosexuality down our throats. I don’t remember seeing many people saying they have a problem with retconning there. It seems like those people only ever have problems with it as soon as it’s LGBTQ+ related…

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931139#Comment_2931139

    Eh. Just going out and accusing them of retconning his sexuality without any proof is far worse than just admitting you don’t know and it could be either way. In the end, it doesn’t matter. We have the official lore and only that matters in story telling.

    also, I hope you were speaking up about Legions lore, iirc correctly there was actually retconning going on and it was shoving their heterosexuality down our throats. I don’t remember seeing many people saying they have a problem with retconning there. It seems like those people only ever have problems with it as soon as it’s LGBTQ+ related…

    Being real man, I don't follow the lore anyways that nurse and wraith thing is something I ignored when I first seen it, thought it was more of a joke. And the legion stuff? Ehh, it's like unnecessary,

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931146#Comment_2931146

    Being real man, I don't follow the lore anyways that nurse and wraith thing is something I ignored when I first seen it, thought it was more of a joke. And the legion stuff? Ehh, it's like unnecessary,

    Then why focus on David being revealed as gay? And please don’t say it’s because of the tweet because they have made lore tweets and interactive lore quizzes on twitter for quite some time now - and those are way bigger and more prominent than David’s one tweet..

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931160#Comment_2931160

    Then why focus on David being revealed as gay? And please don’t say it’s because of the tweet because they have made lore tweets and interactive lore quizzes on twitter for quite some time now - and those are way bigger and more prominent than David’s one tweet..

    I still think it's just a weird thing for them to make an already existing character gay in cases.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931165#Comment_2931165

    I still think it's just a weird thing for them to make an already existing character gay in cases.

    But why? It was never stated or implied that David was gay.

    did you have a problem with any other tome that expanded the lore of a character? Most of the story add something new about the characters, relationships, experiences, struggles, etc pp. Tome story’s are literally there for expanding the lore and fleshing out the characters.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931176#Comment_2931176

    But why? It was never stated or implied that David was gay.

    did you have a problem with any other tome that expanded the lore of a character? Most of the story add something new about the characters, relationships, experiences, struggles, etc pp. Tome story’s are literally there for expanding the lore and fleshing out the characters.

    Not every lore expansion in a story will have positive reviews.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931180#Comment_2931180

    Not every lore expansion in a story will have positive reviews.

    Sure. But at least in case of Legion and Nurse there were actually coming arguments as to why it was received negatively.

    For David being revealed as gay people against it can’t state why. It’s well written and is tying together loose ends from previous lore. It’s one of the best examples of how tome story’s should be and people are just like ‚no it’s forced‘ without any actual argument.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931193#Comment_2931193

    Sure. But at least in case of Legion and Nurse there were actually coming arguments as to why it was received negatively.

    For David being revealed as gay people against it can’t state why. It’s well written and is tying together loose ends from previous lore. It’s one of the best examples of how tome story’s should be and people are just like ‚no it’s forced‘ without any actual argument.

    The same reason your saying its good is the same reason their saying it isn't. You can like it and they can simply not.

    You see good writing, they don't. Etc.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931206#Comment_2931206

    The same reason your saying its good is the same reason their saying it isn't. You can like it and they can simply not.

    You see good writing, they don't. Etc.

    And yet with many other tomes you can give clear examples as to why the writing is bad. With David they can't, all they say is "shoehorned in" and nothing more, which shockingly isn't an actual criticism that applies to his lore because it wasn't.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931206#Comment_2931206

    The same reason your saying its good is the same reason their saying it isn't. You can like it and they can simply not.

    You see good writing, they don't. Etc.

    So.. there is literally no argument against it and no reason why David shouldn’t be gay? It’s just people don’t like it if someone is revealed as gay while being okay with characters getting heterosexual relationships added to their lore out of the blue?

    you don’t see any double standards here?

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931209#Comment_2931209

    And yet with many other tomes you can give clear examples as to why the writing is bad. With David they can't, all they say is "shoehorned in" and nothing more, which shockingly isn't an actual criticism that applies to his lore because it wasn't.

    I wouldn't know, but hey, everyone can have thier own opinions.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931209#Comment_2931209

    So.. there is literally no argument against it and no reason why David shouldn’t be gay? It’s just people don’t like it if someone is revealed as gay while being okay with characters getting heterosexual relationships added to their lore out of the blue?

    you don’t see any double standards here?

    I'm not much of the lore guy, so I can't say too much else about other relationships, but if other LGBT people have had criticisms about it, surely they have their own reasons.

  • @JimbusCrimbus said:

    Cool?

    As a fellow gay person myself, here's the part where I don't really care. shrug lol

    Ohhhh they retroactively made a character gay. Big POG. It took them YEARS to do that. But yes, let's give them all the praise in the world, for taking this long, do to something as important as representation, and half-assing it like normal.

    As a gay man, this is my opinion too. Many other gay people will say I should be grateful for any representation and that I shouldn't be putting it down.


    But, in the nicest and most respetfuk way possible way possible, to them I say: get better standards. Making a character, that they know the fanbase play cause he is 'hot', gay is not progressive, supportive or appropriate representation.


    I'd you want a gay character, make one with their own backstory. They've literally just launched a new male survivor who could have been gay.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931213#Comment_2931213

    I wouldn't know, but hey, everyone can have thier own opinions.

    Homophobia is not an opinion. And if you are against LGBTQ+ inclusion while being fine with heterosexuality shoved in everywhere then… guess what? That’s not just an opinion.

    hiding hatred behind the excuse of ‚it’s just an opinion‘ is pathetic.

  • @jajay119 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922462#Comment_2922462

    As a gay man, this is my opinion too. Many other gay people will say I should be grateful for any representation.

    To them I say, get better standards. Making a character, that they know the fanbase play cause he is 'hot', gay is not progressive, supportive or appropriate representation.

    I'd you want a gay character, make one with their own backstory. They've literally just launched a new male survivor who could have been gay.

    Yoichi is licenced, so he can't be made gay on BHVR's own standards, and before that is... Jonah. A war criminal with no sympathy and who doesn't appreciate just how ######### his actions are.

    If Jonah was our gay rep I'd feel insulted.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931219#Comment_2931219

    Homophobia is not an opinion. And if you are against LGBTQ+ inclusion while being fine with heterosexuality shoved in everywhere then… guess what? That’s not just an opinion.

    hiding hatred behind the excuse of ‚it’s just an opinion‘ is pathetic.

    Well I'm not one of ones fighting it, I'm just staying involved.

    Surely there'd a reason why they feel it's forced even if there is lore written to back it up. I can't even finely articulate things sometimes.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931232#Comment_2931232

    Yoichi is licenced, so he can't be made gay on BHVR's own standards, and before that is... Jonah. A war criminal with no sympathy and who doesn't appreciate just how ######### his actions are.

    If Jonah was our gay rep I'd feel insulted.

    I didn't realise Yoichi was licensed. But my point still stands. If you want gay characters then make them from the ground up. Don't retroactively change a character. Its not appropriate.

  • @jajay119 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922462#Comment_2922462

    As a gay man, this is my opinion too. Many other gay people will say I should be grateful for any representation.

    To them I say, get better standards. Making a character, that they know the fanbase play cause he is 'hot', gay is not progressive, supportive or appropriate representation.

    I'd you want a gay character, make one with their own backstory. They've literally just launched a new male survivor who could have been gay.

    Eh. Many gay people in the fanbase don’t even find David ‚hot‘ but are preferring other characters like Felix or Dwight or Jeff. That’s not an argument as it can be used against literally any character. David’s backstory and new tome are fitting well together.

    and just creating a new character and making them LGBTQ+ would startle many people as well: it’s pandering, bad writing because one dimensional, their whole personality revolves around their sexuality, it feels forced, they only did it for the money.

  • @jajay119 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931236#Comment_2931236

    I didn't realise Yoichi was licensed. But my point still stands. If you want gay characters then make them from the ground up. Don't retroactively change a character. Its not appropriate.

    And where's it say he was confirmed straight?

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931232#Comment_2931232

    Eh. Many gay people in the fanbase don’t even find David ‚hot‘ but are preferring other characters like Felix or Dwight or Jeff. That’s not an argument as it can be used against literally any character. David’s backstory and new tome are fitting well together.

    and just creating a new character and making them LGBTQ+ would startle many people as well: it’s pandering, bad writing because one dimensional, their whole personality revolves around their sexuality, it feels forced, they only did it for the money.

    As per that second paragraph, the same can be said about David.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931246#Comment_2931246

    As per that second paragraph, the same can be said about David.

    uhm. Yeah. Exactly. That’s why those are bad arguments and just excuses to hate on inclusion while hiding behind ‚it’s just an opinion‘

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931256#Comment_2931256

    uhm. Yeah. Exactly. That’s why those are bad arguments and just excuses to hate on inclusion while hiding behind ‚it’s just an opinion‘

    Well I'm not on any given side and even I'll say both are right in their own regards.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931264#Comment_2931264

    Well I'm not on any given side and even I'll say both are right in their own regards.

    You are not on a side?

    you already stated you think it feels random and weird to choose David (while they explicitly stated how they decided on David as their first rep and it’s all but random) and you stated you think David was written/created to be straight - without any arguments supporting this.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931283#Comment_2931283

    You are not on a side?

    you already stated you think it feels random and weird to choose David (while they explicitly stated how they decided on David as their first rep and it’s all but random) and you stated you think David was written/created to be straight - without any arguments supporting this.

    I side what I said. At the end of the day that's just my opinion and imma stick with it til I see a reason to change it.

    Aso I think you might be referencing Peanits a bit there. Terrible response from dude.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931293#Comment_2931293

    I side what I said. At the end of the day that's just my opinion and imma stick with it til I see a reason to change it.

    Aso I think you might be referencing Peanits a bit there. Terrible response from dude.

    You have contradicted yourself multiple times already. Maybe try to form an honest and own opinion first.

    And don’t just use your head canon.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931834#Comment_2931834

    You have contradicted yourself multiple times already. Maybe try to form an honest and own opinion first.

    And don’t just use your head canon.

    I have only kept to my original opinion and I'll continue keeping it.

  • @Chocolate_Cosmos said:

    I think it would be better to make a new character rather than just go back YEARS in the past. It feels forced, sorry.

    What's to say they're not going to make future characters gay though? I agree that it feels forced but I would hope they don't see it as a "alright we made a character gay check it off the representation list"

  • Have I understood that correctly? David King had a girlfriend and now he's gay? Does that mean the entity turned him gay? How evil is that? *takes cover* Jokes aside (: - and to all the negative posts here:

    I don't understand why many people are whining about how long it took to introduce an LGBTQIA+ character. Better late than never. I mean I've been waiting for a crop top for Feng Min for over 5 years and I'm still super excited.

    Personally, I'm not really interested in the story elements of the characters, but I'm happy for everyone who is happy about a gay David. And for me personally, David and Dwight have always been gay :)

  • They should make Pyramid Head gay

  • @Tr1nity said:

    They should make Pyramid Head gay

    Pretty sure Pyramid Head isn’t straight, but i could be wrong..

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931896#Comment_2931896

    I have only kept to my original opinion and I'll continue keeping it.

    Pretty sure you didn’t even express an actual opinion here and just threw around with some half baked statements, talking BHVR down without actually saying what they did wrong in your eyes, saying Peanits statement feels like an excuse when it was very well formulated and can be backed by several statements from them over the past two years. You said David was a bad choice because you think he was created with being straight in mind which is just your self made head canon which doesn’t have anything in-game to base it on…

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932010#Comment_2932010

    Pretty sure Pyramid Head isn’t straight, but i could be wrong..

    I don't know if it's ever mentioned

  • I didn’t play the games and only have knowledge of it from these forums, but I am pretty sure he is some kind of manifestation of a man’s desires/guilt/whatever? And if that manifests in the form of a muscular buff man… well..

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932029#Comment_2932029

    I didn’t play the games and only have knowledge of it from these forums, but I am pretty sure he is some kind of manifestation of a man’s desires/guilt/whatever? And if that manifests in the form of a muscular buff man… well..

    It's meant to be forged in overwhelming masculinity due to James having killed his wife, I'm pretty sure.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2931905#Comment_2931905

    Pretty sure you didn’t even express an actual opinion here and just threw around with some half baked statements, talking BHVR down without actually saying what they did wrong in your eyes, saying Peanits statement feels like an excuse when it was very well formulated and can be backed by several statements from them over the past two years. You said David was a bad choice because you think he was created with being straight in mind which is just your self made head canon which doesn’t have anything in-game to base it on…

    They could've made Felix gay and just expanded the lore there and it'd be the same as David.

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932028#Comment_2932028

    They could've made Felix gay and just expanded the lore there and it'd be the same as David.

    Totally different as we know Felix has a wife he started a family with which meant much to him. Sure, he could still be gay trying to hide this from himself or others but it would feel not as natural as with David, where everything adds up.

    they didn’t just made David gay, they wrote a story, tying in loose and existing ends from his previous background and times story and created a coherent new story about his struggles of coming out.


    Its objectively viewed a well written story. In other cases like Felix it would obviously need a story to say if it feels natural and fitting or not but just saying they could made him gay… eh. No. That’s not how this works.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932071#Comment_2932071

    Totally different as we know Felix has a wife he started a family with which meant much to him. Sure, he could still be gay trying to hide this from himself or others but it would feel not as natural as with David, where everything adds up.

    they didn’t just made David gay, they wrote a story, tying in loose and existing ends from his previous background and times story and created a coherent new story about his struggles of coming out.

    Its objectively viewed a well written story. In other cases like Felix it would obviously need a story to say if it feels natural and fitting or not but just saying they could made him gay… eh. No. That’s not how this works.

    Literally what they did tiger.

  • David just had a girlfriend mentioned. That’s completely different than a wife. And that girlfriend wasn’t written as a big part of his life, but just mentioned super briefly which already felt very odd and didn’t make much sense. Now with the new lore this brief mentioning actually makes sense. Without this new tome, the girlfriend actually feels completely irrelevant and just thrown in for the sake of it.

  • Who cares?


    What does it matter? Why does his sexuality matter?


    Has nothing to do with gameplay

  • @SilentShepherd said:

    Who cares?

    What does it matter? Why does his sexuality matter?

    Has nothing to do with gameplay

    if you don't care about lore, great! some people do! move along

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932083#Comment_2932083

    David just had a girlfriend mentioned. That’s completely different than a wife. And that girlfriend wasn’t written as a big part of his life, but just mentioned super briefly which already felt very odd and didn’t make much sense. Now with the new lore this brief mentioning actually makes sense. Without this new tome, the girlfriend actually feels completely irrelevant and just thrown in for the sake of it.

    Most of David's lore was vague anyway

  • Exactly. And Felix‘ lore isn’t. So, not the same.

  • Felix isn't fooling anybody

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932029#Comment_2932029

    I didn’t play the games and only have knowledge of it from these forums, but I am pretty sure he is some kind of manifestation of a man’s desires/guilt/whatever? And if that manifests in the form of a muscular buff man… well..

    I think desires/guilt/whatever got to do with James Sunderland wife could be wrong I only played silent hill 1 and 3

  • that the point he trying to make,David's lore was vague Felix lore wasn't he had wife and family meant alot to him and David just had a girlfriend mentioned which a lot of gay men have had girlfriends before coming out feels more real.

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2932182#Comment_2932182

    that the point he trying to make,David's lore was vague Felix lore wasn't he had wife and family meant alot to him and David just had a girlfriend mentioned which a lot of gay men have had girlfriends before coming out feels more real.

    I know exactly what he means.

1 … 5 6 7 8 9 … 11