Dead hard rework, what I'm hoping and what I think is the best action

So this will be a very long post, I'll do a quick summary for the lazy readers ;) and a full version after so.....

Quick summary of me: been playing since console release, both roles. Always rank one and would now assume high mmr. I know pretty much everything about the game from perks, killer counters, maps/tiles and even totem spawns.

In short: DH, a strong perk with many uses at most tiles and loops. Hurts basic attack killers more than antiloop ones. The distance should be changed, this would make it less strong against basic killers and would reduce the gap between basic attack and the more powerful antiloop killers.

Long version: DH currently has 2 parts to it, this is what makes it such a strong and multi use perk as it has next to 0 limitations and requirements. Requirements being injured and not exhausted, and it's two effects being distance and iframes.

Distance: basically allows you to cover more distance than usual, this mean you can get to pallets and vaults you wouldn't normally make and gives you the ability to correct mistakes (or mindgames by the killer) at a loop or gives you an extra free rotation in a loop. Can still be used to get to a corner faster avoiding a ranged attack

Iframes: while in animation you take 0damage and arent affected by certain actions. This is great to avoid ranged attacks like a hatchet or a very well timed use a shock from doctor.

Out of these two effects the distance clearly adds alot of extra possibilities to the perk, why I do think its terrible a perk is able to correct a mistake for free I feel the impact it has on basic attack killers due to this is what hurts them the most. While antiloop killers are usually stronger by base they arent as affected by the distance. (If a huntress can throw over a loop, she can keep you there even with DH)

So if we changed the distance (like I recommend) it would reduce the distance between the basic attack killers and the antiloop ones (usually the stronger ones) this means 1 perk isnt widening their potential and makes overall balances better in the future as a perk wont be changing the outcome.

So if the distance what would the use of DH be? Well this means DH now has a specific use much like other perks. So DH main use now would be to avoid an antiloop/ranged attack (usually linked to the stronger killers) but DH still has the ability to avoid damage, this means you can DH past a Billy/blight coming towards you and even over trappers traps. As you can see there are lots of uses still but now has a more focused use.

Unlike most exhaustion perks DH doesnt need much requirements. For example lithe and balanced require an interaction from the map itself, and sure SB etc. Just work whenever but you have to be less efficient walking around or if you 99 it you cant make progress on a heal or gen and still save it.

Overall DH atm has too much freedom and use and that's why its meta. With this change it would not only reduce its use (less meta, more perks may be used) but it now has a specific use like most perks and would reduce the gap/damage it does to the basic attack killers meaning theyrr more effectively. In turn making all killers on a better more equal playing field.

Thoughts?

Comments

  • I think the i-frames will be removed, probably the easiest solution and makes the most sense.

  • Here's a rework for Dead Hard (not mine) that I think would fix the problems with it.

    Dead Hard no longer gives distance.

    If Dead Hard dodges an attack successfully, break into a sprint for 2 seconds.

    Basically, if Dead Hard dodges an attack, the Survivor will be granted a Sprint Burst (150% movement speed) for 2 seconds. The Killer will have the missed attack cooldown, not the successful one

  • @Fantasy said:

    I think the i-frames will be removed, probably the easiest solution and makes the most sense.

    I disagree on the makes sense part, I just wrote a bunch explaining why the distance is a better choice

    @ThatOneDemoPlayer said:

    Here's a rework for Dead Hard (not mine) that I think would fix the problems with it.

    Dead Hard no longer gives distance.

    If Dead Hard dodges an attack successfully, break into a sprint for 2 seconds.

    Basically, if Dead Hard dodges an attack, the Survivor will be granted a Sprint Burst (150% movement speed) for 2 seconds. The Killer will have the missed attack cooldown, not the successful one

    Does that count for ranged attacks like hatches? Thatd be painful for huntress, and poor trickster lol

    Edit: great idea though, especially if it's on dodging basic attacks

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765102#Comment_2765102

    I disagree on the makes sense part, I just wrote a bunch explaining why the distance is a better choice

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765156#Comment_2765156

    Does that count for ranged attacks like hatches? Thatd be painful for huntress, and poor trickster lol

    Edit: great idea though, especially if it's on dodging basic attacks

    I'm not sure about that one, maybe reduce the duration of the Sprint Burst to 1 second on ranged attacks

  • @Fantasy said:

    I think the i-frames will be removed, probably the easiest solution and makes the most sense.

    Literally the distance part of it is what's busted about the perk.

  • Merge Dead Hard with No Mither.

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    So this will be a very long post, I'll do a quick summary for the lazy readers ;) and a full version after so.....

    Quick summary of me: been playing since console release, both roles. Always rank one and would now assume high mmr. I know pretty much everything about the game from perks, killer counters, maps/tiles and even totem spawns.

    In short: DH, a strong perk with many uses at most tiles and loops. Hurts basic attack killers more than antiloop ones. The distance should be changed, this would make it less strong against basic killers and would reduce the gap between basic attack and the more powerful antiloop killers.

    Long version: DH currently has 2 parts to it, this is what makes it such a strong and multi use perk as it has next to 0 limitations and requirements. Requirements being injured and not exhausted, and it's two effects being distance and iframes.

    Distance: basically allows you to cover more distance than usual, this mean you can get to pallets and vaults you wouldn't normally make and gives you the ability to correct mistakes (or mindgames by the killer) at a loop or gives you an extra free rotation in a loop. Can still be used to get to a corner faster avoiding a ranged attack

    Iframes: while in animation you take 0damage and arent affected by certain actions. This is great to avoid ranged attacks like a hatchet or a very well timed use a shock from doctor.

    Out of these two effects the distance clearly adds alot of extra possibilities to the perk, why I do think its terrible a perk is able to correct a mistake for free I feel the impact it has on basic attack killers due to this is what hurts them the most. While antiloop killers are usually stronger by base they arent as affected by the distance. (If a huntress can throw over a loop, she can keep you there even with DH)

    So if we changed the distance (like I recommend) it would reduce the distance between the basic attack killers and the antiloop ones (usually the stronger ones) this means 1 perk isnt widening their potential and makes overall balances better in the future as a perk wont be changing the outcome.

    So if the distance what would the use of DH be? Well this means DH now has a specific use much like other perks. So DH main use now would be to avoid an antiloop/ranged attack (usually linked to the stronger killers) but DH still has the ability to avoid damage, this means you can DH past a Billy/blight coming towards you and even over trappers traps. As you can see there are lots of uses still but now has a more focused use.

    Unlike most exhaustion perks DH doesnt need much requirements. For example lithe and balanced require an interaction from the map itself, and sure SB etc. Just work whenever but you have to be less efficient walking around or if you 99 it you cant make progress on a heal or gen and still save it.

    Overall DH atm has too much freedom and use and that's why its meta. With this change it would not only reduce its use (less meta, more perks may be used) but it now has a specific use like most perks and would reduce the gap/damage it does to the basic attack killers meaning theyrr more effectively. In turn making all killers on a better more equal playing field.

    Thoughts?

    Agreed. If you remove the distance dh would affect the same to m1 killers and antiloop killers.. nothing. Because you won’t see the perk again

  • Devs have already explicitly said their problem with the design is its use for distance giving the perk too much power, and that it’s not something they want the perk to do.

  • @Brimp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765102#Comment_2765102

    Literally the distance part of it is what's busted about the perk.

    Hard disagree.

  • Dodging an attack can be baited out and countered fine. Using it for distance is uncounterable to the absolute majority of killers. That is not healthy design. Thankfully, the devs have also realized this and are targeting the usability for distance in the perk.

  • ???? Literally its facts that the distance thats the most op part of the perk. Because dh at its intended use is terrible because gimmicks are never supposed to be good. But having distance on command is the most op thing you can have in chase.

  • If devs want to remove the distance part of the perk I can help them.. remove the perk. Everybody will use sb instead

  • @dictep said:

    If devs want to remove the distance part of the perk I can help them.. remove the perk. Everybody will use sb instead

    Honestly wouldnt mind that instead. Survivors would actually have to do some setup to use it mid chase.

  • @Brimp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765102#Comment_2765102

    Literally the distance part of it is what's busted about the perk.

    Agreed. Explained my reasoning in the OP if other are curious why, I ain't retyping lol.

    @SuzuKR said:

    Devs have already explicitly said their problem with the design is its use for distance giving the perk too much power, and that it’s not something they want the perk to do.

    Well I hope it's what they'll do then, certainly is the most unfair thing.

  • @dictep said:

    If devs want to remove the distance part of the perk I can help them.. remove the perk. Everybody will use sb instead

    So use SB then, takes far more skill and setup like I briefly explained in my post. DH is easy to do at pretty much any loop and just corrects your mistakes.

    SB dont do that unless you 99 it but even that is harder, requires more effort and stops your efficiency

  • @Brimp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765296#Comment_2765296

    Honestly wouldnt mind that instead. Survivors would actually have to do some setup to use it mid chase.

    Ayyy, just replied that myself

  • Lower the length by 2-5 ft or remove the option to vault and drop pallets for one and instead of Iframes make the person lose collision with the killer but able to be hit

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    Lower the length by 2-5 ft or remove the option to vault and drop pallets for one and instead of Iframes make the person lose collision with the killer but able to be hit

    That might work. If you were prevented from vaulting or dropping a pallet for 5 seconds after using DH (similar to Doctor's shock) it would fix a lot of the problems with it.

  • @Exxodus21 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765433#Comment_2765433

    That might work. If you were prevented from vaulting or dropping a pallet for 5 seconds after using DH (similar to Doctor's shock) it would fix a lot of the problems with it.

    It would be a really nice change.

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    Lower the length by 2-5 ft or remove the option to vault and drop pallets for one and instead of Iframes make the person lose collision with the killer but able to be hit

    Like the idea of reduced distance and stop the ability to do an action for abit but I'm not sure about the 0 collision, never a fan of that in games

  • @MandyTalk just realized this is in general discussions, probably best it was moved to feedback if you're ever free to do so

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765433#Comment_2765433

    Like the idea of reduced distance and stop the ability to do an action for abit but I'm not sure about the 0 collision, never a fan of that in games

    The 0 collision while still being able to be hit lart is to get rid of the hit detection while offering up a middle ground for it to have the ability to juke killers but having a much fairer risk vs reward that what is there now.

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2766200#Comment_2766200

    The 0 collision while still being able to be hit lart is to get rid of the hit detection while offering up a middle ground for it to have the ability to juke killers but having a much fairer risk vs reward that what is there now.

    I get what you mean, personally I just want the distance nerfed so it cant be used that way.

    I feel if you add all the things you suggested it would be over kill? Great ideas but all together would be quite impactful

  • dead hard is fine, only perk able to coutner ranged killers for one time, and nurse, blight curvings and some other bull** this game offers.

  • @SuzuKR said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765253#Comment_2765253

    Dodging an attack can be baited out and countered fine. Using it for distance is uncounterable to the absolute majority of killers. That is not healthy design. Thankfully, the devs have also realized this and are targeting the usability for distance in the perk.

    u cant react to killers launge if u have them blowing your neck, impossible to react only to extended attacks you can do potentially something, and still most times you need to read the killer if u want to react, 8/10 times if u want to react you will die, the only reason this perk is popular, somwhat decent is because you can make distance and potentially counter some killer powers like huntress, and some others like nurse.

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2767015#Comment_2767015

    I get what you mean, personally I just want the distance nerfed so it cant be used that way.

    I feel if you add all the things you suggested it would be over kill? Great ideas but all together would be quite impactful

    To be honest no it wouldn't be overkill cause right now in its current state it rewards people abusing it much like most survivor meta perks are being used as safety nets rather than utilities to change up game stratagies.

    Perks as a mechanic should be used to mix up the games, right now everyone who plays killer has to think they are using the meta partly cause it shows up all the time and partly because right now it's actually the worst offender of perks rewarding bad play (yes even more so than noed survivors). Personally I am just trying to make sure it is still viable while removing the things that make people overly reliant on it.

  • @hiken said:

    dead hard is fine, only perk able to coutner ranged killers for one time, and nurse, blight curvings and some other bull** this game offers.

    @hiken said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765256#Comment_2765256

    u cant react to killers launge if u have them blowing your neck, impossible to react only to extended attacks you can do potentially something, and still most times you need to read the killer if u want to react, 8/10 times if u want to react you will die, the only reason this perk is popular, somwhat decent is because you can make distance and potentially counter some killer powers like huntress, and some others like nurse.

    The point is the distance it gives allows you to make things you normally wouldn't or correct mistakes, if explained it all in the OP.

    But if DH is used just to avoid ranged attacks like you said then the change I suggested will not impact you in the slightest and this change is perfect, I'm glad you agree with it!

  • @hiken said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2765256#Comment_2765256

    u cant react to killers launge if u have them blowing your neck, impossible to react only to extended attacks you can do potentially something, and still most times you need to read the killer if u want to react, 8/10 times if u want to react you will die, the only reason this perk is popular, somwhat decent is because you can make distance and potentially counter some killer powers like huntress, and some others like nurse.

    Wow it's almost like you aren't supposed to have a guaranteed dodge.

  • @CyberDragoon656 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2767079#Comment_2767079

    To be honest no it wouldn't be overkill cause right now in its current state it rewards people abusing it much like most survivor meta perks are being used as safety nets rather than utilities to change up game stratagies.

    Perks as a mechanic should be used to mix up the games, right now everyone who plays killer has to think they are using the meta partly cause it shows up all the time and partly because right now it's actually the worst offender of perks rewarding bad play (yes even more so than noed survivors). Personally I am just trying to make sure it is still viable while removing the things that make people overly reliant on it.

    Well that's why I want the distance nerfed as I feel that's the most impactful.

    I dont want any perk to be weak and pointless, I want loads of perks buffed just atm DH has wayyyyy too much freedom

  • @dictep said:

    If devs want to remove the distance part of the perk I can help them.. remove the perk. Everybody will use sb instead

    Not really SB is one of the worst of the exhaust perks in my opinion. You have to walk everywhere and it's easy to use it by accident.

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2767093#Comment_2767093

    Well that's why I want the distance nerfed as I feel that's the most impactful.

    I dont want any perk to be weak and pointless, I want loads of perks buffed just atm DH has wayyyyy too much freedom

    And it wouldn't with what I suggested I was just making a setup where it can be used more for utility rather than a safety net