How much skill does current Spirit take?

You can’t say she takes no skill anymore because survivors now have something to react to and you can’t stand still to get free hits anymore. I would say that she is in the top 10-15 skill requiring killers in the game right now. There’s unique mind games with her that require you to execute the mind game while losing sights of survivors. With old Spirit, sometimes you didn’t really need to see them as they had no idea where you were so it wasn’t exactly a mindful mind game with that.

What are your thoughts? I definitely think the fact that Spirit is as rare as a unicorn now proves she takes way more skill than before.

(Yes I know this is like my 57396205th thread on Spirit but I just love talking with people about her.)

Comments

  • @Shroompy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2650926#Comment_2650926

    "We all know this"

    "You can reliably do it all the time"

    As a survivor you cant avoid something that is not only moving at double your speed, but can do so repeatedly in less than 10 seconds.

    If you could then why are there Survivors with thousands of hours sharing their experience and saying the same thing? You cant rely on reads alone.

    On Feedback...

    of course Im gonna see it from the Survivor perspective, because to them all they see is a Spirit standing still! Nowadays they can hear the phasing, and provides feedback for the survivor. But at the end of the day shes still a killer moving at almost double your speed, and you cant avoid that forever.

    Also Im not saying Spirit requires very little skill, she requires a lot more than people give her credit for, but its still only a fraction of the time needed to learn Nurse, yet you still get basically the same result as Nurse

    "As a survivor you cant avoid something that is not only moving at double your speed, but can do so repeatedly in less than 10 seconds."

    10 seconds is an extremely long time in DBD. That is plenty of time to make a play.

    "If you could then why are there Survivors with thousands of hours sharing their experience and saying the same thing? You cant rely on reads alone."

    Not all of them are saying that. Many of those also only play survivor.

    "of course Im gonna see it from the Survivor perspective, because to them all they see is a Spirit standing still! Nowadays they can hear the phasing, and provides feedback for the survivor."

    When I say see, I'm not literally meaning see with their eyes. I mean see as in understanding the feedback each player is getting in the interaction and yes I said feedback, there is feedback each player is getting, the survivor is just initiating the loop instead of Spirit.

    "But at the end of the day shes still a killer moving at almost double your speed, and you cant avoid that forever."

    You should never be able to avoid any killer forever, period. That's a superfluous statement. If you even last greater than 30 seconds you have won that chase. Chases over 30 seconds are losing the killer the game. She may be double the but you've also got a loop for them to go around, that makes up enough time for a pallet throw, window jump, or walk away juke.

    "Also Im not saying Spirit requires very little skill, she requires a lot more than people give her credit for, but its still only a fraction of the time needed to learn Nurse, yet you still get basically the same result as Nurse"

    You get much less results with Spirit than you do with Nurse and while Nurse does require more skill it isn't by a lot.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2650948#Comment_2650948

    "As a survivor you cant avoid something that is not only moving at double your speed, but can do so repeatedly in less than 10 seconds."

    10 seconds is an extremely long time in DBD. That is plenty of time to make a play.

    "If you could then why are there Survivors with thousands of hours sharing their experience and saying the same thing? You cant rely on reads alone."

    Not all of them are saying that. Many of those also only play survivor.

    "of course Im gonna see it from the Survivor perspective, because to them all they see is a Spirit standing still! Nowadays they can hear the phasing, and provides feedback for the survivor."

    When I say see, I'm not literally meaning see with their eyes. I mean see as in understanding the feedback each player is getting in the interaction and yes I said feedback, there is feedback each player is getting, the survivor is just initiating the loop instead of Spirit.

    "But at the end of the day shes still a killer moving at almost double your speed, and you cant avoid that forever."

    You should never be able to avoid any killer forever, period. That's a superfluous statement. If you even last greater than 30 seconds you have won that chase. Chases over 30 seconds are losing the killer the game. She may be double the but you've also got a loop for them to go around, that makes up enough time for a pallet throw, window jump, or walk away juke.

    "Also Im not saying Spirit requires very little skill, she requires a lot more than people give her credit for, but its still only a fraction of the time needed to learn Nurse, yet you still get basically the same result as Nurse"

    You get much less results with Spirit than you do with Nurse and while Nurse does require more skill it isn't by a lot.

    Jeez blueberry... are you my thoughts on spirit speaking? You think exactly like me when it comes to spirit, this is unsettling to me LMAO

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2649939#Comment_2649939

    Then why did people like Zubat and Ussylis hate going against her even though they’re very skilled survivors?

    I agree saying Spirit took no skill before was a huge reach but you need to look at the survivor POV a bit as well.

    Because they refused to learn.

    And pretty sure neither could tell by the husk if she was phasing. Good survivors could spot it and utilize it.

  • The same as always, the only difference is survivors know exactly where she is now so can just zone out at pallets.

  • she can be genrushed very ez because her addons for map control were nerfed.

  • @ProudRinMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2650965#Comment_2650965

    Jeez blueberry... are you my thoughts on spirit speaking? You think exactly like me when it comes to spirit, this is unsettling to me LMAO

    I'm typically in the minority with my opinion on Spirit lol. The average person just doesn't understand Spirit at all.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2651514#Comment_2651514

    I'm typically in the minority with my opinion on Spirit lol. The average person just doesn't understand Spirit at all.

    I do understand a lot about Spirit. I literally main her lol.

  • @sadakiyo said:

    she can be genrushed very ez because her addons for map control were nerfed.

    She doesn’t even need them. What’s her base movement speed in phase again? 176%?

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2651520#Comment_2651520

    She doesn’t even need them. What’s her base movement speed in phase again? 176%?

    she wastes her power and becomes hag without traps if she has no addons for map control.

  • @sadakiyo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2651865#Comment_2651865

    she wastes her power and becomes hag without traps if she has no addons for map control.

    She still has recovery add ons and also two add ons that replenish her power when breaking or getting stunned by a pallet.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2651998#Comment_2651998

    She still has recovery add ons and also two add ons that replenish her power when breaking or getting stunned by a pallet.

    recovery addons don't give her enough duration or speed. addons of repeleshing power are for bad spirits who suck at chases. she needs that old duration and speed for map control.

  • @sadakiyo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2652001#Comment_2652001

    recovery addons don't give her enough duration or speed. addons of repeleshing power are for bad spirits who suck at chases. she needs that old duration and speed for map control.

    The only speed add on they got rid of was Dirty Uwabaki. Mother Daughter Ring is still in the game. I know it’s ultra rare but Zōri and Muddy Sports Day Cap still get the job done as speed add ons.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2652024#Comment_2652024

    The only speed add on they got rid of was Dirty Uwabaki. Mother Daughter Ring is still in the game. I know it’s ultra rare but Zōri and Muddy Sports Day Cap still get the job done as speed add ons.

    mother daughter ring doesn't show scratch marks and there were good green addons for speed and duration. zori gives only +5% and muddy sports cap gives +10% and those addons are nothing compared to old ones. they are effective against chases, but doesn't give good map control.

  • @Shroompy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2650630#Comment_2650630

    A good Survivor would be able to dodge Deathslinger at range before anyway, his viability at range has barely changed.

    Also "Low tier play" is Im sure all you and 99% of this forum is playing in, including myself.

    Yall aint going against tourney squads, youre going against people who simply play with their friends at best, and in that setting any killer is viable.

    Maybe at your level. I can tell If i am playing against weak survivors, average survivors or strong survivors. with your logic, every killer barely changes.

    your statement is reference to what used to be the case before MMR where you were just facing random mixes of skill-level where there were 2 weak links and maybe 1-2 strong players where it was easy to snowball off weak links and than just win 2vs1 as killer. any killer is viable vs weak survivors but when you get to high enough level as killer, you stop facing weak survivors and you need get to used facing stronger players where your killer has to actually able to perform and outplay better players. changes such as those spirit changes and slingers impair that and negatively affect higher players without doing too much on low-levels because killers don't really need good abilities vs survivors that can't loop and take 10+ minutes to do 5 gens.

  • I think she needs much more skill and is very add on dependant against good survivors or on large maps.

    Since the nerf you cant end chases that fast, not because stand still mindgame is gone but basically most mindgames at loops are gone since you can only rely on your phase speed.

    And if you as survivor are not sure how to loop her, just pre drop and run away, that playstyle kills her now.

    Her problem is that she is slow 110% killer so on big maps you need to use power not just in chases but also in map traverse and you are on cooldown all the time. So if you mess up phase hit in chase, the punishment of time lose is big.

    Therefore she needs add ons more than before. And we are talking about current Spirit, they may even add those visual cues to her phase positioning next update for all we know

  • Spirit skill ? LMAOOO plug stereo headset … this is the skill cap for spirit

  • Spirit counterplay ? Chance … idk dude … be lucky.

    no, seriously .,, spirit now have an directional sound so … hear her power sound

  • @NAERUUU said:

    Spirit skill ? LMAOOO plug stereo headset … this is the skill cap for spirit

    She won’t require skill until she’s gutted. Play her for yourself against a good team and you’ll see.

  • @NAERUUU said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2650229#Comment_2650229

    Spirit counterplay ? Chance … idk dude … be lucky.

    no, seriously .,, spirit now have an directional sound so … hear her power sound

    The discussion between me and Blueberry was mainly about old Spirit

  • It takes way more skills from the survivors to outplay a Spirit than it to does to play Spirit. All it takes is one mistake from only one of the survivors and the Spirit can win regardless of how many mistakes she makes. She is still much faster than the survivor while phased so the directional sound doesn't change much.

  • @Devil_hit11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2650764#Comment_2650764

    Maybe at your level. I can tell If i am playing against weak survivors, average survivors or strong survivors. with your logic, every killer barely changes.

    your statement is reference to what used to be the case before MMR where you were just facing random mixes of skill-level where there were 2 weak links and maybe 1-2 strong players where it was easy to snowball off weak links and than just win 2vs1 as killer. any killer is viable vs weak survivors but when you get to high enough level as killer, you stop facing weak survivors and you need get to used facing stronger players where your killer has to actually able to perform and outplay better players. changes such as those spirit changes and slingers impair that and negatively affect higher players without doing too much on low-levels because killers don't really need good abilities vs survivors that can't loop and take 10+ minutes to do 5 gens.

    "Maybe at your level" MMR is deadass a joke, since its based on mainly on escapes and kills its basically made like the old system, potato survivors eventually climb the higher ranks and so do killers who have no business being up there, because its no challenge climbing up.

    At first it seemed to be working, how ever thats how the old ranks worked as well. Majority of the time if you saw some one who was Rank 1 just a few hours after reset there's a good chance they're an actual good player. Give it a week and Red ranks was filled with potatoes, not their fault they can only move up and its not like they need to try that hard to do it.

    At first MMR was hard, I some times face really good teams (Hell I ran into Oracle and Agony at one point), but most of the time you still face very average players. I can still 4k pretty consistently without gen regression and have been doing so way before MMR was introduced

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2653119#Comment_2653119

    She won’t require skill until she’s gutted. Play her for yourself against a good team and you’ll see.

    I was a spirit main before and after the main … and I know … spirit is op and don’t require any skill

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2653119#Comment_2653119

    She won’t require skill until she’s gutted. Play her for yourself against a good team and you’ll see.

    Red rank spirit dude …. I know

  • @Sluzzy said:

    It takes way more skills from the survivors to outplay a Spirit than it to does to play Spirit. All it takes is one mistake from only one of the survivors and the Spirit can win regardless of how many mistakes she makes. She is still much faster than the survivor while phased so the directional sound doesn't change much.

    This is honestly the first time I’ve seen you complain about Spirit Sluzzy.

  • @NAERUUU said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2653775#Comment_2653775

    I was a spirit main before and after the main … and I know … spirit is op and don’t require any skill

    She just got nerfed my guy. How can you still say she’s OP?

  • I still get free stand still mindgame hits so i guess not a lot?

    I was under the assumption that it was really obvious now if she phased. I haven't seen her since her nerf

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    I still get free stand still mindgame hits so i guess not a lot?

    I was under the assumption that it was really obvious now if she phased. I haven't seen her since her nerf

    You must've played against really bad survivors then. No one should get downed like that again against her.

  • Where are my fellow 2018 OG Spirit Enjoyers at?

    There must be one or two on this thread...

  • I have played a lot of Spirit and definitely feel like the whole "sPiRiT tAkEs No SkIlL" thing is way overblown. I have rarely felt like I had some huge advantage over survivors (though I can only hear out of one ear, so the tracking by directional sound thing doesn't work for me), and definitely felt more OP/oppressive when using other killers (PH, mot notably).

    This is only more the case since her re-work. At this point DCing or crying about the Spirit just feels like flimsy, ready made excuse.

    Of course, I also feel like any complaining about how OP any killer is in the current paradigm rings really, really hollow.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    It takes way more skills from the survivors to outplay a Spirit than it to does to play Spirit. All it takes is one mistake from only one of the survivors and the Spirit can win regardless of how many mistakes she makes. She is still much faster than the survivor while phased so the directional sound doesn't change much.

    Sounds like you need to get better at winning chases. If the Spirit nerf wasn’t enough, than that’s probably a you problem IMO.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2653934#Comment_2653934

    She just got nerfed my guy. How can you still say she’s OP?

    oh, I mean, new addons are really good and sound op for someone … not her new reworked power

  • @GannTM said:

    You can’t say she takes no skill anymore because survivors now have something to react to and you can’t stand still to get free hits anymore. I would say that she is in the top 10-15 skill requiring killers in the game right now. There’s unique mind games with her that require you to execute the mind game while losing sights of survivors. With old Spirit, sometimes you didn’t really need to see them as they had no idea where you were so it wasn’t exactly a mindful mind game with that.

    What are your thoughts? I definitely think the fact that Spirit is as rare as a unicorn now proves she takes way more skill than before.

    (Yes I know this is like my 57396205th thread on Spirit but I just love talking with people about her.)

    I disagree you still get free hits when using speed add ons (iridescent ring) with double speed add ons making it even more brainless.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2653934#Comment_2653934

    She just got nerfed my guy. How can you still say she’s OP?

    Her speed add ons often remove the need for mindgames. I think the lack of time needed to get good with spirit as there isn’t a long learning curve to get good with her other than slap some strong movement add ons and you can pretty much down most 2-5k hours survivors in a timely manner without much experience. Atleast that was my experience when i mained her mind you i had sound equalizer+ audiophile headphones making it 10x easier vs those pesky swf teams.

  • I mained spirit for a while before the change and played a few rounds after. Didn't see much of a difference but I did not rely on stand still mindgames even before so maybe that's why?

  • @Shroompy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2653002#Comment_2653002

    "Maybe at your level" MMR is deadass a joke, since its based on mainly on escapes and kills its basically made like the old system, potato survivors eventually climb the higher ranks and so do killers who have no business being up there, because its no challenge climbing up.

    At first it seemed to be working, how ever thats how the old ranks worked as well. Majority of the time if you saw some one who was Rank 1 just a few hours after reset there's a good chance they're an actual good player. Give it a week and Red ranks was filled with potatoes, not their fault they can only move up and its not like they need to try that hard to do it.

    At first MMR was hard, I some times face really good teams (Hell I ran into Oracle and Agony at one point), but most of the time you still face very average players. I can still 4k pretty consistently without gen regression and have been doing so way before MMR was introduced

    "MMR is deadass a joke, since its based on mainly on escapes and kills its basically made like the old system, potato survivors eventually climb the higher ranks and so do killers who have no business being up there, because its no challenge climbing up."

    bad survivors stay bad and consistently lose. Unless I play bad with my killer and lose thus decreasing my MMR, I rarely go against weak survivors now.

    "I can still 4k pretty consistently without gen regression and have been doing so way before MMR was introduced"

    definitely not my experience. if anything, I just keep seeing threads of "Killer is unplayable" and so on. Its not true. killer is playable. its just difficult to play because all killers keep getting nerfed. your statement is in minority.

  • @Devil_hit11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2653912#Comment_2653912

    "MMR is deadass a joke, since its based on mainly on escapes and kills its basically made like the old system, potato survivors eventually climb the higher ranks and so do killers who have no business being up there, because its no challenge climbing up."

    bad survivors stay bad and consistently lose. Unless I play bad with my killer and lose thus decreasing my MMR, I rarely go against weak survivors now.

    "I can still 4k pretty consistently without gen regression and have been doing so way before MMR was introduced"

    definitely not my experience. if anything, I just keep seeing threads of "Killer is unplayable" and so on. Its not true. killer is playable. its just difficult to play because all killers keep getting nerfed. your statement is in minority.

    the game and mmr is balanced for you to get a 2k. So all survivors you face should be a challenge

    Also save me the "killers keep getting nerfed", is this really what the newer generation of players believe? Last patch, DS and Spirit got nerfs simply to make them more enjoyable to face, their viability barely changed, maybe moving them down 1 spot in a tier list. But we got Plague Buffs, long awaited Trapper buffs and the ever so long awaited hatch and key nerf.

    Go back in DbD's history and tell me killers were more powerful back then, youll come to realize theyre the strongest theyve ever been and this community just whines because its the easiest thing to do

1 2 ›