It isn’t even a normal/well known English word for native speakers?
i googled it and from what I have found it’s supposed to be my-ther. Also called it that because of Samination I think? Definitely heard it somewhere like that.
I watched an episode of "The Royle Family" from a couple of decades back which is set in the region the word comes from. Denise Royle pronounced it Myther.
Seeing that this does not support my argument, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.
It isn’t even a normal/well known English word for native speakers?
i googled it and from what I have found it’s supposed to be my-ther. Also called it that because of Samination I think? Definitely heard it somewhere like that.
I agree with @Purgatorian that different countries or dialects will have their own pronunciation, much like the American English vs British English "herb" difference. On that note, I cannot bring myself to utter it as "my-ther." 😆
I agree with @Purgatorian that different countries or dialects will have their own pronunciation, much like the American English vs British English "herb" difference. On that note, I cannot bring myself to utter it as "my-ther." 😆
and just like that I learned that Americans pronounce herb with a silent h!? That’s mildly irritating.
Psssst we're refined and classy like the French 😉 lol
I did not give permission for that and do not accept it. Please tell your whole country to stop this and keep your silent H‘s for when you are mocking the French.
I did not give permission for that and do not accept it. Please tell your whole country to stop this and keep your silent H‘s for when you are mocking the French.
Thank you very much.
I cannot abide by that request unless you agree to tell your whole country to remove the absurd "i" you added to the word "aluminum."
However, rather than continue down a divided path, perhaps we should unite under the banner of mocking the French, especially le Français canadien, like BHVR.
I watched an episode of "The Royle Family" from a couple of decades back which is set in the region the word comes from. Denise Royle pronounced it Myther.
Seeing that this does not support my argument, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.
I thought you were my reinforcements in this matter, and then you hit me with this Trojan horse . . .
both ways are correct because. No My-ther is the way they say it in the u.k where david is from and No Mi-ther is how it's pronounced in american so both are correct
I cannot abide by that request unless you agree to tell your whole country to remove the absurd "i" you added to the word "aluminum."
However, rather than continue down a divided path, perhaps we should unite under the banner of mocking the French, especially le Français canadien, like BHVR.
What say you?
Aluminium… without a second i?!
you are making this really hard for me 😥
but I guess your proposal is actually very much reasonable nonetheless. So I will find a way to live with it.
I cannot abide by that request unless you agree to tell your whole country to remove the absurd "i" you added to the word "aluminum."
However, rather than continue down a divided path, perhaps we should unite under the banner of mocking the French, especially le Français canadien, like BHVR.
What say you?
Do... do people not understand that not everything outside USA is not one single country?
I cannot abide by that request unless you agree to tell your whole country to remove the absurd "i" you added to the word "aluminum."
However, rather than continue down a divided path, perhaps we should unite under the banner of mocking the French, especially le Français canadien, like BHVR.
What say you?
in my defense, in spanish aluminium is spelled "aluminio", so it kind of made sense.
English is not my first language and I can't even say I know English, so I'm probably wrong, but I feel like it pronounced like this.
Makes sense! Even with native speakers there's a debate.
Take this video for instance. It just popped up while I was scrolling through Youtube a few days ago. I knew English could be tricky, but seeing "ough" having so many different pronunciations surprised me. I knew those words, and since I knew how to pronounce them it never occurred to me as odd that they don't rhyme at all.
I used to pronounce it like "Whither". Something similar happened to me with Kindred, until I started watching streams and DbD videos a couple of years ago, and realized how it's actually pronounced, or at least how most people pronounce it... then I changed my pronunciation for both of them (not a native english speaker btw).
If you’re from America you pronounce it No Mither, but if you’re from The United Kingdom you pronounce it No Myther.
I agree that the UK pronounce it like "myther." But the people I know (American) also pronounce it as "myther." However, some of us pronounce it like whiter/hither, so it's a mixed bag. And Canadians, well, I don't know.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
It isn’t even a normal/well known English word for native speakers?
i googled it and from what I have found it’s supposed to be my-ther. Also called it that because of Samination I think? Definitely heard it somewhere like that.
Mither
Thx for the info.
i guess it being regional makes sense :)
Oh man this will be a good debate.
I grew up in South Yorkshire in UK in the 80s, this word was used a lot and was always pronounced myther. That's why I say it like that.
I suppose different countries or dialects could change the way it is said to mither but I shall stick with what I know.
I watched an episode of "The Royle Family" from a couple of decades back which is set in the region the word comes from. Denise Royle pronounced it Myther.
Seeing that this does not support my argument, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.
Google also has pronunciations showing it rhymes with "whither." Here's one: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mither
I agree with @Purgatorian that different countries or dialects will have their own pronunciation, much like the American English vs British English "herb" difference. On that note, I cannot bring myself to utter it as "my-ther." 😆
Save me some popcorn.
and just like that I learned that Americans pronounce herb with a silent h!? That’s mildly irritating.
I pronounce it both interchangibly
Psssst we're refined and classy like the French 😉 lol
Where are you from?
I did not give permission for that and do not accept it. Please tell your whole country to stop this and keep your silent H‘s for when you are mocking the French.
Thank you very much.
I cannot abide by that request unless you agree to tell your whole country to remove the absurd "i" you added to the word "aluminum."
However, rather than continue down a divided path, perhaps we should unite under the banner of mocking the French, especially le Français canadien, like BHVR.
What say you?
I thought you were my reinforcements in this matter, and then you hit me with this Trojan horse . . .
funny thing it's actually said both ways
both ways are correct because. No My-ther is the way they say it in the u.k where david is from and No Mi-ther is how it's pronounced in american so both are correct
Aluminium… without a second i?!
you are making this really hard for me 😥
but I guess your proposal is actually very much reasonable nonetheless. So I will find a way to live with it.
And so we have a deal. Let the alliance never be broken.
No Mother
I know it's supposed to be the other way but... I can't help it.
Wait, it's pronounced "my-ther"? What the hell... next you're gonna tell me Rancor isn't pronounced "ran-core".
It's pronounced as both, but I am team mither/whither/hither!
And didn't you hear? Rancor is actually pronounced Rahn-core. BHVR wanted to be fancy.
By Talos this can't be happening
I think it is supposed to be pronounced like whither, but because I had started pronouncing it as my-ther, I can't stop pronouncing my-ther
English is not my first language and I can't even say I know English, so I'm probably wrong, but I feel like it pronounced like this.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/mither - the pronunciation is here, it's "my the"
Do... do people not understand that not everything outside USA is not one single country?
in my defense, in spanish aluminium is spelled "aluminio", so it kind of made sense.
ill stick to aluminium
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mither and here it is like whither
Gotta love the English language and it's many dialects! 😆
Makes sense! Even with native speakers there's a debate.
Take this video for instance. It just popped up while I was scrolling through Youtube a few days ago. I knew English could be tricky, but seeing "ough" having so many different pronunciations surprised me. I knew those words, and since I knew how to pronounce them it never occurred to me as odd that they don't rhyme at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZV40f0cXF4
I used to pronounce it like "Whither". Something similar happened to me with Kindred, until I started watching streams and DbD videos a couple of years ago, and realized how it's actually pronounced, or at least how most people pronounce it... then I changed my pronunciation for both of them (not a native english speaker btw).
I'm not even sure. I just say it how i want
If you’re from America you pronounce it No Mither, but if you’re from The United Kingdom you pronounce it No Myther.
I agree that the UK pronounce it like "myther." But the people I know (American) also pronounce it as "myther." However, some of us pronounce it like whiter/hither, so it's a mixed bag. And Canadians, well, I don't know.
Tomatoe TomAToE