You can't please everyone, devs

I'm wondering why devs try to please players. They can't please everyone. I wish they stop changing killer's perks and survivor's perks or many things because some players are complaining about them. I wanted to play a game with devs rules, not players rules. Don't forgot that it's their game so we should play the game how it is, not trying to change it for survivor mains or killer mains. Anyway, devs won't stop listening their players and I know it. I just said my opinion. Too sad that it happens.

Comments

  • ...you must be really new here if you genuinely think the devs try to please everyone.

    They know what they're doing, for the most part. They balance things that statistically need balancing, not off the word of new players who don't know how to play against something properly.

  • Implying anyone is pleased RN lol. I doubt old gen Console players are very enthused to play on either side.

  • @Superyoshiegg said:

    ...you must be really new here if you genuinely think the devs try to please everyone.

    They know what they're doing, for the most part. They balance things that statistically need balancing, not off the word of new players who don't know how to play against something properly.

    I'm not a new player as you assume. It's obviously that they change things because players are complaining about them though. It's a fact. I know they won't stop, but I hope they will. That's all I had to say about it.

  • @Superyoshiegg said:

    ...you must be really new here if you genuinely think the devs try to please everyone.

    They know what they're doing, for the most part. They balance things that statistically need balancing, not off the word of new players who don't know how to play against something properly.

    I'm not a new player as you assume. It's obviously that they change things in game because a lot of people are complaining. That's all I had to say.

  • Yeah that’s why they didn’t fix poor optimization on last gen consoles after 3 years…

  • @Sakurra said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2463683#Comment_2463683

    I'm not a new player as you assume. It's obviously that they change things in game because a lot of people are complaining. That's all I had to say.

     It's obviously that they change things in game because a lot of people are complaining.

    As @TheGannMan said, this isn't always the case.

  • @Sakurra said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2463683#Comment_2463683

    I'm not a new player as you assume. It's obviously that they change things in game because a lot of people are complaining. That's all I had to say.

    Then why has NOED remained unchanged for years, despite being complained about on a daily basis? Sort of goes against your theory that they only change things because people complain.

  • @MrCalac123 said:

    Implying anyone is pleased RN lol. I doubt old gen Console players are very enthused to play on either side.

    I am. I love playing killer.

  • It's more a mix of attempting to balance the game as well as judging what people are finding problematic. It's not as simple as hearing players want a perk changed and doing it without thinking.

    Some changes, like Hillbilly's cooldown, were made with absolutely nobody putting in any request to do so. Likewise, huge threads about changing certain perks have resulted in no action. So there's definitely evidence to confirm alterations are based on more than just pleasing people.

  • @Marc_go_solo said:

    It's more a mix of attempting to balance the game as well as judging what people are finding problematic. It's not as simple as hearing players want a perk changed and doing it without thinking.

    Some changes, like Hillbilly's cooldown, were made with absolutely nobody putting in any request to do so. Likewise, huge threads about changing certain perks have resulted in no action. So there's definitely evidence to confirm alterations are based on more than just pleasing people.

    Which is great, coming from Overwatch, I have such insane ptsd for devs who cater to everyone willing to shed a single tear. I am really happy with the balance team we have here by comparison. So much love.

  • Bold of you to assume that BHVR pleases anyone.

  • I don't see them actively working for the anyone in the forums. Sprit nerfs? I don't see them. Killer is too stressful? "Go play civilisation"

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I don't see them actively working for the anyone in the forums. Sprit nerfs? I don't see them. Killer is too stressful? "Go play civilisation"

    Noticed how all the "nerf spirit" threads dissapeared? So they kinda solved that. Unintentionally, but they solved it.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I don't see them actively working for the anyone in the forums. Sprit nerfs? I don't see them. Killer is too stressful? "Go play civilisation"

    If you're not enjoying a game, not playing it is actually good advice. It's better for your mental health and overall well-being not to force yourself to engage in activities that should be relaxing, but that you're not enjoying.

  • So, first off, the players are the ones playing this, so it should absolutely be tailored to them, and if you don't agree with that, don't get into game development. It's a product, it needs to sell, and they aren't the buyers. We are. Besides that...

    Since this is the only game of its kind, it's not hard for the devs to keep a playerbase. So, they just keep pumping out stuff for us to buy instead of creating a high-quality game, and do just enough "fixes" to keep us playing

    You'll learn eventually that the devs think they know best despite a lot of the community having far far more experience than them and many of us having a better pulse on what people want. They don't really care to balance anything unless it endangers their profits or they just happen to feel like it, and even those "fixes" are lazy and only aimed at pleasing a higher amount than they screw over.

    1. Take the recent pallet validation fix. Survivors are fine now, but killers get hit rejected pretty frequently now regardless of their ping. Still, only 1 player getting screwed instead of 4.

    2. Take Freddy. Survivors hated him, so the devs made him this boring and uninspired killer that nobody wants to play anymore. Bonus, they might move onto a paid killer. They tried to do the same with Twins as well, but they're strong enough you can live with the clunkiness.

    3. Maps are ridiculously varied and there are so many insanely busted maps, but they don't put the effort into balancing them unless it bothers a huge portion. Typically it doesn't, since many are survivor sided and that pleases 4/5 players in a match.

    4. Current-gen consoles are still busted but I guess BHVR doesn't care now that the next-gens are out.

    5. Look at how bad the game gets with every chapter. They're rushed, unfinished, and yet the devs have no intentions of slowing down to ensure quality. I wonder why?

    6. The biggest one...Over half the perks and perhaps even the killers in the game are useless compared to the best ones. Not hard to tell that they don't care much about their current content

    Although, who knows. Maybe I'm wrong, and the devs are just amazingly ignorant as to what the community wants or what a good fix is for all players. Maybe they DONT care what the players want. This is just my 2 cents. They don't have to care much until they have actual competition.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2464143#Comment_2464143

    If you're not enjoying a game, not playing it is actually good advice. It's better for your mental health and overall well-being not to force yourself to engage in activities that should be relaxing, but that you're not enjoying.

    I agree but it's such a frequent complaint that i think they should consider it when designing new survivors perks/maps/killers etc.

  • @Tekno_Badger said:

    You'll learn eventually that the devs think they know best despite a lot of the community having far far more experience than them and a better pulse on what people want. They also don't care to balance anything unless it endangers their profits, and even those "fixes" are lazy and only aimed at pleasing a higher amount than they screw over.

    1. Take the recent pallet validation fix. Survivors are fine now, but killers get hit rejected pretty frequently now regardless of their ping. Still, only 1 player getting screwed instead of 4.

    2. Take Freddy. Survivors hated him, so the devs made him this boring and uninspired killer that nobody wants to play anymore. Bonus, they might move onto a paid killer. They tried to do the same with Twins as well, but they're strong enough you can live with the clunkiness.

    3. Maps are ridiculously varied and there are so many insanely busted maps, but they don't put the effort into balancing them unless it bothers a huge portion. Typically it doesn't, since many are survivor sided and that pleases 4/5 players in a match.

    4. Current-gen consoles are still busted but I guess BHVR doesn't care now that the next-gens are out.

    5. The biggest one...Over half the perks and perhaps even the killers in the game are useless compared to the best ones.

    You'll learn eventually that the devs think they know best despite a lot of the community having far far more experience than them and many of us having a better pulse on what people want.

    No, we have an idea of what a tiny, loud minority of players want. Streamers, etc., have an idea of what their viewers (also a tiny minority of players) want (and, what a surprise, it's usually what the streamers, etc., themselves want, almost like people like to watch people with similar views).

    The devs have access to the actual, real data regarding effectiveness of things, so when someone says something like "PGTW is too strong", but the data (hypothetically) shows killers who use it have a lower winrate across all ranks than killers who don't, the devs are going to trust the actual data, as they should.

    As for experience, you really underestimate the tens of thousands of hours that QA puts into the game. I can assure you no DbD player has more playtime than they do.

    Now cue people complaining about QA, saying my hypothetical scenario is unrealistic, and completely missing the point.

    @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2464150#Comment_2464150

    I agree but it's such a frequent complaint that i think they should consider it when designing new survivors perks/maps/killers etc.

    Trickster is fun as hell to play, and he was recently buffed. As for the overall stress of playing killer, that's because of the matchmaking, which they're also fixing with MMR. If you're a casual player who actually plays casually, you'll face people of similar skill level. If you always play competitively, though, don't complain that your games become too stressful at a certain point - that's just the matchmaker doing its job.

  • 1. The idea that someone cannot understand a wide variety of opinions or at least acknowledge them is short-sighted. Besides that, at least we PLAY the game. And the veterans of this game tend to know a whole lot more about its gameplay than any of the devs. Also, the data isn't paying them, we are.

    2. QA tests the game, which is very very different than playing. And let's not act like QA means jack ######### to BHVR when most of the perks go unused, many killers are far weaker than the best ones, map balance varies wildly as does the RNG, and most of all, every chapter is rushed out unfinished, buggy, and unbalanced. Lately we've had chapters break hit servers (twice), and the entirety of current-gen consoles.

    3. Trickster is a horror on console, and he's not at all fun to play against. Their data cant and never will tell them that he needs map pressure instead of more chase power, nor that players hate how oppressive and boring he is to go against in chase at times. The community could've, and did.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I don't see them actively working for the anyone in the forums. Sprit nerfs? I don't see them. Killer is too stressful? "Go play civilisation"

    I know a lot of people didn't like it when he said it but he's completely right lol

  • @xenotimebong said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2463698#Comment_2463698

    Then why has NOED remained unchanged for years, despite being complained about on a daily basis? Sort of goes against your theory that they only change things because people complain.

    Only changing when people complain =/= change everything people complain about.

    So it doesnt go against the theory, because those things are simply not the same.

    He is still wrong, though, your argument just is flawed.

  • @MrCalac123 said:

    Implying anyone is pleased RN lol. I doubt old gen Console players are very enthused to play on either side.

    Were console players ever enthused? The games always run like ass on most consoles, because apparently a game with the graphical fidelity of a ps2 title on its lowest setting still can't run on jack.

  • More like "you can't please anyone, devs."

  • @Sakurra said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2463683#Comment_2463683

    I'm not a new player as you assume. It's obviously that they change things because players are complaining about them though. It's a fact. I know they won't stop, but I hope they will. That's all I had to say about it.

    Well yeah thats basic game design. "Oh no, my product is clearly leaving a bad impression on the consumers. Let's fix it so the majority has a better entertainment experience"

  • @sulaiman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2463703#Comment_2463703

    Only changing when people complain =/= change everything people complain about.

    So it doesnt go against the theory, because those things are simply not the same.

    He is still wrong, though, your argument just is flawed.

    Specifically not changing some of the things that have been complained about, LOUDLY, consistently, for years, is not the same as “not changing everything that is complained about”. Of course they can’t change everything that’s complained about, they wouldn’t have enough hours in the day. But if the OP really believes their theory that the devs just change stuff based on what the community doesn’t like, they’ll have a considered argument for why some of the most high profile complaints have not been addressed, and why the devs change things nobody complains about ever.

  • @Sakurra said:

    I'm wondering why devs try to please players. They can't please everyone. I wish they stop changing killer's perks and survivor's perks or many things because some players are complaining about them. I wanted to play a game with devs rules, not players rules. Don't forgot that it's their game so we should play the game how it is, not trying to change it for survivor mains or killer mains. Anyway, devs won't stop listening their players and I know it. I just said my opinion. Too sad that it happens.

    First of all the game should be playable in terms of actually working then it should be playable for both sides. RNG kills that and DbD is RNG the Game. We don't need Bloodwebb RNG, we don't need Map RNG when we already have so manny maps. RNG is an old solution to when the game had nothing. Shift W was a solution for when the game didn't take Looping into account for Map Design. The players skill evolved while BHVR and the game didn't, we're playing chess and BHVR is playing checkers. They still design for low skill level, they still design for shift W, they still design for RNG. They are still doing everything the exact same way.

  • @TacitusKilgore said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2463687#Comment_2463687

    Were console players ever enthused? The games always run like ass on most consoles, because apparently a game with the graphical fidelity of a ps2 title on its lowest setting still can't run on jack.

    Which makes the PS2 trully as Awesome as it's sales figures point out.

  • @lordfart said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2464143#Comment_2464143

    I know a lot of people didn't like it when he said it but he's completely right lol

    He is and he isn't. There's more to the game than just playing killer but if your game isn't fun for one of the sides then there's a design problem and Cote has first hand experience IN PUBLIC of how playing killer is UNFAIR and NOT FUN.

  • Fixing bugs would please a lot of people though.

  • @Sakurra said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2463683#Comment_2463683

    I'm not a new player as you assume. It's obviously that they change things because players are complaining about them though. It's a fact. I know they won't stop, but I hope they will. That's all I had to say about it.

    If people complain about something its usually something that needs to be changed. DS got complained about because it was too strong so they nerfed it and so did object and some other stuff