One fact that you cannot ignore about RCPD is how it was designed.

RCPD was designed only for resident evil's gameplay. To suit that style of play and general design philosophy, RCPD was made to be a maze like mess. Which you could navigate with the help of a map.

Those among you who are familiar with DBD will note the excruciating lack of a map when it comes to playing on RCPD.

So what DBD players are left with is a map that is purposefully designed to be a confusing maze. With apparently no attempts allowed by Capcom, or made by BHVR to modify the map for balance and to better suit DBD's gameplay.

Which I can only speculate was a decision made to preserve the nostalgia that RCPD has. Which seems to be the only alluring factor that RCPD has going for it. Other than the general feel of course, art team once again did a 10/10 job.

Which also brings us to another fact about RCPD, it is an indoor map. Which are infamously annoying to traverse, and find gens on.

Some indoor maps make an attempt to help you navigate to your objective by having blinking lights near gens. RCPD provides no such assistance, insisting you tough it out and search a maze for your gens.

As well as the myriad of other problems the map has. The only thing this map has that keeps it afloat is nostalgia. Other than that, I can wholeheartedly say this map has no place in DBD.

They could have chosen the Raccoon city streets, which would provide a nice urban setting that doesn't screw over 75% of killers. But no, capcom or BHVR instead chose the confusing maze which many killers can hardly function on.

Comments

  • That’s what I like. Just because RCPD works in RE2 doesn’t mean it works in DBDs gameplay it’s gameplay is completely different from RE2 so the map doesn’t work for dbd gameplay

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    That’s what I like. Just because RCPD works in RE2 doesn’t mean it works in DBDs gameplay it’s gameplay is completely different from RE2 so the map doesn’t work for dbd gameplay

    Not to mention how RCPD leaves much to be desired when it comes to pallet loops.

    Most of which seem to be short and undmindgameable. With some exceptions being short and mindgameable. The few that aren't short are god pallets that need to be broken.

    Basically the map sucks for MANY reasons.

  • @BingBongMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2385057#Comment_2385057

    Not to mention how RCPD leaves much to be desired when it comes to pallet loops.

    Most of which seem to be short and undmindgameable. With some exceptions being short and mindgameable. The few that aren't short are god pallets that need to be broken.

    Basically the map sucks for MANY reasons.

    Ooh yeah some pallets are absolutely pathetic you basically have to only camp them and hope you get a stun

  • This is another map added to the list of I absolutely hate these maps I groan when I get them as killer or survivor

  • We wait a whole year to get a new map and then we get R.C.P.D 🤢

    I hate this map so damn much.It really has everything i hate.

    Guess i'm just gonna AFK whenever i get R.C.P.D.

    Absolute worst map they've ever added.Like i'd rather play on HaddNoFun or Badham than this honestly.

  • It's a map designed for the antithesis of what has given DbD longevity.

  • Maybe they should give it the bedham treatment. Have like 3-4 variants. Each one has a section walled off for the sake of map traversal.

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    Maybe they should give it the bedham treatment. Have like 3-4 variants. Each one has a section walled off for the sake of map traversal.

    God, if only.

    Having 2 stories to an indoor map is god awful.

  • @BingBongMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2385094#Comment_2385094

    God, if only.

    Having 2 stories to an indoor map is god awful.

    3 stories*

    The library still exsists as a 3rd floor.

  • Imagine the third seal on this map

  • @HaunterofShadows said:

    Imagine the third seal on this map

    Please, I have nightmares from playing this map already.

  • @BingBongMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2385094#Comment_2385094

    God, if only.

    Having 2 stories to an indoor map is god awful.

    I really hate that on The Game. When you hear their heartbeat but you have no idea if they are above you or not. As killer I find maps with 2 floors tend to be smaller. Stuff like Devour Hope and MYC have a harder time proc'ing.

  • They really should have not made the RCPD and instead made a Racoon City map, much like Dead Dawg but modern urban with ruined burning cars all over the place and few accessible buildings.

    It's a tough map for both sides, I have a really hard time finding generators or a quick way to get where I need to go.

    It does bring a completely new map style to DBD though for better or worse.

  • I'm going to equip the offering to this place, and then equip the third seal and franklins on spirit as well as corrupt

  • @HaunterofShadows said:

    I'm going to equip the offering to this place, and then equip the third seal and franklins on spirit as well as corrupt

    Who hurt you?

  • @HaunterofShadows said:

    I'm going to equip the offering to this place, and then equip the third seal and franklins on spirit as well as corrupt

    someone is going to kill you if you do that.

  • I wished they stayed with the outdoor grid maps randomizing the tiles, I really dislike ALL indoor maps

  • I like the map :(

  • @Dito175 said:

    I like the map :(

    Guess there's no accounting for taste.

    Whatever the case, fact remains that the map is not designed for DBD's gameplay. Regardless of how you feel, the map is poorly designed when put in the frame of DBD map design and balance.

  • I really like the map, but yeah it has some very bad issues.

    I would have preferred Raccoon City streets, since it could have been a good hybrid between indoor and outdoor. RPD is both indoors and large, which screws over plenty of killers.

    A pretty simple fix would be to split the map in 2 versions, removing the East/West sides for each one. Could help with performance too, since the game wouldn't need to load as much stuff.

  • They need to split the map!

  • Can we just accept the fact that some maps are purposely designed to impede certain killers?

    And it’s not like it’s always going to be the end of the world for these killers either. Knockout, Hex the 3rd seal or just finding a totem in general is going to be a pain for survivors I’d imagine.

  • Just to clarify one point of your post, there are blinking lights that lead you to gens in RPD. They are little light bulbs that flicker near the doors.

    The problem I have with the map is that it keeps crashing on Switch so I can't play it.

  • They need to add more staircases and widen doorways to prevent bodyblocking and open up a few walls then the map will be passable.

  • I like the map, but only because I'm so used to it.

    But it really seems like they enjoy making new content that runs contrary to the gameplay that already exists. It already feels like looping is becoming a dated mechanic, especially with the new killers that seem to punish it. Then maps like this and Midwich that end up being awkward to play, regardless of how cool they are.

  • I think we should have a variety of map designs. All of the original maps are just open fields, with different skins. People may have issues with Haddonfield, The Game, Lerys, Hawkins, etc. but I think they're great changes of pace. (well, minus Haddonfield, it needs some tuning and a retouch, that map is uuugly) Lerys and Hawkins are actually two of my favourite maps.

    RPD is very different to the existing maps, and that's a good thing. It might be harder to navigate some parts of it (atm, until you learn it), but that's true for both sides, killer and survivor, so it's not as if it's a huge boon to one side or the other. As you learn it you may find some strong loops (like Haddonfields god house), and those are individual issues in their own right, but the map as a whole is a good thing.

  • @Seraphor said:

    I think we should have a variety of map designs. All of the original maps are just open fields, with different skins. People may have issues with Haddonfield, The Game, Lerys, Hawkins, etc. but I think they're great changes of pace. (well, minus Haddonfield, it needs some tuning and a retouch, that map is uuugly) Lerys and Hawkins are actually two of my favourite maps.

    RPD is very different to the existing maps, and that's a good thing. It might be harder to navigate some parts of it (atm, until you learn it), but that's true for both sides, killer and survivor, so it's not as if it's a huge boon to one side or the other. As you learn it you may find some strong loops (like Haddonfields god house), and those are individual issues in their own right, but the map as a whole is a good thing.

    I agree, variety is good, but variety shouldn't mean that gameplay on a map isn't fun for either side.

    RCPD was a literal copy and paste job. Which literally made no attempts to make the map fit with DBD's style of looping gameplay.

    Yes you can eventually get used to the layout. But it still doesn't change the fact that the map was designed for an entirely different style of play that does not align with how DBD is played.

    Nor does it change the fact that the majority of loops on that map are hot garbage for survivors.

  • @BingBongMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2385520#Comment_2385520

    I agree, variety is good, but variety shouldn't mean that gameplay on a map isn't fun for either side.

    RCPD was a literal copy and paste job. Which literally made no attempts to make the map fit with DBD's style of looping gameplay.

    Yes you can eventually get used to the layout. But it still doesn't change the fact that the map was designed for an entirely different style of play that does not align with how DBD is played.

    Nor does it change the fact that the majority of loops on that map are hot garbage for survivors.

    That's funny, I've got someone in another thread telling me how RPD is ridiculously survivor sided.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2385922#Comment_2385922

    That's funny, I've got someone in another thread telling me how RPD is ridiculously survivor sided.

    They're wrong, RCPD is bad for both sides.

    Though most loops heavily favor killers in the aspect that they are short and unmindagameable. With maybe 1 - 2 short mindgameable loops.

    The loops that aren't short are usually god pallets that need to be broken.

    The map sucks for killer because of the purposefully confusing layout that hinders traversal, and the fact that indoor maps heavily restrict the usage of some powers. Which within itself is also a reason that it sucks for survivors even more.