Does anybody else find the ever-increasing amount of lore not interesting?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort, devs. But the amount of lore being put into new characters, it hardly leaves anything to the imagination AND it's getting more and more tiring to read. I reckon it should be saved for the archives and then killers are left slightly more open ended upon release.

Do you guys agree or disagree? Genuinely curious on this one

(tl;dr, lore too long and explains too much, I want less upon release to make killers more open to interpretation)

Comments

  • It depends. Some like deathslinger’s is amazing to me but then there’s trickster who I have no interest in

  • @PassarinoT said:

    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort, devs. But the amount of lore being put into new characters, it hardly leaves anything to the imagination AND it's getting more and more tiring to read. I reckon it should be saved for the archives and then killers are left slightly more open ended upon release.

    Do you guys agree or disagree? Genuinely curious on this one

    (tl;dr, lore too long and explains too much, I want less upon release to make killers more open to interpretation)

    Depends I think the only lore I truly hate is hags or the new nurse stuff, other than that I love the new lore even if it's small tidbits

  • I like the lore.

  • People care about the lore of... this game?

  • I think what it's missing is the connection between other survivors & killers. I'm reading the lore like it's an anthology series, but even for short stories it doesn't really expand their personalities all too much. Dwight was known for being a nervous leader, but "did you know he cares about people" is what I really learned from his lore besides his additional background.

  • Considering that it's almost entirely all written lore, and not displayed through other things like cinematics or even cosmetics and map features (because we haven't had new maps in a long time) yeah, I'd say there's a point where it gets to be too much, and we're about there now.

  • @Phasmamain said:

    It depends. Some like deathslinger’s is amazing to me but then there’s trickster who I have no interest in

    I agree, but I think slinger's lore was pretty expansive for it's length. Trickster's feels like a run on sentence going nowhere.

    @Seraphor said:

    Considering that it's almost entirely all written lore, and not displayed through other things like cinematics or even cosmetics and map features (because we haven't had new maps in a long time) yeah, I'd say there's a point where it gets to be too much, and we're about there now.

    Yeah. This exactly.

  • @RenTheCat said:

    People care about the lore of... this game?

    Yeah.. of course some people care about it? Nothing wrong about that.

    whats the point of asking this in such a (mild) provocative way? If you don’t care you don’t have to participate in the discussion...

  • I'm just tired of Archive lore contradicting the orginal lore or ignoring it completely. This has happened a lot and it's annoying.

  • @ProfoundEnding said:

    I'm just tired of Archive lore contradicting the orginal lore or ignoring it completely. This has happened a lot and it's annoying.

    Has it happened?

    i only really noticed for Legion. And I haven’t looked at the lore of the new tome but Yui got a story from a different dimension or something where she is not the same I think?

  • I've been playing this game for four years and never once have I cared to even look at the lore lol.

    Does the killer look good? Does he have a good power? Other than that I don't really care tbh.

  • I actually like all of the lore. My biggest problem is that lore entries are tied to these pain in the arse challenges that I just cannot be bothered to complete. Honestly I'd like to know more about Blight, Deathslinger and the lovecraftian stuff that's happening with the entity and the trials XD

  • This game has lore?

  • @ShinobuSK said:

    This game has lore?

    Yes. Every character has a background story. And the archives bring lore to the featured characters plus the observer..

    how can you not notice this in-game?

  • i barely read any of it, trickster in particular is just so flipping long. I looked at it on the PTB and scrolled down and lost any motivation I might've had to read it.

    The only recent killer who's lore I have read was blights

  • Yeah. When dbd first came out the lore EXISTED but was VAGUE, and that actually somehow made it more believable. Adding horror + belief actually granted the game a modicum of "scariness". Now I can read how many squares of TP each character uses per wipe, and reading all of it is a massive chore, which additionally removes all of the "unknowns" and removing unknowns is what kills horror.

  • The thing is some lore is way too large and not especially interesting, especially talking about newer killers. Besides, I'm not interested at all in Archives lore just because I can't unlock half the entries. Not because I'm trash (which I am) but because I don't have that character/ I don't want to play them.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2139869#Comment_2139869

    Has it happened?

    i only really noticed for Legion. And I haven’t looked at the lore of the new tome but Yui got a story from a different dimension or something where she is not the same I think?

    Lisa's lore. Which completely ignores her orginal lore that made her sound cool and instead focused on her being friends with a ######### essentially.

  • I don’t read the lore...BUT, I have found some Lore related videos on DbD and they make visiting the lore much more interesting then just reading it myself. Not sure if I’m just easily influenced by their enthusiasm in lore diving or how they sneak in their own lore theories/ideas, but some videos I’ve seen has made me appreciate some DbD lore.

    Mostly I’d say I don’t care for the lore though, but I do have exceptions~

  • Generally I like the new lore, I loved especially the Nurse's since it described her descent into madness. What I don't like much is characters bios which are too long, like Elodie's or the Twin's. The bio should be short and representing the character essence, not an essay on their childhood.

  • It all depends

    I like Dwight's lore because of how simple it is and how morally grey it is.

    I don't like Nurse's lore because it's about how eugenics are good and how the nurse's killing spree was based around genetic superiority rather than misguided mercy killing.

    I like Trapper's lore because it gives the character more depth.

    I don't like Hag's lore because it doesn't matter in the context of her character

  • They're a few paragraphs each and completely optional to read.

  • @PlunderingPanda said:

    Yeah. When dbd first came out the lore EXISTED but was VAGUE, and that actually somehow made it more believable. Adding horror + belief actually granted the game a modicum of "scariness". Now I can read how many squares of TP each character uses per wipe, and reading all of it is a massive chore, which additionally removes all of the "unknowns" and removing unknowns is what kills horror.

    THANK YOU. Hardly anybody is understanding why I'm against so much lore, it's not because it's too lengthy to read, it's because it kills the vibe. I like mystery to the horror. I liked the old stuff that left room for imagination and didn't tell a whole movie plot.

  • @PassarinoT said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2139951#Comment_2139951

    THANK YOU. Hardly anybody is understanding why I'm against so much lore, it's not because it's too lengthy to read, it's because it kills the vibe. I like mystery to the horror. I liked the old stuff that left room for imagination and didn't tell a whole movie plot.

    I like it for the same reason you don't. "Leaving stuff to the imagination" is a sign of poor writing, IMO. It shows that the writer(s) didn't take the time to think about what they were writing and are just hoping the fans will fill in the gaps with their fan fiction.

  • You guys read the lore?

  • @PassarinoT said:

    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort, devs. But the amount of lore being put into new characters, it hardly leaves anything to the imagination AND it's getting more and more tiring to read. I reckon it should be saved for the archives and then killers are left slightly more open ended upon release.

    Do you guys agree or disagree? Genuinely curious on this one

    (tl;dr, lore too long and explains too much, I want less upon release to make killers more open to interpretation)

    I honestly like that they put so much work into coming up with character backstories and so forth. Even the simple ones, like Meg (she was a jogger who disappeared, and whose body was never found) give interesting, sometimes creepy insight into who it is that you're playing.

    I can understand the complaint that too much explanation ruins the mystique, I've definitely felt that about some things. But in the case of this game I guess you can always just not read it, not accept it as the "true" version of events. If I can do it with the Disney Star Wars trilogy, anyone can do it.

  • I like the lore, But I hate how some of the Archive lore just changes the original lore completely.

  • I've never cared much for the lore. I usually only read the killers' and I do it one time, just enough to remember the big ideas behind them. Trapper: family owned a mine. Wraith: worked at a junk yard. Plague: a cult leader. When asked on one of the surveys how much it matters to me, I really don't care.

  • Although not official, as it's a concept I came up with over 3 years ago and not currently in the game, How do you feel about THIS lore:

    @TWiXT said:

    This is an updated version of a concept I came up with over a year ago as an original killer alternative for those out there wanting to see a doll killer like Chucky in the game. I have Many changes but the most notable are the refined backstory, and reworks to the perks and power for better balance in today's current game environment and meta. I hope you guys like it.

    The Dolls

    Appearance/Mannerism: Alabaster porcelain Dolls dressed in different era or environment specific outfits of both male and female varieties. The Dolls move at 6m/s, and have a 24 meter Terror radius

    Back-story:

    Agnes Cartwright was a resident of a small town a few Km outside of Suffolk England from 1896-1923. In her early years she was seen as a peculiar child to others in the schoolhouse, but none could’ve known what torture she endured at her secluded home outside of town under the care of her vicious stepmother. Her father had passed away when she was 4 years old, leaving her at the mercy of her cruel and mentally unstable stepmom who demanded she come home immediately from school with no guests allowed, and regularly abused her verbally, physically and mentally over petty reasons like coming home 20 seconds late, talking out of turn or behaving childishly. Often locked in the cellar for hours, barely fed, and disallowed contact with others outside of school led Agnes to take comfort in the only fragment of her loving father she had: a large sized porcelain doll named Lucy, whom she regularly whispered to as her only friend. Eventually mercury poisoning from her stepmothers job as a Hatter made her too unpredictable, difficult to understand, and sickly to the point of being bedridden. Those last months of her stepmother’s life were the happiest Agnes had been in a long time. Agnes learned to use the machine in her stepmoms sewing room to make new outfits for Lucy, but the cracks and wear on Lucy were getting too problematic and Agnes could hear Lucy crying out to make her better. Her eye’s had fallen out and broken, and Agnes desperately needed new ones to replace them. At 13 years old Agnes trekked the distance into Suffolk to learn everything she could about doll-making, and while a social odd-ball, one shop owner took pity and started her off on a trial basis as an intern, but quickly came to realize that Agnes had a gift for fine details as well as clever innovation with all she was taught.

    After learning enough about doll repair from the shop’s owner, Agnes slowly restored Lucy while tending to her sick stepmothers gibberish orders and violent outbursts, often Agnes had to calm her down with medicated powder dissolved in boiling water and inhaled through the steam as her doctor ordered. While the medication worked well, it left her stepmother in a confused stupor unable to remember things or accurately process new information, which was fine for Agnes since it ensured a lower chance of interruptions while she worked on Lucy. The biggest problem was always with the eyes, as nothing she tried made Lucy happy. While tending to her bedridden stepmother, Lucy spoke to Agnes about how pretty her stepmothers’ eyes were, and what a shame it would be if she carried them to the grave with her to rot. Agnes felt her blood run cold as the epiphany occurred to her as she collected her tools for the task ahead.

    It was harder than she was ready for, and even though her step mother had to be strapped down to the bed for her own good so she could be medicated without resistance, she still struggled against Agnes’s effort. All the blood made her slippery and hard to hold down, but after enough bleeding and eventual slip into shock, her stepmother stopped moving, and she extracted the eyes with care. Agnes gently removed the nerve cords, drained them and slipped in marbles to hold their structure, but fearing the eventual decay she ingeniously soaked them in transparent adhesive overnight before letting them dry, polished and lacquered them to a pristine shine, and with that Lucy finally had the eyes she always wanted.

    As Agnes grew better at doll making and more astute with the finer details, the Doll Shop became much more successful, as everyone wanted one of Agnes’s original designs, earning her the title of “The Doll Lady” from the local children. It was always tough for Agnes, making new friends day in and day out, only to have to let them go home with little boys and girls once they were sold by the store owner, but in her mind, none of them could ever compare to Lucy. At home Lucy began asking Agnes to make more friends for her to play Stop ‘n Go and Hide n' Seek with while Agnes was away from home (The first game is now called Red light, Green Light). Agnes had always wanted to play those games with her classmates after school but was never allowed to, and she was delighted to take up the task. She worked hard to convert the sewing room into a full blown doll workshop. Sometimes stealing but otherwise buying supplies from her employer at a discount for her home shop; she dedicated herself to the craft of making new friends for hours every evening she could spare at home. Again however, Lucy disliked her new friend’s eyes, and eventually got them to beg Agnes for better ones like hers, a request which Agnes initially resisted.

    In her mid 20’s however, upon returning home she found that a local boy had broken into her house and discovered her friends. Startled by Agnes, the boy threw a doll at her and leaped out the window. Agnes dodged it, but her mind broke as her beloved Lucy’s brief scream for help was silenced when she shattered against the wall. Agnes’s grief over the sudden loss of Lucy was overpowered by her fury as all of her friends cried out for her to punish the interloper in kind for murdering Lucy. Without hesitation she took up her shears, chased down the boy in the nearby woods, and ended his life. She took boy’s eyes as compensation and used them to give Lucy’s boyfriend Clay the eyes he always wanted. Agnes held a memorial for Lucy, burying her remains in her favorite spot of the meadow on their property overlooking the pond, marked the grave with a single candle and a small photo of her holding Lucy when she was 3, and hid the boy’s body in her basement alongside her stepmothers’ desiccated corpse. With the money she had earned, Agnes had a large, spike tipped, iron rod fence put in around her estate to keep out further transgressors, and by Clays persuasion, from that point on obnoxious children with pretty eyes started disappearing in her home town and Suffolk.

    Agnes had mastered preserving the eyes, and giving them to her friends as gifts, sometimes taking a friend into town or Suffolk to pick and choose the eyes they liked best, and Agnes soon became an expert at luring, capturing, and killing the children and young teenagers to extract their eyes for her friends, as well as transporting and hiding their bodies in the woods. However, after a week long storm had caused mudslides, a few of her victims bodies were discovered floating down rivers, prompting authorities to search the wooded areas on the outskirts of Suffolk where more were discovered.

    Everyone was on high alert for suspicious behavior, as any information leading to the arrest of “The Gouger,” now linked to the missing children, had become top priority. Agnes’s peculiarities and shift in personality became more troubling to her boss, and her insistence on walking home without an escort every evening while a killer was on the loose only drew further suspicion her way. She feigned ignorance as best she could until a constable visited her estate, discovered the desiccated bodies in her cellar and drew his revolver. Panicking about how she would never be allowed to play with her friends again, Agnes drew her shears and attacked the constable, taking a shot in the lower abdomen from his revolver, but managed to cut his jugular artery and send him tumbling down the cellar stairs. Agnes knew she didn’t have much time before more constables would be on her doorstep and had to move fast. After patching herself up haphazardly, she could hear all of her friends cry out begging to go with her, but she could only pack up a few with promises to return for the rest later.

    Tears freely running down her cheeks, and dragging 2 travel trunks full of her friends while bleeding from her crudely stitched wound, she hastily limped off into the woods as a thick fog rolled in during the twilight hour. Despite the horrific discovery of the dolls she left behind featuring preserved children’s eyes, and an exhaustive manhunt lasting for months, Agnes was never found.

    Weapon:

    Knives, scissors, ice picks, box cutters etc. Anything small enough for the dolls to wield that could be found in any home or store. (Possibly themed per realm in weapon cosmetic packs) They have a higher than average lunge range but the shortest reach of all killers.

    Power: Possession

    Passive:

    Up to 10-16 dolls appear on the trial grounds based upon map size, and are eager to play a lethal game of “Red light, Green light” with survivors. A possessed doll within 16 meters of a survivor can be transfixed and unable to move or attack (unless touching the survivor) as long as a survivor is looking at it with their inner 30 degree cone of vision, but will be able to move and attack again once the survivor breaks their inner 30 degree line of sight with it or gets more than 16 meters away. Hooked survivors or survivors in the dying state can’t transfix a doll. Similar to how tall reeds and corn affects killers using line of sight abilities (Shape, Ghost Face), vegetation counts as broken line of sight to a survivor looking in a dolls direction restricting the transfixion range to 8 meters. Possessed Dolls make movement sounds and periodic child giggling noises that can be heard within 12 meters, and their Terror Radius, giggling, and red stain persists for 6 seconds for a recently possessed doll after transferring to a new one. The Dolls can’t vault windows, or destroy pallets while transfixed. Breaking, Grabbing, Carrying, Vaulting and Hooking actions are performed by the invisible spirit of Agnes Cartwright who possesses the Dolls and can’t be body blocked, and after it’s hooked a survivor, it possesses the nearest doll.

    (Possible balance change if needed due to The Dolls size)

    This is the only killer with a 3rd person perspective.

    OR,

    Fog and Vegetation renders 90% transparent in a 20m radius for the killer when in a dolls perspective. (if going this rout I suggest it also applies to Pig and Ghost Face when they crouch)

    Active:

    Activating this power transfers your perspective to the nearest Doll, or to the Doll whose aura you target over the span of .3-3 seconds depending upon distance. After possessing another doll if the doll you left behind was transfixed by a survivors gaze, that survivors aura is revealed to you until they get far enough away or break line of sight with it.

    Mori:

    Four dolls run in and hold the survivors limbs down while the fifth eyeless doll gouges out the survivors eyes with its hands, eats them, and blinks revealing the newly acquired eyes in its sockets, after which the dolls scatter and your perspective returns to the last used doll.

    Map: The “Doll Lady’s” House.

    In the middle of a large meadow overrun with chest high grass, and on the edge of some woods with a small pond, lies a run down one story home with a living room, bedroom, small bathroom, kitchen and dining area, a doll making workshop room, and a basement accessible from a cellar door outside. Aside from the base of a few mid-sized boulders and trees there is barely a bald spot of earth on the grounds of this map. The entire estate is surrounded by a large, rusty, spike tipped, iron rod fence. Hooks on this map are wood framed and feature stitched together patches of fabric wrapping around them, dangling doll body parts, and a small black and white memorial photo of a of a 3 year old girl holding a doll at the base lit by a single candle.

    Unique Perks:

    Painful Neglect: Survivors who lose focus on their goals incur hefty penalties. Survivors who take their inner 30 degree cone of vision off of a generator they are repairing experience a 5/10/15% reduced progress speed, increased odds of triggering skill checks, and reduced skill check success zones.

    Hide n’ Seek: Innate Control over your terrifying presence conceals your whereabouts from survivors. When within 8/16/24 meters of a survivor, the Terror Radius’s heartbeat sound no longer increases its Rate the closer you are to them.

    Mind Numbing Mist: Your intense desire to kill transgressors has saturated the fog of the trial grounds, dulling and suppressing the Survivors sense of situational awareness. Up to 2/3/4 Survivors no longer receive Status Effect, Perk and Teammate condition notifications during the trial. Injured, Dying, Hooked and Exhaustion notifications are exempt from this effect.

    Survivor: Wei Ying

    A bit malnourished but professional to the core, Wei Ying is a clever man in his 30’s who has over 15 years of experience as an electrical technician. In his youth he always took apart every toy and electronic in his possession; intrigued by how they worked, and as an adult he’s a master of electronics and an artist with his tools and ingenuity having created multiple patented devices that are mass produced today. Cocky, condescending to others, but intense when he commits to a task; having him as an ally ensures objectives will be completed more smoothly than you’re accustomed.

    Unique Perks:

    Tools of the Trade: When supplies are low you have a keen instinct for finding the right tools for the job. While carrying a Flashlight or Toolbox item of common/uncommon/rare or lower quality during a trial, the first chest you open will be a guaranteed Match or Upgraded rarity item of the same type.

    Safety First: Your knowledge of working around electrical devices outmatches others who tend to ignore the basic rules of repairing. When you start repairing a generator it powers down over the span of 8/6/4 seconds and remains powered down while you work on it. Leaving an affected generator for more than 6 seconds, failed skill checks, and damage from the killer will immediately power it back up at its current level of progress.

    Delay Resistors: Experience has rewarded you with an advantage against the Killer’s situational awareness. After you completely repair a generator, the generators full power up and notifying alert to the killer is delayed for 3/4/5 seconds or until another survivor begins working on it. The generator can be damaged by the killer within this window of time.

    TL;DR Version:

    The Dolls

    Appearance/Mannerism: Alabaster porcelain dolls the size of totems of male and female variety with differing outfits (possibly in themed outfit packs of 4, e.g. creepy dolls made to look like small versions of the other killers/survivors), they have a 24m terror radius and a 6m\s movement speed.

    Weapon: Small weapons such as knives, scissors, screwdrivers, ice picks, claw hammers etc. basically anything small enough for a Doll to wield that can be found anywhere (possibly in themed cosmetic weapon packs of 4, e.g. Realm themed small farm tools, medical tools, metal shop tools, hunting tools…). They have a larger than average lunge range but the shortest reach of all killers.

    Power: Possession

    Passive: Up to 10-16 dolls appear on the trial grounds based upon map size, and are eager to play a lethal game of “Red light, Green light” with survivors. A possessed doll within 16 meters of a survivor can be transfixed and unable to move or attack (unless touching the survivor) as long as a survivor is looking at it with their inner 30 degree cone of vision, but will be able to move and attack again once the survivor breaks thier inner 30 degree line of sight with it or gets more than 16 meters away. Hooked survivors or survivors in the dying state can’t transfix a doll. Similar to how tall reeds and corn affects killers using line of sight abilities (Shape, Ghost Face), vegetation counts as broken line of sight to a survivor looking in a dolls direction restricting the transfixion range to 8 meters. Possessed Dolls make movement sounds and periodic child giggling noises that can be heard within 12 meters, and Terror Radius, giggling, and red stain persists for 6 seconds for a recently possessed doll after transferring to a new one. The Dolls can’t vault windows, or destroy pallets while transfixed. Breaking, Grabbing, Carrying, Vaulting and Hooking actions are performed by the invisible spirit of Agnes Cartwright who possesses the Dolls and can’t be body blocked, and after it’s hooked a survivor, it possesses the nearest doll.

    (Possible balance change if needed due to The Dolls size)

    This is the only killer with a 3rd person perspective.

    Or,

    Fog and Vegetation renders 90% transparent in a 20m radius for the killer when in a dolls perspective. (if going this rout I suggest it also applies to Pig and Ghost Face when they crouch)

    Active: Activating this power transfers your perspective to the nearest Doll, or to the Doll whose aura you target over .3-3 seconds depending on distance. After possessing another doll if the doll you left behind was transfixed by a survivors gaze, that survivors aura is revealed to you until they get far enough away or break line of sight with it.

    Mori: Four dolls run in and hold the survivors limbs down while the fifth eyeless doll gouges out the survivors eyes with its hands, eats them, and blinks revealing the newly acquired eyes in its sockets, after which the dolls scatter and your perspective returns to the last used doll.

    Map: The “Doll Lady’s” House

    A small 5 room run down home with a basement accessible by a cellar door on the outside in the middle of a large and very grassy meadow. On the edges of this meadow are young woods, and a small pond. The grounds are surrounded by a spike tipped, rusty, Iron rod fence, and the hooks are wood framed and feature stitched together patches of fabric wrapping around them, dangling doll body parts, and a small black and white memorial photo of a of a 3 year old girl holding a doll at the base lit by a single candle.

    Unique Perks:

    Painful Neglect: At Max, Survivors who take their inner 30 degree cone of vision off of a generator they are repairing experience a 15% reduced progress speed, increased odds of triggering skill checks, and reduced skill check success zones.

    Hide n’ Seek – At Max, When within 24 meters of a survivor, the Terror Radius’s heartbeat sound no longer increases its Rate the closer you are to them.

    Mind Numbing Mist – At Max, Up to 4 Survivors no longer receive Status effect, Perk and Teammate condition notifications during the trial. Injured, Down, Hooked and Exhaustion status notifications are exempt from this effect.

    Survivor: Wei Ying

    A malnourished electrical technician with a cocky attitude, and condescending demeanor towards others. Never the less his expertise at repairing and tinkering with items makes having him as an ally a great benefit to the team when focused on primary objectives.

    Unique Perks:

    Tools of the Trade: At Max, While carrying a Flashlight or Toolbox item of Rare or lower quality during a trial, the first chest you open will be a guaranteed Match or Upgraded rarity item of the same type.

    Safety First – At Max, When you start repairing a generator it powers down over the span of 4 seconds and remains powered down while you work on it. Leaving an affected generator for more than 6 seconds, failed skill checks, and damage from the killer will immediately power it back up at its current level of progress.

    Delay Resistors – At Max, After you completely repair a generator, the generators full power up and notifying alert to the killer is delayed by 5 seconds or until another survivor begins working on it. The generator can be damaged by the killer within this window of time.

    ​

    All creative criticism is welcome.

    It's a long Read, but if you only read the Backstory part... I'm eager to hear your reveiw.

  • If I unlock the lore in the archives, I read it.

    Same goes for character bios.

    I never actively look for extra lore online, for me that would just spoil the effort I've put into gaining it by doing challenges already.

    So in answer to your question, I like the lore I've read; but bear in mind, that I haven't read all of it yet.

  • @SkeletalElite said:

    You guys read the lore?

    well.. of course many people do.. why are you asking?