What does MMR aim to do exactly?

I keep reading posts regarding MMR, and honestly I haven't looked into it that much, but is it suppose to pair you against someone of "your skill level"?

I wanna share a little story. I recently started playing Home Sweet Home (fun game btw), a game which many of you are aware of. I had already played killer to level 3 and finally wanted to try survivor. So I skipped the tutorial and just wanted to go in basically to learn how the game worked on my own. Thankfully right before you go into a match it pretty much tells you exactly what you need to do as a survivor. So I go in, and the skill checks are a little bit harder than DBD, needless to say I kept getting found because I kept messing up. I sort of had an idea of how to evade but it didn't seem to be enough. So as you might have already guessed, yes I died first. ๐Ÿ˜‚ This doesn't take away from how much fun I had learning AND getting my butt handed to me.

Anyway, the point of why I even bring up this is because when I checked their levels I was a level 3, two other survivors were between level 10-22, another survivor was level 5 and the killer was level 44. So as you can see there is a lot of disparity between all our levels.

I don't understand why DBD makes such a big deal when it comes to disparity in ranks or experience. I have been playing this game for over 5k hours now and I can tell you I still potato every now and then. I have a foundation that helps but if the killer is good, I no longer feel like I am in that safe zone.

Like, I think it might get to a place where you might face someone around your skill. I don't even think it will happen in every match, but if it is going to affect queue times in a negative way, I would rather take what I can if it means we will have faster queue times. I feel like that should be a part of what this system aims for.

Comments

  • There's also only like 3,000 people playing Home Sweet Home with an apparently bad server system. DbD has like 50,000 on PC alone, not including every console. There are a lot more players to pull from which muddies up the matchmaking a lot.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    I keep reading posts regarding MMR, and honestly I haven't looked into it that much, but is it suppose to pair you against someone of "your skill level"?

    I wanna share a little story. I recently started playing Home Sweet Home (fun game btw), a game which many of you are aware of. I had already played killer to level 3 and finally wanted to try survivor. So I skipped the tutorial and just wanted to go in basically to learn how the game worked on my own. Thankfully right before you go into a match it pretty much tells you exactly what you need to do as a survivor. So I go in, and the skill checks are a little bit harder than DBD, needless to say I kept getting found because I kept messing up. I sort of had an idea of how to evade but it didn't seem to be enough. So as you might have already guessed, yes I died first. ๐Ÿ˜‚ This doesn't take away from how much fun I had learning AND getting my butt handed to me.

    Anyway, the point of why I even bring up this is because when I checked their levels I was a level 3, two other survivors were between level 10-22, another survivor was level 5 and the killer was level 44. So as you can see there is a lot of disparity between all our levels.

    I don't understand why DBD makes such a big deal when it comes to disparity in ranks or experience. I have been playing this game for over 5k hours now and I can tell you I still potato every now and then. I have a foundation that helps but if the killer is good, I no longer feel like I am in that safe zone.

    Like, I think it might get to a place where you might face someone around your skill. I don't even think it will happen in every match, but if it is going to affect queue times in a negative way, I would rather take what I can if it means we will have faster queue times. I feel like that should be a part of what this system aims for.

    Well i can tell you that as a 200 or so hour rank 12-15 killer, the game isnt very fun when im up against a team of 4 red ranks with well over 1k hours each. I personally cant wait wait for mmr.

  • Personally I don't think it will help anyone but the Survivors in this game. A major complaint is bad teammates and how overly coordinated swf can be. So Mmr could potentially let the devs find the middle ground and adjust things to close the gap.

    Unfortunately killer will feel the changes perspectively as better survivor pairing will result in much quicker matches and que times will pair them with higher skilled Survivors regardless of where the killer skill is actually at.

  • When more people are playing, I feel like matchmaking has an easier job of pairing. When the que times start getting long I know I'll start seeing rainbow ranks. I suppose this is okay because, I would rather get a match than keep waiting for similar ranks.

    Also, rank resets and, if you stop playing for a while basically, a thousand hour red rank can be dropped back in the teens and Smash face for a little while so, I'm not sure that rank is even a clear reflection of skill.

    I will say that it does require some skill and luck to retain red rank on survivor end. I don't really try to, I feel the game gets too sweaty. I also don't have red ranked friends, all of my friends are below my rank and, I usually stay in purples.

  • @DemonDaddy said:

    Personally I don't think it will help anyone but the Survivors in this game. A major complaint is bad teammates and how overly coordinated swf can be. So Mmr could potentially let the devs find the middle ground and adjust things to close the gap.

    Unfortunately killer will feel the changes perspectively as better survivor pairing will result in much quicker matches and que times will pair them with higher skilled Survivors regardless of where the killer skill is actually at.

    @DemonDaddy

    I think you're absolutely right. Many times I will play with 2 red rank friends, and we get a random rank 15 baby survivor who doesn't know how the game works. Basically not being a reliable survivor for obvious reasons, and becoming more of a hinderance to the match.

    I think for that new survivor, that ultimately won't matter to them because they are just learning. I just hope that whatever MMR does is not negatively affect queue times. It is one of the worst things this game has going for itself.

    It's bad when you can play other games in between because the queue times are that long.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2125609#Comment_2125609

    @DemonDaddy

    I think you're absolutely right. Many times I will play with 2 red rank friends, and we get a random rank 15 baby survivor who doesn't know how the game works. Basically not being a reliable survivor for obvious reasons, and becoming more of a hinderance to the match.

    I think for that new survivor, that ultimately won't matter to them because they are just learning. I just hope that whatever MMR does is not negatively affect queue times. It is one of the worst things this game has going for itself.

    It's bad when you can play other games in between because the queue times are that long.

    You realise that a huge part of the queue time problem is as a result of the awful matchmaking right. I would love to play more killer but since more of my games have me completely outclassed than actually in a decent somewhat even match, i dont even bother playing more than a couple rounds a night, if at all.

  • @kingcarl2012 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2125636#Comment_2125636

    You realise that a huge part of the queue time problem is as a result of the awful matchmaking right. I would love to play more killer but since more of my games have me completely outclassed than actually in a decent somewhat even match, i dont even bother playing more than a couple rounds a night, if at all.

    @kingcarl2012

    I actually don't because I have not seen any evidence of that. One could also say that it could be the result of servers being introduced into the game. I have no evidence of that either.

    What I do know if that, you will not learn unless you keep trying. Hence why I brought up the other game I just started playing where I was paired against a much more experienced killer while it was only my very first survivor match. You can still have fun learning.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2125890#Comment_2125890

    @kingcarl2012

    I actually don't because I have not seen any evidence of that. One could also say that it could be the result of servers being introduced into the game. I have no evidence of that either.

    What I do know if that, you will not learn unless you keep trying. Hence why I brought up the other game I just started playing where I was paired against a much more experienced killer while it was only my very first survivor match. You can still have fun learning.

    To a point you are correct. However if you put a group of 10 year old kids in a 12th grade physics class, I would hazard a guess that not only would they not learn much, but it wouldnt be very fun either.

  • The issue with the current Rank Matching system is manyfold. Some examples:

    1. Anyone who averages a greater than 0 pip will gradually escalate in ranks eventually. The more skilled the player the faster they go, but with enough time anyone average player can reach rank 1.
    2. Due to 1, there is a celling to where any player can climb until they are matched with players with thousands of hours of experience. A fresh first-time red rank is the same to the current system as a Nurse/Survivor main who started playing in 2016.
    3. The emblem system is kinda shaky. Ex: survivors compete in resources leading to hookbombs in an attempt to guarantee their share in altruism points. Killers also get a bad deal if they manage to stomp the other team.

    In the political sphere, there have been some players pretty vocal against MMR, mostly content creators who invested a lot of their lives playing this game. I take their opinions with skepticism. Some of them have been going through hundreds of games with killers recently released and reaching incredible streak numbers.

    Truth is, MMR hurts them bc they will no longer be matched with much less experienced players. Their queue times will go up and each match will be fought with sweat/tears and blood, but for the massive bulk in the middle of the skill cap this will be a victory. MMR will reduce dramatically the chances of an average player being matched against a 4man depip squad or a sweat lord Spirit.

    I can't wait for the incoming changes.

  • I am against Ranks, because theres no incentive to play on High Rank, its very stressful as killer on high rank, i just facecamp ppl to death to Derank myself out of it

    6 years and still no rank rewards despite they promised on Launch

  • It'll stop situations like that from happening. If you keep playing HSH, you'll eventually get to that point where someone new will be matched up with you & maybe you just won't have the patience for that.

  • Make the game sweatier, basically.

  • @Someissues said:

    I am against Ranks, because theres no incentive to play on High Rank, its very stressful as killer on high rank, i just facecamp ppl to death to Derank myself out of it

    6 years and still no rank rewards despite they promised on Launch

    When MMR eventually comes back, we'll get one, but i think it's stupid that the rank reward hinge on that since rank will still work the exact same way as before.

  • @SunderMun said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2126590#Comment_2126590

    When MMR eventually comes back, we'll get one, but i think it's stupid that the rank reward hinge on that since rank will still work the exact same way as before.

    MMR is still here though, i only get matched with high ranked survivors

  • I'm personally excited for it because 1) You have a seperate per killer rating and 2) It will hopefully reduce disparity between different survivor's skill within a game. When playing survivor having team mates who signficantly worse at the game than you is a very frustrating experience, because no matter how well you play the mistakes of the worse player can still cause you to lose.

  • It's the first part of solving this game's problems. We're gonna get accurate information on how same-skill killer and survivors do against each other, and balance around that. It's not complicated, and it can only do good, not harm.

  • @danielmaster87 said:

    It's the first part of solving this game's problems. We're gonna get accurate information on how same-skill killer and survivors do against each other, and balance around that. It's not complicated, and it can only do good, not harm.

    @danielmaster87

    Yeah I agree with that, and I'm not oppose to MMR if it works.

    I just wondered how it will impact queue times.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2126804#Comment_2126804

    @danielmaster87

    Yeah I agree with that, and I'm not oppose to MMR if it works.

    I just wondered how it will impact queue times.

    I can only assume it would improve queue times, because you're getting matched with people of equal skill instead of rolling dice. If that makes people mad, they can leave for all I care.

  • @kingcarl2012 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/244204/what-does-mmr-aim-to-do-exactly

    Well i can tell you that as a 200 or so hour rank 12-15 killer, the game isnt very fun when im up against a team of 4 red ranks with well over 1k hours each. I personally cant wait wait for mmr.

    I mean, the ranking system is gonna change soon anyway. It would probably reset people back to rank 20 like it used to, giving meaning to reaching red ranks rather than being boosted to rank 4 right before rank reset and being perpeptually red rank.

  • This makes perfect sense. If competent fast balance design was a thing, however patches come so slowly decisions and updates happen so little that mmr is not good for dbd. Compare dbd balance updates and content changes to any other popular live service game and its pathetic.

    In a game like league or apex legends it makes sense because they will update frequently and can address balance issueswith some degree of swiftness. Compare with behaviour speeds at addressing old and existing imbalances like ds, undying, metle of man, keys, moris and its a bafflingly stupid idea.

    Dbd is a casual game with some competitive players if it wants to be competitve it needs swifter responses to perk imbalances and problem gameplay mechanics.

  • Sweats will vs sweats and quit while normal people will have fun.

    It will allow bhvr to get some real stats and balance the game as well.

  • @DemonDaddy said:

    Personally I don't think it will help anyone but the Survivors in this game. A major complaint is bad teammates and how overly coordinated swf can be. So Mmr could potentially let the devs find the middle ground and adjust things to close the gap.

    Unfortunately killer will feel the changes perspectively as better survivor pairing will result in much quicker matches and que times will pair them with higher skilled Survivors regardless of where the killer skill is actually at.

    Hi, killer main here. The MMR test was brilliant for me.

    The problem with killer in this game, is that it's incredibly easy to rank up with a few strong killers, and incredibly difficult to de-rank, because even if you play badly, you still end up black pipping. The result of this, is that because you have to pick a strong killer to score high and get a lot of bloodpoints, for the grind, you reach red ranks incredibly fast, despite you not actually having the skill to be there. Once you get there, you can't go back, and now you only face sweaty SWFs who know how to 360 and gen rush. At that point, you can no longer try out new killers, because you always face the teabag squad.

    With the killer specific MMR, you can swap to a killer you have less experience with, and you will be paired up with similarly less experienced survivors. Which is exactly how it worked for me. Spirit (high exp) = tough red rank survivors, Bubba (no exp) = browns and yellow so I could get to grips with his chainsaw.

    This benefits every killer, even those top players. If you don't want to go against the sweaty commandos and you want a chill game, you have the ability to do that, by playing as a killer you have less experience with. Or, if you keep going against the teabag squad and losing, your MMR will go down, and then you'll end up with survivors of your skill level.


    Ultimately, MMR is just a different way of matchmaking. We already have rank-based matchmaking, which matches you by rank. MMR is just another similar metric, but it allows for a little greater accuracy, it's something they can tweak without messing up the ranking system, and it can be applied on a per-killer basis. These are all positives.

    It's never going to perfectly match you with your equals, it's never going to be that accurate because of the fluctuations in player counts at any given time, but it will be better than the flawed rank-based matchmaking we have now.

    If they don't implement MMR, then ranks need a major overhaul, so that newbie killers aren't trapped in the torment of red ranks.

    Something like increasing the ranks to 50, having it take twice as long to gain a rank, and be much easier to lose a pip.

  • @Someissues said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2126603#Comment_2126603

    MMR is still here though, i only get matched with high ranked survivors

    Rank based matchmaking =/= MMR based matchmaking.

  • Thought this was about MMR. Instead I get someones first time experience with HSH.

  • @Mr_K said:

    Thought this was about MMR. Instead I get someones first time experience with HSH.

    @Mr_K

    Maybe if you would invest time into actually reading, you'd understand the points being made.

    MMR is going to be implemented as the new matchmaking system based on players "skill level". Sharing my experience in HSH where there appears to be no matchmaking system ( as explained I was paired on my first match with a rank 44 meanwhile I was a rank 3) in a similar game to DBD, I thought it would be a good way to discuss seeing as players within this community find the disparity between ranks to be a big deal.

  • The only thing I was looking forward too in the MMR system was that it was my understanding that your killer's were going to each have their own MMR rating based on how you perform with them given how each killer performs differently from each other.

    This would personally make me more willing to switch up killers regularly as I wouldn't feel like I'm handicapping myself against the people I'm used to playing with. I will admit this will probably be a little rough for the lower ranks as those of us with large rosters seek to play everybody to try and get our individual character ratings sorted out, but I think it'll be good overall. It's kinda no fun when a high-skill floor character you haven't learned forced to go up against high-tier players

  • "the skill checks are a little bit harder than DBD"

    Untitled Image

    they really aren't...as long as you press the button you don't even fail.



    let me actually read the post now.


    ok, match making on hsh:s is just whoever is avaiable, because there's not a lot of people. which is why a noob can go against the best player in the game. (which is a bad thing, in case that's not clear)

    but when you get survivors that know what they're doing, you lose. in this part, dbd is very similar. only dbd is more balanced currently...

    either way, dbd mmr aims to make every game fun. meaning, you always have a chance to win and can't be steamrolled by a really good killer or swf. which, on my personal experience, it did.


    @gendoss said:

    There's also only like 3,000 people playing Home Sweet Home with an apparently bad server system. DbD has like 50,000 on PC alone, not including every console. There are a lot more players to pull from which muddies up the matchmaking a lot.

    south america doesn't even have a server...fun...

  • @FrenziedRoach said:

    The only thing I was looking forward too in the MMR system was that it was my understanding that your killer's were going to each have their own MMR rating based on how you perform with them given how each killer performs differently from each other.

    This would personally make me more willing to switch up killers regularly as I wouldn't feel like I'm handicapping myself against the people I'm used to playing with. I will admit this will probably be a little rough for the lower ranks as those of us with large rosters seek to play everybody to try and get our individual character ratings sorted out, but I think it'll be good overall. It's kinda no fun when a high-skill floor character you haven't learned forced to go up against high-tier players

    @FrenziedRoach

    That would make the most sense. Generally I feel like if you have a pretty good foundation when playing killer, trying new killers for the very first time isn't as scary of an experience.

    For instance, someone who just picked up the game playing Trapper is going to feel a lot different playing him than someone who might have started with Huntress, but had general game knowledge trying him out for the first time.

    Like I said, my only hope is that in trying to pair the 'right' players in the same lobby, we don't experience extra long queue times on either side.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2128712#Comment_2128712

    @Mr_K

    Maybe if you would invest time into actually reading, you'd understand the points being made.

    MMR is going to be implemented as the new matchmaking system based on players "skill level". Sharing my experience in HSH where there appears to be no matchmaking system ( as explained I was paired on my first match with a rank 44 meanwhile I was a rank 3) in a similar game to DBD, I thought it would be a good way to discuss seeing as players within this community find the disparity between ranks to be a big deal.

    I did read.

    Idk if HSH has match making but it does have a form of MMR that can be used for it. Also having a working match making system requires a large player base which HSH doesn't have right now. DBD barely has adequate numbers.

    If this is another rank doesn't matter thread then you should come out and say it. But with my time in red ranks, there is a noticable difference between red rank survivors and everything else. Are there potato red ranks? Of course, but not the majority of them.

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    "the skill checks are a little bit harder than DBD"

    https://i.pinimg.com/474x/32/ef/29/32ef29c934dbcb5a73bba8d26b728f48.jpg

    they really aren't...as long as you press the button you don't even fail.

    let me actually read the post now.

    ok, match making on hsh:s is just whoever is avaiable, because there's not a lot of people. which is why a noob can go against the best player in the game. (which is a bad thing, in case that's not clear)

    but when you get survivors that know what they're doing, you lose. in this part, dbd is very similar. only dbd is more balanced currently...

    either way, dbd mmr aims to make every game fun. meaning, you always have a chance to win and can't be steamrolled by a really good killer or swf. which, on my personal experience, it did.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2125589#Comment_2125589

    south america doesn't even have a server...fun...

    @Weck

    I mean, I said a little bit and yes they are different. It's almost like 3 skill checks in one.

    Untitled Image


    Point is that for a new person it's not going to be as easy the first time.

    Personally I don't have a problem going against a higher level rank, as long as I feel like I can learn and become better. Besides, if we are talking about DBD a game heavily RNG based... where many things like map set ups, maps in general, and in-game actions dictated by one side exist, fun then becomes subjective. You can go against someone as "good" as you but they struggled because as a killer you might have gotten a really bad set up, and as a survivor you might have been teamed up with bots (to put it lightly).

  • @Mr_K said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2128763#Comment_2128763

    I did read.

    Idk if HSH has match making but it does have a form of MMR that can be used for it. Also having a working match making system requires a large player base which HSH doesn't have right now. DBD barely has adequate numbers.

    If this is another rank doesn't matter thread then you should come out and say it. But with my time in red ranks, there is a noticable difference between red rank survivors and everything else. Are there potato red ranks? Of course, but not the majority of them.

    @Mr_K

    Then if you did read, why not actually bring up your point. Instead of mocking the post you could have very well just stepped away from.

    I never once said rank doesn't matter in my post. I said I don't understand why we make such a big deal when it is obviously never going to be perfect and that I am all for MMR as long as it won't negatively affect queue times which are already in bad shape.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2128796#Comment_2128796

    @Weck

    I mean, I said a little bit and yes they are different. It's almost like 3 skill checks in one.

    https://media4.giphy.com/media/uZiNfBxDTnuC65lZem/giphy.gif

    Point is that for a new person it's not going to be as easy the first time.

    Personally I don't have a problem going against a higher level rank, as long as I feel like I can learn and become better. Besides, if we are talking about DBD a game heavily RNG based... where many things like map set ups, maps in general, and in-game actions dictated by one side exist, fun then becomes subjective. You can go against someone as "good" as you but they struggled because as a killer you might have gotten a really bad set up, and as a survivor you might have been teamed up with bots (to put it lightly).

    dbd skill checks also aren't easy for someone going the first time... that's not really a point.


    fun was a description, not a criteria.

    you always have a chance to win and can't be steamrolled by a really good killer or swf

    so your game example doesn't work, because it didn't follow the actual mmr idea.

    you won't struggle any harder than the survivors, and you won't get paired with bots (unless you have similar skills to a bot)

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2128832#Comment_2128832

    dbd skill checks also aren't easy for someone going the first time... that's not really a point.

    fun was a description, not a criteria.

    you always have a chance to win and can't be steamrolled by a really good killer or swf

    so your game example doesn't work, because it didn't follow the actual mmr idea.

    you won't struggle any harder than the survivors, and you won't get paired with bots (unless you have similar skills to a bot)

    @Weck

    When I said paired with bots, I meant as a survivor, not as a killer.

    I don't like going against survivors that are clearly new where the game paired me against them simply because I decided to pick up a new killer, anymore than I do surviving with them randomly. That isn't fun for me.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2128869#Comment_2128869

    @Weck

    When I said paired with bots, I meant as a survivor, not as a killer.

    I don't like going against survivors that are clearly new where the game paired me against them simply because I decided to pick up a new killer, anymore than I do surviving with them randomly. That isn't fun for me.

    "When I said paired with bots, I meant as a survivor, not as a killer."

    so did I.