Why is tunneling so bad ATM?

I accept tunneling is a part and parcel and I don't have an issue if you're the first survivor they see - of course they're going to go for you and I think that's pretty fair game.

Literally out of all the games (about 12) tonight only 1 didnt have someone tunnel. Just to clarify I mean direct tunneling as in I said ok let's actively take the chase and a hit to make me easy target only for them to then ignore me and keep tunneling out the hooked person!

I think lucky break is needed more than ever ATM! Maybe it'll give some people a chance! (These matches are all mid rank btw) - maybe due to rank reset.

Comments

  • @RenTheCat said:

    Maybe if survivors weren't tryhards that pop 3 gens before the killer even finds them the killer wouldn't have to resort to tunneling to secure at least one kill so he's not only not humilliated but also doesn't derank and has some fun.

    If you want tunneling to not exist then make it so the killer can chill and kill at his own pace instead of being forced to tunnel or all 4 survivors will escape and teabag at the exit.

    This. This is what is wrong with the game. It is the survivors fault that the killer couldn't find them until 3 gens are done.

    How very dare they? Obviously this is every match too. If it wasn't for those pesky survivors....

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    I don't think tunneling has gotten "worse". I think now that DS isn't OP survivors are realizing they suck without it.

    It has absolutely gotten worse in the games I play (I didn't use DS before the nerf). Killers know DS isn't that good now (pretty much everything deactivates it) and are now tunneling more. I still like DBD, but I've been playing way less because of the tunneling and camping.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2112437#Comment_2112437

    It has absolutely gotten worse in the games I play (I didn't use DS before the nerf). Killers know DS isn't that good now (pretty much everything deactivates it) and are now tunneling more. I still like DBD, but I've been playing way less because of the tunneling and camping.

    Well as much as I hate tunneling, if you had time to to an action by yourself you didn't get tunneled.

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2112437#Comment_2112437

    It has absolutely gotten worse in the games I play (I didn't use DS before the nerf). Killers know DS isn't that good now (pretty much everything deactivates it) and are now tunneling more. I still like DBD, but I've been playing way less because of the tunneling and camping.

    If you jumped on an objective and started working it, you clearly were not worried about being chased. That means you were not tunneled. You chose to take an action that would require the Killer to come stop. Don't be ridiculous. DS hasn't changed one bit in so far as being effective against tunneling. It works exactly the same if you are using it to actually try to get someplace safe and heal up. If you are doing other things, stop blaming the Killer for your poor choice of actions.

  • @Clünge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2111008#Comment_2111008

    This. This is what is wrong with the game. It is the survivors fault that the killer couldn't find them until 3 gens are done.

    How very dare they? Obviously this is every match too. If it wasn't for those pesky survivors....

    Not my fault most killers can't cover the whole map super fast. Just had a match as trapper, I started walking 2 steps and I hear tinkerer trigger on the opposite side of the map. What am I supposed to do? Nurse teleport there? As trapper? Didn't even have time to set a trap before they did a gen already.

    20210415182856_1.jpg

    If you are going to abuse big maps and how fast you can do gens then of course i'm gonna tunnel and camp, why wouldn't I when it's the only way I have to at least assure I have some fun and not end up the game with 0 hooks and teabagged at the exit.

  • @BananaBlooD95 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2113916#Comment_2113916

    Well as much as I hate tunneling, if you had time to to an action by yourself you didn't get tunneled.

    That isn't true (especially against stealth killers).

  • @RenTheCat said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2112456#Comment_2112456

    Not my fault most killers can't cover the whole map super fast. Just had a match as trapper, I started walking 2 steps and I hear tinkerer trigger on the opposite side of the map. What am I supposed to do? Nurse teleport there? As trapper? Didn't even have time to set a trap before they did a gen already.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/N8B07JQ0ELBT/20210415182856-1.jpg

    If you are going to abuse big maps and how fast you can do gens then of course i'm gonna tunnel and camp, why wouldn't I when it's the only way I have to at least assure I have some fun and not end up the game with 0 hooks and teabagged at the exit.

    3 survivor on a gen take 38s, 4 take 36. Try again.

  • Not with toolboxes and prove thyself.

    4 survivors with just prove thyself is 25 seconds.

    If you think in 25 seconds (Less with even a single toolbox) a gen should be completed then cry me a river when I camp and tunnel the ######### out of those survivors. Specially because if they complete 2 more gens and I kill two of those survivors the remaining two can just escape through the hatch.

    When I see someone with a key I outright make their game the most unenjoyable experience ever since that's exactly what they wanted to do to me.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2111046#Comment_2111046

    And it's not killers fault for being forced to tunnel and slug. What are they supposed to do ? 🤣

    Hey I slug when I play killer so you'll never hear me hating on that, they're supposed to do what it takes for a kill not come on the forums and cry about survivors doing the only objective that will help them escape

  • @RenTheCat said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2112456#Comment_2112456

    Not my fault most killers can't cover the whole map super fast. Just had a match as trapper, I started walking 2 steps and I hear tinkerer trigger on the opposite side of the map. What am I supposed to do? Nurse teleport there? As trapper? Didn't even have time to set a trap before they did a gen already.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/N8B07JQ0ELBT/20210415182856-1.jpg

    If you are going to abuse big maps and how fast you can do gens then of course i'm gonna tunnel and camp, why wouldn't I when it's the only way I have to at least assure I have some fun and not end up the game with 0 hooks and teabagged at the exit.

    If tinkerer proc 2 seconds into the game they're a hacker and I would report them there's literally no way for that to happen

  • ds got nerfed. What did you expect? Game is for killers now.

  • @BananaBlooD95 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2111096#Comment_2111096

    BT for camping and DS for tunneling. Those two merely slow down a killer that really want to camp/tunnel a specific survivor.

    Most map are balance.

    Most map have decent totem placement.

    Pallet & flashlight save used to be way stronger, why can't you take 2sec and look around you for other survivor? + kIlLeR hAvE pErKs FoR tHoSe TwO tHiNgS.

    Key are getting rework and End Game Collapse in it's current state was made so the game couldn't be taken hostage. Who cares for that 1 survivor that get a hatch escape 1 game out of 10? Gate spawn usually favor killer and if you have a mobility killer if there is less than 3 survivor by the time all gen are done it's easy to get a 4k.

    "Most killers can't apply good pressure on big maps"

    Wraith, Hillbilly, Nurse, Hag, Nightmare, Spirit, Legion, Demogorgon, Oni & Blight have good mobility.

    Trapper, Doctor, Cannibal, Clown & Deathsligner are strong vs looping.

    Plague either play vs injured survivor or AOE range attack.

    Ghost Face can stalk & 1 hit survivor and/or free hit survivor.

    Thing is you need to learn how to play these killer, they have different power, different gameplay.

    At this point I'm not sure if you're just an entitle killer main or simply just a troll.

    1. Yes, this is a punishment for camping and tunneling. Stopping camping and tunneling entirely is pretty much impossible.
    2. No. Most gen spreads on maps are spread quite a bit apart and often have terribly balanced elements to them. In terms of map balance, I can immediately name, Haddonfield, the Game, The 5 badham preschool maps, most corn maps, and red forest maps (purgation being the lesser offender, and Ormond. That's a lot of bad maps for killer, and those are just the clear examples.
    3. Lol nope. For starters, there's no logic implemented in the spawns. They can always be spawned near a survivor.
    4. Ah yes, "key nerfs coming soon." Doesn't matter because it's been months since they nerfed moris into the ground, keys remain the same, and now survivors freely bring them frequently because they know killers have lost their nuclear option in response. We don't even know what the nerfs are going to be. It could be pathetic relative to the mori nerfs for all we know. End game collapse only partially stops holding the game hostage. Nothing is stopping survivors from being little turds and playing immersed when only 2 are left and simply tapping gens.
    5. Hag is a 3-genner. Legion doesn't have good mobility, just average overall. You're misinformed. Nurse and Spirit is only with add-ons. Effectively, they do have great map mobility, but it needs to be said that, otherwise, their map pressure on big maps isn't much better than a 115% killer. Demogorgon has to set up the portals in the first place, so it's semi map mobility. Oni only occasionally has access to mobility, and using it for mobility is a huge gamble.
    6. I wouldn't go as far as the guy as your replying to, because survivor's ease of play depends on the team. However, it really sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about but are trying to put yourself on a pedestal. It's well known that the majority of killers in this game are not viable for the highest level play. It really says something when the 2 viable comp killers are the ones that ignore the core mechanics of the game in some way or another (Nurse and Spirit). This talk of different playstyles does not matter, because if a killer does not have a way to get survivors off of gens, then the survivors win by default if they know where to hold M1 and how to not botch the saves. This is why killers whose only power is chase-oriented, but isn't oppressive at it, will never be high-tiers under any circumstances.
  • I think tunneling (and camping) is necessary to a certain degree. I don't get annoyed when a killer is tunneling right away. Only when its extreme tunneling. The DS change means a lot of people stopped using it (myself included) so that is another reason. It was used offensively a lot, although personally I never tried to use it that way. I probably still did, but I brought it as anti tunnel, not as a "lets do gens and tbag the killer in his face".


    Also, playing during rank reset, the first week you have to expect all ranges of killers and survivors that you dont normally get

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2111008#Comment_2111008

    And what do you suppose they do during that time? Are they supposed to eat crumpets and have a tea party until the killer finds someone? It's not the survivors fault for doing their objective

    killer mains are always gonna cry cause they want 4ks and easy wins every game also doesnt help devs promoted camping and tunneling

  • @IronKnight55 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2112437#Comment_2112437

    It has absolutely gotten worse in the games I play (I didn't use DS before the nerf). Killers know DS isn't that good now (pretty much everything deactivates it) and are now tunneling more. I still like DBD, but I've been playing way less because of the tunneling and camping.

    If your being tunneled it still works just as well. It could be because survivors can't be greedy with it, the gens are taking longer to repair. More time in the match means the killer has more chances to get hooks. Either way, I'm happy with how DS is now.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @RenTheCat said:

    Maybe if survivors weren't tryhards that pop 3 gens before the killer even finds them the killer wouldn't have to resort to tunneling to secure at least one kill so he's not only not humilliated but also doesn't derank and has some fun.

    If you want tunneling to not exist then make it so the killer can chill and kill at his own pace instead of being forced to tunnel or all 4 survivors will escape and teabag at the exit.

    100%

  • @RenTheCat said:

    Maybe if survivors weren't tryhards that pop 3 gens before the killer even finds them the killer wouldn't have to resort to tunneling to secure at least one kill so he's not only not humilliated but also doesn't derank and has some fun.

    If you want tunneling to not exist then make it so the killer can chill and kill at his own pace instead of being forced to tunnel or all 4 survivors will escape and teabag at the exit.

    Maybe if killers weren't tryharding by slugging at 5 gens or guarding 2 hooks at 4 gens would survivors not have to resort to "gen rushing" so they don't derank with less than 10k points to show for it.

  • Tunneling has been increased since the DS nerf.

    Now when people can't abuse it, it's almost never seen in a match. Which makes killers free to tunnel someone, and the majority of them will happily take that opportunity.

    I had to start using DS in my main build just to have an obsession to stop killers from tunneling, to not have a straight-up boring game, which makes me sad. Because I've never really liked DS and I still don't. But it feels like I need it to have a decent game, unfortunately.

  • we should start a change.org to rename the game tunnel by daylight, would be more fitting

  • Its not that tunneling is so bad, its just that survivors don't like not having 60 seconds of immunity. If you had time to do anything that deactivated DS, your not being tunneled.

  • @TTV_WAWAbyWibWib said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/242952/why-is-tunneling-so-bad-atm

    Killer doesn't win by racing the survivors. Killer wins by flame horizoning the survivors. You want to find critical mass, a pressure point of no return where you bring them to a complete, screeching halt. Tunneling, like slugging everyone when that's better, is a time tested and proven tactic to do so and something that killers should not only be comfortable doing but actively, aggressively and earnestly seek out.

    a person on death hook can do generators just as quickly as a person who was not yet hooked.

    Furthermore it takes time to pick up a survivor, to carry them and to hook them. The benefit of doing all of that is getting THEM out of the game faster and spending some of that time and effort invested into a survivor to give an ultimatum NOW. Ie a hostage situation where that person gets unhooked or progresses (a whooping 60 seconds per hook state which can be frozen with a nasty perk mind you). Hooking also enables some of the strongest survivor perks in the game, we'll make it, breakdown, decisive strike, deliverance, second wind and borrowed time and kindred are all really nasty. If you commit to hooking your survivor, you want the best case scenario, for them to actually die and give you something more than what you could have gotten from slugging them and NOT to accidently help the survivor team because ranger medkit claudette with we'll make it reset everyones health bar and oh they used kindred + open handed wall hacks on you for awhile, your hook is gone and deliverance incoming if you want to hook someone else later.

    Like all things in dead by daylight, a lot of the skill is in getting a good version of something that happens or is done a million times. There are many games (especially on the smaller maps) where if you're not going to seriously tunnel and finish the job hooking is a mistake and you're better off slugging everyone to death and one hooking the last guy.

    "a person on death hook can do generators just as quickly as a person who was not yet hooked"

    That actually gives me an idea. What if the amount of times you've been hooked actually did effect generator repair speed? Seems like that could be a way to reduce tunneling from a game mechanics standpoint because it would make it less desirable to do.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Can we stop victim blaming survivors for being tunneled. I have been in games where survivors are body blocking to stop the tunneling, and they walk past everyone just to kill the same person.

    This is unsportsmanlike. Period. Swap places, you wouldn't want to be in their shoes, so dont do it to other people.

    Killers are not the victims.

    (Edit: I know there have been posts everyday since tricker's release about tunneling.)

    Killers are not supposed to play nice. The sandbox you think you're in has blood and bones in it.

  • DS it’s pretty much useless now.

    so killers can tunnel very easily.

    that’s what they wanted.

    there you go guys :D

  • no obsession. Use DS

  • This content has been removed.
1 2 ›