Hook Struggle Change isn’t Going to Help
If people want to leave the match forcing them to stay a little longer isn’t going to help change their minds or help your team. Your team is going to waste their time saving the hooked person cause after they are unhooked they will more than likely just wait till the killer comes back to hook them again. So all that time you spent off a gen getting that person will be a waste. I don’t think the hook change will be effective or worth it.
Edit: I made this post due to the fact that most other posts talking about the hook struggle was to help slow down and hinder hook suicides. This post was mainly a comment on that.
Comments
You realise this is for accessibility right?
The flaw with your thinking is you think this change was designed to prevent hook suicides.
It was not.
This change is save the lives of millions of spacebars, as well as remove that horrible cramp in people's wrists.
I have Carpal Tunnel and my fingers (sometimes my entire forearm) can start to hurt when I button mash the space bar. This will be a relief for me.
It's QoL change and a bloody good one at that, not one to stop people from hook suiciding. It slows it down a little bit which can only help while preventing accidental suicides completely.
I don't know where you pulled the idea it was made to stop hook suicides.
As others have said, the main reason is to remove mashing Spacebar (or the respective button on a controller). However, I agree, there should be a suicide option.
Two times already on PTB that the guy who got unhooked just ran to the Killer to get killed ASAP. Yes, it is PTB, but this will also happen on the Live Servers. Someone who wants to suicide will not play normally when getting unhooked.
What I find interesting is that they intentionally made it so missing two skillchecks in a row automatically sacrifices you
This isn't the same as PH's cages, which will force you to go through the whole 2nd phase, albeit with penalties for every skill check.
This was not for hook suicides. This was to prevent the destruction of many spacebars and buttons from constant smashing. Not only that, it makes it less likely to immediately die on hook of the game lags.
I was worried too at first about not being able to suicide immadietely until it was revealed that you can still suicide on hook by just not attempting to hit 2 skill checks.
Sure now it's gonna take just a little bit longer but i think i would rather have that than having to mash a button on my keyboard, it gets extremely tiring.
If you suspect they want to suicide, instead of going over there immediately to help, you can just stick to whatever you were doing and observe them from afar.
If they die in 5 seconds on the Hook, you were correct.
If they stay alive for longer than that, they're actively trying to stay alive.
Anyway it seems your expectations for this change are misplaced, this is merely coming to ease the 2nd phase a bit.
I get sacrificed despite pressing X due to frame drops. This update makes me have 3 lives instead of 2, massive :D
The keyboards of the playerbase say otherwise
Yeah, it's not about hook suicides.
It's saving macro-less keyboards.
I made this post as a counter to a lot of forum posts I’ve seen talking about how this will counter hook suicides.
i love the new struggle. i dont have to get a finger cramp every time i go into struggle. but i have a feeling that solo queue teammates will SOMEHOW miss those huge skill checks
I am looking forward to this as well. I play on playstation and I fear for my x button.
Anybody know if a similar change is in the works for wiggling? I fear for my left joystick as well.
they did say they were looking into it on a twitter reply, but had nothing to show at the moment.
Speak for your bloody self.
My condition causes me to die on the hook a lot of the time because my hands seize up on me sometimes, I've been using an external program to macro it but now I no longer have to use that and worry about EAC.
This is a VERY appreciated change.
I made an edit on the post discussing everyone just talking about stopping hook suicides.
Then more to that point:
It takes like, 5 seconds or so roughly longer to ######### on hook. So the time of you leaving the gen to go for that save would have been wasted anyways if they went from first into second; and if they started killing themselves on hook you would know like 2 seconds in as their health just takes a huge drop and could just turn back around if you wanted at that point then it's up to you. That's really not a big deal. It's literally just two fairly quick back to back skill checks and your dead, that's all it takes.
It's not going to hinder hook suicides sure, but that was never it's point, it's point was for folks like me who have literal issues that button mashing like that can be problematic with- but the main thing is it isn't going to make anything worse either.
However you claim that the change "wouldn't be worth it" which is where you really kinda tilted me here, because I assure you it's ABSOLUTELY worth it.
This is complete QoL. Sure it makes hook suicides longer, but that wasn't the point of the change. I'm personally happy with this because I know people who get cramps or kill their space bar because of button mashing. I play on switch and on switch there are sometimes micro lags where if you're struggling when it happens it will auto kill you even if it wasn't intentional. I love this change because the game won't be able to just kill me because of a game lag issue.