Thoughts on camping and tunneling? (tl;dr at end of post bc it's a lot to read)

Survivor main here. Some people may agree with me and others may not and I understand that. We all have different opinions. But I got into an argument with someone else on social media and I'm here for confirmation.

Does anyone else hate going against camping, but find a legitimate, used strategy? This person doesn't seem to understand the point I am trying to make. Yes, I hate getting camped and tunneled. Yes, I find it a cheap strat. But do I find it as nothing more than pure bm and something that shouldn't be used? ...Not necessarily. Part of me likes the challenge I suppose.

The reason I don't is that even though I don't main killer, I know that usually the killer normally has a good reason for it. I've noticed very few players have camping and tunneling as their default playstyle to win. I've also found out the hard way that not many killers like head on too much.

Maybe you unhooked someone with bt. Maybe you used head on. Maybe you used DS, or got a flashlight save, or a pallet stun that made them drop someone. I had one particular game against a hag where she downed my buddy and I got the pallet stun, and she dropped them.

She tunneled and camped me for the rest of the game. And I died. Did I enjoy it? Of course not. But she had a reason she wanted to do that, even if it wasn't a very good reason. I could not escape from it, because I got the pallet stun at 5 gens left. Had I done it later, I could have made it out, but sadly that did not happen.

Anyway, in this argument, I am comparing camping and tunneling, which this person considers toxic and something that shouldn't be used, to perks like DS and head on, which can be used but are normally used in a toxic way, and shouldn't be used in such a way. I know there is only one reason for camping and tunneling, and that is that the killer wants to secure the kill; but I compare it with DS and head on because I feel like those are the only things for survivors that could be useful and bm and the same time, depending on how they're used. Teabagging and flashlight-clicking are not useful in any way other than to get the killer's attention. They will not help you escape (or win in this case).

During the argument, I clarified for this person: if you get unhooked and the killer only wants you, so you hop in a locker before you get downed so you can use your DS (because if you get downed and the killer is smart, they will leave you down and wait the timer) and hopefully get away, that is fine, and it's an example as to how the perk was meant to be used.

On the other hand, if you get unhooked and you practically force the killer to down you and/or pick you up again by teabagging, running at them, spamming fast vaults, waving at them, etc. and pretty much harassing them all so you can use DS or head on, THEN it's toxic. You see what I'm saying, right?

I get that camping and tunneling are "toxic" and rude, but they're still legitimate strategies that any killer who has perfected them can get a 4k. THAT is the point I am trying to make. Not that they SHOULD be used, or that they are strats that are fun to play against; simply that they CAN be used, and that they more than likely WILL. And that all you can do as the survivor is play to counter them the best you can. You cannot stop the killer from tunneling or camping you if they are determined to do so. The only way to do that is to DC, and DC'ing is the game-wide version of pussying out.

Because I explained this, this person is now upset because I'm "exactly what's wrong with DBD by condoning terrible behavior". I recognize that I condone it, and I don't feel bad about it because that IS DBD. That's nearly the whole playerbase. My logic is this: if you can't take the toxic, even though you KNOW that most of the playerbase is the same way, why are you still playing? If you can't get around it, it's your problem because not many other people are really going to care about how you feel while playing. Sorry, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, my friend.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm appalled this person really thinks that whining and throwing a tantrum over it is going to change anybody's mind. This is Dead by Daylight, not Dead by Love and Friendship. Grow up.

TL;DR: Person mad bc strats are "toxic". People will play however they want and there is nothing you can do about it but try your best to counter it.

Comments

  • @Kolossoni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2075427#Comment_2075427

    Okay, Oreo7. Imma lay it out like how I teach my young students, okay?

    I have a problem with camping in general, yes.

    But here's where it gets divided:

    NORMAL CAMPING

    • It sucks, yes. It ruins the fun for everyone else yes. In fact, I've said this in the very first comment in this very thread itself.

    "Survivors also have to play selfishly or must replace the hooked one instead.

    Both don't get objective points and both waste their time.

    So it's ultimately a crap experience for both parties.

    Camping forces killers to stick to one survivor and do nothing else."

    DESPERATE CAMPING AT ENDGAME

    • This is the one that I call as a "hissyfit"/"Tantrum" where killers feel entitled to get kills when they absolutely deserve none. I find this worse than normal camping in all aspects.

    Okay, now that we got the two difference clear, let me tell you that nobody called me out on anything.

    I still stick by this, have stuck by this and will stick by it.

    What others have done is made their own reasons why their opinions differ, which I also coherently answered time and time again, civilly.

    You got that now?

    I'll also take your advice in seeking therapy. While I do that, please do me a favor and go to a library and read some books. Your reading comprehension needs work.

    Nobody called you out on anything? I think you're the one that needs help with reading comprehension. People have stated over and over their claims and you've only made it sound as though you're looking down your nose at them. In fact, @Hecktic3000 even said in his last comment that you've come off as hostile this whole time.

    "Responded civilly" my foot. You've called people prejudiced, desperate, and entitled, all while acting the same way you tell people not to. Do you understand yet?

  • Can't tell if serious.....

    Doesn't matter, was more for the spectators than you anyway. I'm not going to pretend for a moment I changed your mind on anything.

  • @Oreo7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2075446#Comment_2075446

    Nobody called you out on anything? I think you're the one that needs help with reading comprehension. People have stated over and over their claims and you've only made it sound as though you're looking down your nose at them. In fact, @Hecktic3000 even said in his last comment that you've come off as hostile this whole time.

    "Responded civilly" my foot. You've called people prejudiced, desperate, and entitled, all while acting the same way you tell people not to. Do you understand yet?

    Someone has their knickers in a twist ๐Ÿ˜‚


    They've stated their claims and I stated mine.

    I never said you were wrong and I am right. There's no right or wrong in this. That's why I'm willing to discuss.

    If you become too infatuated with the wordings I have chosen instead of the essence of my message, then it seems you really do lack the reading comprehension skills or is just ignoring what I have said.


    And I frankly don't care if I come off as hostile.

    I'm calm as a sea right now, tbh. Just tired, that's all.


    And it is a fact that I have responded civilly for 98% of my posts.

    Also,

    • I've called a player prejudiced for saying something very prejudiced (he admitted it)
    • I said camping at end game was an act of desperation not that killers are always desperate.
    • I said people claiming getting last minute kills with any means necessary is being entitled.

    None of the things I said are wrong nor defaming in my books. You just need to add context to them.


    If you feel offended, then fine. It's your feelings not mine...

  • @FrenziedRoach said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2075467#Comment_2075467

    Can't tell if serious.....

    Doesn't matter, was more for the spectators than you anyway. I'm not going to pretend for a moment I changed your mind on anything.

    It's fine.

    I can't change yours, you can't change mine.

    I at least know what you were saying, so you do you!

  • When there's nothing more I can do except wait till the survivors leave.

  • @Kolossoni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2075481#Comment_2075481

    It's fine.

    I can't change yours, you can't change mine.

    I at least know what you were saying, so you do you!

    fair enough. I respect the mostly-civil discussion. I, for one, did not perceive you as hostile. Passionate? Yes. But not hostile

  • @Kolossoni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2075474#Comment_2075474

    Someone has their knickers in a twist ๐Ÿ˜‚

    They've stated their claims and I stated mine.

    I never said you were wrong and I am right. There's no right or wrong in this. That's why I'm willing to discuss.

    If you become too infatuated with the wordings I have chosen instead of the essence of my message, then it seems you really do lack the reading comprehension skills or is just ignoring what I have said.

    And I frankly don't care if I come off as hostile.

    I'm calm as a sea right now, tbh. Just tired, that's all.

    And it is a fact that I have responded civilly for 98% of my posts.

    Also,

    • I've called a player prejudiced for saying something very prejudiced (he admitted it)
    • I said camping at end game was an act of desperation not that killers are always desperate.
    • I said people claiming getting last minute kills with any means necessary is being entitled.

    None of the things I said are wrong nor defaming in my books. You just need to add context to them.

    If you feel offended, then fine. It's your feelings not mine...

    I was never upset, I'm not sure where you got that from? Either way, I'm finished. Good luck on that therapy session.

  • @FrenziedRoach said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2075490#Comment_2075490

    fair enough. I respect the mostly-civil discussion. I, for one, did not perceive you as hostile. Passionate? Yes. But not hostile

    It's the internet and texts can't convey emotions.


    I love when discussions become heated. It means opinions are clashing and that each others' messages are getting somewhat across.

    Nice talking to you though.

  • @Oreo7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2075487#Comment_2075487

    I was never upset, I'm not sure where you got that from? Either way, I'm finished. Good luck on that therapy session.

    Hahahaha sure, Oreo7.

    Best wishes for you too ๐Ÿ˜˜

  • When there's 0 gens, gates are opened, no hooked survivors and etc.

  • Honestly i am so tired of this discussion because people seem only to see black and white.

    First of all patroling is not camping.

    Second 99% of the time i was called a tunneler i did not even tunnel. And i do not experience tunneling that much when playing survivor. To me tunneling means to go out of the way to kill one specific person. I never do that, but if i bump into two survivors and its only 2 gens left of course i am going for the one that is close to death. THIS IS NOT TUNNELING. Im so fed up with beeing called a tunneler just because survivor run into me, suck at hiding or do gens right in my face. I am not going to ignore you just because your rulebook says so. Its so stupid.


    Camping on the other hand really does ruin the games for a lot of people. However i am not going to leave the hook when the exit gates are powered. This would just be stupid, yet i still get called a camper for this. I never ever camp in other situations. When you loop me close to the hook. When you are too dumb to try to hide right in front of me, when i hook someone, i am not just going to leave. I am searching for you. Whoever considers this camping, just should not play this game if this ruins it for you.


    I rarely experience true tunneling and i rarely experience true camping. Maybe one in every 5 matches someone does that and i am not going to complain about it when the person just tries to save the game because gens are popping everywhere. For most killers "tunneling" is the only way to achieve at least 2ks in red ranks. Hate the devs for making so many weak killers. Hate the devs for creating a game, where survivors always will win, when they play optimally. Survivors have SO MANY tools to counter tunneling its unbelievable, yet this complaint is still so popular.


    The kind of tunneling that is actually worth complaining about is rare. It does happen, but its not an extremely common occurence.

    I would love to play this game and be able to leave my profile on public, but the amount of hate in this community is insane. Even the greatest killers in this game have to go for the weakest link in almost every game.

  • @Oreo7 said:

    Survivor main here. Some people may agree with me and others may not and I understand that. We all have different opinions. But I got into an argument with someone else on social media and I'm here for confirmation.

    Does anyone else hate going against camping, but find a legitimate, used strategy? This person doesn't seem to understand the point I am trying to make. Yes, I hate getting camped and tunneled. Yes, I find it a cheap strat. But do I find it as nothing more than pure bm and something that shouldn't be used? ...Not necessarily. Part of me likes the challenge I suppose.

    The reason I don't is that even though I don't main killer, I know that usually the killer normally has a good reason for it. I've noticed very few players have camping and tunneling as their default playstyle to win. I've also found out the hard way that not many killers like head on too much.

    Maybe you unhooked someone with bt. Maybe you used head on. Maybe you used DS, or got a flashlight save, or a pallet stun that made them drop someone. I had one particular game against a hag where she downed my buddy and I got the pallet stun, and she dropped them.

    She tunneled and camped me for the rest of the game. And I died. Did I enjoy it? Of course not. But she had a reason she wanted to do that, even if it wasn't a very good reason. I could not escape from it, because I got the pallet stun at 5 gens left. Had I done it later, I could have made it out, but sadly that did not happen.

    Anyway, in this argument, I am comparing camping and tunneling, which this person considers toxic and something that shouldn't be used, to perks like DS and head on, which can be used but are normally used in a toxic way, and shouldn't be used in such a way. I know there is only one reason for camping and tunneling, and that is that the killer wants to secure the kill; but I compare it with DS and head on because I feel like those are the only things for survivors that could be useful and bm and the same time, depending on how they're used. Teabagging and flashlight-clicking are not useful in any way other than to get the killer's attention. They will not help you escape (or win in this case).

    During the argument, I clarified for this person: if you get unhooked and the killer only wants you, so you hop in a locker before you get downed so you can use your DS (because if you get downed and the killer is smart, they will leave you down and wait the timer) and hopefully get away, that is fine, and it's an example as to how the perk was meant to be used.

    On the other hand, if you get unhooked and you practically force the killer to down you and/or pick you up again by teabagging, running at them, spamming fast vaults, waving at them, etc. and pretty much harassing them all so you can use DS or head on, THEN it's toxic. You see what I'm saying, right?

    I get that camping and tunneling are "toxic" and rude, but they're still legitimate strategies that any killer who has perfected them can get a 4k. THAT is the point I am trying to make. Not that they SHOULD be used, or that they are strats that are fun to play against; simply that they CAN be used, and that they more than likely WILL. And that all you can do as the survivor is play to counter them the best you can. You cannot stop the killer from tunneling or camping you if they are determined to do so. The only way to do that is to DC, and DC'ing is the game-wide version of pussying out.

    Because I explained this, this person is now upset because I'm "exactly what's wrong with DBD by condoning terrible behavior". I recognize that I condone it, and I don't feel bad about it because that IS DBD. That's nearly the whole playerbase. My logic is this: if you can't take the toxic, even though you KNOW that most of the playerbase is the same way, why are you still playing? If you can't get around it, it's your problem because not many other people are really going to care about how you feel while playing. Sorry, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, my friend.

    Sorry for the rant, but I'm appalled this person really thinks that whining and throwing a tantrum over it is going to change anybody's mind. This is Dead by Daylight, not Dead by Love and Friendship. Grow up.

    TL;DR: Person mad bc strats are "toxic". People will play however they want and there is nothing you can do about it but try your best to counter it.

    I'm against camping and tunneling a survivor for simply playing the game, tho. But I understand that sometimes it can piss the killer off because they might have been dealing with some toxic survivors the match before that one, and maybe overreacted over a pallet save. Camping and tunneling is very strong if used correctly. People should do it when it's beneficial. But what I see mostly is people camping out of anger. Which is okay, because anyone can play however they want, but I don't think it's the smartest choice unless survivors are being over altruistic.

    I honestly don't get mad at the killer when I'm being camped. Specially if it's a baby killer. Because I've been there at the start. I do get mad at my teammates wasting time instead of doing gens. That's annoying. It really feels like I'm buying them time for nothing.

  • @Evilhorst said:

    Honestly i am so tired of this discussion because people seem only to see black and white.

    First of all patroling is not camping.

    Second 99% of the time i was called a tunneler i did not even tunnel. And i do not experience tunneling that much when playing survivor. To me tunneling means to go out of the way to kill one specific person. I never do that, but if i bump into two survivors and its only 2 gens left of course i am going for the one that is close to death. THIS IS NOT TUNNELING. Im so fed up with beeing called a tunneler just because survivor run into me, suck at hiding or do gens right in my face. I am not going to ignore you just because your rulebook says so. Its so stupid.

    Camping on the other hand really does ruin the games for a lot of people. However i am not going to leave the hook when the exit gates are powered. This would just be stupid, yet i still get called a camper for this. I never ever camp in other situations. When you loop me close to the hook. When you are too dumb to try to hide right in front of me, when i hook someone, i am not just going to leave. I am searching for you. Whoever considers this camping, just should not play this game if this ruins it for you.

    I rarely experience true tunneling and i rarely experience true camping. Maybe one in every 5 matches someone does that and i am not going to complain about it when the person just tries to save the game because gens are popping everywhere. For most killers "tunneling" is the only way to achieve at least 2ks in red ranks. Hate the devs for making so many weak killers. Hate the devs for creating a game, where survivors always will win, when they play optimally. Survivors have SO MANY tools to counter tunneling its unbelievable, yet this complaint is still so popular.

    The kind of tunneling that is actually worth complaining about is rare. It does happen, but its not an extremely common occurence.

    I would love to play this game and be able to leave my profile on public, but the amount of hate in this community is insane. Even the greatest killers in this game have to go for the weakest link in almost every game.

    Man, I so feel what you are saying in that second paragraph.

    Getting rescued from the hook is not immunity to do whatever you want for x amount of time.

  • I find that it's the survivor's responsibility to avoid the killer and win each chase. The killer is playing for their enjoyment and is not responsible giving additional chances to use against themselves. If your camped, it's because you failed. If your tunneled, you failed and are now on your final chance to win a chase.

  • @DemonDaddy said:

    I find that it's the survivor's responsibility to avoid the killer and win each chase. The killer is playing for their enjoyment and is not responsible giving additional chances to use against themselves. If your camped, it's because you failed. If your tunneled, you failed and are now on your final chance to win a chase.

    Exactly and if you feel so bad about being tunneled just let go and move on, the option is there.

  • take 3 out and go next, easy match, killer lost. What more do you want? If killer gets more than 1 kill by purely tunneling the same surv for 3 hooks then its a git gud issue, everyone with at least more than 300h to rub together should be able to 5 gen run killers with 3 hook states.

  • Tunneling doesn't exist. It is not a thing that happens.

    What survivor players refuse to understand is if you are closer to being removed from the game, you are a high priority target. Especially if your jackass friends are playing hyperaltruistic, because that means it'll be easy to bait them into making a stupid play and getting you both killed. That's not 'tunneling' or 'toxic' or whatever the ######### else, it's target prioritization.

  • @SnowMiser said:

    Tunneling doesn't exist. It is not a thing that happens.

    What survivor players refuse to understand is if you are closer to being removed from the game, you are a high priority target. Especially if your jackass friends are playing hyperaltruistic, because that means it'll be easy to bait them into making a stupid play and getting you both killed. That's not 'tunneling' or 'toxic' or whatever the ######### else, it's target prioritization.

    Right, if i as a killer player see you're not good and can down you easy then ill do that till you're dead. Cant blame me for killing the weak link, they have to learn to play better.

  • @Hektic3000 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2075605#Comment_2075605

    Right, if i as a killer player see you're not good and can down you easy then ill do that till you're dead. Cant blame me for killing the weak link, they have to learn to play better.

    Sometimes it's not even killer priority so much as it's the other survivors making the one being tunneled the only available target. For example, having the killer chase them to where you are and, instead of veering away when they realize you're there on gens, they try to ditch the killer in whatever is near you. Or unhooking you in a risky situation and not even trying to take the hit for you when they can when they don't have Borrowed Time.

  • What a long winding road that was.

    Just gonna add, I don't like killers who quit before the game is over. Until my team is out the door, the game is still on. The Survivor team hasn't won until they have successfully escaped, just like the killer hasn't won until they are dead. Quitting at the end is like a qb kneeling for every down during the 4th quarter, just sad. Egc is the funniest time to be chased.

  • @AsherFrost said:

    Unfortunately it is a prevalent thought pattern here. People tend to believe that they are entitled to have a great time every second of the match, but losing isn't fun, so they get upset. Glad to see Survivor mains out there that understand it's just a game and both sides are trying to win :)

    Id agree if tunneling and hook camping didnt end up with the other 3 leaving and not losing pips 95% of the time.

  • camping and tunnelling is always gonna be in the game and no matter what people say from both sides, in the end, NOBODY is gonna listen.

1 2 3 โ€บ