How do you counter Pyramid Head?

Seriously, I need some help. I struggle so much against Pyramid Head in a 1v1 scenario and I really need to know what this killer’s counters are. I feel like I have a better time against Nurse and Spirit than I do P Head, even though the counters to a good Nurse and at least average Spirit are literally nonexistent.

So, is there something I can do to improve my performance against P Head? If so, please let me know. Thank you so much to everyone who responds.

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    have you tried dropping pallets before he has enough range and time to prepare its power and launch? if you do that, you can loop and prediction attacks are easy to dodge with good reflexes. pyramid will eventually hit you but it will take time depending on loop size, prepare to run away straight to another loop with injury speed boost

    Yeah I have, but it doesn’t always seem to be a guarantee counter. If he does stick his sword in the ground before I can get to the pallet, I will throw the pallet and get hit by the shock wave or I’ll not drop the pallet, pick his sword up, and he’ll catch up to me anyway.

  • His entire shtick is the 1v1. It's intentionally not fair.

    Pre-drop pallets or hope he falls for window fakes.

  • @RepostRiposte said:

    His entire shtick is the 1v1. It's intentionally not fair.

    Pre-drop pallets or hope he falls for window fakes.

    I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks his current ability is unfair. Thanks for the response.

  • @RepostRiposte said:

    His entire shtick is the 1v1. It's intentionally not fair.

    Pre-drop pallets or hope he falls for window fakes.

    This.

    If the pallet is still up and he's within range he pretty much always gets the hit with range or melee.

  • Play him, learn from what other survivors do to you.

  • My favorite counter to him is to get as much distance away from him as possible (aka hold W). This prevents him from getting those pesky Rites of Judgement hits due to its limited range.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2073706#Comment_2073706

    you need to avoid that by running away earlier, distance is vital against pyramid

    if you are stuck in that situation don't drop pallet, preserve it for later and run to another loop instead

    even running to the corner of map is effective if all loops are used

    Yeah I guess. It’s just when he does eventually catch up, I’m stuck in that situation where nothing I do matters.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2073719#Comment_2073719

    that is natural and expected. delay him as much as you can, accept your fate and hope your teammates are useful

    I see what you mean. Sometimes my teammates are P3 Blendettes that just want to hide which makes it even more frustrating to deal with. Anyways, thanks for the help. I appreciate it a lot, I’ll certainly use this advice and apply it to my strategy.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2073707#Comment_2073707

    I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks his current ability is unfair. Thanks for the response.

    I'm not saying PH is unfair, just that he is a chase-focused killer and thus the chase is pretty heavily biased against survivors.

    If both players are equally skilled the PH has a good chance to get hits where other killers will not.

    As usual, your best strategy is to split up on gens. He has no mobility so in my eyes he's not even near killers like Blight, Spirit, or Nurse.

  • Get a feel of his play style, see if he likes to fake his power or just goes for it at every single loop. Watch for range addons. Immediately break los after vaults or pallet drop while using you advantage of having 3rd person pov

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2073713#Comment_2073713

    Yeah I guess. It’s just when he does eventually catch up, I’m stuck in that situation where nothing I do matters.

    It's the Nurse/Spirit situation where if it's a good Pyramid Head that's exactly how it's gonna feel. But if it's not then it's not so bad. I think the best you can do is to not vault windows when he's close, because you're almost always only gonna get hit with his power when you're locked in an animation and that's bound to happen eventually. As for pallets...you're on your own with that one lol it's a lose-lose unless the PH messes it up. It's a bit similar to Huntress' 50/50 at pallets except PH isn't punished as much for it and you probably won't get another loop out of the pallet if he tried to bait and you guessed right unless it's a short pallet.

  • If he buttrides you with his power, he'll always get a hit. He'll hit you while throwing the pallet or if you fake it, he'll just cancel and M1 you. They tried to give it a buffer between canceling but it doesn't work.

  • @ALostPuppy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2073719#Comment_2073719

    It's the Nurse/Spirit situation where if it's a good Pyramid Head that's exactly how it's gonna feel. But if it's not then it's not so bad. I think the best you can do is to not vault windows when he's close, because you're almost always only gonna get hit with his power when you're locked in an animation and that's bound to happen eventually. As for pallets...you're on your own with that one lol it's a lose-lose unless the PH messes it up. It's a bit similar to Huntress' 50/50 at pallets except PH isn't punished as much for it and you probably won't get another loop out of the pallet if he tried to bait and you guessed right unless it's a short pallet.

    Yeah that is true. It does feel like I have no control over it. I just wonder if there is anything I can do to help me avoid a situation like that in the first place.

    @AVoiceOfReason said:

    If he buttrides you with his power, he'll always get a hit. He'll hit you while throwing the pallet or if you fake it, he'll just cancel and M1 you. They tried to give it a buffer between canceling but it doesn't work.

    Yeah, his rework didn’t really fix the issue. Otz even proved that I think.

  • Break line of sight, so he has to guess with his power. He's one of the easiest killers to bait because of this reason. Just never let yourself get trapped in a position where he can guarantee a hit, such as a tight corridor with no way out or LoS break.

  • @Eninya said:

    Break line of sight, so he has to guess with his power. He's one of the easiest killers to bait because of this reason. Just never let yourself get trapped in a position where he can guarantee a hit, such as a tight corridor with no way out or LoS break.

    Breaking LoS is a good strategy, but I feel like a good P Head will be patient and just wait to catch up to you. They’ll only use their power at loops and right on top of you, which is where I struggle the most.

  • You can't win in the 1v1. His power makes it so you lose regardless of what you do. Drop the pallet? He uses his wave attack. Don't drop it? He hits you normally.

    The control of the interaction is completely in his control because even if you fake the drop or something, it takes him a second to cancel the attack and hit you normally.

    It's like Spirit or Nurse, split up and do the gens ASAP. That's the counterplay.

  • @Zaytex said:

    You can't win in the 1v1. His power makes it so you lose regardless of what you do. Drop the pallet? He uses his wave attack. Don't drop it? He hits you normally.

    The control of the interaction is completely in his control because even if you fake the drop or something, it takes him a second to cancel the attack and hit you normally.

    It's like Spirit or Nurse, split up and do the gens ASAP. That's the counterplay.

    Yeah. It’s kind of a shame some killers are like that. That’s why I love playing against Billy or Blight because when I get downed by them, I usually complement the killer player because they made a great play.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2073849#Comment_2073849

    Breaking LoS is a good strategy, but I feel like a good P Head will be patient and just wait to catch up to you. They’ll only use their power at loops and right on top of you, which is where I struggle the most.

    This is the safe strategy, but you have to remember that this costs him extra time flat out to secure hits. His power is the high risk, high reward option.