Thoughts on playing as and against Pyramid Head?
I've been playing PH for a few months now, probably about two, was horrible at him the first few times but later started getting better at him and started having fun, lotta 3ks and 4ks. The most interesting part of playing as him is the constant stress. It's really scary when you miss your rites of judgement on someone, I don't know why.
Playing against him is just as scary, especially when his rites of judgement barely hit you. The anxiety...
Any PH mains or players that'd like to share their thoughts on playing as him? And for survivor mains, any thoughts on playing against him?
Comments
He's sometimes annoying to play against, but he's better to play against than dickslinger
Useless power that can only be used in animation locks and "calculated" guesses behind walls that survivors can fully avoid.
Your red stain shines under walls and through gaps giving your aim away before you even shoot and is 100% useless in the open or at low wall loops while the survivor has full control.
There are plenty of potatoes that never play killer for you to kill. But once you go up against a good survivor or someone that plays him the cracks in his power show.
Quote: "The most interesting part of playing as him is the constant stress. It's really scary when you miss your rites of judgement on someone, I don't know why."
Missing a Punishment Of The Damned shot is stressful because it severely punishes Pyramid Head as you're forced to stand still for 2.25 seconds while the survivor runs away and makes a ton of distance. Just ask yourself: How many killers in DBD literally "stand still" for multiple seconds after each use of their power?
Playing as him is basically like playing a sniper sitting on a "Silent Hill" for days waiting for their target. You know that -against good survivors- missing a couple shots will cost you the game so you have to make it count.
You have to prepare your shots carefully and keep the depleting Rites Of Judgement bar in mind while preparing to flick that shot precisely to the window or pallet that the survivor is possibly aiming for.
On top of that you have to study each survivor individually as some people are more likely to "bait" let's say a vault than others and since your "calibre 0.50 sniper-shockwave" takes a while to hit the target you will have to learn to take factors into account such as distance to the target, angle etc. before you can accurately decide when to go for a shot (or not).
Last but not least since his shockwave is not a moving projectile unlike Huntress' hatchets he doesn't get carried by "bs-latency-hits" further contributing to the "sniper comparison".
That's what it feels like playing as him in my opinion.
Thanks for the tips, and a really, REALLY great take. I think the issue I had was me trying to focus but got too distracted by my anxiety. Your point makes sense, it's what really gives me that feeling when playing Hillbilly and then crashing into a wall. Now I'm encouraged to try playing PH again, lol.
Really, really strong to play, absolutely miserable to play against because so many really bad PH's only ever go for animation-locked hits or the free m1's they get from threatening them.
Fun to play as he can deal with safe and god pallets. My only problem with him is that his addons suck and that when I'm putting trails down, I move slower then survivors for 1 second every time I do it
Idm playing against Pyramid Head he's pretty loopable if you're good at predictions and split second timing.
One tip is if you're running through a pallet and he's really close with his ranged attack ready. Run into his face, you don't get hit by the ranged attack if they let it go and your directly in front of him or if he let's it go because he loses you it gives you the opportunity to drop the pallet for distance or to loop it.
One thing I will say is if you don't play super safe there's a good chance he might get you on a loop if he has his range addons as there's really no way to account for it without being sure and not screwing up the loop and getting hit anyway unless you're good at spins.
I'm suprised so few people know about it. Yeah there's a small gap of space where you aren't damaged. You have to time it right and then move out the way immediately (left or right) but it works wonders, the PH usually starts spinning themselves tryna see where I went. I only know because a survivor did it to me once and then explained in post game chat. It's worked wonders for me since
Lol how many hits do you get because people panic about your ranged power? I stopped playing him because I got bored of him when I got to green ranks so I've never really tried him against top tier survivors
Lmaoo that's bizarre asff
Do they just always assume you're baiting or?
I know you didn't ask me but it's pretty much as @Zozzy said. Against strong survivors you will mostly zone and go for the M1 as they don't give a damn about the shockwave.
They know you can't immediately shoot even after planting the Great Knife (built-in delay).
They know exactly how at what distance they can casually dodge the shockwave or even vault before the shockwave hits you.
They know you have no power the second they loop around elevations like the stair-loops on Hawkins.
Against top tier survivors like Exlelite, Sawpalin etc you will mostly zone because they will abuse the hell out of you by just holding forward if you dare miss a shot or two.
However if I notice someone is not even looking behind them I too will go for prediction shots through the wall and feel like a god haha...
He can be fun to play as but sometimes I find the latency or the hitbox on POTD a little too unforgiving. If they’re within the red but now absolute extreme precision dead center then it doesnt count
Playing against PH Ive only had bad PH so far. I just hear him firing POTD attacks in the distance all trial, these PHs often seem to get run for most of the game
Yeah that rework really ruined a lot of what made him good. The fact that survivors can exploit him like this shifted a large amount of control in the chase from him to them, there’s little he can do against that at some loops because if he doesn’t have his m2 primed then they just run another loop or drop the pallet and get away.
Even worse is if you fire your m2 all it takes is the smallest flick to the side, we’re talking a millimetre shift on screen and POTD misses.
Probably deep down one of the reasons I play him less he feels so stiff and clunky now
He is easy mode according to survivor mains
Haven’t really played him much but besides his stupid tunnelling potential he’s very fun to fight imo
He's by far one of my least favorite killers to face. A good PH can just deny every window and pallet. Yeah he doesn't have good mobility but it doesn't even matter if he's an overpowered chaser.
As a survivor main, I originally thought PH was a top tier killer, and would be as common as spirit. However, he does have more weaknesses due to his speed, and the stand still after using his power. He’s still pretty strong, and fun to play against, but once you learn how to force him to use his power and miss, it’s very hard for him to beat you. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not easy to keep him from downing you, it takes skill and practice, and quick reflexes. What I learned to do to beat him are basically two things:
A good PH player will give you a run for your money though. You can’t make many mistakes or he’ll eat your lunch.
That's quite a gutsy statement from that survivor - to admit they are the equivalent of easy mode :D.
If you think missing a range attack with PH is stressful try playing Nurse. Unlike PH you literally have to use your power every time you want to hit someone.
I think he's super fun both ways. I feel intimidating when I play him in a way that other killers don't.
I actually like it when survivors break line of sight with me, especially around rocks and such, as I can use a range attack through the obstacle and because the survivor also blocked -their own- line of sight, they have far less time to react. Doing this paired with the addon that increases your attack range and I score quite a few blind hits, especially since I know around rocks and such that survivors tend to hug them when they run around them.
Another tip for pallets and windows, if you know the survivor is going to for it attack early. Just as the person said to drop pallets early, attacking early can also score hits as they typically are expecting you to wait and attack them in the animation lock
Whoa, thanks everyone for the replies :O I learned a lot from all of your thoughts!
Thanks, and no worries! I don't wanna stress you out. To answer your question I'm not necessarily maining him (I considered him as one of my mains for a little while until I decided to play different killers) but I am playing him often. Otz's PH guide was pretty damn good btw.
Some tips for playing against him:
For playing as him: